The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

Wow, that was the first time I heard about that! I guess it wouldn't matter now, as such a long time has passed. But it would be interesting if someone was allowed to look at those documents.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Majesty

King George III was the first British monarch to have been taught physics, chemistry, botany and astronomy. Later he became a renowned bibliophile. He had over 67,000 books, many of them rare, on every conceivable subject. Scholars like Dr Johnson and Dr Joseph Priestley were welcome to study in the library at the Queen's House or Buckingham House (later Palace.)

Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

George III - The Genius of The Mad King
Next Wednesday
20:00
BBC FOUR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cwqx3
Old 05-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The future King George III is alleged to have married secretly, on 17th April 1759, a Quaker, Hannah Lightfoot, the daughter of a Wapping shoemaker, who is said to have borne him three children.

Documents relating to this marriage, which bore the Prince's signature, were impounded and examined in 1866 by the Attorney General. Learned opinion at the time leaned to the view that the documents were genuine.

They were placed in the Royal Archives at Windsor. Permission to view them by a would-be author was refused in 1910, and no outsider has seen them since.

If the future King George III did make such a marriage it would have been legal as it was before the Royal Marriages Act (1772.) Therefore, his marriage to Princess Charlotte in 1761 was bigamous.

Page 286. 'Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy'. Alison Weir. 2002.
its possible thtat Hannah Ligthfoot had died.. however I just find it hard to believe that the very dutiful George would make a marriage that he knew was not acceptable....
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

The story of Hannah has a lot of holes, if she ever even knew George III. Hannah was married in 1753 to a man named Isaac Ashford. Isaac later remarried in 1759 saying he was a widower. Her mother left Hannah in her will, and died in 1760, but it was said she had not heard from her daughter in 2 years at the time.

Even if George had a relationship with Hannah, she was already married. Any reported marriage to Hannah would have been bigamous on her part.

More found here about the speculation

https://englishhistoryauthors.blogsp...quakeress.html
Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Queen Sophia Charlotte, the Caregiver

Queen Sophia Charlotte was a wonderful caregiver to King George III. As a mother of 13 children, a wife, an Abolitionist, a Botanist, a musician and more...this strong woman loved and cared for her husband and he went through his traumas.

To bad Queen Charlotte is downplayed in history. However, there is a new book titled, "Invisible Queen: Mixed Ancestry Revealed. Queen Sophia Charlotte. There is a link that tells more on Facebook at Invisible Queen. Interesting story.

Video with more information

Thanks,

Elaine Lee
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Charlotte is being remembered by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Mecklenburgische Seenplatte District with the issuing of a commemorative coin to mark 200 years since her death.

https://www.welt.de/img/regionales/m...ge-4-3-jpg.jpg
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...8a6&m=lnokngao

On the 200th anniversary of her death, a celebration of the life of Queen Charlotte was held at the Mirow Palace.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxeyXQAATESz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxexXgAAx4hU.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxexWsAE93Xk.jpg

https://twitter.com/i/status/1063819397524008960
Old 09-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would like to see a movie or a series on Queen Charlotte. She’s rarely ever talked about.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Lee View Post
Queen Sophia Charlotte was a wonderful caregiver to King George III. As a mother of 13 children, a wife, an Abolitionist, a Botanist, a musician and more...this strong woman loved and cared for her husband and he went through his traumas.

To

Thanks,

Elaine Lee
That's not my impression from what I've read about her.. She became afraid of the King when he became ill and irrational.. and tried to avoid him...
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Lee View Post

To bad Queen Charlotte is downplayed in history. However, there is a new book titled, "Invisible Queen: Mixed Ancestry Revealed. Queen Sophia Charlotte. There is a link that tells more on Facebook at Invisible Queen. Interesting story.

Thanks,

Elaine Lee
According to some genealogists the claim that Queen Charlotte had black ancestry through her distant ancestor Margarita de Castro y Sousa is based on insufficient evidence.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/QjZyAu3PDI0

I should also point out that Charlotte wasn't Margarita's only royal descendant. She was also the ancestor of Queen Caroline (wife of George II), Catherine the Great of Russia, and Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. So even if Margarita were black Caroline was Britain's first queen with black ancestry, not Charlotte.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The story of Hannah has a lot of holes, if she ever even knew George III. Hannah was married in 1753 to a man named Isaac Ashford. Isaac later remarried in 1759 saying he was a widower. Her mother left Hannah in her will, and died in 1760, but it was said she had not heard from her daughter in 2 years at the time.

Even if George had a relationship with Hannah, she was already married. Any reported marriage to Hannah would have been bigamous on her part.

More found here about the speculation

https://englishhistoryauthors.blogsp...quakeress.html
Maybe Hannah did just disappear from her marriage and her husband said she was dead and he was free to remarry.. But I doubt if she and George were married in any way. I can't see him going in for a bigamous marriage or marryring someone that he knew would not be accepted as his queen...
Old 11-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
King George III was the first British monarch to have been taught physics, chemistry, botany and astronomy. Later he became a renowned bibliophile. He had over 67,000 books, many of them rare, on every conceivable subject. Scholars like Dr Johnson and Dr Joseph Priestley were welcome to study in the library at the Queen's House or Buckingham House (later Palace.)
Have you seen the documentary “George III, The Genius of the Mad King” ? Very good. He was pretty smart and interested in everything in the world. It is a good one. It is on Amazon Prime.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

Could someone recommend to me a good book on King George III? I have only read as far back as Queen Victoria. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Gentry

A Royal Experiment by Janice Hadlow is excellent, about George, family, illness etc. also Princesses by Flora Fraser...tells story of all of his daughters in detail but also G and C. Very good.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy63 View Post
A Royal Experiment by Janice Hadlow is excellent, about George, family, illness etc. also Princesses by Flora Fraser...tells story of all of his daughters in detail but also G and C. Very good.
Thank you so much!!
Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

I am looking for a biography on King George III and came across these two that look interesting. However, they appear to be the same book with different titles. Here is the first one and here is the second one. What is going on? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Majesty

I don't know but if I were you I would purchase the second one. I've read it (borrowed it from a friend) and it's superb. A wonderful book.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't know but if I were you I would purchase the second one. I've read it (borrowed it from a friend) and it's superb. A wonderful book.
Thank you. I will get that one.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Majesty

It is probably the same book...
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It is probably the same book...
I did a little more looking at the books and the first one I referenced is a reissue by a different publishing company. I wonder if it is because of a different publishing company that the name had to be changed.

Tags
biography, british history, charlotte, george iii, hanover, mecklenburg-strelitz, mulatto, pictures, porphyria, queen charlotte, queen consort