The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I always operated under the idea that Kat Ashley was the most important woman in Elizabeth's life, probably because she was with her the longest.

I don't recall The Virgin Queen being about Raleigh? I remember the Golden Age being too much about him and Bess.

Update, when online and found The Virgin Queen is from the 50s with Bette Davis; I wonder why Raleigh and Bess are so fascinating to Hollywood.
Yes the Bette Davis one...that is all it is about. Not great.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 AM
Gentry

Regarding Elizabeth and Leister...do most people he really loved her, as in a man loves a woman, or simply in the manner of a queen, confidante, friend, etc...but that he would have gladly married her if he could? Was it really an unfulfilled romance? Or just courtly games?

He clearly wanted her own heir and was bent on getting one, but not convinced he married Lettice for love either. But then, did any of them? Except maybe Cecil? He was said to love his wife dearly and vice versa.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:24 AM
Majesty

Probably quite a few aristocrats/courtiers loved their wives. Leicester, yes I think he did love Elizabeth, particularly as the years went by. They shared so many memories. However, ambition was also mingled with his love. The Dudleys were always a family anxious to advance themselves and Robert was no different.

I definitely think he would have married Elizabeth if there had been no Amy Robsart. However, Elizabeth might have been more cautious. She wanted no Master over her.

Robert probably fell in love with Lettice as well, after virtually giving up on the Queen. Lettice was said to resemble Elizabeth physically.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Robert probably fell in love with Lettice as well, after virtually giving up on the Queen. Lettice was said to resemble Elizabeth physically.
Lettice was the daughter of Elizabeth's first cousin Catherine (Carey) Knollys, believed by some to also have been Elizabeth's half-sister. So I guess it makes sense that they would resemble one another. Another Boleyn girl causing trouble for the monarch....
Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Gentry

Well,
Elizabeth is also a Boleyn girl lol...

But I do think it was a bit nasty of Leister to take up with her, if she bugged the queen as much as has been said. I think he meant only for a dalliance initially...but Lettice wanted a new husband after hers died.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine Carey ,Lady Knollys was a firm favourite of the queen,she died at Hampton Court in 1569 and also buried at St Edmund's Chapel in Westminster Abbey at the expense of the queen.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy63 View Post
Well,
Elizabeth is also a Boleyn girl lol...

But I do think it was a bit nasty of Leister to take up with her, if she bugged the queen as much as has been said. I think he meant only for a dalliance initially...but Lettice wanted a new husband after hers died.
Ha! Ha! You are exactly right! And now that I think about it Queen Elizabeth II is another Boleyn girl too!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 AM
Gentry

I read “The Men Who Would be King”today...a book detailing all of Elizabeth’s suitors, one by one, starting with Thomas Seymour, ending with Essex. Very well done and readable, not overly scholarly like some of them are. Would recommend to those interested.

It played a lot on her love for flattery and words of love, as a substitute for the love of a complete physical relationship, such as a marriage would entail, as well as her fear and apprehension of what became of women who did not bow down to their husbands, from her own childhood experiences.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Irish Catholic Martyrs under Elizabeth I

https://www.irishcatholic.com/rememb...irish-martyrs/

The Most High profile were
Patrick O'Hely,Bishop of Mayo executed 1579
The Abbot of Boyle 1580
The Abbot of Holy Trinity,1580
Dermot O'Hurley,Archbishop of Cashel,1584
Old 09-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

After she became the Queen Regnant, did Elizabeth I give any of her Boleyn relatives a position at court?

Queen Elizabeth I disapproved of Katherine Grey's choice of husband in Edward Seymour. Still unmarried, Elizabeth feared that Katherine's ability to bear a son could facilitate a rebellion in support of Katherine as queen.

One of Queen Elizabeth I's suitors was Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. Elizabeth let him down gently and with great diplomacy. Adolf returned home with splendid presents and the Order of the Garter.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
One of Queen Elizabeth I's suitors was Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. Elizabeth let him down gently and with great diplomacy. Adolf returned home with splendid presents and the Order of the Garter.
Through his Catholic mother Sophie of Pomerania ,he was descended from the Polish Jagiellon royal dynasty he went onto marry Christina of Hesse in 1564 .
Old 11-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Through his Catholic mother Sophie of Pomerania ,he was descended from the Polish Jagiellon royal dynasty he went onto marry Christian of Hesse in 1564 .
Who is Christian of Hesse?
Old 11-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Who is Christian of Hesse?
Was a spelling error, An ard Ri meant Christine of Hesse.

Christine was the daughter of Philip I of Hesse and his wife Christine of Saxony. The celebrations of their wedding were so wild, that there was a huge fire at Gottorf castle (the castle which gave the name to Adolph's new duchy Holstein-Gottorp) burned down, losing much of Christine's personal items.

The couple had 10 children. 4 sons and 3 daughters made it to adulthood, though only 1 of the sons married.

Their eldest 2 sons died without children. It was their third son, and 6th child John Adolph who would carry on the line. He had been appointed administrator of the Prince-Archbishopric of Bremen as he was not expected to succeed with his older brothers ahead of him. He resigned his position when he became duke and married Princess Augusta, daughter of Frederick II of Denmark. He was replaced in the archbishopric by his youngest brother John Frederick (youngest of the 10 siblings).

All three daughters to make it to adulthood married:

-Sophia- married Johann VII, Duke of Mecklenburg
-Christina-married King Charles IX of Sweden. She was the grandmother of one of the four queen reignants of Sweden, her namesake Queen Christina
-Anna- married Enno III, Count of East Frisia
Old 11-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes thanks it was a typo and in reference to Christine of Hesse who herself died a little over a year after Elizabeth I in 1604.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

A long-lost portrait of Elizabeth I has been discovered:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...en-elizabeth-i

Tags
biography, british history, earl of essex, earl of leicester, elizabeth i, line of succession, pictures, queen regnant, robert dudley, tudor