Which Historical Decade Had The Most Monarchies?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishRoyalist

Courtier
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
I have been wondering about this for awhile and I can not really find a answer anywhere but at what point in History was there the Most Monarchies in the World?

In the world I am not sure, but until about 1917 only France, Switzerland, San Marino and Portugal were republics in Europe, every other nation was a monarchy (and Germany had all those princely states). With the exception of the US and Latin America I think most other nations had some form of a monarchy.

Last edited:
Go back pre-Napoleon and there were over 300 German states and all the Italian states pre-unification existed as well. At that time Portugal was still a monarchy and even back into the mid-1700s all of Europe, except Switzerland - but some of the eastern countries which later had monarchies were under the Ottomans so no monarchy of their own but there were also the numerous Indian states with their own monarchy as well at that time and America was also still a monarchy.

Go back pre-Napoleon and there were over 300 German states and all the Italian states pre-unification existed as well. At that time Portugal was still a monarchy and even back into the mid-1700s all of Europe, except Switzerland - but some of the eastern countries which later had monarchies were under the Ottomans so no monarchy of their own but there were also the numerous Indian states with their own monarchy as well at that time and America was also still a monarchy.
I agree, and Asia had lots of monarchies, Kingdoms and Empires. I think that time was the time with the most monarchies in the world.
Continent wise, the America continents are the ones with the least number of monarchies, mostly colonies, etc...

Last edited:
I can't find a thread for historical kingdoms BC, if a Mod remembers one location please move this interesting article over there. Thanks!

If the page defaults to Spanish, mouse over it and right click to select Translate to English
Article by Koldo Salazar - February 2023
The Tartessos or the kingdom that could have dominated the Western Mediterranean

Urban civilization emerged with the end of the Atlantic Late Bronze (1250-850 BC), a turbulent period in which the economic, social and political system of the entire eastern Mediterranean collapsed...

.The archaeological evidence makes it clear that there was an urban and complex civilization, with a war-commercial aristocracy, a legal system and a monarchy that traded and whose products reached the East but apart from this there is no literature of any kind, nor chronicles, epic, administrative texts ...

Last edited:
First monarchies in the world.

I have been wondering about this for awhile and I can not really find a answer anywhere but at what point in History was there the Most Monarchies in the World?

The first monarchy was Akkadian Empire (2250 - 2230 BC).

First monarchies in the world.

The first monarchies began in the Middle East in the 4th Millennium BC when the first city-states emerged, ruled by warrior-priest, then warrior-kings, they soon stretched along the river Euphrates by around 3oooBC.The south was chiefly Sumerian and the north Akkadian, for almost 1000 years, the rulers of these two areas jostled for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom