George I (1660-1727)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMTLove23

Nobility
City
bethlehem
Country
United States
George I (George Louis; 28 May 166011 June 1727)[1] was King of Great Britain and Ireland, from 1 August 1714 until his death. He was also a Prince-Elector of the Holy Roman Empire.
Born in Germany, he eventually inherited control of a large swathe of Lower Saxony, and his domains expanded during his lifetime as the result of a succession of European wars. At the age of 54, he ascended the British throne as the first monarch of the House of Hanover. Though many aspirants to the throne bore a closer relationship to his predecessor, Queen Anne, his mother, Sophia, had been designated heir by the Act of Settlement 1701 because of her Protestant faith. Sophia predeceased Anne by a matter of weeks, leaving the Protestant succession to George. The Jacobites attempted to depose George and replace him with Anne's Catholic half-brother, James, but their attempts failed.
During George's reign in Britain, the powers of the monarchy diminished and the modern system of Cabinet government led by a Prime Minister underwent development. Towards the end of his reign, actual power was held by Sir Robert Walpole. George died on a trip to his native Hanover, where he was buried.

George I of Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marriage
The same year, George married his first cousin, Sophia Dorothea, thereby securing additional incomes that would have been outside Salic laws requiring male inheritance. The marriage of state was arranged primarily as it ensured a healthy annual income, and assisted the eventual unification of Hanover and Celle. Sophia was at first against the marriage, looking down on Sophia Dorothea's mother (who was not of royal birth) and concerned by Sophia Dorothea's legitimated status, but was eventually won over by the advantages inherent in the marriage.[7]
In 1683, George and his brother, Frederick Augustus, served in the Great Turkish War at the Battle of Vienna, and Sophia Dorothea bore George a son, George Augustus. The following year, Frederick Augustus was informed of the adoption of primogeniture, meaning he would no longer receive part of his father's territory as he had expected. It led to a breach between father and son, and between the brothers, that lasted until Frederick Augustus's death in battle in 1690. With the imminent formation of a single Hanoverian state, and the Hanoverians continuing contributions to the Empire's wars, Ernest Augustus was made an Elector of the Holy Roman Empire in 1692. George's prospects were now better than ever, as the sole heir to his father's Electorate and his uncle's duchy.[8]
Sophia Dorothea had a second child, a daughter named after her, in 1687 but there were no other pregnancies. The couple became estranged—George preferred the society of his mistress, Melusine von der Schulenburg, by whom he had two daughters in 1692 and 1693, respectively;[9] and Sophia Dorothea, meanwhile, had her own romance with the Swedish Count Philip Christoph von Königsmarck. Threatened with the scandal of an elopement, the Hanoverian court, including George's brothers and Sophia, urged the lovers to desist, but to no avail. According to diplomatic sources from Hanover's enemies, in July 1694, the count was killed, possibly with the connivance of George, and his body thrown into the river Leine weighted with stones. The murder was claimed to have been committed by four of Ernest Augustus's courtiers, one of whom (Don Nicolò Montalbano) was paid the enormous sum of 150,000 thalers, which was about one hundred times the annual salary of the highest-paid minister. Sources in Hanover itself, including Sophia, denied any knowledge of Königsmarck's whereabouts.[10]
George's marriage to Sophia Dorothea was dissolved, not on the grounds that either of them had committed adultery, but on the grounds that Sophia Dorothea had abandoned her husband. With the concurrence of her father, George had Sophia Dorothea imprisoned in the Castle of Ahlden in her native Celle. She was denied access to her children and father, forbidden to remarry and only allowed to walk unaccompanied within the castle courtyard. She was however endowed with an income, establishment and servants, and was allowed to ride in a carriage outside her castle, albeit under supervision.[11]

Very Interesting couple werent the Hanovers known to be very cold toward their Heirs and their wives especially in the case of George I

:previous:

Well, that theory could only be applied to George I and George IV. King George III was very kind to his wife, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. In fact, no historian ever wrote that he cheated on her. King George II respected his wife, Caroline of Ansbach, and he was much influenced by her. King William IV isn't known to have been cold towards his wife, Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, either. Not to mention how "cold" Queen Victoria was to her husband ;)

I think the being cold to their heirs thing was true of George I, II, and III though. George IV only had Charlotte has heir and though not particularly fond of her I don't think, he wasn't fighting with her either. But George I, II, and III weren't that nice to their heirs ( in the case of George II, that was Frederick, Prince of Wales, father of George III).

George I

When he was a young man he visited London, and there was a rumour he was going to marry Princess Anne (later Queen Anne). I wonder if he had would she have had children that would have survived?

That would have been an interesting scenario - the troubles with the Jacobites would have been non-existant

Last edited by a moderator:
There still might have been troubles with Jocobites because Anne was King James II's daughter, not son, and the Jacobites likely would still have felt that the claim of the descendents of James II's son, ( since males take place over females in sucession to the British throne), were superior to those of his daughter Anne and her descendents, and in addition, George I, although he did have a claim to to the English throne was a distant cousin, and his claim was not technically better than that of James II's male descendents. Children of George and Anne would not technically have had a better claim to the throne than the male descendents of James II in the eyes of the Jacobites.

Didn't Sophia Dorothea have a lover that George had banished or killed? I vaguely remember reading something about it, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

There still might have been troubles with Jocobites because Anne was King James II's daughter, not son...
There may have been some problems from the Jacobites but they would have had less support than they had as it would still have been James II's descendents on the throne. The Jacobites didn't cause a huge lot of trouble in the years from 1688 to 1714 when James' daughters were on the throne so it is conceivable that they might not have caused all that much trouble.

Had either Mary or Anne had a child, regardless of who the father was, there is a good chance that the Jacobites would have been ok (except the rabid Roman Catholics who wanted a RC monarch). The Scots wouldn't have been so upset as shown by the way they didn't really do a lot (yes there was opposition to Mary and Anne but not all that extensive) until 1714.

Although the Old Pretender was a minor through out most of this period his father had been kicked out and no one really kicked up a fuss over that.

how someone can shut off his children from their mother (and vice versa) is beyond me. was the need for revenge so great that he had to make his whole family suffer like that? did his children ever try to break in to the prison to see their mother?

how someone can shut off his children from their mother (and vice versa) is beyond me. was the need for revenge so great that he had to make his whole family suffer like that? did his children ever try to break in to the prison to see their mother?

George I was a cruel man who had no tender feelings for his wife at all. Their marriage was arranged by his mother, who personally hated Sophia Dorothea, but the lure of her inheritance was too great to resist.

Sophia never wanted to marry George either, but was forced to do so by her parents, who saw the match as an advantage for their daughter whose legitimacy was questionable.

Their relationship was cold and unemotional from the beginning and both were very unhappy. After Sophia's "affair" was exposed, George divorced her and had her imprisoned, even though he had had affairs of his own for some time. No one really knows if Sophia actually consummated her relationship with Christoph von Königsmarck - that was the presumption at the time.

Most believe her children did not see her again after she was locked away.. and George II hated his father because of it. It was said that George I was furious with his daughter, the Queen of Prussia, when her court wore black mourning after Sophia Dorothea died.

George I only survived his ex-wife by four weeks.

Is there a definitive list of people who had a better claim to the British Throne than George I when he succeeded in 1714? I've worked out a list of my own and have come up with 58 names ahead of him.

Is there a definitive list of people who had a better claim to the British Throne than George I when he succeeded in 1714? I've worked out a list of my own and have come up with 58 names ahead of him.
Presumably those 58 were not non-Catholic descendents of George's mother The Electress Sophie of Hanover. All claimants to the throne must descend from her.

Well, George I was the first in the Line of Succession based on the Act of Settlement.
However, if we assume the Act was never enforced, then the Line of Succession* to Queen Anne (including those otherwise excluded by the aforementioned Act) in 1714 would include the following people: **

