The Real Names Of The Royal Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn´t the british rf named Battenberg (Philip?) at first but changed it to Mountbatten to make it sound more british?

Yes, Moutbatten is a translation made of Battenberg by part of the family to sound minus german (was in the Hitler Age).

It was before: Philip's grandfather changed his surname Battenberg into Mountbatten during the First World War.

Prior to 1917 the British Royal House was that of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (from where Prince Albert, spouse of Queen Victoria, hailed). In 1917, after WWI, the house name was changed to Windsor from the Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha due to anti-German sentiment. Windsor was chosen because the ancient castle was seen as a British bastion, etc. , and thus what name could be more British than that?

At the same time, all German Princelings living in Britain were required to give up their German titles and names. Thus the line of Prince Louis (father of Earl Mountbatten of Burma) and Princess Victoria of Battenberg (a junior line of a morganatic branch of the House of Hesse) changed their family name to Mountbatten ('Mount Batten' being the English translation of Battenberg). He turned in his princely title for that of Marquis of Milford Haven.

This change in title had no bearing on their daughter, Princess Alice (mother of Prince Philip), as she had married Prince Andrew of Greece long before WW I, while she was still a Princess of Battenberg. However, her son, prior to his marriage, took British nationality (something he actually already had as a descendant of the Electress Sophia) took the name of Philip Mountbatten (his mother's family's name at the time), for political reasons.

The British royal house has never actually been the House of Mountbatten because when women succeed they continue to rule under their own family name (eg. Queen Victoria was a Hanover and not a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha). House names rarely change (eg. Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, etc.), although last names might. In the 1960s it was decreed that QE II's and Prince Philip's descendants (in the male line) would be known as Mountbatten-Windsor. Still, I suspect that if and when Charles succeeds the House name itself will remain Windsor.

Hope that all makes sense.

I saw once at the belgian news that they were gonna introduce a new identity card and they used King Albert of Belgium (of course) as an example. It said that is last name was of belgium (van België). Also in a magazine, they wrote ten things that people don't often know about crown prince Philip of Belgium. Like that is surname or last name isn't Saxe Coburg Gotha like many people think but that is full name Philip of belgium is (Philip van Belgïe). I hope this makes any sense.

Solange said:
I saw once at the belgian news that they were gonna introduce a new identity card and they used King Albert of Belgium (of course) as an example. It said that is last name was of belgium (van België). Also in a magazine, they wrote ten things that people don't often know about crown prince Philip of Belgium. Like that is surname or last name isn't Saxe Coburg Gotha like many people think but that is full name Philip of belgium is (Philip van Belgïe). I hope this makes any sense.
Hi Solange! :)

Yes, they're claiming that the RF doesn't have a last name. Other royal families who hailed from elsewhere (eg the Greeks) also were simply known as 'of X'. However, they are known as the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (which is different from a last name).

I presume they also discussed how Albert isn't actually the King of Belgium, but rather is the King of the Belgians. Anyway, it must have been an interesting show!

Last edited:
One thing: is King Constantine, King of Greece or like Albert, King of the Hellenes

ally_cooper said:
One thing: is King Constantine, King of Greece or like Albert, King of the Hellenes
When there was a monarchy the King was officially King of the Hellenes, but commonly referred to as the King of Greece.

The British royal family's surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, although Windsor was the name chosen by George V after the first world war when relations between Britain and Germany were at a low point, Mountbatten was added because it is the chosen surname of Prince Phillip.

The last name of the British royal family was formely Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - from Prince Albert (QV's hubby).

Although, Prince Phillip's surname was that of the Danish Royals, being half Danish himself, and this was Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Mountbatten (formerly Battenberg) was actually the surname given to Lord Louis, first sea lord, by George V following world war 1, in which Phillip adopted after his move to Britain.

The Swedish royal family is from the Royal House of Bernadotte, and Princess Madeleine actually uses the name Madeleine Bernadotte when she's at school.

Royal Families of Denmark and Greece still do not have last names till this day.

What's the surname of the Jordanian Royal Family

Possible surnames

Reina said:
What's the surname of the Jordanian Royal Family

The best I can come up with is Al-Hashimi.

I couldn't find anything which specifically states the family surname, just the "family name" above.

The House name is Hashemi or Hashimi; the Dynasty's name is Hashemite.

And then there is Banu Hashim, or "clan of Hashim".

Take your pick, or maybe 'none of the above'.

More...

ghostly11 said:
Apparently it's Al-Hashemi al-Kuraishi, at least according to this post by Veram98 (#73 on the page):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=165834#post165834

Well-researched ghostly11!

I found this...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hashemite traditionally refers to those belonging to the Banu Hashim, or clan of Hashim, a clan within the larger Quraish tribe. The Hashemites trace their ancestry from Hashim (died c 510CE), the great-grandfather of the Prophet.

Hayli Connor said:
The British royal family's surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, although Windsor was the name chosen by George V after the first world war when relations between Britain and Germany were at a low point, Mountbatten was added because it is the chosen surname of Prince Phillip.

The last name of the British royal family was formely Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - from Prince Albert (QV's hubby).

Although, Prince Phillip's surname was that of the Danish Royals, being half Danish himself, and this was Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Mountbatten (formerly Battenberg) was actually the surname given to Lord Louis, first sea lord, by George V following world war 1, in which Phillip adopted after his move to Britain.

The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and their familes would not be Mountbatten-Windsors, though.

agisele said:
Royal Families of Denmark and Greece still do not have last names till this day.

That is not the truth because when King Christian 9. became king of Denmark the monarchy her in Denmark got a new lastname and it is Glücksborg.
The first lastename the monarchy of Denmark was oldenborg.
I know that the Royal family of Greece also has a lastname and one of them are also Glücksborg.

norwegianne said:
And then you have the story of then Crown Prince Olav of Norway and his trip to Sweden to get engaged to Märtha. The papers were absolutely certain that he was travelling with a false passport, since none of them had found him out... But he had a correct one with the name: Olav Haakonsen... ie. Olav son of Haakon. :lol:

Didn't Prince Frederick of Denmark when he went to Harvard he was enroled under the name Frederick Henrikson (Son of Henrik)?

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, once again, is not a house name. It's the name of a territory. The house name is Wettin.

Here is an earlier post by me:

Charles said:
Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha never has been and never was a surname. It is a territory. All the Saxonies were ruled by various members of the house of Wettin. Royals do not have "family names" or surnames unless so specifically decreed. They do have house names. Here are the agnatic names for the royal families, so you can see which families have expanded over various territories:

Albania - Zogu
Austria-Hungary & Bohemia - Habsburg-Lothringen
Belgium - Wettin
Brazil - Bourbon (Orléans-Bragançe line)
Bulgaria - Wettin
Denmark - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg branch, ends with The Queen) followed by Laborde-Montpezat
France (Imperial) - Bonaparte
France (Royal) - Bourbon (feuding branches)
Germany - Hohenzollern
Great Britain & Northern Ireland - Wettin (ends with The Queen, Windsor by decree) followed by Oldenburg (S-H-S-G line, Mountbatten by decree)
Greece - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg branch)
Italy - Savoy (feuding branches)
Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein
Luxembourg - Bourbon (Nassau-Weilburg by decree)
Monaco - Polignac (Grimaldi through a few female lines)
Montenegro - Petrovic-Njegos
The Netherlands - Lippe (Orange-Nassau by decree) followed by Amsberg
Norway - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg branch)
Portugal - Bragançe
Roumania - Hohenzollern (-Sigmaringen) (ends with the current King, apparently)
Russia - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov branch, ends with Maria Vladimirovna) followed by Hohenzollern
Serbia - Karageorgevich
Sweden - Bernadotte
Spain - Bourbon

The Bourbons had a wide expance, with territories that also included the Sicilies, Naples, Parma, etc. Wettin had all the Saxon duchies, the Saxon grand duchy and the Saxon kingdom. Oldenburg's reign was also vast and far flung. Habsburg-Lothringen also held Tuscany and various other tracts of territory.

Interesting enough, technically, the Royal Families of Greece and Norway are also members of the Royal Family of Denmark specifically. Both are descended from Danish kings in the male line and are entitled to Danish princely titles.

Sean.~ said:
Hi Solange! :)

Yes, they're claiming that the RF doesn't have a last name. Other royal families who hailed from elsewhere (eg the Greeks) also were simply known as 'of X'. However, they are known as the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (which is different from a last name).

I presume they also discussed how Albert isn't actually the King of Belgium, but rather is the King of the Belgians. Anyway, it must have been an interesting show!

Yes , because here in Belgium we say Koning der Belgen ( King of the belgians ) and not King of Belgium ( Koning van Belgie)

In the Netherlands they say Koningin van (of der) NEDERLAND(en)
( Queen of the Netherlands) and not koningin van de NEDERLANDERS

But tell me if I'm wrong:eek:

from the website www.kongehuset.dk

Having existed for more than 1000 years, the Danish Monarchy is one of the oldest in the world. The two large houses of the Danish Monarchy are the House of Oldenborg and the House of Glücksborg. In 1863, the House of Glücksborg succeeded the House of Oldenborg. The present Royal Family are the direct descendants of the House of Glücksborg.

i once read in a book that only non-royal descendants of QEII will adopt the surname of mountbatten-windsor. lady louise's known as louise windsor not louise mountbatten-windsor. but why princess anne use the surname mountbatten-windsor, i don't understand.

i also don't understand which descendants of QEII will be non-royal, if it's refering to the female-line descendants, they would use their fathers' surnames. if it's referring to the male-line descendants, only prince harry's grandsons (or great grandsons??)will be counted as non-royal. but the decree was made in the 1960s, isn't it too early to worry about it?

I have a question about the current commoner-crown princesses. I know that in Spain the women don't take their husband's last name, therefore Letizia is still using her father's name Ortiz and not Borbon. Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names? And does Marie-Chantal still use Miller or her in-her-wildest-dreams "of Greece"?

The house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg is a branch of the house of Oldenburg.

The GRF don't have a surname but in Spain they use "de Grecia" (of Greece) though sometimes I have read just "Grecia". The Prince of Asturias is Felipe de [font=Verdana,Arial]Borbón[/font] y Grecia. I think that the SRF are the only ones that have last names.

planetcher said:
Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names?QUOTE]

From what I remember from the time of the wedding, HRH Crown Princess Mary would use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg if required to do so, however I think she is able to just use "Mary", but certainly not "Donaldson".

Von Schlesian said:
planetcher said:
Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names?QUOTE]

From what I remember from the time of the wedding, HRH Crown Princess Mary would use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg if required to do so, however I think she is able to just use "Mary", but certainly not "Donaldson".
Mette-Marit would also use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg.

Does Denamark and Norway really have the same name? I don't beleive it.

keira_jeanne said:
Does Denamark and Norway really have the same name? I don't beleive it.

When Norway became an independent nation in 1905, they selected a Danish prince to be their king.

Also, Greece selected a Danish prince to be their king in 1863; and I believe the Greek royals have this as a name as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom