Henry VIII (1491-1547) and Wives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good for you, Moonmaiden23, BRAVO! Henry would be proud! LOL

I first saw the painting of Catherine of Aragon in your avatar when I was about 12-13. I loved it ...it's the most beautiful Royal Tudor portrait ever imo.;)

Jane Seymours mother,Lady Seymour lived a long life for Tudor Times and outlived several of her children including Jane and died in October 1550 in her early 70's.

I'm sure if she was close to her grandson Edward VI?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margery_Wentworth

And I wonder how she reacted that one of her sons (Lord Protector) ordered to kill the other (Thomas)

And I wonder how she reacted that one of her sons (Lord Protector) ordered to kill the other (Thomas)

Or had she lived long that her grandson had both of his uncles executed.

The Lord Protector's widow Anne Seymour, Dowager Duchess of Somerset outlived them all living until 1587.

Or had she lived long that her grandson had both of his uncles executed.

The Lord Protector's widow Anne Seymour, Dowager Duchess of Somerset outlived them all living until 1587.

Margaret Seymour, nee Wentworth died on 18 October 1550, nineteen months after Thomas' execution.
Lord Protector was executed on 22 January 1552.

Margaret Seymour, nee Wentworth died on 18 October 1550, nineteen months after Thomas' execution.
Lord Protector was executed on 22 January 1552.

One son executed before she died and the other after she died. Probably a blessing she did not live longer.

Margery outlived all but 4 of her children.

Her longest living child was Henry. Henry was the older brother of Jane and Thomas, and younger then Edward. He died at the age of 75 in 1578. While Anne outlived him by 9 years, she was only 2 years older then him longevity wise, dying at 77 (he was born in 1503 and her in 1510).

Beyond Edward and Henry she was outlived by her remaining 2 daughters.

-Elizabeth died at age 50 in 1568.
-Dorothy died at 37 in 1552

While she outlived her husband by some years, John Seymour did live to be 62.

Last edited:
Margery Seymour was a first cousin of Elizabeth Howard (Anne Boleyn's mother) and Edmund Howard (father of Catherine Howard).

She knew Elizabeth Howard while living in the household of her aunt, the Countess of Surrey, who was Elizabeth's mother.

Wonder what the two cousins thought of each other when Henry VIII executed Elizabeth's daughter so he could marry Margery's?

Yes I had forgotten the family connection ,Margery Wentworths
mother was Lady Anne Say who died around 1494.

Elizabeth Barton was a nun. She declared that a divorce for Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon would be Henry's downfall. If he married Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth said Henry would lose his kingdom and die a villain's death.
Did any priest, bishop, or archbishop express any unkind remark about the ending of King Henry VIII?

Elizabeth was also known as 'The Nun of Kent' and she along with several other of her supporters were executed in April 1534.

How did King Henry VIII's break from the Church differ from Martin Luther's?

How did King Henry VIII's break from the Church differ from Martin Luther's?

Henry was a catholic from the day he was born to the day he died. That is the major difference.

Henry was not a protestant. He considered his church to be the English catholic church. There was very little reforms made during his life time, except placing the power of the church in his hands and the archbishops, instead of Rome.Other then dissolving the abbeys and that was more a land grab and money grab then any real religious conviction on his part. Many of his early minor reforms he made he reversed. The Anglican church didn't make any great reforms until after his reign.

Henry hated Martin Luther and other 'radical' protestants as he thought them. He was as likely to burn a lutheran as he was a Catholic.

Catherine Parr survived marriage to Henry VIII by the skin of her teeth. She was a 'suspected protestant' and people like Steven Gardiner were out for her blood. A warrant was issued for her arrest but she managed to make peace with Henry. Had he lived longer there is a good chance she would have been his third wife to be executed. She very much was a supporter of the new faith.

Yes the more drastic changes came after the death of Henry VIII during the brief reign of Edward VI with the introduction of the 1549 Book of prayer and the wave of iconoclasm (destruction of church images/statues) which followed.

The term "Henrician Catholicism" sometimes gets used in books. I'm not sure that Henry would ever have broken with Rome had he not been so desperate to end his marriage to Catherine of Aragon. But, having gone down that path, he liked the idea of being in charge of religion in England, and not being subject to anyone else, even the Pope ... and, of course, he liked being able to take the money and land from the monasteries. But I don't think he shared any of Luther, much less Calvin,'s thoughts on actual religious doctrine and practice.

Plus also had a lot to do with who had the kings ear, Cranmer and Cromwell or Norfolk or Gardiner .Towards the end of his reign he seems to have sided more with Norfolk, Southampton, Gardiner or Bonner.

The term "Henrician Catholicism" sometimes gets used in books. I'm not sure that Henry would ever have broken with Rome had he not been so desperate to end his marriage to Catherine of Aragon. But, having gone down that path, he liked the idea of being in charge of religion in England, and not being subject to anyone else, even the Pope ... and, of course, he liked being able to take the money and land from the monasteries. But I don't think he shared any of Luther, much less Calvin,'s thoughts on actual religious doctrine and practice.

Quite true, especially your last comment. I often wonder with what degree of consternation and disapproval Henry would have registered the manner in which his precious heir Edward fully embraced the extremes of Luther and Calvin.

It was under Edward VI that the English Church truly ceased to be "Catholic"...and there was no turning back despite the zealous efforts of his sister and successor Mary I.

Last edited:

Quite true, especially your last comment. I often wonder with what degree of consternation and disapproval Henry would have registered the manner in which his precious heir Edward fully embranced the extremes of Luther and Calvin.

It was under Edward VI that the English Church truly ceased to be "Catholic"...and there was no turning back despite the zealous efforts of his sister and successor Mary I.

The Religious Policies of Henry VIII and Edward VI were largely ignored in Ireland except in the Pale (English area around Dublin) .Of the over 400 religious houses in Ireland only half had been dissolved by the Henry's death and one of the last ones survived until 1603.

Henry VIII wasn't King of Ireland until June 1541 ,prior to this English Monarchs were style Lord of Ireland which was a title bestowed by the Pope.

Last edited:
Yes it's a good story. Very interesting. I would say there are a great many relics yet to be found not only in the UK but also in Europe.

The discovery of the centrepiece of Henry VIII’s lost crown is a truly amazing find.

The crown itself was melted down by Cromwell.

Were the international allies of King Henry VIII alienated from him after he married Anne Boleyn?

He alienated most of them by divorcing Catherine and then marrying Anne.

Henry was not on good terms with the Holy Roman Empire, France ,Scotland and the Papacy.

Yes he made a lot of enemies abroad. It's the reason he had to spend so much on building large numbers of coastal forts later in his reign.

Coastal Forts

Yes he made a lot of enemies abroad. It's the reason he had to spend so much on building large numbers of coastal forts later in his reign.

Coastal Forts

He was very fearful of a Franco-Scottish invasion ,the French sank the Mary Rose during one attack on Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

Back
Top Bottom