Single Princesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The initial discussion was single princesses from strict Catholic family as a potential wife for Harry. While Harry would not lose his place in the line of succession, a strict Catholic foreign princess is probably not the best choice.

Would she want her children to be Catholic and then they lose their place in the line of succession, wedding in Anglican Church? Plus probably resentment from being a foreign outsider. She may find it pretty hard to fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous:I agree.

I could see a lax or non-observant Catholic agreeing to this, but not someone from a very strict Catholic background.

Princess Michae(Marie-Christine von Reibnitz)l did not convert but agreed to raise her children Anglican, which is why Pope Paul VI did not give consent to the marriage or even grant a Papal blessing.

I wonder if this is the place to raise it, but what about single princesses in the past? Like various ones in the Victorian age who never married, such as Pss Helena Victoria. Did they have happy lives? were they resentful that they never found husbands? Princess Victoria, Ed VII's daughter, wasn't too happy with being single.

Really Now a real princess of a European country (Monaco) is not included here - Jazmin Grace Grimaldi. She is not legitimate, but not by any fault of her own. So if P Stephanie's daughter Camille is included in this group, there is no reason to not include her 1st cousin Jazmin.
Jazmin Grimald is certainly not a princess, nor is Camille Gottlieb.. (nor Caroline's elder daughter nor Stephanie's other daughter...

Not anymore it won't.

3. Changes to the Act of Settlement meant that any person who married a Roman Catholic was no longer barred from the throne. If a person is a Roman Catholic they are barred but not being married to one. This change brought Prince Michael of Kent and Prince Ernst of Hanover back into the line of succession as they had only lost their place because of their marriages.

If Harry were to marry a Roman Catholic he would remain in the line of succession. If he were to convert to Roman Catholicism then he would lose his place,
I meant a few years ago. And even so, there would possibly be a cultural factor, as others have pointed out a strict RC might not wish to have her children reared as Anglicans..
and simply some people DO care.

Last edited:
Yes, I am not saying I know more than you about 19th century Brazil. I actually did not go into specifics because it is "19th century Brazilian, at the time of the monarchy" and this has nothing to do with the topic of "Single Princesses." I am NOT deciding who is or is not included in this list, just wondering why wealthy socialites of royal descent (i. e. , "Princess of Brazil") are being included, as they are NOT princesses. That's the issue; Brazilian history (and you being an authority on the subject), the fact that you are a professor at a university in Brazil, and me being American is off-topic. The issue is Brazil has no recognized royal family (it is a republic). It's not really a problem to me, you definitely are the one with the problem regarding this situation. One cannot be a princess of a country that has no monarchy It is what it is; there is no need for you to be vile.

A very well-written post filled with knowledge and accurate information is met by this arbitrary and not-relevant response, very sad indeed.
A republican will never accept royal titles, that much is clear, but a monarchist will, and those who believe in and respect tradition, do. A Princess, a Royal or Imperial Family is not living as socialites because their family once had a position. They're living the life they live because they're connected. They're often well placed in the center of society even if the throne they once occupied is no longer in existence, but I will point this out:
Most monarchists respect tradition because they know from studying history, that from time to time, institutions come and go, and come again. Monarchies have fallen in many corners of the world, but the Royal or Imperial Families do not disappear. Their titles do not cease to be recognized, and the respect many still show them, does not suddenly vanish. Therefore, just as German, Austrian, Italian, Portuguese and other Royal and Imperial Families are recognized as Princes and Princesses still, even if the monarchy is not currently the form of government in their country, so are members of the Imperial Family of Brazil. To spend any energy trying to trounce that, when it is clearly established and respected, as shown in examples earlier in this thread, is just a waste of time.

When it comes to the Americas, even if you overlook the Commonwealth Realms and the Windsor Royal Family that reigns over them, there are former Imperial Families in Brazil and Mexico, that has single Princesses in them, with reference to the actual point of this thread.
There are Royal Families in Hawaii and I'm sure if one looks for them, there are family members living from the former Empire of Haiti, not to mention descendants of the native empires and civilizations once spread across the Southern American continent.

The thing often misunderstood, and with all due respect, and in particular by Americans proudly touting a republican banner, is that the monarchy as an institution may come, go and often times come again, but the family itself, does not. An Imperial, Royal or Princely Family continues to uphold, represent and personify the history of a country, the value of something elevated and representative, and their titles are therefore both used and respected, in most layers of society.

To the point of: 'most people don't care'. Gee, really? Most people in any democracy on Earth are fairly careless about who they vote for, or who rules or reigns over them, as long as they have an income, a place to live and food to eat. That's just how it is, and not very relevant on a site dedicated to a particular topic, that one assumes most contributors on are at least remotely interested in.

There are many Princesses from countries that are not currently monarchies, and one of the things that many of us who are lucky enough to live in stable, democratic monarchies appreciate and attempt to spread, is the wisdom that current republics with existing Royal Families have an alternative to the divisive and expensive republics that give them nothing but headaches (points to Trump, Putin, Assad, Kim Jong-Un, Hollande, Erdogan, Rousseff etc.etc...).
Calling the women of former Royal Families by their recognized and respected titles is just a part of that picture. Trying to add illegitimate children of royalty that has affairs, as people who should be called Princesses, while centuries-old ruling families currently not reigning are not entitled to their titles, is as absurd as the entirety of your posts.

To end on a high note relevant to the thread, and one even NotHRH might support, H.R.H Princess Märtha Louise of Norway is now single, following the dissolution of her marriage to Ari Behn. As she is still in her early 40s, one might assume that she will find love again and possibly re-marry at some stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom