British Royal Historical Scandals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russophile,

Thank you for the link to the book. I had heard that Prince Felix Yussopov was bi-sexual or gay . . .

I read that the marriage between the Marquess and Marchioness was strictly for political/status and Lady Theresa had side affairs. I must say she had a wonderful jewel collection which I am in awe of. She had jewels that had belonged to the Romanov family. I don't find her that attractive, but those jewels did wonders for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Meg has made my morning with a laugh..... "I don't find her that attractive, but those jewels did wonders for her."

Ja, I think so! :ROFLMAO: What famous people are reputed to be his children? I know at one time Edward was suspected of fathering Lilly Langtry's daughter but now most historians believe (I think) that the true father was Prince Louis of Battenburg, the grandfather of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. Any idea of the number of illegitimate offspring of Edward VII?

here are some names to ponder over !!

jean-marie langtry
alexandra maud veneta james
maynard greville
sonia rosemary keppel
george frederick myddelton cornwallis-west
stewart arthur forster
rosemary aimee douglas erskine crum
ogla, baroness de mayer, the daughter of blanche, duchess di caracciola
and many more......

the king, never officially recognised any illegitimate offspring though !!

:previous:
yes you are correct in thinking that, the widowed lady randolph married him on the 28th july 1900, they divorced in 1913......

Royal Scandals

Most of us are pretty familiar with the "Big one" with King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. By today's standards, it would still be a "Big one". What other royal scandals do you find interesting?

The whole Charles/Diana mess. Edward VII also got into a bit of trouble in his day. Then there's Henry VIII, changing his country's religion to divorce his wife marry another woman and then cutting off her head. I'd imagine after the Anne of Cleves situation people just stopped being shocked by him.

LOL Id say your right also The Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha Nazi Link Cant have pleased many

Henry II's involvement in the murder of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the death of the Princes in the Tower; the behavior of the children of George III; and the Flora Hastings matter, to name a few. Charles and Diana were newsworthy but paled in comparison to many other scandals, including Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, which cost him the throne. But truly, which was more scandalous--that she was married when they first began their affair or that he wanted to marry a divorced woman? As Head of the Church of England, Edward could not marry a divorcee but morally I think his affair when she was married was more scandalous. But then, that's me.

Jonny,

Although Edward never recognized these supposed illegitimate offspring, did they receive any honors from him? Or any recognition from other royals because of their connection through Edward?

To me the biggest scandal must be Henry's love to Anne Boleyn. I mean at that time and changing a whole countries religion because of the personal love of a King...

To me the biggest scandal must be Henry's love to Anne Boleyn. I mean at that time and changing a whole countries religion because of the personal love of a King...

Definitely agree to this interpretation. Development and as a result, a very different situation.

I'm not very familiar with the Princes in the Tower~blush. But what actually happened? Did Richard III really have them murdered>

I'm not very familiar with the Princes in the Tower~blush. But what actually happened? Did Richard III really have them murdered>

No one knows for sure. I would say yes, it was ordered by Richard or one of his supporters sometime in fall or winter 1483. If it wasn't Richard my money would be on the Duke of Buckingham. There are also theories involving Henry Tudor and his mother, but I don't think those are very plausible.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...1473-1483-the-princes-in-the-tower-22302.html

No one knows for sure. I would say yes, it was ordered by Richard or one of his supporters sometime in fall or winter 1483. If it wasn't Richard my money would be on the Duke of Buckingham. There are also theories involving Henry Tudor and his mother, but I don't think those are very plausible.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...1473-1483-the-princes-in-the-tower-22302.html

To show that there is clear differences of opinion on this issue I personally believe that Richard had nothing to do with their disappearance. I am not convinced that they were actually murdered in 1483 but that they were removed for their safety and either Henry had them murdered or they died of natural causes at a later stage of their lives - possibly in a monastery somewhere.

This is a topic that has been argued and researched to death over the years and the simple answer is:

They were taken to the Tower for Edward to prepare for his coronation (perfectly acceptable as Kings went from the tower to the Abbey for their coronations in those days).

They were seen playing in the grounds of the Tower in the late summer 1483.

They were declared illigitmate by Parliament due to their father's alleged betrothal to another before his secret wedding to Elizabeth.

They weren't seen again after the summer.

What happened? We don't know - they could have died that summer without any foul play, they could have been murdered that summer, they could have been removed from the country that summer, they might have still been alive when Henry took the throne and he had them killed, Henry could have hidden them away somewhere etc etc etc.

Oh I totally think Richard had something to do with it either directly or indirectly.....it was like Henry II and Becket...he mentioned it in passing and someone decided to do the King (or uncle of a King) a favor and get rid of his burden.

But we have to remember that terrible things had happened the last fifty (or 100) years before the Princes in the Tower. You had the War of the Roses, the family infighting was just horrible and they were killing everyone (or pratically) everyone who stood in the way of the throne. I mean, once Edward II was killed and they have the upheaval of the War of the Roses.....Henry's king, no Edward is King...you have the Earl of Warwick making any and everybody a King....Edward's brother turning on him....and brothers and cousins turning on each other....the killing of the Princes should not have been a surprise. But what was surprising was prior to this (in my opinion) no one every touched/killed children. If you were old to take up fighting (Henry VI and Margaret's son...I think another Edward), and you died in battle...that was different. No one ever targeted small and in my mind innocent children prior to this.

But back on topic...I am going to go with George IV ( I think that is the right George) and Caroline of Brunswick. I am going to marry you and have a kid, I will try to divorce you and tell England that you are not a nice woman and when that doesn't work....I will lock the church doors so you can't get crowned. That had to be a nice juicy scandal.

Yes, I had forgotten about Caroline of Brunswick! That poor woman. To have the abbey doors slammed in your face when you show up for your Coronation! What a lout George!

Well...she wasn't exactly innocent.

Traveling all over Europe with some man who was not her husband? What did she expect? And frankly, she was a bit free with her favors while she was in England. If the British public hadn't hated George more than they hated her...he would have been divorced before he was Crowned.

And yes, hypocrisy is a big thing since George wasn't entirely faithful to her. And some say married to Mariz Fritzherbet. But he was man, King and had all the power. Sometimes life isnt' fair.

If we want to talk about other scandals...how about Edward VII and all his other women...and the threat of being named in a divorce case...or George, Duke of Kent and his alleged affairs before and after his marriage to Princess Marina of Greece. Or the uncles of Queen Victoria? When you have to make a conscious effort to marry and have LEGITIMATE children so that they can inheirit the throne...that is pretty sad.

Last edited:
Jonny,

Although Edward never recognized these supposed illegitimate offspring, did they receive any honors from him? Or any recognition from other royals because of their connection through Edward?

to be quite honest with you i do not know if they had or not !

i have not gone into this subject in much depth, as it is only presumed that these children was fathered by king edward VII.

most of edwards lovers were married women and these children could be passed off as their husbands, regardless who fathered them !

it is therefore difficult to determine paternity with any certainty, as there is only circumstantial evidence to rely on, which would suggest that edward may had fathered these children !! :flowers:

Didn't Charles II have a number of illegitimate children but no legal heir? Wasn't Henrietta Maria barren?

yes king charles II had 15 or more illegitimate children.
his wife was not henrietta maria, that was his mother. this king married catherine henrietta of braganza and she had three children stillborn and a miscarriage !!
btw a number of the kings illegitimate offsring are the ancestors of the late Diana, Princess of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall ! :flowers:

Last edited:
yes king charles II had 15 or more illegitimate children.
his wife was not henrietta maria, that was his mother. this king married catherine henrietta of braganza and she had three children stillborn and a miscarriage !!
btw a number of the kings illegitimate offsring are the ancestors of both diana, princess of wales and camilla, duchess of cornwall ! :flowers:

Sarah, Duchess of York can also claim descent from Charles II along with Diana, Princess of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall (aka Camilla).

NB To describe Camilla and Diana with the same form of their titles, as done above, is to imply that they are/were both divorced from Charles but Diana was divorced and hence became Diana, Princess of Wales but Camilla is definitely married and thus is HRH The Duchess of Cornwall or at least Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall. This is a side issue and just a personal note and I understood perfectly what you meant but on a royal board we could try sometimes to get that side of the titles things correct and please don't take offence as I am just trying to point out that the different ways titles are written means different things regarding the status of the person concerned. The use of the word 'The' with a capital 'T' has a lot of meaning in titles.

point taken, no offence taken...... are you suggesting that i should have written the late Diana Princess of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall ?

am sorry if i have offended, i treat the use of TRF as a mere pastime, so therefore am not so particular about being precise regarding the correct forms, some of which may be due to my ignorence anyway !!

i will try to do so in any future posts, if i return !!

cheers :flowers:

Last edited:
point taken, no offence taken...... are you suggesting that i should have written the late Diana Princess of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall ?

am sorry if i have offended, i treat the use of TRF as a mere pastime, so therefore am not so particular about being precise regarding the correct forms, some of which may be due to my ignorence anyway !!

i will try to do so in any future posts, if i return !!

cheers :flowers:

I certainly didn't take offence but was simply pointing out that the way you originally wrote the titles had them both divorced rather than one married and one divorced.

Yes the TRF is a great pasttime and I love reading your posts.

I do think that trying to get the titles/styles right when the wrong way of use actually changes the titles and status is something we can strive to do (and I do know that at times I have got it wrong).

However, I am also a teacher and sometimes I do find some things grate.

Please don't leave on account of my post as I was simply trying to add to yours (and others knowledge) accepting that many people don't know the difference.

I hope that I have added to your knowledge rather than made you feel 'ignorant' or in any way lacking in anything as you have added a lot to my knowledge here at times.

no worries.....am glad that you have enlightened me and i appreciate your help to get things correct....:flowers:.
am learning everyday , its not a bad thing :D

however, thank you of reminding me that Sarah, Duchess of York, is also a descendant of king Charles II....i had qiute forgotten !!

there is a few scandals attached to Sarah's name is there not ? :whistling:

Well...she wasn't exactly innocent.

Traveling all over Europe with some man who was not her husband? What did she expect? And frankly, she was a bit free with her favors while she was in England. If the British public hadn't hated George more than they hated her...he would have been divorced before he was Crowned.

Caroline of Brunswick lived at the Villa d'Este (at Lake Como) and traveled around Europe with Bertolomeo Pergami.

LOL Id say your right also The Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha Nazi Link Cant have pleased many

hi.....
well Charles Edward the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was merely conforming to the political mores of the day which existed in that period of Germany's history, hardly a scandal in its self !!.

it was the norm and rather a exception for a high rankling German to be linked to the Nazi Party and the Reich, in fact amongst this familys members there were nine individuals who was members of the Nazi Party !! .

yes between the two world wars, the vast majority of the German Royal, Princely, Ducal families and the German Nobility became enthusiatic supporter's of hitler and prominent among them was a great number of Queen Victoria's descendants i fear, even the brother in laws of our present Queen's husband Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, was promiment members of the Nazi Party.....:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom