Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Love your sense of humour.:ROFLMAO:
Still I never thought of Wallis Simpson as a beautiful/attractive woman.
She was always extremely well groomed, not a hair out of place.
Still her nose, eyes and strict look she had about her did not seem good looking. My opinion of course.

There was a quote when I read Chanel's bio. of Wallis saying that she had to look good. David expected it of her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she was rather attractive, say, about the time of her first marriage. But IMO she seemed to have a rather hard or harsh quality about her appearance. Perhaps it was her thinness.

And I don't know what quality she possessed that made her special to men in general or this king. But sometimes if women are popular to men, other women dislike them (perhaps not feeling that they are as attractive). That's not been my burden so I don't know.

Some books suggest that E8 needed to be mothered, but surely his other women figured that out. So what made Wallis special? I dunno.

Wallis was quite an androgynous appearence. I think this was hip in the Twenties especially, but I still suppose it wasn't her look what made her so attractive in Davids eyes. That he needed to be mothered I read as well and that he found a warmth in her which he didn't found in all his life before as well. But I too don't know really... :innocent:

There was always something that fascinated me about the Duchess- I don't know- maybe it was her grooming- everything perfect- she wasnt a beauty in the traditional sense- there was a carriage about her- I believe that the connection between her and the Duke was a highly sexual one- she gave him something that he couldnt live without

Yes, she looked pretty as a young woman. I agree with you about the hardness, though, in her later years. There was something brittle about her appearance, as though she were made of glass. She looked perfect in terms of style and grooming, but there was something cold, too.

I think she was rather attractive, say, about the time of her first marriage. But IMO she seemed to have a rather hard or harsh quality about her appearance. Perhaps it was her thinness.

If we can believe her biographers she hardly ate anything substantial and so she was stick thin and that would give her a brittle look.
Edward liked to be ordered about and have someone to tell him what to do. Wallis was clever and realised this. We have Thelma Furness saying that the moment she realised that she, Thelma, and Edward were "finished" was at The Fort when Wallis took over the position of hostess and slapped Edward´s hand when he went to pick up a piece of lettuce with his fingers. She was astonished, and I think that everyone else present would have been too, but he obviously enjoyed it. Not everyone´s idea of "love" but he always said that Wallis was "perfect" so that is what he wanted.

That certainly sounds like Edward, he needed to be boss about now that he didn't have his advisers to do that. :)
She was a pretty woman I think but not the best looking. :)

Wasn't blue the Duchess of Windsor's favourite colour?

A few days ago, I was in a local home improvement centre and was looking at paint for one of the rooms in my house. I noticed it was called "Duchess of Windsor pink". However, I recall once hearing that a certain shade of blue was her favourite.

I always thought what he liked about her was that she didn't treat him special because he was a Prince. She treated him like just another guy. A guy she liked and later loved, but she didn't put him on a pedestal and she would call him on his crap when he did something she didn't think he should've done. She was warm and loving in many ways, but wasn't fawning and didn't lay it on so thick she appeared insincere. He didn't get a lot of affection from his mother when he was a child so he needed love, but at the same time he kind of distrusted women who were too sweet with him because he wondered what exactly they were after. Us commoners don't always realize what it's like when you're royal (or even just rich and famous); you always wonder if people really like you for who you are or if they're only interested in you because you're royal/rich/famous. My mom is a huge fan of all those entertainment news shows and when interviewed a lot of the celebrities they talk to specifically mention how much they hate it when people randomly start fawning on them. Wallis didn't do that. I think she found a balance other women he'd been with hadn't found; she was nice and warm enough to make him feel loved, but still harsh and critical enough that he felt like a normal person.

I don't think it was really a sexual thing or had anything to do with S&M or watersports or any of the other weird stories that have gone around. I'm not saying there wasn't a sexual side but usually when a man (or woman) wants someone mainly because of what they do in bed it gets old pretty fast and within ten years they'll meet someone else they like better. That was the case with a lot of Kings and Princes who were absolutely mad about a woman for about three years and spoiled her rotten during that time period before losing interest almost over night and then moving on to the next girl. That was not the case with Edward and Wallis. He stayed in love with her for the rest of his life.

:previous:

Very well put in my opinion. I remember a story I read in an biography about HM (I suppose it was Sarah Bradfords), that Wallis after Davids dead went every evening to his bedroom to say: "Good night, David."

A few days ago, I was in a local home improvement centre and was looking at paint for one of the rooms in my house. I noticed it was called "Duchess of Windsor pink". However, I recall once hearing that a certain shade of blue was her favourite.
I read that the Duchess preferred sapphires over all other jewels because she thought they brought out the color of her eyes. Maybe blue was her favorite color with gems and pink was a favorite color for clothing or flowers.

David wanted a type of "homeiness" and that was what Wallis provided. He started coming over to her place when she was Mrs. Simpson as she entertained a lot. (This from her autobio.) Which is why I have the Fannie Farmer cookbook, btw, Wallis said she used many, many recipes from it for her dinner parties. I think David enjoyed the atmosphere and the food very much.
As far as Wallis being attractive, she was very clever. (This from Aline's remembrances.) Wallis told Aline once that if you wanted to get somebody to notice you, you told somebody else about it. Hence, Aline saw a man she thought was attractive, one whisper in the man's ear from Wallis and he was all over Aline like a cheap suit. . . .

That was the case with a lot of Kings and Princes who were absolutely mad about a woman for about three years and spoiled her rotten during that time period before losing interest almost over night and then moving on to the next girl. That was not the case with Edward and Wallis. He stayed in love with her for the rest of his life.

I was talking with someone about Bessie the other day and she compared her to the Anne Boleyn of our time... but here you are saying that he stayed in love with her for the rest of his life so I guess that statement doesn't apply to her now.

:previous: I think the Duke was dependent on Wallis emotionally and I believe that if Wallis lived in the 1500's she would not have become a Duchess of anything.
There were a lot of rumours about them two and the relationship they had could have been based on a lot of feelings but I doubt love was one of them.
Seems like the King overestimated his position and once he lost the throne they were both more or less "stuck" with each other.

I think the Duke was looking for something that he didn't receive from his mother, and Wallis's devotion to him was enough for him.

I think they had a serious relatinoship...I think that we would all agree that as one gets older, the concept of love is different when you are in your 30's, 50's and 70's.

I remember reading somewhere that Wallis did feel trapped but I need to get the book. I think it was the Secret Life of the Duchess of Windsor.

I think they both overplayed their hands in the abdication crisis, and probably didn't think that it would go very far IMO.

Last edited:
I was talking with someone about Bessie the other day and she compared her to the Anne Boleyn of our time... but here you are saying that he stayed in love with her for the rest of his life so I guess that statement doesn't apply to her now.
But don't forget, he (David) made that statement about "The Women He loved" which put Bessie Wallis in an awful position. She couldn't leave him now, could she? They couldn't leave each other. It wouldn't look right at all.

But don't forget, he (David) made that statement about "The Women He loved" which put Bessie Wallis in an awful position. She couldn't leave him now, could she? They couldn't leave each other. It wouldn't look right at all.

I believe that from the very second he decided to abdicate they were stuck together for ever. Bessiewallis didn´t want him to abdicate, I don´t think for one moment that she was thinking for "the sake of Britain" I think that she was enjoying herself as the mistress of the King and would have welcomed being the power behind the throne, and she would have been as she dominated him completely.
I think she had a nice little life planned for herself and it just didn´t work out, he was so obsessed he had to marry her and as soon as possible.
In their way I think they were happy, they had a lot in common, a mutual feeling of being badly and unfairly treated. He was obsessed with the idea he was poor, which of course he was far from being. She loved parties, entertaining and beautiful clothes and jewellery and he loved giving these things to her. He missed being the King, and she missed the influence she would have had if he had continued on the throne, but on the whole they enjoyed themselves, travelling and partying and leading what was a mainly very frivolous life to the full.

Wisteria.....I would concur.

Neither of them IMO thought it would go as far as it did (Abdication).

She was (for all appearances) content being the power behind the throne. I don't think anyone had ever told Edward No before. He just assumed (and really why wouldn't he other than history) he could marry her.

After the abdication they were stuck with each other. But I think they were content (enjoyed each other's company). They both thought they got a raw deal from the Establishment. But really, even though it was a harsh decision (many would and do consider it to have been petty and mean). There wasn't another way to handle it. No one and I mean NO ONE had ever had to deal with anything like this before.

For all anyone knew, they would have been married for five years MAX. They couldn't have stayed in England and established a competitive court. It would have been a disaster.

No I am afraid a Life outside of England was the only way for them to live.

Revealed: the Duke and Duchess of Windsor’s secret plot to deny the Queen the throne

Secret correspondence between the exiled Duke and Duchess of Windsor and their confidant Kenneth de Courcy has revealed a dastardly scheme to change the course of British history by denying Queen Elizabeth II the crown, says royal biographer Christopher Wilson.

The Telegraph.co.uk 22 November 2009

excerpts:

It was the spring of 1946. The Second World War had drawn to a close, King George VI’s health was starting to fail and, from their homes in Paris and the south of France, the exiled Duke and Duchess of Windsor were having deeply ambitious thoughts. More than 60 years ago, according to correspondence unearthed in a Californian library, the former King Edward VIII considered the idea of returning to Britain to become Regent, pushing aside his niece – now the Queen.

The natural successor, and heir apparent, was the then Princess Elizabeth. But in the spring of 1949, when the plot was at its height, she was just 23 and at the time there was a heavy bias against her taking the throne so young because she was perceived to be vulnerable to “the Mountbatten influence” – a reference to the combined forces of the dynastically ambitious Earl Mountbatten, and his nephew Prince Philip of Greece, now the Duke of Edinburgh, whom the Queen had married in 1947.

The Duke, who barely a decade before had sat atop the most powerful empire in the world, remained deeply ambitious for a return to public life, and to the adulation he felt was still his by right. What he was increasingly coming to suspect, however, was that the invitation might never come. The news of her brother-in-law’s failing health would not have troubled the Duchess greatly. Humbled and humiliated by George VI’s aloofness during the war, she and her husband were now riding out the early years of peacetime in limbo – waiting, in vain, to be invited home to Britain by the British Royal family.

In the 13 years since his abdication, the Duke had never ceased to complain that his country still needed him. The war had muddied the water, but now at last was the moment to strike back. His actions in buying an agricultural property near London would appear innocent enough – and if a constitutional crisis erupted within the Palace, well, he was there to help if needed.

By the time his brother died, the Duke of Windsor had already embarked on the fruitless journey which was to occupy the rest of his life, wafting from Paris to New York to Palm Beach in the company of rich, bored, vacuous people. But by then, the job of monarch was being done – admirably, capably, deftly, magnificently – by the woman who has done it ever since, Queen Elizabeth II. The nation had enjoyed a lucky escape.

:previous: It comes as no surprise to me. He did have a high opinion of himself. However he should have realised that there were plenty of people, including Elizabeth's own mother - the same woman who caused him so much grief, who were just as concerned to limit the Mountbatten influence.

Not the least of whom was Philip himself who was very determined that he wouldn't play the Prince Albert role and that immediately reduced and potential Mountbatten influence.

As more and more information about the Windsor come to light, its just not pretty. Mind you, there were a lot of people who didn't at right in the situation, but their negatives seem to outweigh those of the others.

What a totally selfish man! You couldn't do the job before, couldn't get an HRH for your wife, but you thought they (the royal family and the government) would just let you and the wife sail back into Britain, and establish regency. How delusional!

That article sounds interesting, and believeable. The fact that he believed that the BRF would invite him back to be King makes me chuckle. :p

Since I have become unemployed, I have renewed my interest in the early Windsors and purchased several books.

So far I have read, THe Duchess of Windsor: Her secret Life; The Woman He Loved; The Windsor Story; The Duchess of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Windsor, as well as Edward: The People's King. I am waiting my copy of Edward VIII by Frances Donaldson (I love Half.com) and based upon my readings, the Windsor were definitely angry at the British Royal Family. Some of it was justified in my opinion: the refusal to give Wallis an HRH title. Although I do understand why they didn't, they thought the marriage wouldn't last as long and once it showed signs of doing so, they couldn't go back and admit they were wrong.

