HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a lovely picture; the QM was a very attractive young woman and in her childhood with mesmerizing blue eyes.

I always thought the Queen mum was such a beautiful child!

I think the queen mother had a very unique beauty. She was such a lovely lady. RIP Queen Mother

I have to say that this is my favorite picture. I don't think I've ever seen Bertie and Elizabeth kidding around like that. He looks rather amused. It's just a shame that you can't see her expression.

I have to say that this is my favorite picture. I don't think I've ever seen Bertie and Elizabeth kidding around like that. He looks rather amused. It's just a shame that you can't see her expression.

I have never seen this! Bertie always looks so serious; it's nice to see a photo like this.

I love the pics of the Royal Family!
This is truly an awesome trio!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've never seen this photo, either. That's a candid and amusing shot; I wonder who's mimicking whom! Thank you for sharing.

Picture gallery from the Daily Telegraph today

The Queen Mother in pictures - Telegraph

Minor point - I noticed that the group wedding picture is dated May 3rd 1923, days after she is shown leaving her home for her wedding on April 26th 1923. Was it the habit to take the photographs later - in this, 7 days later? The group photo is one of the few where she doesn't seem happy. Well, none of the women and girls in that photograph seemed particularly pleased (except for Miss Betty Cator - who's got the giggles, methinks) - but clearly the bride was not amused - I wonder what was up? A mystery.

Minor point - I noticed that the group wedding picture is dated May 3rd 1923, days after she is shown leaving her home for her wedding on April 26th 1923. Was it the habit to take the photographs later - in this, 7 days later? The group photo is one of the few where she doesn't seem happy. Well, none of the women and girls in that photograph seemed particularly pleased (except for Miss Betty Cator - who's got the giggles, methinks) - but clearly the bride was not amused - I wonder what was up? A mystery.

I've read in several different biographies of Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth The QM and the present Queen that Queen Mary believed that royalty should never smile in public - and that went doubly for official photographs. Being royal was a serious business to her...:lol:

Did you mean "abdicate"? And she would not have abdicated since she was a Queen Consort, not a reigning queen, so she became a queen dowager upon George VI's death when Elizabeth II came to the throne. The Queen Mother was only a queen because of her husband, not a queen in her own right.

That's correct; the QM was born Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon to the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and was never in the line of succession to the English throne. She married into the Royal Family to Prince Albert who became King George VI when his brother, Edward VIII, abdicated the throne to marry Wallis Simpson. She became queen consort only because her husband was a king. Their daughter, Elizabeth, as heiress presumptive inherited the throne in her own right upon her father's death, whereupon Queen Elizabeth became the Queen Mother. Therefore, she could never have become queen in her own right because she wasn't born to it. I hope this explains a bit more for you.

Last edited:
Is it true that she spent an awful lot of money on gambling while paying her servants very small wages?

The QM loved horse racing and betting, and I read that she spent a lot of money on this habit to the point where her daughter had to subsidize her spending, but I don't know about the wages she paid her staff. There are a lot of biographies on the QM, most notably her official bio written by William Shawcross.

It's known that the Royals don't pay their staff high wages. Some of them even work elsewhere during their off-hours to subsidize their income. However, I haven't read that HMTQM was unusually stingy with her staff.

They pay the set wage for staff and provide board as well. It is also a great thing to have on a person's resume if seeking a similar job in another household because of the standards in the royal households.

e.g. if I had worked as a housemaid at Buckingham Palace and wanted a promotion to be the housekeeper at say Chatsworth House in Derbyshire (the home of the Duke of Devonshire) having the experience of working at Buckinhgam Palace would give me an advantage in going for that better job.

To help you with your earlier question about the Queen Mother and her position when her husband died:

Currently we have The Queen and her husband is Prince Philip - he is her consort.
Next we have Charles and Camilla. Charles will be King Charles and Camilla will become Queen Camilla - so a King and Queen but Camilla will still only be the consort - the same position Philip holds now.
Then will come William and Kate - Kate will be the consort - the supporter but never in her own right.

To be the monarch in their own right the person has to be born to it not marry into it. When a person marries into the royal family they take their status from their spouse but they can't take the position of the spouse.

Last edited:
So there never was a possibility of her becoming Queen in her own right after the death of her husband.
These are the things I don't know because I'm not English.

It's a bit confusing, but there is a simple way to distinguish between different types of Queens.
In Britain (and most European Monarchies), there are four different titles of a Queen:

- A Queen Regnant
That's someone who actually reigns - the Monarch and the Head of State. She succeeded the previous Monarch, usually her father or other close relative, because she was next in the Line of Succession. The current Monarch, Elizabeth II, is a Queen Regnant. incidentally, only Queens and Kings Regnant have numerals (Elizabeth II, Mary I, Edward VIII, Richard III, etc); their consorts, whatever their title, do not.

- A Queen Consort
That's someone who is married to a Monarch and has her titles by courtesy of her husband. She does not reign, is not Head of State (but is the First Lady of the Kingdom), and does not have an official role. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was Queen by virtue of her marriage to a Monarch - George VI. Both Camilla and Kate will become Queens Consort when respectively Prince Charles and Prince William ascend to the Throne.

- A Queen Mother
That's someone who was married to a King and whose child is the current Monarch. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was married to George VI and her daughter, Elizabeth II, is the reigning Monarch, which is why she was a Queen Mother. Camilla will be Queen Consort but not Queen Mother since William is not her son. If Diana had lived, she wouldn't have been Queen Mother either; since she had divorced Prince Charles, she would obviously not become a Queen Consort upon his accession to the throne - and in order to be a Queen Mother, you have to be a Queen Consort first.

- A Queen Dowager
That's widow of a King. If she were mother of the current Monarch, she would have been a Queen Mother; if she isn't, she's just a Queen Dowager. Assuming Charles ascends to the Throne and Camilla outlives him, she'll be a Queen Dowager.

Normally, all those Queens are known as jut "Queen Name", without the addition of "Regnant, Consort, Mother or Dowager". Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was an exception because she shared the same name with her daughter, Elizabeth II; since it would have been awkward and confusing to have two Queens Elizabeth, "Queen Mother" was added to distinguish between the two.

Chicken Shed Patronage+ some cool Queen Mum articles

I read that after Diana, Princess of Wales died, the Queen Mother took over this patronage from her. Thus, they performed in the parade celebrating her 100th birthday.
@ Daria- I bet you can guess who helped them out with that performance?;):D

I posted these in the Royals with Celebrities thread, but I'll post them in this thread too-
Queen Mother steps out - Telegraph
HARDY QUEEN MUM MEETS HARDY - Latest News - Lynn News

I didin't know that Her Majesty the Queen Mother took over the Chicken Shed patronage after Diana passed on. No wonder she had a connection with Mr. Hardy. Explains a great deal. Thank you for sharing (and I bet her 100th Birthday celebration was a great memory for all that were involved).

I didin't know that Her Majesty the Queen Mother took over the Chicken Shed patronage after Diana passed on. No wonder she had a connection with Mr. Hardy. Explains a great deal. Thank you for sharing (and I bet her 100th Birthday celebration was a great memory for all that were involved).
Neither did I- until I started reading her official biography by William Shawcross. Great book- but as one can imagine quite long.;)

Neither did I- until I started reading her official biography by William Shawcross. Great book- but as one can imagine quite long.;)

I will have to put that on my reading list, which is getting longer by the day, it seems (and I keep buying more books, whether they're for my NOOK, or my actual bookshelves :ermm:).

I will have to put that on my reading list, which is getting longer by the day, it seems (and I keep buying more books, whether they're for my NOOK, or my actual bookshelves :ermm:).
Join the club. So many books, so little time.....:D

What’s in your bag, Ma’am? Apart from the chocolate, the plasters and the gin: Secrets of the Queen Mother's handbag

From the article said:
When we acquired a papillon pup called Mimi, the dog made a leap for the chair. My father did not distinguish himself with his chivalry: ‘It’s not my animal, Ma’am,’ he said, ‘it’s Petronella’s.’ But I have Mimi to thank for the historic moment when the secrets of the Royal handbag were revealed. As Mimi tore at the primrose yellow silk clutch bag with its satin handle, the Queen Mother giggled. ‘Perhaps she’s sniffed out the chocolates,’ she said, smiling wickedly. ‘The corgis always sniff them out at Sandringham. At least one hopes it isn’t the gin.’ She dipped her beringed hand into her bag and drew out a linen handkerchief containing four Charbonnel et Walker rose-flavoured handmade chocolates.

