Your Favourite Historical British Royal?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Di- She was warm, loving,witty, open, went against the grain, and showed compassion to everyone she met. Wish ! could have met her!

Who are your favourite members of British Royal Family?

All of them seem nice,but I especially like and fo;;ow the news about Princes William and Harry,Princess-soon-to-be Kate Middleton,Princess Michael of Kent and Earl of Sain-Andrews and Viscount Linley,as I know just a few things about the last ones.

Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria

Current- Viscountess Linley and Princess to be Catherine Middleton

Must be Princess Diana, warm, loving, open. When she died my interest in BRF died too.

Mine would be Princess Diana, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth is very favorite. Always admired her.

I used to admire Princess Alexandra of Kent for her stylishness and for her fundraising but then her daughter Marina showed the world that Alexandra had not been such a great mother.

Probably Diana Princess of Wales but Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria are close contenders!

I'll say Diana, a pretty amazing body.

Princess Diana if wales I just loved everything about her classy,social,elegant
Good hearted(tending to the poor) it seemed like a mistake to have married Charles who was much older than her

Queen Victoria also because mostly her family her interesting grandchildren and great grandchildren and because of the young Victoria movie

Queen Elizabeth I, because she was able to hold her own at the time when women didn't have a chance to exhibit their intellect and ability. She outshone any male monarch of that time.

Queen Elizabeth II, for her dedication to her role and her family. I will be happy if I have her energy level at my current age, never mind at the age of eighty-five.

Queen Elizabeth II--long life to Her Majesty. What an example of class and duty. I only wish I would be so good when I reach her age!!

Queen Elizabeth II for her enduring dedication to her "job" and her class, I hope she reigns for many more years.

Princess Anne for her dry wit.

I would like to add Camilla, because she asumed royal duties at an age where other people think about retiring. She was not prepared for a public life from her upbringing or her adult life to that point. And she couldn't be sure how people would react when she met them, because of her past with the POW. I really admire her for how she adapted - and whenever I see pictures from visits or charity events it's like she does it with a smile ONLY because she really loves Charles, there is no other reason. It's really remarkable. Of course JIMHO. :)

I would have to say Queen Elizabeth.

If you had asked me 15 years ago, my answers would have been slightly different, but now I would say:

The Queen Mother. I do miss her, she was actually an amazing combination of being royal and down to earth. My favourite story of her is when she called in for a drink on one of her engagements where she had been expected, and when offered a drink accepted [which was a surprise!] and then asked for a pint of beer!

The Duke of Edinburgh - I never actually disliked him of course, but now am starting to feel very fond of him. There is something quite touching, in my humble opinion, about a man who still contrives to be as active as possible in supporting his wife and his country. He's nearly 90, for goodness' sake! I had the honour one Friday in February of going to a reception he was hosting at Windsor Castle. A huge treat and a joy and a privilege for me, and as watched him 'circulate' - there was a good few of us there, he was punctilious about circulating and seeing everyone, had a kind word and a bit of interesting conversation with everyone, quipped that the canapes 'were rather good weren't they [which I think was a merry jest at me, because I had just accepted something to eat when suddenly the Duke appeared very quickly and there was I with something-delicious-on-a-little-stick ...... and [canape ‘protocolian’ disasters aside] all the time I was thinking,' it's Friday evening, it's dark and wintery outside, the Queen's upstairs, and she's probably relaxing in front of the tv after a week in London, and here we are downstairs keeping her husband away from her...

The Queen herself - something touching about having a monarch who is still undertaking quite vigorous duties at an age when a lot of her contemporaries are not around anymore.... She's 85, and yes, I know she has the advantage of a huge staff and the advantageous that money can buy, but every day, even if she is not actually out on an engagement, she is involved in her office, going through her red boxes of business...

The Duchess of Kent was a huge favourite of mine when she was carrying out duties. At Royal Ascot each year when she was walking in the paddock, she always used to say to everyone individually who she met ' SO good to see you'.. It was so friendly, and so appropriate, although it doesn't look much in print.

Alex

Currently it would be the Queen, Charles, William, Anne.

In the past: Elizabeth I, Henry II, Richard II, George VI.

the queen mum & george VI,
the queen
prince philip
princess anne
prince harry

and camilla, if not for the sheer courage she had in going publich with charles when everybody was holding her responsible for d' tragedy

QE II and The Duke of Edinburgh:

Just today I watched a YOUTUBE of the 2003 anniversary of the coronation at Westminster Abbey (I was interested in the processional music). I couldn't get over Pr. Philip's expression and the manner in which he made eye contact with people with a dignified half smile as he processed with the queen down the long aisle of the Abbey. The queen was her usual dignified self.

Even today at almost 85 and almost 90, they get up in the morning, put on their best bib and tucker and go out and represent the nation and the monarchy when many much younger folks merely complain about their aches and pains. We'll not see their like again!

Henry V

Henry V must have been an astoundingly intelligent man. He was a bold military officer in his teens, an accomplished martial strategist, and kept a firm, informed hand on the fiscal state of his kingdom; all while maintaining loyal relationships with his brothers.

A good read: Agincourt by Juliet Barker.

The Elizabeths. Both queens treated/treat the office as it should be treated.

Victoria: never waivered, full steam ahead, skilled diplomat, and an adored granny.

Henry V must have been an astoundingly intelligent man. He was a bold military officer in his teens, an accomplished martial strategist, and kept a firm, informed hand on the fiscal state of his kingdom; all while maintaining loyal relationships with his brothers.
True, but he made such a foolish marriage! Must take away points for that.

Mirabel said:
True, but he made such a foolish marriage! Must take away points for that.

Oh, please tell me more info- why was Catherine of Valois so bad? If not for her there would have been no Henry VIII and no Elizabeth I yes?

Last edited:
Must be Princess Diana, warm, loving, open. When she died my interest in BRF died too.

My thoughts and story, exactly. When she died, the BRF lost a shining star and me as an admirer. If it wasn't William getting married, I wouldn't even be here. LOL.

For me: HM, Charles, Camilla, DoE

1.Victoria

2.Prince Albert

3.Queen Mother

4.Diana

Last edited:
@I love CP - we have almost identical lists
Mine are:
1. Diana
2. Prince Albert- what a wonderful man! Have you seen Edward the King? Isn't Robert Hardy( my favorite actor ever wonderful as Prince Albert?
3. Victoria- Fascinating complex lady!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, please tell me more info- why was Catherine of Valois so bad? If not for her there would have been no Henry VIII and no Elizabeth I yes?

But she brought a strain of insanity into the RF, (Henry VI ), which they didn't breed out for years!

Plus, she took up with Owen Tudor and brought about the Tudor line (let's face it, Henry VIII wasn't exactly an ideal king).

As for Elizabeth I, she was a magnificent queen but even Henry wondered if she was legitimate.

Mirabel said:
As for Elizabeth I, she was a magnificent queen but even Henry wondered if she was legitimate.

Elizabeth I looks just like her father....lol there is no historical evidence to prove otherwise- he doubted that as a way to remarry and get a male heir.....too funny

Back
Top Bottom