Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The whole thing reminds me of that Law & Order episode from years ago in which it turns out that a woman married her stalker. Wallis was playing a dangerous game and got into a relationship with a man she really didn't understand, just because she liked the high-life of being the Prince of Wales'/King's mistress. Had she known in advance how needy he was, perhaps she would have aimed for a wealthy duke.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Mermaid...that is one of my favorite Law and Order episodes.

Yes...Wallis definitely bit off more than she could chew. Its a shame that we have never heard her story. She had so few intimate friends, who knew how she really felt. She was close to Aunt Bessie, and a couple of cousins but they have never shared their secrets.

I guess the letters will have to tell a part of her story.

Add me to the list of being a very avid L&O fan too and I remember that particular episode very very well.

All in all, Wallis Simpson, for better or worse has to be one of the biggest enigmas of 20th century British royal history. Its just sad that at the end of her life that she was so very much alone. That fact in itself shows that no matter how popular she was, she never made very many close, intimate friends.

What did Angie Harmon say imagine finding out you married your stalker! I think the lady filed for divorce the same day he was convicted of killing her first husband.

So true...I believe she was close to Mary but than she had that affair with Ernest, married him and than died during/or shortly after the war. She burned that bridge with Thelma but I don't think they were really friends more like associates. I would probably put Diana Mosley and others in this category. They were friendly but I don't know if they were friendly enough for Wallis to share her secrets and/or thoughts.. Katherine Rogers died in the 50's. She was close to a cousin (Cornelia or something) and than they kind of drifted off during the 50's. I don't believe she attended Aunt Bessie's funeral. Can't remember the reason why not.

I believe she and the Duke had each other but not true friends. For my purposes I consider a true friend to be someone I haven't spoken with in a while, and when we talk its like the last time we spoke was yesterday. They know all (or part) of my secrets and I know theirs. And if something happened to me (and to them) we would drop everything in a second to be there for the other. Not sure if David and Wallis had anyone like that but each other.

Last edited:
Well, the few friends or close aquaintances they did have like CZ Guest or Aline Romanones were kept at bay by Maitre Blum. Unfortunately for the Duchess no one, not even the long time staff members, felt they had the right to challenge Maitre Blum.
Her end wasnt much different from that of Brooke Astor, except the Mrs Astor was fortunate enough to have a grandson who challenged his fathers care of her and friends like Mrs De La Renta to come to the rescue in the fight to protect her. Sometimes your loved ones can be as bad as greedy outsiders when it comes to caring for wealthy seniors.

:previous:Brooke Astor's family probably remembered what happened to Wallis and Barbara Hutton and determined that that was not going to happen to Brooke.

It sounds almost as if it is a medieval arranged marriage, in which the powerful prince obtains his bride. I had no idea Edward could possibly be considered a stalker. Which particular book might give me the run down on that hypothesis? How is he a potential/sort of stalker?

It sounds almost as if it is a medieval arranged marriage, in which the powerful prince obtains his bride. I had no idea Edward could possibly be considered a stalker. Which particular book might give me the run down on that hypothesis? How is he a potential/sort of stalker?

If Edward is to be considered a stalker then Wallis was certainly willingly stalked....striving at first to be part of his social circle, accepting the Kings gifts of jewels, vacationing on a Mediterranean cruise, staying as his companion first at Fort Belvedere and then at Balmoral when he became monarch, and of course sharing his bed, all apparently with the acquiesence of her husband We must be careful not to attempt to re-write history......she was his mistress and ultimately his wife. I think the affair was something she wanted and very much enjoyed, but that she did not understand that the king reigned but did not rule and would have to abdicate to make her his wife. If she really wanted out she waited to long leave. Indeed it wasnt until things turned nasty in England that she offered to leave his life. Events went beyond what she could possibly have imagined. She was reviled in the UK and the Empire because of the abdication but had she run away and not married him after all that he had sacrificed there would have been no where she could run to and been welcomed.
She was the controlling figure in the relationship, married to a man who was besotted with her, and probably made the best of it for the rest of their life together. Both were I think pretty shallow people who lived very selfish and worthless lives until the end.

Last edited:
I have been intrigued to see, over a period of time, Wallis reduced from a strong willed woman in charge of her own destiny, to this pathetic victim trapped by an obsessive lover turned stalker!

It has been quite frequently quoted, on this very thread, how David did not even notice her when they were first introduced. He had a lover with whom he was perfectly happy. Wallis, being the strong-willed woman she was, set out to change that, to capture his interest, and during the absence of his current lover, succeeded in supplanting her in his affections, a situation that she created and that worked far beyond her wildest dreams.

She was not beautiful but she was interesting, perhaps even charismatic. Regardless, she captured his interest, then his love and the pathetic dog-like devotion that followed.

I am of a mind to believe that Wallis was a woman that got what she wanted, when she wanted, and at any cost. Having married a decent man who loved her, she proceeded to cuckold him with her lovers and he, loving her, did not make a fuss. But when the ultimate indiscretion of her affair with the King became public, it made his situation untenable as he became the subject of public humiliation and ridicule. Yet even in that he allowed himself to be the "sinner".

Her sad and remorseful letters about her sorrow at Ernest forcing a divorce, feeling betrayed at his falling in love and then remarrying with almost indecent haste, how she still loved him and regretted the divorce. How, even now, married to David, she still loved Ernest best, wished things were different, etc. ad nauseum, speak more to her narcissism than her love.

Of course she still loved Ernest, because ultimately, he was the one that got away. Let's get real here. Men did not leave Wallis. She left them! But the fact that Ernest had the audacity to not only leave her, but to fall in love with someone she had used to divert his interest while she carried on her affair with David stung. Worse, he divorced her, and like many a narcissist before her, she decided she didn't want to be divorced, she still loved her husband. She wanted what she couldn't have. What she, in fact, had destroyed irrevocably.

But worse was in store as the King she had pursued with passion, whom she had reduced to her doting lapdog, no longer had that vitally essential and irresistible aphrodisiac, "Power". All that remained was the tedious and obsessive lapdog she had created, interminably yapping at her heels. Her only pastime? Making him fetch! Baubles. What a bore!

No home, no friends, no life. They sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind. How sad!

Lesson: Be careful what you wish for . . . . you may actually get it and it may be not quite what you thought! :D

so did Wallis repeatedly try to get away from Edward, in one way or another? I thought they spent all their time together (maybe that's the point - she was completely unable to get away from him at all?)

:previous: She could have left for the US from France before the abdication but, what did she have to go to. Her husband was already organising their divorce and she was not wealthy, rich or even comfortable.

So, home, poor and middle aged or, France, an HRH and wealth? No brainier!

Besides, she didn't know that the abdication would not only strip him of his Throne but also of that great aphrodisiac, Power!

Wallis knew the abdication would prevent him from being King. She worked to keep him from abdicating but he was going forward with it no matter what.

She was not beautiful but she was interesting, perhaps even charismatic. Regardless, she captured his interest, then his love and the pathetic dog-like devotion that followed.

I am of a mind to believe that Wallis(Sarah) was a woman that got what she wanted, when she wanted, and at any cost. Having married a decent man who loved her, she proceeded to cuckold him with her lovers and he, loving her, did not make a fuss. But when the ultimate indiscretion of her affair with the King/Wyatt & Bryant became public, it made his situation untenable as he became the subject of public humiliation and ridicule.

Worse, he divorced her, and like many a narcissist before her, she decided she didn't want to be divorced, she still loved her husband. She wanted what she couldn't have. What she, in fact, had destroyed irrevocably.

Lesson: Be careful what you wish for . . . . you may actually get it and it may be not quite what you thought! :D

Marge.....incredible analysis. Just bolding & italicizing the parts that I think are applicable to a former Royal and her current Royal husband. Who, I must say, I have long felt should have been given the style of Duchess of Windsor after her divorce rather than Duchess of York. An idea that I will be promoting more in coming days.

Not so much that he was a stalker, but that he was obsessed about Wallis and she got into the situation not knowing how dangerous it was for her. That's why I compared Wallis's situation to the character on Law & Order. The woman had no idea what her second husband was really like, as Wallis didn't know how immature and needy Edward was.

I had no idea Edward could possibly be considered a stalker. Which particular book might give me the run down on that hypothesis? How is he a potential/sort of stalker?

Marge.....incredible analysis. Just bolding & italicizing the parts that I think are applicable to a former Royal and her current Royal husband. Who, I must say, I have long felt should have been given the style of Duchess of Windsor after her divorce rather than Duchess of York. An idea that I will be promoting more in coming days.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there's no way that anyone else besides the wife (or ex wife) of a Duke of Windsor could ever hold the title or style Duchess of Windsor. Wallis was the DoW because she married the Duke of Windsor. Andrew is not and probably will never be the Duke of Windsor.

Poor Wallis! It seems that the whole idea was simply to have a fling with Edward and for her and her good-looking manly husband Ernest to gain whatever benefits they could from such an association. They assumed that Edward would get tired of her and find another woman, but it all went horribly wrong! Edward became infatuated with her to the point of almost literally being unable to function without her. Ernest got fed up with it and started seeing Wallis's friend (whom he eventually married) and Wallis was stuck with a weak, useless, simpering lapdog and millions of pounds worth of jewellery! What to do? Dump him and run like crazy with the threat of him killing himself if she ever left him? I do feel for her now I know the full story because everything got out of control.

Poor Wallis! . . . . . . . I do feel for her now I know the full story because everything got out of control.
Poor Wallis nothing! The full story is sleazy, cheap and amoral. She chose to have affairs, Ernest choose to let her advance his status.

When you play with people's emotions you get into dangerous waters. Wallis loved Society Life and the Prince of Wales gave it to her, and some! Everything that happened happened as a direct result of choices. Selfish, venal, greedy choices, and there is nothing to pity about.

So she bit off more than she could chew. Her choice. Nobody made her prostitute herself for social advantage, or political gain, she chose to pursue the Prince of Wales with a view to becoming his Mistress and, if the general writings on this board and various "biographies" are to be believed, she planned on being his Mistress after he wed.

Let's not kid ourselves, she knew that the power she had over the King of England, so did the courtiers, the Royal Family and the Prime Minister. It must have filled them with dread that she held him in such thrall that some say he even threatened to kill himself if she left him. Yet she saw her future as the power behind the throne, albeit an independent woman. What a rude and appalling shock that he insisted on "marrying the woman he loved".

Sorry to burst the bubble but there's no way that anyone else besides the wife (or ex wife) of a Duke of Windsor could ever hold the title or style Duchess of Windsor. Wallis was the DoW because she married the Duke of Windsor. Andrew is not and probably will never be the Duke of Windsor.

Oh, I know, Osipi...I know. I was thinking more that Sarah would have to trade D of Y for D of W, than Andrew being D o W. Basically, it's a title in abeyance at this time, and HM could bestow it on anyone, male or female.

Absolutely, yes. It was, as you say, a sleazy situation. I can't say that I have any sympathy for Wallis, even though her situation got out of her control. I think that her story is epic in a way, given her origins and the way she died; but she's certainly not a woman to emulate.

The fact that she is in a long line of royal mistresses whom she seemed to emulate must hold no stance in this bash Wallis fest on this board.

I also find it laughable that Wallis and Ernest are badmouthed in here for doing what the British upper class does as a whole; lays down their wives for their King. The entire society has this idea that throwing your morals out the window for the pleasure of the king is a good thing; its been around for centuries. But Wallis and Ernest do it and somehow it is a sleazy amoral thing.
Whether Wallis was pressured into marrying Edward or not, she seemed to be happy with him and was devastated when he died. But I suppose the theory there is that it was all an act.

Not questioning the morality of it at all. Many men through history have layed down their wife for their King. The difference of course would be those men and women knew the rules of the game. Where Wallis played with fire was being believing Edward could make her Queen or allowing Edward to believe he could make her Queen. I would bet an English woman would not have allowed it to get that far because they would have known the rules and understood Church and Government stood in the way and let him know it. There were worse roles in life than being the acknowledged mistress of the British monarch (Mrs Keppel being an example).
I suspect Edward was happy and Wallis likely was quite content over 35 years of marriage. She at least took pleasure in the gowns, the jewels, appearing on best dressed lists, being hosted by cafe society in France and the US, and being part of the great love story of the 20th century. Not bad for a poor relation, less than beautiful, twice divorced woman from Baltimore.

Galitzine Wallis never wanted to be queen and she tried to prevent David from abdicating. This idea that she wanted to be Queen is a falsehood spread by people who believe she is the boogeyman who "stole their precious king".
Wallis was content in being the king's mistress and had no will to be his wife.
Plus there have been a few mistresses throughout history who were English and didn't play by the rules; perhaps you have forgotten about Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, and Elizabeth Woodville.

Galitzine Wallis never wanted to be queen and she tried to prevent David from abdicating.
Perhaps but she waited too long, and I am not entirely sure she did not believe the fairy tale that she could marry and be Queen. It was a pretty dazling prize to dangle in front of any woman, especially one of her background. A well brought up English woman in 1935/1936 would have stopped Edward as soon as the topic was first discussed and if he persisted have broken off the relationship and returned to her husband.

Perhaps the point is being missed here that it was precisely because Wallis was unaware/unheeding of a code of behaviour which, as an American, would not have applied to her, anyway, that the affair was able to gather momentum. David was able to "bend" the truth with Wallis in a way that would have been impossible with an English woman who would have had an innate understanding of rules concerning "games" that involved royalty. What would have been the point of anybody telling her about these rules? She only had to check the information with David who, undoubtedly, would have dismissed it. I believe it would have been easy for him to convince her that as PoW/King he was ALLpowerful-who was there to tell her otherwise? There were no books on the subject. These unspoken, unwritten rules are passed silently down through generations of those it concerns-Wallis was not of their number.

I also find it laughable that Wallis and Ernest are badmouthed in here for doing what the British upper class does as a whole; lays down their wives for their King. The entire society has this idea that throwing your morals out the window for the pleasure of the king is a good thing; its been around for centuries. But Wallis and Ernest do it and somehow it is a sleazy immoral thing.
I do tend to agree here. Kings and Princes have always had mistresses and everyone knew this. Yet it has always been accepted because they are royalty. People like Lilly langtry and Wallis Simpson were famous for being a "good lay". Now in this day and age everyone wants to be shocked about the way Wallis behaved.

The Wallis and Ernest story was sleaze however, royalty does seem to accept sleaze when it really suits them.

Last edited:
I feel that the major difference here is that-with the exclusion of Wallis-the afore mentioned women, and with them can be included ALL Edward VIIs mistresses as well as Camilla's great grandma, all knew the rule. I feel certain that a possible marriage with the king was A, on their part, never thought and B, on Edward's part, never mentioned. Thus, the game was played out, as it always had been, with the players understanding where they fitted. It was David who broke this rule by making Wallis believe it was possible for him to make her a queen. I still believe it to have been coersion on his part because even if she was not in love with him, it must surely have been a huge temptation, Cinderella in real life.

I have come to believe that the situation for both Wallis Simpson and Edward got out of hand.

When the relationship started he was the POW and was involved and had been involved with safe married women, they didn't put any demands on him but satisfied his needs. Met Wallis, she didn't understand the British upper class and she got caught up in the pomp and ceremony. Suddenly though, he becomes King and everything changes, he doesn't have the freedom he had before and their would have been some pressure to provide an heir. Wallis in the meantime stills thinks this fun and believes that her marriage to Ernest Simpson will protect her from any unwanted demands by Edward, then it all just unravels before them - divorce, talk of marriage, constitutional crisis, American press following the story, so Wallis runs to France, then Edward abdicates and follows her.

I think that if he Edward hadn't had to assume the throne, that the relationship would have run its natural course, but in the end all they had was each other and they made the most of it

The introduction of irrelevant comments re Charles and Camilla into the Edward and Wallis relationship discussion - including a quote by Adolf Hitler now somewhat unsubtly referenced to the Duchess of Cornwall (!!) - have been and will continue to be removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Perhaps but she waited too long, and I am not entirely sure she did not believe the fairy tale that she could marry and be Queen. It was a pretty dazling prize to dangle in front of any woman, especially one of her background. A well brought up English woman in 1935/1936 would have stopped Edward as soon as the topic was first discussed and if he persisted have broken off the relationship and returned to her husband.

This is one of the reasons I hate having to debate this event; the non-stop Wallis was American so she is too blame for everything and a "proper English girl" would have known better and not been so uppity.
Wallis could not return to her husband because he wanted to marry another woman. According to some it was Ernest who knew that David wanted to marry Wallis and not Wallis herself. As I have stated numerous times she tried to talk him out of abdicating and even worked with government officials to try and prevent it. Wallis did not want to be queen nor did she think she ever could be. But I suppose that the truth gets lost in the "blame the American" rant.

Spartamum you bring up some good points. I tend to think it had to have spiraled out of control for Wallis more than the two men. David seemed to be the driving force who wanted what he wanted and was going to get it no matter what. Ernest wanted out of the marriage so he could marry someone else which probably blind sided Wallis because she thought everyone was content in the situation. Unfortunately for all of Wallis' sophistication and worldliness, it appears her future was decided men and not her.

Back
Top Bottom