George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't both Duke and his brother, the Prince of Wales, spend some time in Argentina? And wasn't Argentina a 'New World' hotbed for the Germans? I remember reading that somewhere in some material on the Duke of Windsor (then PofW).
It's hard for me to think of the Duke of Kent as being a traitor (and of course, nothing is proven and we're speculating all around on all accounts)... especially given the duties and public appearances Princess Marina undertook...... and the selfless duty his daughter now gives to her country.

Carolina, no the Duke of Kent wasn't a traitor of his country. He never was. His wife undertook duties without a salary or pension, how could they have been traitors since they appeared so devoted to the monarchy and to Britain and so selfless, like you emphasized before?

Duke of Kent video

I stumbled across this YouTube video on the life of the Duke of Kent.
The video is largely comprised of still photographs plus a bit of film footage.
It goes for just under 5 minutes, is accompanied by relaxing music, and is a pleasant way to spend some time.

Double click to view it in large size in YouTube.

YouTube - ‪Prince George, Duke of Kent‬‏

My dear Warren,

Thank you for posting the video clip. Lots of interesting photographs. He and Marina certainly looked very happy together. Such a shame he was killed so young.

Marina was looked like a snob but Im not going to believe that because that might be someone trying to make her look bad.Does anyone have quotes or proof that she was a snob?

Marina was looked like a snob but Im not going to believe that because that might be someone trying to make her look bad.Does anyone have quotes or proof that she was a snob?

Marina was born into a royal family and to a mother who took her royal status very seriously. I am referring to Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna. Marina was the last foreign-born princess, not counting Prince Philip (I should say foreign born royal, not princess but you get my drift), to marry into the British royal family. She allegedly commented that her sisters-in-law, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who became Queen Consort to George VI, and Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, were just "common Scotch girls." This may have given rise to an opinion that she was a royal snob.

Last edited:
And from what one reads of her, she, as a "double" royal would have found it galling to be expected to curtsey to one who had only attained royal status through marriage, also it must be remembered that the Russians were Imperials and the Windsors merely Royals!!!

I don't know how George could be considered the best looking of the brothers. Prince Albert (George VI) was the best looking imo. Marina looks like a prettier and better looking Wallis Simpson, especially considering how they both were apparently so glamourous.

I guess that's rather subjective, but to me Georgie is the most handsome as well. Very tall and well-proportioned, charismatic (more visible in footage than in pictures), a handsome face and always stylish dressed. I think he has been the most glamorous male member of the Windsors so far. It's also said, and from what I've seen and read it certainly appears that way, that he was the most intelligent of the brothers.

Sure, Bertie was a handsome man, but to me he had the charisma and sex-appeal of a potato. :p

Hello! Questions about Prince George, Duke of Kent...

I love this forum and it seems very informative and informational.

I recently started doing research into British royal history. I've been reading a lot about 20th century royalty, mostly in Europe, but I want to do more research on royalty period. I'm so fascinated by royalty, how things work, the drama, the romances, the family divisions, the sex!!!!! My coworker and I was having a good convo about royalty last night, and I was telling her about the house of Windsor in the early 20th century (right around World War I and World World II). I'm really fascinated by all the royalty in Europe, but I've been doing more research into the house of Windsor. I read about the Edward VIII turning down the crown to be with partner Wallis Simpson and how it cause a crisis in the royal house, and how George VI had to take the crown and how he wasn't sure how good of a king he would be because of his limitations. Its really something to read about how the royals, both past and present, have struggled with the same thing that most non royal people have struggled with in there everyday life. However I'm really fascinated by there brother Prince George, Duke of Kent. I've read some postings about him on here, and how he turned out a bit different than his older brothers. I've heard some of the rumors about him, about his sexuality, drug use, how he ended up getting married and having children and living somewhat of a normal life, then ended up dying in action in World War 2. Some of the questions that I have about him:

Is it confirmed that he had same sex relationships because of letters that he wrote? This is the only way that I could think of someone's sexuality being confirmed during this time is through letters that were written by them, not hearsay or gossip, since everything was VERY secretive back then. Also, with his drug use, was this something that was confirmed through letters also? Since everything was so hidden back then, how do people know now?

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that he had same sex relationships because of letters that he wrote? This is the only way that I could think of someone's sexuality being confirmed during this time is through letters that were written by them, not hearsay or gossip, since everything was VERY secretive back then. Also, with his drug use, was this something that was confirmed through letters also? Since everything was so hidden back then, how do people know now?

We don't know anything about George as 100%, it is all an assumption. It is most likely that he has affairs with both men and women, it is also likely he took drugs. But nobody can confirm or deny, even his letters are debatable.

We don't know anything about George as 100%, it is all an assumption. It is most likely that he has affairs with both men and women, it is also likely he took drugs. But nobody can confirm or deny, even his letters are debatable.
I'm sorry but this is a rather negligent comment in its totality. Neither Prince George's homosexual relationships nor his drug use are assumptions whatsoever.
I recommend the biography of Noel Coward by Philip Hoare, the Cecil Beaton biography by Hugo Vickers, Dennis Friedman's 'Inheritance' and the Windsor chronicle ‘Dynasty’ by Donald Spoto (as well as the topic ‘Gay Royalty’ here) for further reference.