1. James, Prince of Wales (The Old Pretender)
2. Anne Marie of Orleans (daughter of Henrietta of England, daughter of Charles I)
3. Victor Amadeus, Prince of Piedmont (son of Anne Marie of Orleans)
4. Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy (second son of Anne Marie of Orleans)
5. Prince Emanuele Philibert of Savoy (third son of Anne Marie of Orleans)
6. Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate (daughter of Charles I Louis, Elector Palatine and granddaughter of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's elder daughter)
7. Philippe Charles of Orleans (the son of Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate)
8. Louis d'Orléans (son of Philippe Charles of Orleans)
9. Marie Louise Elisabeth of Orleans (daughter of Philippe Charles of Orleans)
10. Louise Adelaide of Orleans (daughter of Philippe Charles of Orleans)
11. Charlotte Aglae of Orleans (daughter of Philippe Charles of Orleans)
12. Louise Elisabeth of Orleans (daughter of Philippe Charles of Orleans)
13. Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans (daughter of Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate)
14. Leopold Clement, Hereditary Prince of Lorraine (son of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)
15. Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor (son of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)
16. Charles Alexander of Lorraine (son of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)
17. Elisabeth Therese of Lorraine (daughter of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)
18. Anne Charlotte of Lorraine (daughter of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)
19. Lady Frederica Schomberg (daughter of Caroline von der Pfalz, daughter of Karl I Ludwig von der Pfalz, son of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's daughter)
20. Lady Caroline Darcy (daughter of Lady Frederica Schomberg)
21. Lady Maria Schomberg (daughter of Caroline Elisabeth)
22. Louise von der Pfalz (daughter of Karl I Ludwig von der Pfalz, son of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's daughter)
23. Ludwig Otto of Salm (son of Luise Marie von Simmern, daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern, son of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's daughter)
24. Dorothea Franziska , Princess of Salm (daughter of Ludwig Otto of Salm)
25. Louise of Salm (daughter of Luise Marie von Simmern, daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern, son of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's daughter)
26. A son ofLouise of Salm
27. A daughter of Louise of Salm
28. Louise Apollonia (daughter of Luise Marie von Simmern)
29. Eleanor Christina (daughter of Luise Marie von Simmern)
30. Anne Henriette, Princess of Conde (daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern, son of Elizabeth Stuart - James I's daughter)
31. Louis Henri, Duke of Bourbon (son of Louis, Prince of Conde, the son of Anne Henriette, Princess of Conde)
32. Charles, Count of Charolais (son of Louis, Prince of Conde)
33. Louis, Count of Clermont (son of Louis, Prince of Conde)
34. Marie Anne de Bourbon, Mademoiselle de Conde (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
35. Louise Elisabeth de Bourbon, Mademoiselle de Bourbon (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
36. Louise Anne de Bourbon (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
37. Marie Anne de Bourbon (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
38. Henriette Louise de Bourbon (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
39. Elisabeth Alexandrine de Bourbon (daughter of Louis, Prince of Conde)
40. Marie Therese de Bourbon (daughter of Anne Henriette, Princess of Conde)
41. Louis Armand de Bourbon (son of Marie Therese de Bourbon)
42. Marie Anne de Bourbon (daughter of Marie Therese de Bourbon)
43. Louise Adelaide de Bourbon (daughter of Marie Therese de Bourbon)
44. Louise Benedicte de Bourbon (daughter of Anne Henriette, Princess of Conde)
45. Louis Auguste de Bourbon, Prince of Dombes (son of Louise Benedicte de Bourbon)
46. Louis Charles de Bourbon, Count of Eu (son of Louise Benedicte de Bourbon)
47. Louise Francoise de Bourbon, Mademoiselle du Maine (daughter of Louise Benedicte de Bourbon)
48. Marie Anne de Bourbon (daughter of Anne Henriette, Princess of Conde)
49. Benedicta Henrietta (daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern)
50. Francesco d'Este (son of Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg, daughter of Benedicta Henrietta)
51. Gian Federico d'Este (son of Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg)
52. Benedetta Maria d'Este (daughter of Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg)
53. Amalia Giuseppina d'Este (daughter of Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg)
54. Enrichetta d'Este (daughter of Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg)
55. Henriette Maria of Brunswick-Luneburg (daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern)
56. Wilhelmine Amalia of Brunswick-Luneburg (daughter of Edward, Count Palatine of Simmern)
57. Maria Josepha of Austria (daughter of Wilhelmine Amalia of Brunswick-Luneburg)
58. Maria Amalia of Austria (daughter of Wilhelmine Amalia of Brunswick-Luneburg)
59. George I of Great Britain

* A Line of Succession based on male primogeniture, no ban on Catholics, or unequal marriages (which didn't exist in Britain anyway).
** All people are named by the titles and styles they were best known under, and not necessarily those they occupied at the time.

Last edited:
I remember watching one of the history shows that Prince Edward did and he said some figure in the high 50s but I can't remember what it was had a better blood claim than George I but they were all barred due to being RC or married to an RC.

Of course The Act of Settlement changed the succession from pure blood lines to put the religious criteria and descent from Sophia of Hannover.

that is a really horrible story from beginning to end. The fact that there were over 50 people ahead of George I, who were Catholics, shows why there is a move to allow Catholics to marry heirs now. But it still not considered OK for a Catholic to rule. I wonder if it matters any more. There does not seem to be fighting between Protestants and Catholics at this time, as there was earlier in history. Anyway, it's a sorry tale how they had to bring in the Hanovers to settle a religious dispute. That was interesting that PRince Edward did a show on it.

Well, George I was the first in the Line of Succession based on the Act of Settlement.
However, if we assume the Act was never enforced, then the Line of Succession* to Queen Anne (including those otherwise excluded by the aforementioned Act) in 1714 would include the following people: **

1. James, Prince of Wales (The Old Pretender)
2. Anne Marie of Orleans (daughter of Henrietta of England, daughter of Charles I)
3. Victor Amadeus, Prince of Piedmont (son of Anne Marie of Orleans)

snip

15. Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor (son of Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans)

Artemisia, it's good that you wrote "would include" as of course each and any Habsburg-Lothringen and any descendant of a Habsburg-Archduchess
would have inherited Francis I Stephan's claim, so they all would be in line of succession. Of course you only included those already living at the beginning of the 1700s but I find the "Habsburg"-Fact so very, very interesting!

I indeed included only those alive in 1714, at the time of Queen Anne's death.
I was actually more intrigued by the number of French Royals who would have occupy, under normal circumstances, quite high positions in the Line of Succession. I wonder if the Act of Union hadn't been signed (creating Great Britain as a single country), would there be a possibility of Personal Union of Crowns with France. And if yes, what would the consequences be? Although given the history between the two countries, such union would have been very unlikely.

Last edited:
Your list tallies with mine in terms of names and numbers, but I've got some of them in a different order. Nevertheless 58 ahead of George of Hanover would appear to be the correct number. Amazing when you think about it, all because of religion.

I based my list on male primogeniture which operated at the time (and now too, come to that) in Britain.
Good to know we agree on those on the list: I wondered whether we had counted the same people among those 58 ahead of George of Hanover.
Interestingly, some of those royal didn't have claims to the Throne in their own countries (being female-line descendants) but did have rights to the British Throne.

I wonder whether the Parliament went through the names of every single one of these people before disqualifying them for various reasons.
It must have been a relief to stumble upon the "eligible" Sophia.

Last edited:
I've wondered about that myself. My guess is that they went for Sophia because of her large family which gave the prospect of a long term Protestant future and the fact that her son was a ruler in his own right and therefore of a suitable status to wear the Crown of Great Britain. Some of those ahead of her may have been suitable Protestants, but with no family so the prospect of another succession crisis lay ahead.

The very name of the Act makes the intention crystal clear - the Act of Settlement - whereby the Parliament settled the succession issue once and for all. The Act's effectiveness is demonstrated by the fact that for the three hundred years that have passed since the death of Queen Anne, succession to the British Crown has been both assured and seamless.

Last edited:
The succession was not TOO sure when Queen Victoria's father had to scramble to produce an heir, since the last heiress had died. If there were other waiting heirs I suppose the Duke of Kent would not have left his mistress of decades to marry a Protestant princess so that he might have a child when he was over 50, to secure the throne to his immediate family. Now that we see the list of 58 from an earlier generation, we might assume there still were heirs available other than the as-yet unborn Victoria. I believe one of the Duke's brothers also had an heir, in his middle age, but she was younger than Victoria.

Have you ever read the sparse material about the Duke of Kent and his long term Catholic mistress? This couple were faithful to one another for many years but could not marry. I forget her name, except to say that she was descended on her mother's side from the illustrious Colonna's of Italy, who produced two popes, a poet, and many politicians. The poet was Vittoria Colonna.

I read about this couple when I was looking for possible ancestors of myself in the royal lines, even illegitimate, to explain why I have the royal malady Porphyria. I found, thus, the longterm relationship of the Duke of Kent and his mistress, which some sources say produced offspring. The first offspring was Robert Woods, and I too have a Robert Woods ancestor, but reading the genealogy records at the Mormon church nearby (on microfilm) I see that Robert Woods, son of the Duke of Kent, was a generation off from my likely Robert Woods, and there are thousands of Robert Woods, anyway, in the pool--it's a common name. The Duke was supposed to have given his first son to his aide to raise back in Kent, and the son was supposed to have married Charlotte Grey, daughter of Earl Grey (of tea fame). Victoria suppressed knowledge of her father's illegitimate children--also something I read when reading about this--can't vouch for its truth.

Marrying and siring a potential Heir to the Throne usually meant increase in Parliamentary allowance, which is why George III's unmarried children hastened to comply with the King's wishes and marry. However, there were plenty of descendants of Sophie of Hanover around - just few descendants of George III. In fact, there nearly 150 descendants of George II living in 1837 (the year of Queen Victoria's accession), and at least twice as many descendants of Sophia, Electress of Hanover through other lines.

The Line of Succession (George III's descendants) looked like this:
1. Princess Victoria (later Queen Victoria)
2. Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale, later Ernest Augustus I of Hanover (son of George III)
3. Prince George of Cumberland, later George V of Hanover (son of Prince Ernest Augustus)
4. Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (son of George III)
5. Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge (son of George III)
6. Prince of Cambridge (son of Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge)
7. Princess Augusta of Cambridge (daughter of Prince Adolphus)
8. Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge (daughter of Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge)
9. Princess Augusta Sophia (daughter of George III)
10. Princess Elizabeth, later Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg (daughter of George III)
11. Princess Mary, later Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (daughter of George III)
12. Princess Sophia (daughter of George III)

Some of those in the list had heirs (born after 1837), including the Hanover line.

However, if George III's line completely died out (if none of the 12 people mentioned above left legitimate descendants), and all of them, for whatever reasons, died before 1837, then next in the Line would have been George II's other descendants.

As of 20 June 1837, they were:

{Part 1}
1. Princess Sophia of Gloucester (daughter of Prince William, Duke of Gloucester, the son of Frederick, Prince of Wales, the son of George II)
2. Charles II, Duke of Brunswick (son of Frederick, Duke of Brunswick, son of Princess Augusta of Great Britain, daughter of Frederick, Prince of Wales)
3. William, Duke of Brunswick (son of Frederick, Duke of Brunswick)
4. William I of Wurttemberg (son of Duchess Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, daughter of Princess Augusta of Great Britain)
5. Charles I of Wurttemberg (son of William I of Wurttemberg)
6. Marie of Wurttemberg (daughter of William I of Wurttemberg)
7. Sophie of Wurttemberg (daughter of William I of Wurttemberg)
8. Catherine of Wurttemberg (daughter of William I of Wurttemberg)
9. Augusta of Wurttemberg (daughter of William I of Wurttemberg)
10. Prince Paul of Wurttemberg (son of Duchess Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, daughter of Princess Augusta of Great Britain)
11. Frederick Karl August of Wurttemberg (son of Prince Paul of Wurttemberg)
12. Prince August of Wurttemberg (son of Prince Paul of Wurttemberg)
13. Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg (daughter of Prince Paul of Wurttemberg)
14. Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia (son of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
15. Grand Duchess Maria Mikhailovna of Russia (daughter of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
16. Grand Duchess Elizabeth Mikhailovna of Russia (daughter of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
17. Grand Duchess Ekaterina Mikhailovna of Russia (daughter of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
18. Grand Duchess Alexandra Mikhailovna of Russia (daughter of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
19. Grand Duchess Anna Mikhailovna of Russia (daughter of Friederike Charlotte of Wurttemberg)
20. Pauline of Wurttemberg (daughter of Prince Paul of Wurttemberg)
21. Prince Nikolaus of Nassau (son of Pauline of Wurttemberg)
22. Helene Wilhelmine of Nassau (daughter of Pauline of Wurttemberg)
23. Sophia of Nassau (daughter of Pauline of Wurttemberg)
24. Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, 2nd Prince of Montfort (son of Catharina of Wurttemberg, daughter of Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel)
25. Napoleon Joseph Bonaparte (son of Catharina of Wurttemberg)
26. Princess Mathilde Bonaparte (daughter of Catharina of Wurttemberg)
27. Frederick VI of Denmark (son of Caroline Matilda of Great Britain, daughter of Frederick, Prince of Wales)
28. Caroline of Denmark (daughter of Frederick VI of Denmark)
29. Vilhelmine Marie of Denmark (daughter of Frederick VI of Denmark)
30. Princess Louise Auguste of Denmark (daughter of Caroline Matilda of Great Britain)
31. Christian August II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg (son of Princess Louise Auguste)
32. Frederick VIII, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein (son of Christian August II)
33. Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (son of Christian August II)
34. Princess Louise Auguste of Schleswig-Holstein (daughter of Christian August II)
35. Princess Caroline Amelie of Schleswig-Holstein (daughter of Christian August II)
36. Princess Caroline Christiane of Schleswig-Holstein (daughter of Christian August II)
37. Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg (son of Princess Louise Auguste)
38. Prince Frederick, Count of Noer (son of Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein)
39. Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (son of Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein)
40. Princess Louise, Countess of Noer (daughter of Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein)
41. Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg (daughter of Princess Louise Auguste)

Last edited:
{Part 2}

42. William I, King of the Netherlands (son of William V, Prince of Orange, son of Princess Anne of Great Britain, daughter of George II)
43. William II of the Netherlands (son of William I, King of the Netherlands)
44. William III of the Netherlands (son of William II of the Netherlands)
45. Prince Alexander of the Netherlands (son of William II of the Netherlands)
46. Prince Henry of the Netherlands (son of William II of the Netherlands)
47. Prince Ernst of the Netherlands (son of William II of the Netherlands)
48. Princess Sophie of the Netherlands (daughter of William II of the Netherlands)
49. Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (son of William I, King of the Netherlands)
50. Willem Frederik Nicolaas of the Netherlands (son of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands)
51. Louise of the Netherlands (daughter of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands)
52. Princess Marianne of the Netherlands (daughter of William I, King of the Netherlands)
53. Charlotte Frederica of Prussia (daughter of Princess Marianne of the Netherlands)
54. William, Duke of Nassau (son of Frederick William, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg, son of Princess Carolina, daughter of Princess Anne of Great Britain)
55. Friedrich Wilhelm of Nassau-Weilburg (son of Frederick William, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg)
56. Wilhelmine Brunold, Grafin von Tiefenbach (daughter of Friedrich Wilhelm of Nassau-Weilburg)
57. Archduke Albrecht of Austria (son of Princess Henrietta of Nassau, daughter of Friedrich Wilhelm of Nassau-Weilburg)
58. Archduke Karl Ferdinand (son of Princess Henrietta of Nassau)
59. Archduke Friedrich Ferdinand (son of Princess Henrietta of Nassau)
60. Archduke Wilhelm Franz (son of Princess Henrietta of Nassau)
61. Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen of the Two Sicilies (daughter of Princess Henrietta of Nassau)
62. Louise Caroline (daughter of Heinrich XIX, Prince of Greiz, son of Princess Wilhelmine, daughter of Princess Carolina, daughter of Princess Anne of Great Britain)
63. Elisabeth (daughter of Heinrich XIX)
64. Heinrich XX, Prince Reuss of Greiz (son of Princess Wilhelmine, daughter of Princess Carolina, daughter of Princess Anne of Great Britain)
65. Amalie of Nassau-Weilburg (daughter of Princess Carolina of Orange, daughter of Princess Anne of Great Britain)
66. Archduke Stephen, Palatine of Hungary (son of Princess Hermine of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, daughter of Amalie of Nassau-Weilburg)
67. Archduchess Hermine Amalie of Austria (daughter of Princess Hermine of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym)
68. Amalia of Oldenburg, Queen of Greece (daughter of Princess Adelheid of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, daughter of Amalie of Nassau-Weilburg)
69. Duchess Frederica of Oldenburg (daughter of Princess Adelheid of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym)
70. Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym (daughter of Amalie of Nassau-Weilburg)
71. George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (son of Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym)
72. Princess Augusta of Waldeck and Pyrmont (daughter of Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym)
73. Princess Hermine of Waldeck and Pyrmont (daughter of Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym)
74. Peter II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg (son of Princess Ida of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, daughter of Amalie of Nassau-Weilburg)
75. Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg (daughter of Princess Carolina of Orange)
76. Duke Alexander of Württemberg (son of Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg)
77. Princess Claudine of Teck (daughter of Duke Alexander of Württemberg)
78. Duchess Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg (daughter of Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg)
79. Archduke Alexander of Austira (son of Duchess Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg)
80. Archduke Joseph Karl of Austria (son of Duchess Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg)
81. Archduchess Elisabeth Franziska (daughter of Duchess Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg)
82. Duchess Amelia of Wurttemberg (daughter of Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg)
83. Marie of Saxe-Altenburg (daughter of Duchess Amelia of Wurttemberg)
84. Therese of Saxe-Altenburg (daughter of Duchess Amelia of Wurttemberg)
85. Elizabeth of Saxe-Altenburg (daughter of Duchess Amelia of Wurttemberg)
86. Aleksandra Iosifna of Altenburg (daughter of Duchess Amelia of Wurttemberg)
87. Duchess Pauline Therese of Wurttemberg (daughter of Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg)
88. Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Wurttemberg (daughter of Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg)
89. Henriette of Baden (daughter of Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Wurttemberg)
90. Sophie of Baden (daughter of Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Wurttemberg)
91. Elizabeth of Baden (daughter of Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Wurttemberg)
92. Leopoldine of Baden (daughter of Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Wurttemberg)
93. William II, Elector of Hesse (son of William I, Elector of Hesse, son of Princess Mary of Great Britain, daughter of George II)
94. Frederick William, Elector of Hesse (son of William II, Elector of Hesse)
95. Frederich Wilhelm (son of Frederick William, Elector of Hesse)
96. Moritz (son of Frederick William, Elector of Hesse)
97. Wilhelm (son of Frederick William, Elector of Hesse)
98. Princess Marie Frederica of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of William II, Elector of Hesse)
99. Georg II, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (son of Princess Marie Frederica of Hesse-Kassel)
100. Marie Friederike of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of William I, Elector of Hesse)
101. Alexander Karl, Duke of Anhalt-Bernburg (son of Marie Friederike of Hesse-Kassel)
102. Princess Luise of Anhalt-Bernburg (daughter of Marie Friederike of Hesse-Kassel)
103. Prince Alexander of Prussia (son of Princess Luise of Anhalt-Bernburg)
104. Prince George of Prussia (son of Princess Luise of Anhalt-Bernburg)
105. Landgravine Karoline Amalie of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of William I, Elector of Hesse)
106. Prince Frederik of Hesse (son of Prince Charles of Hesse-Kassel, son of Princess Mary of Great Britain, daughter of George II)
107. Marie Sophie of Hesse, Queen of Denmark and Norway (daughter of Prince Charles of Hesse-Kassel)
108. Caroline of Denmark (daughter of Marie Sophie of Hesse)
109. Vilhelmine Marie of Denmark (daughter of Marie Sophie of Hesse)
110. Juliane, Princess of Hesse (daughter of Prince Charles of Hesse-Kassel)
111. Louise Caroline of Hesse (daughter of Prince Charles of Hesse-Kassel)
112. Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
113. Prince Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
114. Christian IX of Denmark (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
115. Prince Julius of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
116. Prince Johann of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
117. Prince Nikolaus of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (son of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
118. Princess Luise Marie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (daughter of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
119. Princess Frederike of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (daughter of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
120. Princess Louise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg- Glucksburg (daughter of Louise Caroline of Hesse)
121. Prince William of Hesse-Kassel (son of Prince Frederick of Hesse-Kassel, son of Princess Mary of Great Britain, daughter of George II)
122. Friedrich Wilhelm of Hesse (son of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
123. Marie Luise of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
124. Adelheid-Marie of Anhalt-Dessau (daughter of Marie Luise of Hesse-Kassel)
125. Louise of Hesse, Queen of Denmark (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
126. Auguste Sophie of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
127. Friedrich Wilhelm of Hesse (son of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
128. Georg Karl of Hesse (son of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
129. Luise Karoline of Hesse (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
130. Marie of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
131. Frederick William, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (son of Marie of Hesse-Kassel)
132. George of Mecklenburg (son of Marie of Hesse-Kassel)
133. Luise of Mecklenburg (daughter of Marie of Hesse-Kassel)
134. Duchess Caroline of Mecklenburg (daughter of Marie of Hesse-Kassel)
135. Augusta of Hesse-Kassel (daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel)
136. Gustav, Prince of Vasa (son of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden, son of Sophia Magdalena of Denmark, daughter of Louise of Great Britain - George II's daughter)
137. Carola of Vasa, Queen of Saxony (daughter of Gustav, Prince of Vasa)
138. Princess Sophie of Sweden (daughter of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden)
139. Louis II, Grand Duke of Baden (son of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
140. Frederick I, Grand Duke of Baden (son of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
141. Wilhelm of Baden (son of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
142. Charles of Baden (son of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
143. Alexandrine of Baden (daughter of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
144. Marie of Baden (daughter of Princess Sophie of Sweden)
145. Princess Amelia Maria of Sweden (daughter of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden)
146. Princess Cecilia of Sweden (daughter of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden)

- This succession line is not taking into consideration the compliance of marriages with the Marriages Act. I also haven't excluded any Catholics that may be on the list.
-- I have included all descendants of morganatic marriages because there is no such thing in Britain: as long as the Monarch gave his/her consent, that's all that mattered. Legitimised children (those born out of wedlock but legitimised by their parents’ subsequent marriage) are not included since they have no rights according to British rules.

Last edited:
...If there were other waiting heirs I suppose the Duke of Kent would not have left his mistress of decades to marry a Protestant princess...
The lady in question was Julie de St Laurent a French woman and former mistress of two French aristocrats, they got together in 1791 and only seperated when the Duke of Kent married Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld in 1818. There is no direct evidence they had any children, but several families in Canada claim they are descendents.
The Duke is believed to have had one or possibly two daughters by an earlier mistress when he was in Geneva in the late 1780s.

I wonder whether the Parliament went through the names of every single one of these people before disqualifying them for various reasons.
It must have been a relief to stumble upon the "eligible" Sophia.

I personally doubt they "stumbled upon" her - in a book about Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans, Sophia's niece, there were quotes from letters of the duchess to the electress where EC wondered by Sphia was so interested in the British inheritance when Britain was not worth being considered as a place to live...

But if you are interested in all kinds of aspects surrounding the Hannoverian succession to the throne of the UK, this should be the book for you: (not sure I didn't give the link before, so you might already know it):
The electress Sophia and the Hanoverian succession (Open Library)

When the Elector of Hanover (later Grorge I) was a young man he visited London, and there was a rumour he was going to marry Princess Anne (later Queen Anne). I wonder if he had would she have had children that would have survived?
He didn't want her because he and his family felt that Anne as daughter of a mere Lady Anne Hyde was not equal in birth.

I found that quote in the book The Electress Sophia and the Hannoverian succession:

The hand of the Princess Anne had at this time been also thought to be within reach of Ernest Augustus and Sophia's eldest son George Lewis, who paid a visit to England from December, 1680, to the following March. But for him, too, a different destiny was reserved ; nor, if the account of a most sagacious observer and true friend is to be trusted, had this particular honour ever been coveted either by the Prince himself or at Hanover, for this among other reasons, that Princess Anne's birth on the mother's side was from a very second-rate family. The Prince had, accordingly, taken very little trouble in the matter ; so that, when he left England, it was thought that the marriage would never take place - all of which things Queen Anne never forgot.See Ezechiel Spanheim's Account of the English Court, printed by Dr. R. Doebner in English Historical Review, Vol. ii. 1887, pp. 757 sqq. Spanheim's statement as to the scruples felt at Hanover is exactly borne out by an observation of Sophia, a propos of the proposed match between her son George Lewis and the Princess Sophia Dorothea, that the example of the Prince of Orange (William III) ' renders the notion more endurable.' In other words, the House of Hanover thought a marriage with a daughter of Anne Hyde a sort of mesalliance. (See Briefwechsel d. Herzogin Sophie mit d. Kurfiirsten Karl Ludwig, p. 387.)

Back
Top Bottom