Edward did want to go back to England and I can understand why...it was his homeland. The problem is that he didn't know how to act and to them he was like a loose cannon, who they couldn't control. If he had acted with a little bit of common sense and realized that he was no longer King and shown a little of deference it might have been different.

But it shows how out there he was. If King George VI died, the Duke of Gloucester woud have acted as Regent, that's one of the reasons he came back from Australia. Moreover, considering that the Windsor's were considered Nazi's supporters, there was no way the government was going to let him be the Regent. Simply delusional.

although there weren't many details, here's the story in a nutshell:

A lady from Ontario, Canada, that passed away several years ago, claims that she was married to the Duke of Windsor for a brief period. She also claims to have given birth to a child that he fathered during the marriage. The child was taken away and she never heard anything about it again and the marriage "disappeared". She always told people that she couldn't talk about it but after her death everything would be revealed. The night she died, her home was broken into and ALL of her personal papers were stolen and never found. Family members say that they have seen pictures of her with the Duke and that they also remember seeing correspondence from Buckingham Palace. The timing would be right as the Duke had a ranch in Canada at the time. None of this has ever been proven...or disproven.
This story has been circulating for years . I wish there was a way we could prove or disprove the thing.

:previous::previous::previous:

Now Jaya.....if we could approve or disprove the theory.....where's the fun in that:whistling: This story reminds me of the man who swears he is the child of Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend.

The Duke of Windsor could have 'married' as many women as he liked while Prince of Wales but it wouldn't have been a legal marriage without the consent of the King (George V) or the consent of the parliament with a years notification (or more correctly without the objection of either House of Parliament) once he turned 25. As a result any child would be illegitimate and would receive no official position.

I thank her for taking him away and allowing a man who knew what it meant to be royal - duty before self - to become a wonderful king and then allowing us to have the marvellous queen that we have had for nearly 60 years.
Amen to that! the way I see it she did us a favour.
Its hard to get an objective book on the Windsors.
very true, both books I've read so far seems to be pro duke and duchess..but I think I'll check out half.com and read more books on them.
Between the Church's concerns and the government's desires to get rid of him Wallis and her divorces was an opportunity that was grabbed with both hands and it was presented to the public as a reason to get rid of him. The various governments of the empire that also had to be consulted also weren't keen on Edward as King or Wallis as a future Queen and went along with the divorce situation as an excuse.
I agree Iuvbertie, also they(edward and wallis)gave the government more of an excuse by being nazi sympathisers..
Bessiewallis didn´t want him to abdicate, I don´t think for one moment that she was thinking for "the sake of Britain" I think that she was enjoying herself as the mistress of the King and would have welcomed being the power behind the throne, and she would have been as she dominated him completely.
I think she had a nice little life planned for herself and it just didn´t work out, he was so obsessed he had to marry her and as soon as possible.
agreed.
She was (for all appearances) content being the power behind the throne. I don't think anyone had ever told Edward No before. He just assumed (and really why wouldn't he other than history) he could marry her.After the abdication they were stuck with each other. But I think they were content (enjoyed each other's company). They both thought they got a raw deal from the Establishment. But really, even though it was a harsh decision (many would and do consider it to have been petty and mean). There wasn't another way to handle it. No one and I mean NO ONE had ever had to deal with anything like this before.
yup I think Edward made a rash decidion to give it all up, but it seems as though he never got over the fact that he was no longer King i.e. the open political stance, wanting to "go back" to England and "help" his brother George..it's sad that he was so nieve.
...Moreover, considering that the Windsor's were considered Nazi's supporters, there was no way the government was going to let him be theRegent.Simply delusional.
I agree with you on that last sentence..I must order those.they sound like some good reading.
The Duke of Windsor could have 'married' as many women as he liked while Prince of Wales but it wouldn't have been a legal marriage...
very true iluvbertie.. I enjoy all of your posts this thread has been an interesting read.

Back
Top Bottom