The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Hehe, I hate The White Princess but the last post reminded me of what she said to Henry VII about there being no divine rights of kings and that all of them had to shed some blood.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Commoner

Southeast Asia has the concept of devaraja which means god king.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Majesty

Several modern European monarchs ( Queen Margrethe II, Queen Elizabeth II , King Willem Alexander) still use the title “by the Grace of God King/Queen” . Do they believe in the divine right then ?
Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_the_Grace_of_God
Old 11-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
According to Wikipedia, "by the Grace of God” is still used in Europe by the monarchs of Denmark, Liechtenstein, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. The phrase was never used in Belgium ( a “ popular monarchy” from its inception) and was last used in Norway by King Haakon VII and in Sweden by King Gustav VI Adolf ( the current Norwegian and Swedish monarchs dropped the divine right claim).

In Spain, the last monarch to use “by the Grace of God” was Alfonso XIII. The phrase has not been used since the restoration of the monarchy in 1975. Juan Carlos and Felipe VI have also dropped the use of the style “ His Catholic Majesty”, using only “His Majesty”.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Nobility

I think, the thingy with the divine right is not so easy.

For example the British Monarchs claimed to have "a healing touch ability".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_touch

And you can still see a lot of wheelchairs at the royal church at Christmas.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
I think, the thingy with the divine right is not so easy.

well, The Queen didn´t touch all of these people...
Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps a lot of the "divine right to rule" stems back throughout history with the formation of the Holy Roman Empire and the Vatican's interactions and support and, in general, the church's role in the lives and politics of the people and the kingdoms it supported. The Pope, back then, had as much power (if not more) than any king or queen did and was a sovereign unto himself. The Church of Rome also had a vast fortune to fund crusades and inquisitions and was very much "the conscience" of the people. Kings/Queens with the blessing of the Church had "God on their side".

Superstitions within the belief system of the Church were also rampant and that's where I think the "robe touching to be healed" came from. Relics of saints held magical healing properties and wearing a scapular with a saint's relic for protection and blessing and safeguarding was prominent in the Catholic religion even up to the 20th century (and may still be so) as I remember having to wear a few of them myself at the insistence of my mother.

Religion and the Church of Rome and as time passed, the different churches of the Reformation have always played a huge part in the roles of kingdoms with its kings and queens. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, noble families used to deem that the first born son would be for the Crown and the second born son for the Church.

So, as I see it, the "divine right to rule" was a man made school of thought that was deemed by the Church of Rome and its Pope more for political and control of the masses than the actual belief that God actually did deem a man or woman his choice for a ruler. Just look at all the Kings that held "divine right to rule" and went to war against each other. How could "God" be on both sides of that war?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Isn't that in a more modern context a kind of reference to the fact that in several monarchies, the monarch was/is also the head of the national church?
So by the grace of God seem to me like a logic way to emphasize that.

And if you are religious, surely you are ruling by the grace of God - and not least by the help of God?
Certainly QMII has often said that her faith has been a tremendous help in her job as monarch and that she believe she has a support in God. - "She is not alone."
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post

It wasn't exclusive to just British/English monarchs but across Christendom.

Clovis Ier healing scrofulous

Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Majesty

Nevertheless , neither the British Queen nor the monarchs of Denmark or the Nerherlands own their position to the “ grace of God” , but rather to the laws of succession in their respective countries.

Could the “grace of God” mentioned in their official citation be linked then to their accident of birth , I.e. being the firstborn of a particular family at a particular time ? If so, that obviously implies a religious belief about divine intervention in one’s life circumstances , which non-believers otherwise see as merely accidental and random . In countries where the monarch is still the head of the established church, the use of “ by the grace of God” may be acceptable, but I don’t find it appropriate in a secular state like the Netherlands.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Beatrix used the style ':We, Beatrix, by the Grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau...'

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Besluit-2.jpg

Tags
divine right, monarchy, religion