Edward III (1327-1377)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
Philippa of Hainault was the daughter of Count William of Hainault and French Princess Joan of Valois.
King Edward III of England married Philippa at York Minster in York, England on January 24, 1328.
The church of York Minster was still being built and had no roof.

:yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose:

Wonderful detail. The effect would have been amazing! Are there any paintings or drawings of the occasion? Were the glass windows installed?

The outer roof of York Minster was completed in the 1330s.
74 of the cathedral's 128 stained glass windows date back to the 1100s.

Not to mention the big fire in the 1980s.

Well I didn't know that! I wonder what St Cuthbert's problem with women was.

Edward was there en route to invading Scotland I presume & no doubt praying for victory!

"Grey towers of Durham Yet well I love thy mixed and massive piles Half Church of God, half castle 'gainst the Scot"

Sir Walter Scott.

Last edited:
Before 1335 Queen Philippa established a small colony of Flemish weavers at Norwich. She displayed an active interest in the weaving trade by repeated visits to Norwich.

There's a pub near here (we're nowhere near Norwich, but Flemish weavers settled in other areas too) called The Flemish Weaver :) . A few pubs around the country have that name, going right back to the arrival of Flemish weavers in the 14th century.

Philippa of Hainault mother was Jeanne de Valois a granddaughter of Philippe III of France and later sister of Philippe IV of France. Another of her cousins was Isabella de France the infamous queen of Edward II.

Jeanne as the mother in law of the English and sister of the French one often acted as Royal Peace maker between the English and French.

Jeanne died in 1352 at the Abbey of Fontenelle and her burial presumed lost was rediscovered archaeological excavations at the abbey ruins and were reburied in 2001 at the local Parish church of Saint-Gery.

At Parliament lords and commoners alike protested some of King Edward III's policies. He scaled back his expenses in France, waiting until he could mount a fully financed major invasion. He placed a tariff on England's export of wool.

At Parliament lords and commoners alike protested some of King Edward III's policies. He scaled back his expenses in France, waiting until he could mount a fully financed major invasion. He placed a tariff on England's export of wool.

What year did this occur?

Because of the Salic Law of Succession, why did King Edward III lay claim to the French throne when his chances to succeed did not look promising?

Queen Philippa's Hainault servants had left after her wedding.
Wantelet de Maunay, who had been her page at Valenciennes, stayed to become her carver. His name was anglicized as Sir Walter Manny.

Edward III was never given the title Prince of Wales before he was crowned king.

Back
Top Bottom