The Real Names Of The Royal Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jamesdow/s092/f671728.htm

They are most certainly Oldenburg (Aldenburg) as My 17th cousin Prince William pointed this out to me and my cousin Hally personally- Check link below as for the old windsor I will find the link when I have a free moment and post it. There are many , many Oldenburg and other Royal lines that do not have proper historical documentation( many cadet house lines)other at the time were left out of the registries for not paying proper tax, tith, tribute to church and /or main house.

Tree: Anton Gunther von ALDENBURG (OLDENBURG)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are most certainly Oldenburg (Aldenburg)
I think you are confusing the Saxe-Coburgs with the Schleswig-Holsteins. The Saxe-Coburgs are part of the Wettin family of the Houses of Saxony; the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs (of which Charles will be the first British King although he will presumably remain under the House of Windsor rather than Mountbatten) are part of the Oldenburg dynasty.

Does the Asian and African royals also have a surname?

I think you are confusing the Saxe-Coburgs with the Schleswig-Holsteins. The Saxe-Coburgs are part of the Wettin family of the Houses of Saxony; the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs (of which Charles will be the first British King although he will presumably remain under the House of Windsor rather than Mountbatten) are part of the Oldenburg dynasty.

Warren, I am certain you are correct lol... I am from both lines. They are all intermarried on one level or the other, directly or indirectly and I do tend to confuse the histories. I have 7 Imperial lines 18 Royal lines confirmed in my lines up to the very late 1800's early 1900's when they all changed names and became citizen of the USA and disappeared off of the map. Hence I have Royals whom are cousin by one line, uncle by another. It is Confusing lol. There are also so many name changes throughout all of the lines, some just in spelling/ language ( by regional usages)i.e Aldenburg to Oldenburg other by marriages to entirely new names.

Although these are semi correct lol , they are semi- incorrect. Usually there is more then one House name Romanov is actually Parent House Oldenburg- Holstein - Gottorp -Romanov
Windsors were actually Saschen-Coburg -un Gotha -Aldenburg then by decree they changed the name to Windsor ( like the Palace) which was named after the Windsor Territory in Old Germany. Our Greek lines were Hesse main house plus the cadet house names per lines. If you look up each you will find most have 3 which was traditional with Parent House line first. Some have more and many have changed or abbreviated names over the decades.

I guess that the name of the Greek Royal Family is Glücksburg... Do you know if I'm right?

Regards!

I guess that the name of the Greek Royal Family is Glücksburg
Like the Danish Royal Family, the Greek Royal Family have no "name". Together with the Norwegian royals and the non-reigning Ducal line, they are of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which is itself a branch of the Oldenburg dynasty.

Am I right? The House of Tuscany is also called Altenburg?!?

Bhutan = Wangchuck
Japan = Heisei Era
Cambodia = Norodom

No, the house of Tuscany name is Habsburg-Lothringen (in Italian "Asburgo Lorena"); a quite remote branch of this house has taken the title and name of "Prince of Altenburg". I am not sure if this branch is dynastic or not.

If I recall correctly they are of the Bourbon lines, they may also be Aldenburg. Many of these lines are intermarried.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly they are of the Bourbon lines, they may also be Aldenburg. Many of these lines are intermarried.
You are getting very confused HIRM&DSS Darius. The Tuscan branch of the Habsburgs is just that, a branch of the Habsburg Dynasty. They are not Bourbon, and "Aldenburg" (do you mean Altenburg in the Saxon Duchies of Thuringia?) has no connection at all.
Dynastic lines are of course interconnected through marriage, but a Habsburg is a Habsburg.

principessa said:
The House of Tuscany is also called Altenburg?!?
Archduke Karl Albrecht of the Teschen line of the Habsburgs married in 1920 the daughter of the First Master of the Swedish Royal Hunt. In 1949 the Archduke Otto created her Princess von Altenburg; the issue of the marriage bear the surname of Habsburg and the title of Prince or Princess von Altenburg. This Habsburg mini-branch will soon be extinct in the male line.
Archduke Clemens Salvator of the Tuscan line assumed the title of Count of Altenburg in 1931 following his "unequal" marriage and in 1949, with the approval of the Archduke Otto, he and his family assumed the titles of Princes and Princesses von Altenburg.

Last edited:

Warren as seen here in link Anton Von Aldenburg is ancestor also of Jaun Carlos. I know several persons with both lines in blood- just not certain of which line they consider themselves.

Tree: Anton Gunther von ALDENBURG (OLDENBURG)

If I recall correctly they are of the Bourbon lines, they may also be Aldenburg. Many of these lines are intermarried
Please note I wrote IF I recall correctly lol.. I admit my memory isn't the greatest in these matters. I do try,and do come back to correct myself when I mis-speak. They are indeed Hapsburg- Lorraine line The surviving prerogatives and titles of the Grand Ducal House of Tuscany

I looked it up after posting and came back to update. Hapsburg lines being officially abdicated those married into lines of active houses may be titled/styled by those lines. Thereby the confusion. Persons tend to think of Nobility in terms of the seated and larger Royal Houses, there are indeed many, many unknown ( in a public sense)Nobles by blood , from real lines throughout the world and thousands of cadet houses that use different names from the main house.

Hapsburg lines being officially abdicated those married into lines of active houses may be titled/styled by those lines. Thereby the confusion.
HIRM&DSS Darius, with all due respect, there is no confusion except perhaps on your behalf. It is quite easy to determine which House a person belongs to. That is why we have dynastic genealogies, tables and lines of descent. It's all laid down. For example, the Tuscans are Habsburgs, there is nothing further to say, it is fact, there is no confusion. In your example of Juan Carlos being a descendant of Anton Gunther of Oldenburg, that doesn't make JC an Oldenburg. He is a Bourbon. What is there to be confused about?

Every European reigning monarch (and most heads of the deposed monarchies) is descended from Johann-Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau. That doesn't make Queen Elizabeth II or Prince Hans Adam or Duke Max of Bavaria an Anhalt-Dessau. None of them are confused about their family or dynastic or house name, and neither are we.

It´s clear, that they have the same name! After the seperation from Sweden (in 1905), Norway also got an own Royal house (again), and so prince Carl of Danmark (known as king Haakon VII) became king. He was a brother of king Christian X of Danmark. And that´s the reason why they have the same name!

Right, but I think Denmark uses Glucksburg, and Norway uses Schleswig-Holstien, so to speak.

Belgium - Wettin (direct connection with the Windsors, whose name was Wettin until George V changed it during WWI).
Spain - Borbon (and sometimes Borbon y de Grecia or Borbon y Ortiz, depending on whom you're referring to; Felipe and his sisters are the first one, and Felipe's daughters are the latter).
Luxembourg - Orange-Nassau
Liechtenstein - von Liechtenstein (they take their name from the castle that the principality was named after).

Pardon if I am repeating.
It is my understanding that Queen Victoria was very concerned with the royal household name. The name Saxe-Coburg-Gotha was only created in 1825, and was a minor offshoot of the Ducal families. Her researchers felt that the thousand year old name of Wettin was the best name for her Albert's family. (Since then they have uncovered geneology from before the Castle of Wettin was built). She very much wanted her family to be known as the House of Wettin. However, for some reason the name never really stuck and they continued to be known as the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
----------------
Although the Castle of Wettin certainly was constructed a few centuries after the Anglo Saxon invasion of England, it still conjured up images of the shared Saxon heritage of England and Germany. As such it would be less abrasive to the British people. It was certainly one of the names considered by George V. However, by 1917 a much stronger statement needed to be made, and simply renaming them the House of Wettin was an insufficient gesture.
-------------
Initially George V was opposed to changing the name of the house thinking that it was unnecessary. But when the Gotha bomber was dropping bombs on civilian areas of London, it was clear even to him that he needed to change the name. It is interesting to think that if Wettin had been adopted in 1901, the backlash might not have been as strong, and we would have that name today.

Let us not forget that Battenberg is not an ancient name, but was one created in 1851 as a very minor title considering the lowly dynastic status of Julie von Hauke. For nobles they lived a quiet unobtrusive life with no dynastic claims. Her son, Prince Louis of Battenberg, was really a self made man who joined the British Navy at the age of only 14.

The decision to anglicize the name to Mountbatten in 1917 was a political move certainly, but to be fair Louis was certainly an Englishman and not a German. The ancient family name is Oldenberg.

Let us not forget that Battenberg is not an ancient name, but was one created in 1851 as a very minor title considering the lowly dynastic status of Julie von Hauke. For nobles they lived a quiet unobtrusive life with no dynastic claims. Her son, Prince Louis of Battenberg, was really a self made man who joined the British Navy at the age of only 14.

The decision to anglicize the name to Mountbatten in 1917 was a political move certainly, but to be fair Louis was certainly an Englishman and not a German. The ancient family name is Oldenberg.

Well Philipp Mountbatten, the duke of Edinburgh, is an Oldenburg (not Oldenberg, am I right?). But he is a Mountbatten because he adopted his mternal uncle surname. The others Mountbatten are from the Hesse family..now what's the Hesse family real surname? Oldenberg?

Well Philipp Mountbatten, the duke of Edinburgh, is an Oldenburg (not Oldenberg, am I right?). But he is a Mountbatten because he adopted his mternal uncle surname. The others Mountbatten are from the Hesse family..now what's the Hesse family real surname? Oldenberg?

no the surname of oldenburg has nothing to the hesse family, this surname belongs to the dukes greek / danish ancestors !!
i guess the hessians belongs to the house of brabant !! :flowers:

Prince Philip is an Oldenburg through his father Prince Andrew of Greece and a Battenberg (a morganatic branch of the House of Hesse) through his mother Princess Alice.
The Hessians (House of Brabant as jonnydep has stated) are quite separate from the Oldenburgs.

For the english royal family, its Windsor.

Not exactly, it became Windsor by Royal decree but the real name of Queen Elizabeth II should be:

Elizabeth von Saxen-Coburg und Gotha

:previous: yes, I read somewhere that they changed to Windsor because Saxen- Coubourg und Gotha sound very german, and if I'm not mistaken they were having some kind of troubles with Germany at that time, I think?

:previous:

Yes, they had. King George V. changed the name "Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha" during the First World War because of its geman sounding.
Other names like "von Battenberg" were changed to "Mountbatten" and "Teck" to "Cambridge".

Oh! von Battenberg changed to Mountbatten, I didn't know that.
Thanks Dierna! :flowers:

:previous: yes, I read somewhere that they changed to Windsor because Saxen- Coubourg und Gotha sound very german, and if I'm not mistaken they were having some kind of troubles with Germany at that time, I think?
Also, Windsor is probably alot easier to say. ;)

Easier to remember maybe but easier to say? Its not very difficult, not like saying King Nabukodonosor's name.

# 176

They didn't rename the Battenberg cake though !!!

Well in male line these persons belong to:

Queen Elizabeth II belongs to the family of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha(changed to Windsor in 1917),one of the lines of Wettin families...

Prince Philipp,her husband belongs to the family of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg,line of the Oldenburg family who ruled in Greece...

Lord Louis Mountbatten belongs to the von Battenberg family which is part of Hessen und Rhein family...

Queen Margarethe II belongs to the family of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg,line of Oldenburg family who still rules in Denmark...

King Harald V of Norway belongs to the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg family,line of Oldenburg family who still rules in Norway...

Emperor Nicholas II belongs to the von Holsten-Gottorp family,part of the Oldenburg family who ruled in Russia...

King Simeon of Bulgaria belongs to the von Sachsen-Coburg-Kohary family,part of the Wettin family...

King Michail of Romania belongs to the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family who ruled in Romania...

Queen Beatrix belongs to the zur Lippe-Biesterfeld family,while her heir belongs to the von Amsberg family

King Karl XVI Gustav belongs to Bernadotte family...

King Albert II of Belgium belongs to Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family...

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg belongs to Bourbon-Parma family...

King Juan Carlos belongs to Bourbon family...

Archduke Otto von Habsburg belongs to the family von Lothringen...

Queen Juliana belonged to von Mecklenburg-Schwerin family...

Queen Wilhelmina,her mother belonged von Nassau-Dietz family

Prince Albert of Monaco belongs to de Polignac family,not Grimaldi...

Prince Hans Adam von liechtenstein belongs to von und zu Liechtenstein family

King Manuel II,last King of Portugal belonged to Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family...

Prince Duarte Pio,pretender to the throne of Portugal belongs to the Braganca family...

Pretender to the throne of Brazil belongs to Orleans de Bourbon-Braganca family,part of the Bourbon family...

Grand Duke George Mikhailovich,pretender to the throne of Russia belongs to Hohenzollern-Prussia family...

Kingdom of Corsica,smallest kingdom of Europe was ruled by von Neuhoff family...

Albania was ruled by von Wied and Zogolli families

Serbia was ruled by Obrenovich and Karadjordjevich families...

Montenegro was ruled by Petrovic-Njegosh family...

Principality of Andorra is co-ruled by Sarkozy de Nagy-Bosca family...

and so on...

Back
Top Bottom