The Real Names Of The Royal Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually the Royal Family of Hanover's last name is GUELPH, not HANNOVER. Take a look in Vanity Faire at Prince Ernst-August, Guelph is the family name.

Originally posted by Cherry_Jubilee_Alibi@Nov 8th, 2003 - 1:41 am
Tommix, you are a gem.  I enjoy reading your posts.  ;)  :flower:
:heart: Thank you for your kind words. I'm am gratified to think that others derive enjoyment from my posts. I try to make them interesting and as accurate as possible. :heart:

[Also to you, Alexandra, you are most welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance]. :flower:

Despite all these contributions from worthy readers, I find I am now more confused then before, about all these names.

Would it be possible to do separate posts, where for each House there is
- one list for all the House names, and a
- second list for the family surname(s) ?

The Belgian royal family is the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Saalfeld (this last name they lose at the end of the 19th century).

The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha royal house also ruled over Bulgaria (Saxe-Coburg-Kóhary) and Portugal (Saxe-Coburg-Bragança).

The British royal family also is the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but they changed their name German names during WWI for the British name Windsor, as protest against the Germans. So actually the current British Royal Family are the Coburgs, only with another name.

The Coburgs who live in Germany, the Dukes and Earls of Saxe-Coburg, aren't members of any Royal Family in Europe, and they use the name Wettin as last name when they are in common.

Question directed towards Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg... how did you come up with that name... are you a fan of the German royals?? We were just discussing Princess Alexandra being the Duches of Brunswick-Luneburg in another forum... just curious...

Originally posted by Helen88@Nov 4th, 2003 - 3:55 pm
I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?
Isn't the last name Bertil?? I read a magazine who used that name as last name for princess Madeleine.

I had always thought that the Sweden were Bernadottes,.....

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 4th, 2003 - 12:55 pm
Sweden:Bernadotte
Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
GB: Windsor
Netherlands: Oranien-Nassau or oranje-Nassau
Belgium: Sachsen-Coburg
Spain: Bourbon
Luxemburg: Nassau
Monaco:Grimaldi

But I don´t know the name of Liechtenstein-family.
The royal hous in denmark don´t youse the names Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg any more BUT only the name Glücksburg.
The names Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg the royal house lost when Denmark went to war in 1863 aginst Germany.
We lost a quit big part of Denmark when we lost the war. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Originally posted by TOMMIX+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:31 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOMMIX @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:31 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am
<!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX
@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-         Wettin

I don't think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks!

Greece-           Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name.
:heart: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark's and Greece's Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
As I noted in several previous postings the HOUSE name and the FAMILY names are not always the same.
The poster who began this thread was asking for the FAMILY names not the House names. :flower: [/b][/quote]
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark's and Greece's Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
No No this is a wrong information you are giving the other members in her.
The rigth name for the royal family in Denmark are NOT Oldenburg BUT Glúcksborg.
If you not trust me then look at this web page: www.kongehuset.dk
ther you haf your answer.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Haha thanks for the question, but it has nothing to do with German royals or something like that, it's just a name I chosed as nickname. I find it a good name, but I'm not fan of the German royals. I just liked the name...

Kind regards....

And then you have the story of then Crown Prince Olav of Norway and his trip to Sweden to get engaged to Märtha. The papers were absolutely certain that he was travelling with a false passport, since none of them had found him out... But he had a correct one with the name: Olav Haakonsen... ie. Olav son of Haakon. :lol:

The name of the Royal Families:

Albania - Zogu
Austria - Habsburg-Lothringen
Baden - Zähringen
Bavaria - Wittelsbach
Belgium - Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Brazil - Orléans-Bragança
Bulgaria - Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Denmark - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
France - Orléans-Bourbon
Georgia - Bagration-Moukhransky
Germany - Hohenzollern
Great-Britain - Windsor
Greece - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Hannover - Brunswick-Lüneburg
Hesse - Hesse
Hohenzollern - Hohenzollern
Holland - Orange-Nassau
Italy - Savoia
Leiningen - Leiningen
Leuchtenberg - Beauharnais
Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein
Ligne - Ligne
Lippe-Biesterfeld - Lippe-Biesterfeld
Luxemburgo - Nassau-Weilburg
Monaco - Grimaldi
Montenegro - Petrovic-Njegos
Norway - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Oldenburg - Oldeburg
Parma - Bourbon
Portugal - Bragança
Roménia - Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
Rússia - Holstein-Gottorp-Romanoff
Saxony - Wettin
Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg - Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Schaumburg-Lippe - Schaumburg-Lippe
Serbia - Karadjeorjevic
Sweden - Bernadotte
Spain - Bourbon
Thurn und Taxis - Thurn und Taxis
Tuscany - Habsburg-Lothringen
Two-Sicilies - Bourbon
Wied - Wied
Windisch-Grätz - Windisch-Grätz
Wrede - Wrede
Württemberg - Württemberg

Must correct the British Royal Family name--it is Mountbatten-Windsor. HM the Queen in 1960 issued a proclamation declaring that all descendents that aren't royals shall carry that name--but now it seems to have gone a step further--when Princess Anne married the first time, she was registered as Anne Mountbatten-Windsor.

I am now more confused than before. Would a synonym for "House" be Dynasty? And would family name be dependent on marriages as well? For example, say a Queen from House & Family name "X" marries someone with Family Name "Y"..... their kids (and the next ruler) would be from House "X" with Family Name "Y"?

Just a slight correction :flower: :

Serbia - Karadjordjevic

Originally posted by helleniki@May 29th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
The name of the Royal Families:

Albania - Zogu
Austria - Habsburg-Lothringen
Baden - Zähringen
Bavaria - Wittelsbach
Belgium - Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Brazil - Orléans-Bragança
Bulgaria - Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Denmark - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
France - Orléans-Bourbon
Georgia - Bagration-Moukhransky
Germany - Hohenzollern
Great-Britain - Windsor
Greece - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Hannover - Brunswick-Lüneburg
Hesse - Hesse
Hohenzollern - Hohenzollern
Holland - Orange-Nassau
Italy - Savoia
Leiningen - Leiningen
Leuchtenberg - Beauharnais
Ligne - Ligne
Lippe-Biesterfeld - Lippe-Biesterfeld
Luxemburgo - Nassau-Weilburg
Monaco - Grimaldi
Noruega - Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Oldenburg - Oldeburg
Parma - Bourbon
Portugal - Bragança
Roménia - Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
Rússia - Holstein-Gottorp-Romanoff
Saxony - Wettin
Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg - Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Schaumburg-Lippe - Schaumburg-Lippe
Serbia - Karadjeorjevic
Sweden - Bernadotte
Spain - Bourbon
Thurn und Taxis - Thurn und Taxis
Tuscany - Habsburg-Lothringen
Two-Sicilies - Bourbon
Wied - Wied
Windisch-Grätz - Windisch-Grätz
Wrede - Wrede
Württemberg - Württemberg
I have to correct you helleniki.
The royal family her in Denmark just have 1 family name and that is Glúcksburg and not the other names.
The reason that the RF don´t have the other names is that when Denmark lost the rigths over Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg the RF also lorst the rigth to juse the names.

I believe that the Greek royal family uses de Grecia (Spanish for of Greece) on their passports. It is also tagged onto Alexia's children's names after Morales, which is the Spanish custom.

The name of the Tongan royal family is Tupou. (pronounced two-poo)

Isn't Great Britain's "real" last name "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" which they changed to "Windsor" to sound more English?

Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Jun 9th, 2004 - 3:12 am
Isn't Great Britain's "real" last name "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" which they changed to "Windsor" to sound more English?
Yes that's correct.

Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha never has been and never was a surname. It is a territory. All the Saxonies were ruled by various members of the house of Wettin. Royals do not have "family names" or surnames unless so specifically decreed. They do have house names. Here are the agnatic names for the royal families, so you can see which families have expanded over various territories:

Albania - Zogu
Austria-Hungary & Bohemia - Habsburg-Lothringen
Belgium - Wettin
Brazil - Bourbon (Orléans-Bragançe line)
Bulgaria - Wettin
Denmark - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg branch, ends with The Queen) followed by Laborde-Montpezat
France (Imperial) - Bonaparte
France (Royal) - Bourbon (feuding branches)
Germany - Hohenzollern
Great Britain & Northern Ireland - Wettin (ends with The Queen, Windsor by decree) followed by Oldenburg (S-H-S-G line, Mountbatten by decree)
Greece - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg branch)
Italy - Savoy (feuding branches)
Luxembourg - Bourbon (Nassau-Weilburg by decree)
Monaco - Grimaldi (through a few female lines)
The Netherlands - Lippe-Biesterfeld (Orange-Nassau by decree) followed by Amsberg
Norway - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg branch)
Portugal - Bragançe
Roumania - Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (ends with the current King, apparently)
Russia - Oldenburg (Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov branch, ends with Maria Vladimirovna) followed by Hohenzollern
Serbia - Karageorgevich
Sweden - Bernadotte
Spain - Bourbon

The Bourbons had a wide expance, with territories that also included the Sicilies, Naples, Parma, etc. Wettin had all the Saxon duchies, the Saxon grand duchy and the Saxon kingdom. Oldenburg's reign was also vast and far flung. Habsburg-Lothringen also held Tuscany and various other tracts of territory.

Interesting enough, technically, the Royal Families of Greece and Norway are also members of the Royal Family of Denmark specifically. Both are descended from Danish kings in the male line and are entitled to Danish princely titles.

Originally posted by H.M. Margrethe@May 30th, 2004 - 5:41 pm
The reason that the RF don´t have the other names is that when Denmark lost the rigths over Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg the RF also lorst the rigth to juse the names.
Norway, a branch of Denmark, uses it as a house name still... So I suppose you need to be corrected.

Few of these familes have surnames. The house name for Denmark, Norway, Greece and agnatically of Russia and soon-Great Britain is Oldenburg.

Originally posted by Layla@May 30th, 2004 - 11:40 am
I am now more confused than before. Would a synonym for "House" be Dynasty? And would family name be dependent on marriages as well? For example, say a Queen from House & Family name "X" marries someone with Family Name "Y"..... their kids (and the next ruler) would be from House "X" with Family Name "Y"?
The children are supposed to get their House name from their father... As well as a surname if and only if the father has one.

Thus, if no names changed, Elizabeth II of GB, a Wettin, married Prince Philip, an Oldenburg. Their children would then be Oldenburgs and the Ruling House would change to Oldenburg on Elizabeth II's death.

If the father only has a surname, I suppose it could then become a House name as well.

I think Crown Princess Victoria have used bernadotte when she have done military practice

The british royals officiallly have the surname Windsor mountbatten as a tribute to prince phillip and i know that the swedish surname is bernadotte but doesnt that sound very feminine?the monaco royals use grimaldi

Just a quick question-I realize the British Royal family uses Windsor now, but wasn't the name changed in like 1917 because of anti-German sentiments in that area? I do believe thier original last name is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (or maybe I'm confused and that is the house name...it can happen! :) ) If that were the case, then regardless of the fact that they have been using the sir name Windsor-the British Royal family's true last name would be Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, they just chose not to use it...(IMO)

As I said I could be wrong, it's been known to happen...

i have notice that royalty seem to have very long names such as a first name, middle name, next to the middle name , next to next to middle name then the last name why is that?

hania said:
swedish surname is bernadotte but doesnt that sound very feminine?
feminine? what do you mean with that do you think a royal mame should be feminine, if so why

Back
Top Bottom