‘The blood sugar can get a little low at my age’ – she was then 85 – ‘but chocolates always do the trick. I haven’t had a dizzy spell yet. Besides,’ she added mischievously, ‘it’s nice to have a treat after an indifferent meal.’

Sydney Morning Herald, 8 October 2012

Joy and heartbreak: Queen Mother's revealing private letters

Previously unseen letters and diaries written by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, will be published this week, revealing her innermost thoughts on intimate private matters and the landmark moments of the 20th century. A new book, authorised by the Queen to mark her diamond jubilee, will include extracts from her mother's private letters and journals from all 10 decades of her life. A prolific correspondent from childhood until her death in 2002 aged 101, her missives to family and friends span her idyllic childhood at Glamis Castle, her family home in Scotland, through both World Wars and her experiences of marrying into the royal family. They also include her writings on the abdication crisis of 1936 and the untimely death of her beloved ''Bertie'', King George VI, in 1952, followed by her adjustment to her new role as Queen Mother.

The letters reveal her dilemma over whether to marry the Duke of York. In January 1923, following a three-year courtship, the then Elizabeth Bowes Lyon wrote to one of her closest friends of feeling ''terrified'' at the prospect of marrying into the royal family, having finally accepted the duke's proposal.

They also reveal her subsequent blissful enjoyment of marriage and motherhood, including many letters in which she writes affectionately of her young daughters, Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. In a letter to Anne Beevers, her midwife and maternity nurse, written in October 1926 when Princess Elizabeth was six months old, she described her first-born daughter as ''sharp as a needle''. Another letter to her mother, Lady Strathmore, written the same month, said: ''She is going to be very wicked, and she is very quick, I think …''

In 1936, following her sudden elevation to Queen Consort after Edward VIII abdicated to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson, Queen Elizabeth wrote to her brother-in-law that she and her husband were ''overcome with misery'' at being unexpectedly thrust on to the throne.

The letters also convey her heartbreak at the death of her husband in February 1952, following a battle with lung cancer. In a letter to her mother-in-law, Queen Mary, she wrote of her devastation at losing Bertie, whom she described as ''my whole life''.

Several of the letters featured in Counting One's Blessings: The Selected Letters of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother also reflect her love of a tipple. One in 1931 to a close friend is signed: ''With kind regards and many hiccoughs. I remain, Yours in thirst, Elizabeth.''

The book, which will be out on Thursday, features material drawn from the royal archives at Windsor Castle, Glamis Castle, and other private collections. It was edited by William Shawcross, Queen Elizabeth's biographer, who commented: ''She had beautiful clear handwriting from the age of 10 to the age of 100. From childhood onwards, her words danced on the page, teeming with vitality, ebullience and optimism. Although by today's standards her formal education was limited, her letters showed a relish for language, and sparkled with the sheer joy of living.''

1937.jpg

Family first ... King George VI, Queen Elizabeth and daughters on the balcony at Buckingham Palace after the coronation in 1937.

Last edited:
Looking forward to buying the book. It won't be available on U.S. Amazon until the end of November and I prefer buying books from stores so I'll have to wait even longer.

It's a bit confusing, but there is a simple way to distinguish between different types of Queens...
Excellent explanations Artemisia :previous:

I'd also include Queen-Regent : A queen Consort or Queen Mother who acts as regent of a Kingdom because the ruler is a minor, not present, or debilitated.

Mary of Guise,Blanche of Castile,Catherine de Médicis,Anne of Austria and Marie de Médicis were Queen Regents.I'm not sure if the late Queen Mother was ever a Regent?

Back
Top Bottom