It’s also partly a misconception that the topics were more secretive in general in the 1920s and 30s than they are now; for the general public yes, but not within the inner circle of the privileged whose members were able to lead their lives actually more freely than at present as they could be certain that the press would never write about certain things that were common knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is a rather negligent comment in its totality. Neither Prince George's homosexual relationships nor his drug use are assumptions whatsoever.
I recommend the biography of Noel Coward by Philip Hoare, the Cecil Beaton biography by Hugo Vickers, Dennis Friedman's 'Inheritance' and the Windsor chronicle ‘Dynasty’ by Donald Spoto (as well as the topic ‘Gay Royalty’ here) for further reference.

Actually it isn't thank you very much, nobody can confirm or deny the rumours that they are. Books don't mean anything, people can write what they like when they want to, particularly the one of Noel Coward who was confirmed by his long term partner not to have any involvement other than a friendship with The Duke.

I'm of the belief that if it doesn't come from the horses mouth, it isn't true.

Actually it isn't thank you very much, nobody can confirm or deny the rumours that they are. Books don't mean anything, people can write what they like when they want to, particularly the one of Noel Coward who was confirmed by his long term partner not to have any involvement other than a friendship with The Duke.

I'm of the belief that if it doesn't come from the horses mouth, it isn't true.
This strikes me a rather short-sighted approach towards history in general and legitimate biographies in particular...
IMHO dismissing references and sources without even having checked them simply adds up to being opinionated instead of forming one's own opinion solidly based on gathering information.

I've read Dynasty and the Cecil Beaton biog, and the Gay Royalty Thread. It is still my opinion that unless a book comes from the 'horses' mouth it is all just words. The same goes for the constant news articles, wikipedia pages etc. Everyone looks at history differently.

Last edited:
It is still my opinion that unless a book comes from the 'horses' mouth it is all just words. The same goes for the constant news articles, wikipedia pages etc. Everyone looks at history differently.

What would constitute "the horse's mouth" in this context?

Is there any video with Prince George talking? Any audio? I know theres audio of George VI and Edward VIII talking.

Princess Marina is the first one on the photo, the next are her sisters.

This was posted today about George and Marina's wedding:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Marina's Gown

It's a good read. Does anyone know if Hugo Vickers claim that Marina was the only war widow in Britain who had to pay death duties was true? If so, why was she an exception?

Here is a lovely group photo of the wedding from the NPG.

Finally, were these all her bridesmaids:
Princesses Irene, Eugenie and Katherine of Greece and Denmark
Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia
Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands
Princess Elizabeth of York
Lady Iris Mountbatten
Lady Mary Cambridge.
That's quite a wedding party! Thanks for any info.

i have been interested in prince george and princess marina for a while. I know that during their time many royal mariiages were a conveniente one. however i always hope that george and mairna's could be a love match.

Status-conscious princess

Marina was born into a royal family and to a mother who took her royal status very seriously. I am referring to Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna. Marina was the last foreign-born princess, not counting Prince Philip (I should say foreign born royal, not princess but you get my drift), to marry into the British royal family. She allegedly commented that her sisters-in-law, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who became Queen Consort to George VI, and Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, were just "common Scotch girls." This may have given rise to an opinion that she was a royal snob.

Thank you for that clarification. I was just reading "The Queen Mother" by Lady Colin Campbell and learned some very disturbing revelations. Before I begin, I must say that the book as a whole comes off as more than a bit "gossipy", yet as I am an American and the author is an English aristocrat, I can only surmise that she knows more about her subject than I do. That said, the book did attribute the quote "common Scottish girls" to Princess Marina, yet it also highlighted several instances in which Princess Marina (at least in her early days of courtship and marriage) made several attempts at upstaging Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Therefore, it's quite possible that Princess Marina had made the remark as a way of way of reminding Queen Elizabeth of where she came from (albeit in a catty manner).

On the whole, if it were the attitude of Princess Marina to be "status conscious", she was certainly in good company. Only twenty years separated the conclusion of World War I and the start of World War II. During the first conflict, when royal cousins were literally killing one another, the novel idea of "princes must always marry princesses" had begun to ring hollow. Looking at the disasters that befell other royal houses (specifically Russia, with it's German-born Empress), King George V "modernized" his dynasty by allowing his children to marry men and women of non-royal (though none-the-less noble) birth.

Lady Colin Campbell is quite an interesting character. She was born George Ziadie in Jamaica to a father of Greek descent and a mother of mixed European ancestry- not as a British aristocrat, and due to an unspecified condition was actually raised as a boy until her late teens, undergoing gender re-assignment surgery at 21. She was married to Lord Colin Campbell, younger son of the 11th Duke of Argyll, for less than a year but kept his name after the divorce. (He reportedly didn't know of her surgery before the marriage. :eek:) You should take anything she says with a whole mine of salt...It has been said that "Georgie" doesn't have as much access as she infers she does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always thought of Lady Colin Campbell as a dodgy character from some of the magazine articles which have quoted her from many years ago. I remember she wrote a book about the late Princess Diana and then admitted she had never actually met Diana. So how could anyone write a definitive account about the Princess when they didn't know them personally. Relying on "sources" is always a dodgy deal if you ask me. I think Campbell hangs on to the title of Aristocrat like a lifeline.

She was married to Lord Colin Ivar Campbell, the son of Ian Campbell, 11th Duke of Argyll in 1974; they were divorced in 1975.

The title is a courtesy title from her marriage. I don't think she is knowledgeable to any degree and writes gossip and hearsay.

Thank you all for that. I think anyone who believes anything that comes out of "Lady" Colin Campbell's mouth is sadly mistaken. "Georgie" is just a sad human who has little to no access into the lives of anyone royal.

In fact, the TV morning talk shows here in the States used to have her on whenever she wrote a book but then they came to their senses and realized she really had no knowledge of what she was writing about so they no longer invite on the shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom