HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It wasn't enough that Edward VIII abdicated and was exiled, Queen Mum had to continue to heap every abuse on him that was within her power

I think you get confused who actually did abused who!.......

Attachments

• _837634_queen_george_150.jpg
    _837634_queen_george_150.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 3,127
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

Attachments

• glamis2.jpg
    glamis2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,831
Originally posted by moosey60@Oct 26th, 2003 - 9:09 pm
Yes, four of her relatives stood vigil:

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales
Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex

I think the fourth member may have been Prince Phillip- for a while, or perhaps Princess Anne's husband...? Prince Michael of Kent?

Does anyone know who the fourth person was? It was a man...I'm sure of that. It may have been Captain Phillips, Prince Phillip, or Prince Michael...
The fourth person was Viscount Linley

Yes,Viscount Linley is son of late Princess Margaret,and grandson of The Queen Mother.He is also brother of Lady Sarah Chatto.

sara1981 said:
i think he died but she been attend funeral but she is Queen!

Sara Boyce
I do not think so.At that time, Prince Claus still live.He died in October 2002.Maybe he was too ill to attend.

Here are some of my favourites. They are from the same photoshoot in 1927.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 861
  • April 17.jpg
    April 17.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 932
Last edited by a moderator:
Memorial to the Queen Mum

£2m memorial to Queen Mother

By Simon Freeman, Times Online

Gordon Brown today announced plans for a £2 million public memorial to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother outside Buckingham Palace. The monument in The Mall will be financed by the proceeds of a commemorative coin to be struck to mark the Queen’s 80th birthday next year.

Details of the proposal - announced, fittingly, as the Queen Mother Champion Chase got underway at Cheltenham - have yet to be finalised. One proposal is, however, to add the Queen Mother's likeness and a new fountain to an existing statue of her husband George VI, which overlooks Horse Guards Parade.

The Chancellor told the Commons: “Mr Deputy Speaker, it is right to honour the life and service of the Queen Mother with a permanent memorial to her. “After approval from Her Majesty the Queen, I can announce that the Treasury will allocate the proceeds from a new coin celebrating the Queen’s 80th birthday to a memorial to the Queen Mother to be situated on The Mall.”

It is understood that Mr Brown, in his role as Master of the Mint, discussed the memorial with the Queen yesterday afternoon when he outlined his Budget during a confidential royal audience at Buckingham Palace. Talks had also been held with the Prince of Wales at Clarence House, his London residence.

The Queen Mother, who died on March 30, 2002, aged 101, was arguably Britain’s best-loved Royal. Mr Brown’s announcement is a measure likely to receive widespread support, particularly among the elderly.

Whoever is put in charge of the project will be keen to avoid the pitfalls which beset the last major public project to commemorate a member of the royal family. Mr Brown himself was the chairman of the committee which oversaw the £3.6 million Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park, which has been beset by safety, drainage and design problems and is presently closed.

Andrew Pierce, editor of The Times's People column, said: “This will undoubtedly be a very popular measure but I think if the coin sales are better than expected there will be a clamour for a stand-alone monument.

“The Prince of Wales and the Queen will be the key figures in making the decision. Gordon Brown is well aware of the potential pitfalls and I am certain there will be a concerted effort to ensure there is no repeat of the debacle which surrounded Diana’s fountain.”

If they added a statue of her to the one of the King, it wouldn't be able to be a "Queen Mum" sort of statue, which is how most people remember her (or it'd look as though the King was there with his mother). I think a stand-alone statue of the Queen Mum in the middle of a flower garden might be closer to how most people remember her. She was Queen for 15 years or so, but Queen Mum for a great deal longer.

I agree, the monument will be odd because of the gap of age between the two.

That is a good point about the age difference in the statues. I think it's a fantastic thing to do. A for those who will be opposed, how do they think we got statues in the first place for people to go and admire?

