Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

Adriana

The Pope received The King and The Queen alone first and then all the members of the Royal Family (except the children of Elena and Jaime) and the King's Family (including Infante D. Carlos and Princess Anne of France).

Last edited by a moderator:
La Familia del Rey con el Papa, en la audiencia que les concedió en la Nunciatura Apostólica. Asistieron con los Reyes, el Príncipe de Asturias; la Infanta Doña Elena y su esposo, Don Jaime de Marichalar; la Infanta Doña Cristina, su esposo, Don Iñaki Urdangarin, y sus hijos Juan, Pablo y Miguel; la Infanta Doña Pilar; la Infanta Doña Margarita y su esposo, Don Carlos Zurita; el Infante Don Carlos con su esposa, Ana de Francia, y la madre de ésta, la Infanta Doña Alicia; y, en representación del resto de la Familia del Rey, Marisol de Baviera.
(Madrid, 4 de mayo de 2003)

Attachments

• Madrid__4_de_mayo_de_2003.JPG
    Madrid__4_de_mayo_de_2003.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 887
I really like Elena's grey suit. The cut of it is very flattering on her. I have noticed the Spanish royals, Sophia in particular, seem to wear a great deal of grey. As one chided by my friends for a wardrobe of grey and black, I love it!

I love to see photos like this! The entire family seems to be beaming with pride. What an amazing man, and what an honor for the family! Too bad the SRF doesn't go to church on a regular basis (this is of course my observation), it would be nice to see them goto church more often. The majority of Spanards (this is acording to another post) don't goto church! It would be nice to see more of it..

Chanel

What is exactly the dress protocol when visiting the pope??

I saw Paola wearing white, Diana black, Q Elizabeth II black, Letizia black and some other royals white.

When do you have to wear white and when to wear black?? Does it depends on religion???

According with tradition Protestant Sovereigns wear black and Catholic Sovereigns are allowed to wear white. Spanish ladies usually wear peineta and a veil (called also mantilla) if it is an official visit. But Letizia wore a black dress because she is not a Queen yet, but a Princess.

Does any one know why Queen Rania wore a light cream colored suite and a white lace covering her head when she met the Pope? I thought that was not correct?

Why the Spanish royals wear black then?? They are catholic, so they should wear white??

No, they should only wear white if he/she is king/queen, and since Letitia is Crownprinsess, but not yet a queen, she has to wear black.

I read Princess Diana's book that she and Prince Charles been visit pope John Diana wores black dresses to pope John she wores black veil. And HM Queen 2 wores veil with tiara in 1950's or 1960's im not sure what im exactly they again she visits pope John with hats and veil without veil.

I think Royals would must wores black dresses to pope John because more respect Pope John than white dresses that not correct for pope.

if you have pictures thread of Diana,Princess of Wales and HM Queen 2 and lots more of Royals.

Sara Boyce

Protestant Kings & Queens (monarch & consort) = black
Catholic Kings & Queens (monarch & consort) = white
Others than Kings & Queens = black

That's the way I've understood it.

The dress protocal is as follow:

The Catholic Queens of Belgium and Spain, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Princesses of Savoia, and the Archduchesses of Habsburg have the priveledge du blanc, which means they are allowed to wear white to the Vatican.

All other Queens and Princesses and other Royals repsectively wear black no matter if you are Catholic or any other sect of Christianity (this is why Letizia, although a Catholic Crown Princess of Spain wore black, but when she becomes Queen, she will be able to wear white).

Queen Rania on visiting the Vatican wore a silvery gray dress and mantilla. She probably did not wear black because she is not a Christian.

On your first visit to the Pope, you dress in full-gala as we saw with the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Spain yesterday, which for men is unifrom or white-tie and for ladies is gowns, tiaras with mantillas attached, or if a Spanish Royal lady, a Peineta and Mantilla. Both men and women wear their full orders. On following visits to the same Pope, I believe you do not dress in full-gala. Yet when a new Pope is chosen, you dress again in full-gala on meeting him. The only Royals I believe to break that rule and not dress in full-gala on their first time meeting Pope John Paul II are Prince Charles and Princess Diana (although that might not have been his first time metting Pope John Paul) and I believe King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium ( although that might not have been their first time meeting Pope John Paul).

Originally posted by A.C.C.@Jun 29th, 2004 - 5:11 pm

The Catholic Queens of Belgium and Spain, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Princesses of Savoia, and the Archduchesses of Habsburg have the priveledge du blanc, which means they are allowed to wear white to the Vatican.

All other Queens and Princesses and other Royals repsectively wear black no matter if you are Catholic or any other sect of Christianity (this is why Letizia, although a Catholic Crown Princess of Spain wore black, but when she becomes Queen, she will be able to wear white).

Queen Rania on visiting the Vatican wore a silvery gray dress and mantilla. She probably did not wear black because she is not a Christian.

On your first visit to the Pope, you dress in full-gala as we saw with the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Spain yesterday, which for men is unifrom or white-tie and for ladies is gowns, tiaras with mantillas attached, or if a Spanish Royal lady, a Peineta and Mantilla. Both men and women wear their full orders. On following visits to the same Pope, I believe you do not dress in full-gala. Yet when a new Pope is chosen, you dress again in full-gala on meeting him. The only Royals I believe to break that rule and not dress in full-gala on their first time meeting Pope John Paul II are Prince Charles and Princess Diana (although that might not have been his first time metting Pope John Paul) and I believe King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium ( although that might not have been their first time meeting Pope John Paul).
Why there are a distinction between the Catholic Royal ladies related to the way of dressing? For example: why don't the Royal ladies of the Portugueses Royal Family are not allowed to use white, being Catholic like the Royal ladies of the Spanish, Belgian, Italian and Austrian Royal Families?

And the use of veil? I saw HM Queen Silvia of Sweden with veil, but TM Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Anne of Romania without it! Is the use of veil not necessary to the Protestant and the Orthodox Royal ladies?

And the use of tiara? I only saw HM Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain using it twice! And the other Royal ladies, mainly Sovereigns don't use it?

Along the same line with this thread...can anyone suggest excellent etiquette websites (particularly ones that address royal protocol)?

Thank you. :flower:

Can some1 post pics from royals visiting the pope. Gona be nice to see.Like that we have a better ideia.

It would really hurt Rania’s vain if she would give respect to another religion. :wacko:

Originally posted by helleniki+Jul 5th, 2004 - 6:38 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helleniki @ Jul 5th, 2004 - 6:38 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A.C.C.@Jun 29th, 2004 - 5:11 pm

Queen Rania on visiting the Vatican wore a silvery gray dress and mantilla.  She probably did not wear black because she is not a Christian.

On your first visit to the Pope, you dress in full-gala as we saw with the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Spain yesterday, which for men is unifrom or white-tie and for ladies is gowns, tiaras with mantillas attached, or if a Spanish Royal lady, a Peineta and Mantilla.  Both men and women wear their full orders.  On following visits to the same Pope, I believe you do not dress in full-gala.  Yet when a new Pope is chosen, you dress again in full-gala on meeting him.  The only Royals I believe to break that rule and not dress in full-gala on their first time meeting Pope John Paul II are Prince Charles and Princess Diana (although that might not have been his first time metting Pope John Paul) and I believe King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium ( although that might not have been their first time meeting Pope John Paul).
Why there are a distinction between the Catholic Royal ladies related to the way of dressing? For example: why don't the Royal ladies of the Portugueses Royal Family are not allowed to use white, being Catholic like the Royal ladies of the Spanish, Belgian, Italian and Austrian Royal Families?

And the use of veil? I saw HM Queen Silvia of Sweden with veil, but TM Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Anne of Romania without it! Is the use of veil not necessary to the Protestant and the Orthodox Royal ladies?

And the use of tiara? I only saw HM Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain using it twice! And the other Royal ladies, mainly Sovereigns don't use it? [/b][/quote]
I have no idea why other Catholic royals besides the royals stated don't have the privilege du blanc. And, on visiting the Pope, a mantilla is usually always worn. I'm not sure why Queen Sonja did not wear one, but all other royals I have seen that have visited the Vatican have worn a mantilla. On the subject of tiaras, tiaras are usually worn by royal women (unless they are members of the Spanish Royal Family) on their first visit to a Pope because the first visit is almost always a full-gala event. Queen Elizabeth II has worn a tiara each time She has visited a new Pope (therefore HM did not wear one on Her second time meeting John Paul II). Queen Silvia wore one on her first meeting with John Paul II, Queen Margrethe wore one on Her first meeting with a Pope. As I said, the Spanish Royals dont wear tiaras when meeting the Pope for the first time, but their form of full-gala for this event is wearing a peineta with a mantilla attached, as Queen Sofia did for her first time meeting the various Popes she has met as well as Princess Letizia recently (and I assume Infantas Elena and Christina did as well). However, there have been times where a royal visit has been full-gala, but a tiara was not worn like when the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg visited the Vatican in 2000. Henri (as well as 2 of his sons) wore white tie and his orders and Maria Teresa wore a white gown, but she did not wear a tiara with her mantilla.

The King and Queen of Norway paid a state visit to Italy and the Vatican in October 2001. They were originally suppsed to be entertained to a gala banquet by the President of Italy and visit the pope wearing full gala (including tiara for Queen Sonja). Then came the 9/11 attacks on the WTC. The visit was almost cancelled, but instead they chose to scale down the pomp. The banquet was thus in black-tie and the King and Queen wore day-time attire for the meeting with the pope.

we had a thread with a loto f photos of royals visiting the pope but i can´t find it has anyone seen it

we need lots picture with King and Queen,Prince and Princess,Crown Prince and Crown Princess who meet with the pope than NO pictures! includes late Princess Diana of Wales.

Sara Boyce

Back
Top Bottom