Henry VIII (1491-1547) and Wives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the article stating that the reasons, which prompted Henry VIII to get rid of Anne Bolyen, will remain unclear. It is amazing that he spared no effort to marry her and then just tossed her away as if she were of no importance at all.

I agree with the article stating that the reasons, which prompted Henry VIII to get rid of Anne Bolyen, will remain unclear. It is amazing that he spared no effort to marry her and then just tossed her away as if she were of no importance at all.
Because her main purpose was to breed an heir.

You are right ... but still why to resort to a complicated judicial process followed by an execution to get rid of a wife? Does it mean that he never had sincere feelings for Anne in the first place? He could have divorced her or got rid of her in a less painful way.

You are right ... but still why to resort to a complicated judicial process followed by an execution to get rid of a wife? Does it mean that he never had sincere feeling for Anne in the first place? He could have divorced her or got rid of her in a less painful way.
Maybe because he rocked the world by divorcing already and she was still alive (not for long though)?

I think part of the reason that he had her executed was to make sure that any children born to a subsequent marriage would be unquestionably legitimate. He divorced Katharine of Aragon, but those who didn't believe that he had the right to divorce his wife considered Elizabeth illegitimate.

Having Anne executed solved the problem simply (albeit horribly) for Henry. And since she wasn't a foreign princess, he didn't have to risk any international alliances by doing so. When he married Jane Seymour, both his previous spouses were dead, and so there were no grounds for calling Edward illegitimate.

I see your points. At the same time, Henry VIII allowed to drag the name of a woman he once loved through the mud. He could have used some other method ... "accidents could happen" method, which would not tarnish her name, to physically remove Anne Bolyen. It appears that he needed an official setting to throw Anne out of his life.

I think the "official setting" part was key. Because the execution was "public" (I think it was inside the Tower, so it wasn't as much of a spectacle, but there were still many witnesses), there could be no question that she was dead. Otherwise he'd have been dealing with rumors that Anne was still the true queen, alive, somewhere, and that could have led to problems politically (and with the legitimacy of Edward).

It's still a disgusting piece of history, Al_bina, you're right about that.

I think he loved Anne, in the letters he wrote her before they were married, he seems genuinely affectionate. But, he was the kind of person who loved himself the most. Perhaps one reason why her end was so bad, with all the lies he had said about her and then having her executed, was because he did honestly love her and then her not having the male heir was just too much of a blow. Sometimes they say that with great love goes great hate. Just my theory. But I also agree he wanted his children to be unquestionably legitimate ( any children who came after his marriage to Anne) and that was the real reason, as everyone said.

That's a really interesting article about the tapestry, Emeralds. I'll have to see if I can use that information somehow.

I've always wondered: how much of British history do children learn in British schools? I mean, the British history itself is rich, let alone the rest of the history of Europe and Asia. So, how much details of British history were you taught? Did you need learn all the British monarchs by heart and such things?
History or Twitter? Wiki or Wars of the Roses? Over the last few weeks the options offered to generations of future school children studying history have sounded ridiculous: a choice between looking backwards or forwards.

School Gate - Times Online - WBLG: Why kids should be learning about Kings and Queens....

Emeralds, I'm blogging the houses!

King Henry VIII never seemed to actually have a good marriage possibly because of his character. at one point he did love them until they get him angry and had them beheaded at the tower of london for adultry, like anne boelyn or for something else.

some things based on his life is the movie "the other boelyn girl" the series on HBO "The Tudors" and also there is elizabeth's fictional diary as a young girl entitled "Elizabeth I, red rose of the house of tudor". i guess you can say that each of them are pretty good on an historical accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Henry VIII never seemed to actually have a good marriage possibly because of his character. at one point he did love them until they get him angry and had them beheaded at the tower of london for adultry, like anne boelyn or for something else.

The two wives he beheaded where Anne Boleyn and Katharine Howard. Both were beheaded for adultery. Anne Boleyn didn't commit adultery, it was trumped up. Katharine Howard did commit adultery.

Discussion of "The Tudors" TV series has been moved to the existing thread in the Royal Library.

The two wives he beheaded where Anne Boleyn and Katharine Howard. Both were beheaded for adultery. Anne Boleyn didn't commit adultery, it was trumped up. Katharine Howard did commit adultery.

It was certainly trumped up,and in time for Henry to become a father by Jane Seymour.
Anne Boleyn was certainly not a nice or good person but she died for something she didn´t do.

Honestly, I am not sure (cause I talk to all the time....I joke I joke) that Henry loved any of them. Based on what I have read, I think he cared for them (some more than others) but I think they were just a means to an end. Henry need a son...and he needed a woman to get that. Certain woman brought other things to the table (Catherine and the Spanish alliance/Anne of Cleves and the German Support in the face of the Holy Roman Emperor) but thats about it.

I think if he genuinely loved any of them it was Anne B. But it turned to hate. That proves however he did have strong feelings for her, if you believe in love can turn to hate. I do. He certainly felt geniuinely betrayed by Katharine Howard who was so young, so naive, which wasn't surprising since she was a teenager who hadn't been raised properly. He did feel genuine betrayl with her, although he himself had betrayed at least two women ( Catharine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn) by then.

Interesting read about why Henry VIII health. But it is not online in the Independent anymore.

King Henry had a jousting accident that knock him unconscious for two hours in 1536 Jan. This caused Queen Anne to have a miscarriage-a boy. A documentary states the injury may well have caused an undetected brain injury which profoundly affected his personality. His doctors recorded that he had badly ulcerated legs, was unable to walk, his eyesight was fading, and he was plagued by paranoia and melancholy. Anne Boyln was dead six months later. Interesting!!!!

Also his ulcerated leg sores that did not heal might have been from getting malaria at 30 or wearing tie hose. Interesting!!!!

some things based on his life is the movie "the other boelyn girl" the series on HBO "The Tudors" and also there is elizabeth's fictional diary as a young girl entitled "Elizabeth I, red rose of the house of tudor". i guess you can say that each of them are pretty good on an historical accuracy.
I think the thing that each wife did to 'make him angry' was to not produce a healthy son. Although of course, Katherine of Aragon gave him more than one that did not live. When Anne Boleyn delivered first a girl, and then miscarried his son, that was it. History recalls Katherine Howard as a slut, certainly pre-Henry, and probably during. It cant have been much fun being Henry's wife at that point. He was already middle aged and overweight. Not to mention the wild mood swings and rages. Add to that the intractable weeping sore on his thigh. I have read in non-fiction books several authors have speculated that he might have had syphillis, which was extremely common in those days and matches his symptoms. That would also account for why the wives had healthy 1st children when newly married and multiple miscarriages later on as their infection worsened. When you think back on it, the two wives he did not have relations with, Anne of Cleves (found her physically unattractive) and Katherine Parr (as he was elderly) had the best outcomes of their relationship with Henry. He didn't expect any sons.

Well, he had a son by the time he wed both Anne of Cleves and Katharine Parr, so they didn't have pressure on them in that regard. The marriage with Anne of Cleves was never entirely consummated true, he found her too repellant. But, I think he did have more than a marriage in name only with Katharine Parr. More than likely he just couldn't father children at that point, since he had none with Katharine Howard either.

Given the mortality rate at that time, King Henry felt pressure to secure the succession with more than one male heir, especially as his only son was still a toddler. Henry had already lost his eldest live born son by Katherine of Aragon, as well as seeing his own elder brother Arthur Prince of Wales die in his teens.

Henry VIII was an accomplished person. He was highly educated and an intellectually impressive man. He wrote some elegant poetry (I've read it) and composed some wonderful music (I've played it!) He was a dedicated and lifelong supporter and patron of the Arts. He was also politically adroit, and although forced to marry his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, he almost succeeded in his divorce sham.

History shows us that the Pope was about to grant Henry his divorce from Catherine but that a war in Europe, between the authority of the Pope and that of the Holy Emperor was paramount. The Holy Roman Emperor, Catherine uncle, had surrounded the Vatican, and his price for withdrawing was that the Pope refuse Henry's request for divorce.

This was reluctantly agreed. We recall, also, that this Pope had honoured Henry VIII, earlier, with the illustrious title, 'Defender of the Faith', which every British monarch flourishes, to this day. This actually meant the defender of the Catholic Faith, make no mistake, as a reward for Henry's issuing an intellectually elegant rebuttal to Martin Luther, which the Pope rewarded with this splendid title.

Whereas I'm not completely secure in defending Henry as an honourable man, I am very conscious that at his time, The Monarch was generally believed to have been personally anointed by God, and everything follows from that one, singular premise. It's difficult for us in these days of universal suffrage and voting to understand the prevailing social imperatives of 500 years ago.

Still, the greatest gift which the very clever Henry VIII gave to the world was his daughter, the incomparable and very brilliant, Elizabeth.
Even her enemies envied her intellect and political success.

:previous:
I agree with everything you have said except for one point, in everything I have read about Henry´s first marriage he was not forced to marry Catherine, it was encouraged but he wasn´t forced, in fact I believe she was a very good looking young woman and Henry had been more than a little envious of his older brother´s marriage to her. I believe he was only to pleased to "take over" when his brother died. Later she grew older and more matronly, the miscarriages also took their toll and she was quite a few years older than Henry, that is when the fascinating and ambitious Anne Boleyn appeared and the events that took away any brilliance Henry had as a King.
Nowadays we think of Henry the wife killer and forget everything else. In a way he got his just deserts but I doubt if he ever thought he had done wrong, his conscience was clear, he was king and anointed by God so whatever he did was right.

I think if he genuinely loved any of them it was Anne B. But it turned to hate. That proves however he did have strong feelings for her, if you believe in love can turn to hate. I do. He certainly felt geniuinely betrayed by Katharine Howard who was so young, so naive, which wasn't surprising since she was a teenager who hadn't been raised properly. He did feel genuine betrayl with her, although he himself had betrayed at least two women ( Catharine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn) by then.

Also he betrayed Jane Seymour when she was with child at least i read that soemwhere correct me if i am worng. I would not doubt if he was unfaithful to all of his wives. That the way of the world with most Kings have a noble or humble bride and a mistress on the side.

Back
Top Bottom