Elisabeth Bowes Lyon had a wonderful Relationship with Charles. Here are some Pics to show this bonding:

1. 1950 - Elisabeth and Charles at Annes Babtism
2. 1954 - Elisabeth and Charles
3. 1957 - Elisabeth and Charles
4. 1975 - Elisabeth and Charles
5. 1985 - Elisabeth and Charles

Attachments

• 1950 - 21 Oktober - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    1950 - 21 Oktober - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,012
  • 1954 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    1954 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,859
  • 1957 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    1957 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,072
  • 1975 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    1975 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,894
  • 1985 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    1985 - Elisabeth mit Charles 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,270
1.The Queen and Lady Sarah Chatto arriving at Westminster Hall to witness HM The Queen Mother's coffin being brought in ceremonial procession from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to Westminster Hall for the Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002

2+3+4+5.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION The ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall Photo: Members of the Royal Family in the procession on 5/4/2002

Attachments

• UCA_019093C_20.jpg
    UCA_019093C_20.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 594
  • UA_019096B.jpg
    UA_019096B.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 606
  • UCA_019093C_24.jpg
    UCA_019093C_24.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 679
  • UC_019099_B.jpg
    UC_019099_B.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 639
  • UA_019097B.jpg
    UA_019097B.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 767
1.Rev WILLIAM BOOTH Sub-Dean of HM Chapels Royal Domestic Chaplain to HM The Queen Saying prayers before the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother as it lies at rest in the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace.

2.HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II Leaving Windsor Castle to look at floral tributes left by members of the public in memory of her mother HM the Queen Mother who died at Windsor on Saturday age 101.

3.HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II HRH DUKE OF EDINBURGH and MUNRO DAVIDSON At Windsor Castle, where they looked at floral tributes left by members of the public in memory of HM the Queen Mother who died at Windsor on Saturday aged 101.

4.Pallbearers placing the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in a hearse in preparation for its journey to London. The Queen Mother died on Saturday aged 101. Her Lying in State at Westminster Hall will take place from Friday 5th to Monday 8th April and her funeral will take place on Tuesday, 9th April at Westminster Abbey.

5.HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II HRH DUKE OF EDINBURGH and MUNRO DAVIDSON At Windsor Castle, where they looked at floral tributes left by members of the public in memory of HM the Queen Mother who died at Windsor on Saturday aged 101.

6.HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II Meeting well-wishers at Windsor Castle when she went to look at floral tributes left by members of the public in memory of her mother HM the Queen Mother who died at Windsor on Saturday aged 101.

Attachments

• B68_082614.jpg
    B68_082614.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 687
  • B68_082617.jpg
    B68_082617.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 776
  • B68_082619.jpg
    B68_082619.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 729
  • B68_082611.jpg
    B68_082611.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 617
  • B68_082615.jpg
    B68_082615.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 732
  • B68_082616.jpg
    B68_082616.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 745
1.Pipe Major JIM MOTHERWELL Pipe Major to HM The Queen Mother Followed by pallbearers carrying the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother from the Royal Chapel of All Saints prior to its journey to London. The Queen Mother died on Saturday aged 101. Her Lying in State at Westminster Hall will take place from Friday 5th to Monday 8th April and her funeral will take place on Tuesday, 9th April at Westminster Abbey in London.

2.HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES and Right: HRH THE DUKE OF YORK with Centre: Rt Rev DAVID CONNER Dean of Windsor Gathering for Evensong at the Royal Chapel of All Saints, close to Royal Lodge, the Windsor home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, who died on Saturday aged 101. Her funeral will be held in London on Tuesday, 9th April 2002.

3.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION Crowds lining the route of the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

4.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION The ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

5.HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II and HRH DUKE OF EDINBURGH Returning to Buckingham Palace after the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

6.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION The ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

Attachments

• UA_019096A.jpg
    UA_019096A.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 558
  • UA_019095B.jpg
    UA_019095B.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 648
  • UA_019095E.jpg
    UA_019095E.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 603
  • B68_082597.jpg
    B68_082597.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 567
  • B68_082609.jpg
    B68_082609.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 554
  • UA_019095D.jpg
    UA_019095D.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 519
1.HRH COUNTESS OF WESSEX Arriving at Westminster Hall to await the arrival of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's coffin being brought in ceremonial procession from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to Westminster Hall for the Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002.

2.Lady SARAH CHATTO Niece of HM Queen Elizabeth II Leaving Westminster Hall following the ceremonial procession which took the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002.

3.HRH DUKE AND DUCHESS OF KENT Leaving Westminster Hall following the ceremonial procession which took the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002.

4.HRH DUKE OF KENT; HRH DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER; HRH DUCHESS OF KENT and HRH DUKE OF KENT Leaving Westminster Hall following the ceremonial procession which took the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002.

5.HRH PRINCESS ALEXANDRA; HRH PRINCE MICHAEL and HRH PRINCESS MICHAEL OF KENT Leaving Westminster Hall following the ceremonial procession which took the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State on 5/4/2002.

6.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION The ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

7.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION Irish Guardsmen carrying the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother into Westminster Hall for her Lying-in-State with The Queen watching on 5/4/2002.

Attachments

• UA_019098B.jpg
    UA_019098B.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 640
  • UC_019100_A.jpg
    UC_019100_A.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 739
  • UC_019100_E.jpg
    UC_019100_E.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 737
  • UC_019100_F.jpg
    UC_019100_F.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 742
  • UC_019100_G.jpg
    UC_019100_G.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 724
  • UC_019100_H.jpg
    UC_019100_H.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 579
  • UC_019100_B.jpg
    UC_019100_B.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 625
1.HRH THE DUKE OF YORK In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

2.HRH THE PRINCESS ROYAL In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

3.HRH THE EARL OF WESSEX In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

4.HRH PRINCE HARRY In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

5.HRH THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

6.HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

7.QUEEN MOTHER'S PROCESSION The ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

8.WREATH FROM THE QUEEN In the ceremonial procession taking the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from the Queen's Chapel, St James' Palace to her Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall on 5/4/2002.

Attachments

• UE_019103_J.jpg
    UE_019103_J.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 858
  • UE_019103_P.jpg
    UE_019103_P.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 540
  • UE_019103_Q.jpg
    UE_019103_Q.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 574
  • UE_019103_N.jpg
    UE_019103_N.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 571
  • UE_019103_M.jpg
    UE_019103_M.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 571
  • UE_019103_K.jpg
    UE_019103_K.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 578
  • UE_019103_I.jpg
    UE_019103_I.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 727
  • UE_019103_H.jpg
    UE_019103_H.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 589
H.M. Margrethe said:
Who come HRH the Duke of York don´t have the same kinde of ribbon like HRH the POW and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh has ?
He is in a uniforme like POW and the duke of Edinburgh...

I assume you are meaning the blue ribbon which the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and Princess Royal are all wearing. This is the ribbon of the Order of the Garter. As the Duke of York is not a member of that order he is not entitled to wear the ribbon. If and when he ever becomes an member, which is highly unlikely in my opinion, he will then be able to wear it.

Yes it was that blue ribbon that the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal i was thinking about...
Why do you think that it will be unlikely for the Duke of York to use it when he will be a member of The Order of the Gater ??

I would like to know the names of all the medals worn by the Duke of Edinburgh. But I've never found them. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what Anne's sash and orders mean?
Why doesn't Edward have any?

H.M. Margrethe said:
Yes it was that blue ribbon that the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal i was thinking about...
Why do you think that it will be unlikely for the Duke of York to use it when he will be a member of The Order of the Gater ??

I don't think that he will be unlikely to use the ribbon WHEN he becomes a member of the order.

I doubt IF he will become a member of the order which is why I think that it is unlikely that he will ever wear the ribbon in question.

The next royal to probably be created a member of the order of the garter is William, unless Charles becomes King first in which case I expect him to give the garter to Camilla as the spouse of the monarch, which is why both the late Queen Mum and the Duke of Edinburgh have been so honoured (yes I know Philip was made a member in 1947 but that was because he was marrying the future Queen and not for anything special that he had done).

It is not normal for all the children of the monarch to become members, which is why I doubt that Andrew will get that honour. I also doubt that William will be so honoured.

Charles was made a member because he is the Prince of Wales and Princess Anne in recognition of her incredible work load, an unusual honour for a Princess not in direct line to the throne. The Queen herself was made a member in 1947 shortly before her wedding. I don't believe that Princess Margaret was ever a member but I will stand corrected on that one.

Great post. I was wondering, why do the bells that toll after Her Majesty's funeral have such a distinct sound to them? I remember Diana's funeral had the same thing. I heard someone say that it had something to do with leather straps put on them, or something. I'm not sure. Whatever it is, do they have a name for the technique they use? Just wondering.

Last edited:
ElisaR said:
I would like to know the names of all the medals worn by the Duke of Edinburgh. But I've never found them. :rolleyes:
Found! Someone asked to this month Royal Insight which medals were worn by the Duke at the fleet review. I suppose they are always the same, so they are:

1939 - 1945 Star
Atlantic Star
Africa Star
Burma Star (with pacific rosette)
Italy Star
War Medal 1939 - 1945 with Mention in Despatches
King George VI Coronation Medal
QE II Coronation Medal
QE II Jubilee Medal
Canadian Forces Decoration (2 bars)
New Zealand Commemoration Medal 1990
Malta Cross 50th Anniversary Medal 1992
Greek War Cross 1950
Croix de Guerre (France) with palm 1948

Buckingham Palace State Rooms Open To The Public Photos from gettyimages

#1: Assistant curator Catherine de Guitaut adjusts a a dress on display for the 2005 Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, the official residence of Her Majesty The Queen on July 29, 2005 in London, England. The 'White Wardrobe' designed for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother by Norman Hartnell is the centrepiece of a special exhibition, with the theme being the State Visit to France made by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in July 1938.

#2: Members of the public view the Oriental Circlet worn by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother which is on display for the 2005 Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, the official residence of Her Majesty The Queen on July 29, 2005 in London, England.

#3: Assistant curator Catherine de Guitaut checks a display of the dress, with matching parasol worn by Queen Elizabeth in Cecil Beaton's photographs of her taken in 1939 which is on display for the 2005 Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, the official residence of Her Majesty The Queen on July 29, 2005 in London, England.

#4: Members of the public view the dress, with matching parasol worn by Queen Elizabeth in Cecil Beaton's photographs of her taken in 1939 which is on display for the 2005 Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, the official residence of Her Majesty The Queen on July 29, 2005 in London, England.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 563
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 642
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 562
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 508
Does anyone know why the Queen mother only had 2 children?
I can never seem to find any information as to the reason why...
Was it a medical reason? or was it they only wanted 2?

I dont know much,but i remember i used to read a book about The Queen Mother,and all of us know that King George VI and Queen Elizabeth married in 1923,and Queen Elizabeth II was born 3 years later.In the book said that because the King(at that time was the Duke of York)had some medical problems with his health,like his physical health was not very good,and had some medical ways to have a baby,but later Princess Margaret's birth was more easier.I'm not really sure,but i remember i have read in a book.

I have read that the Queen Mother had to have C-sections with her daughters, perhaps at the time physically she couldn't have more than two.
And I wonder if there wasn't some male fertility issue that complicated the issue.
But it seems that having a male heir would have been of critical importance after it became apparent that the Prince of Wales was going to make a hash of things, if Bertie and Elizabeth could have pulled it off.

I'm guessing a male heir would have been very important as well for them but I have a hunch that they already knew that they were not going to have more children. There doesn't seem to be any push from the press or any public push from the family. This to me indicates that they may have been aware that another child may not have been possible.

I've also read stories and quotes from royal biographies stating that the family was quite happy as "us four". This was even before the girls were grown.

Back
Top Bottom