HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read somewhere she had to have invitro feritializition or whatever they used back then. I don't if there is any truth to it. But it doesn't really matter because they were very happy.

I think they could have had artificial insemination, but remember they've only done in vitro the last 25 years of so (think Louise Brown). I have heard that in connection with the family of George VI and another royal family (but I can't remember which).

Last edited by a moderator:
That story was reported by Kitty Kelley in her book The Royals. Ms. Kelley claims to have spoken to a woman who had the same gynecologist as The Queen Mum and knew what was being done.
Personally, I really don't know how much creedence I would give Ms. Kelley.

Doctors are not supposed to give that type of information. It is against the law. Especially sence it was the Queen Mum it seems that information would be strictly guarded!

I'd take anything Kitty Kelley said with a grain of salt.

i found this extraordinary picture of the queen mother with they grandchildren for her 90th birthday.
photo from the book "In celebration of the Queen Mother's Ninetieth Birthday"
77_1_b.jpg

That is a lovely picture of the Queen Mum with her great grandchildren.

corazon said:
i found this extraordinary picture of the queen mother with they grandchildren for her 90th birthday.
what cute picture with great-grandchildren together with HM Queen Mother if you have more pictures with HM Queen Mother and great-grandchildren?

i have the photos from william and harry christenings, and the chatto childrens christening, in the photo is the queen mother with her granchildren in her arms.

Queen Mother was beautiful and she was wise to grandchildren. Queen Mother was love much Crown Prince Charles. They was much together many years to Queen Mother death 101 age.

corazon said:
I LOVE the fact that George VI's portrait is on the wall behind the QM and the children; it's like, although he wasn't able to see them in life, he is watching over his growing family in death. So neat!

Queen Mother
picturepress

Queen Mother
Picturepress and V&A

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2281182_1,00.html

This is an extract from a new book by someone who worked for the late Queen Mother and is very very amusing. I don't really like tell-all books but this seems to be done in a sweet way and gives a good insight into the Queen and the Prince of Wales too. The book will be a must have.

I just read the article that BeatrixFan posted, it's really good I can't wait to read the book. :)

I'm glad you liked it lord rankin. I liked it because it showed the Queen Mother that I'd always imagined.

wymanda said:
£2m memorial to Queen Mother

By Simon Freeman, Times Online

Gordon Brown today announced plans for a £2 million public memorial to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother outside Buckingham Palace. The monument in The Mall will be financed by the proceeds of a commemorative coin to be struck to mark the Queen’s 80th birthday next year.

Did this ever happen?

Apparantly, the statue is being sculpted and will be unveiled next year next to the statue of George V in the Mall.

Didn't the author of that book have to sign a confidentiality agreement, or has the royal family given up on trying to enforce them?

Well, I believe that they don't mind the older, longer serving members writing books that are positive in their outlook. A little leak can be a very helpful thing at times and if this book is affectionate towards them all and doesn't say anything rotten then there probably won't be a problem with it. Guy Hunting wrote his book about Royal service and it was quite sweet and Prince Charles even attended the book launch so it seems it depends on the content and the author.

I'm glad you liked it Bella and Romy :flowers:
Today I have a family portrait I really love. It was taken in 1990 and the Queen Mother used it as her christmas card. You can see four generations, including new born Eugenie, on this pic and it's quite rare in my eyes..

242a4o9.jpg

(Majesty)

This is indeed a great picture. And yet another rare one. Thanks Iceflower for all these treasures you find. I think they all look fabulous. Andrew is so cute! I can't believe how tiny Eugenie is, and to think now she's a teenager! How time flies. Thanks again, Iceflower!

A lovely story I discovered surfing the BBC site. This told by the old Bishop of Manchester.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I was sitting next to her at a dinner at Sandringham, and the tradition was that after dinner we would all watch a film of the Duke of Edinburgh's choosing. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She turned to me and said she didn't fancy the film and was going to watch Dad's Army instead and would I like to join her. We ended up watching three videos, just her and me, and it was great fun."[/FONT]

BeatrixFan said:
Well, I believe that they don't mind the older, longer serving members writing books that are positive in their outlook. A little leak can be a very helpful thing at times and if this book is affectionate towards them all and doesn't say anything rotten then there probably won't be a problem with it. Guy Hunting wrote his book about Royal service and it was quite sweet and Prince Charles even attended the book launch so it seems it depends on the content and the author.

Actually I just read in one of Penny Junor's books that until some of the tell-all stuff about Charles and Diana started hitting the bookshops, confidentiality agreements expired when the royals concerned died. It's only recently that they've closed that loophole. So if that's true, it means that long-term employees of the Queen Mother who signed their agreements many years ago might be free to write about her now.

Was Queen Mother an abused wife?

I came across some references to a recent article claiming that George VI physically abused his wife. While there was probably some idealization of their relationship, I think this scenario is pretty unlikely (I don't think Elizabeth would have tolerated this).

Has anyone else seen this article, and what do you think about this interpretation of their relationship?

Do you remember where you saw the references?

Conventional wisdom is that she was the stronger (mentally and emotionally, at any rate) partner, but I suppose when it's known that George VI was prone to rages, it's a short step to claims of abuse.

There is a documentary on Channel 4 next week which is going to suggest that the Queen Mother's marriage wasn't that happy and that she hated Wallis Simpson because she got the Prince she wanted. Personally, I don't think that is the case. I could understand George VI having a short temper - thrown into a job he was never prepared to and coping with a speech impediment that would frustrate anyone. But I doubt he abused the Queen Mother at all.

I suppose it's likely, but I think Queen Elizabeth could have squashed the King like a bug.

Back
Top Bottom