Royal Saints

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't the Romanov Family of Russia considered to be saints as well as grand duchess Elisabeth fyodorovna who was a royal but then turned nun and still the Bolsheviks kill her why?
Elizabeth is depicted on the front of Westminster Abbey along with other
20th century martyrs.

Elizabeth is depicted on the front of Westminster Abbey along with other
20th century martyrs.

Really? I don't remember seeing her image though. Was it near the alter, or somewhere in the sanctuary? The only icon I saw was the one of the Virgin Mary holding her infant son somewhere near the front.

Really? I don't remember seeing her image though. Was it near the alter, or somewhere in the sanctuary? The only icon I saw was the one of the Virgin Mary holding her infant son somewhere near the front.
Its on the outside of the Abbey. If you look up when entering there are images of martyrs across the front.

Its on the outside of the Abbey. If you look up when entering there are images of martyrs across the front.

Thank you so much for the information. I'm assuming the later ones were added on since the Abbey was built a rather long time ago?

Saint Philomena, Virgin and Martyr (c.291-304), is an Ancient Greek Princess. Philomena's parents were Pagans, rulers of a Greek state. They were converted to Christianity when they received a blessing from God, a baby girl, whom they named "Philomena" which means "Daughter of Light". Philomena was the Princess of Corfu (Kerkyra in Greek).

Philomena grew up to be a lovely, beautiful and religious maiden. When she was 14 years old, the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who is responsible for the persecution of the early Christians, declared a war against Greece. Philomena and her parents went to Rome to make peace with Diocletian. When Diocletian saw the young Philomena for the first time, he was amazed by her beauty, and he fell in love with her, and he asked her to marry him and to become his Queen. Philomena refused his offer, saying that she belongs only to Jesus Christ. Diocletian became furious and he ordered Philomena to be thrown into Prison.

Again, Diocletian tried to convince Philomena to marry him, but she refused again. He became even more furious, and he had Philomena scourged at the pillar badly. But God, in his mercy, sent his angels to heal Philomena's wounds. Upon seeing what the angels did to Philomena, Diocletian became very mad, and again he ordered her to be thrown onto the Tiber River with a heavy anchor tied around her neck. Again, Philomena survived when the angels removed the anchor around her neck. Diocletian didn't give up, and again, he ordered that Philomena be killed by arrows, but she survived it too with the help of God's angels. Finally, having had enough, Diocletian ordered that Philomena be put to death by decapitation; this ended the earthly life of the young Greek Princess.

The early Christians, upon hearing her fate, mourned for the death of Philomena, and they buried her body with great honour in the Catacombs of Saint Priscilla in Rome. Thousands of years after her death, on May 25, 1802, Philomena's remains were found by the Archeologists at the Catacombs of Saint Priscilla in Rome. It was identified that the remains belong to Philomena when three stone tiles covering her tomb has a Latin Inscription written on it: PAX TECVM FILVMENA - in English, it translates "Peace be with you, Philomena". It was a custom for the early Christians in Rome to put a sign on the tombs so that the remains lying inside them would never be forgotten. Soon after the discovery of Philomena's remains, miracles were attributed through her intercession, making her recognized by the Church and the people as a Saint. Devotion to Saint Philomena became even more famous through the help of Saint Jean Marie Vianney, Venerable Pauline Marie Jaricot, and Servant of God, Maria Luisa of Jesus.

http://www.marypages.com/SaintPhilomena.gif
Philomena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
In 1998 ten vacant statue niches at the West Gate were filled with 10 representative 20th Century martyrs: Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia (d.1918), Manche Masemola (d.1928), Maximilian Kolbe (d.1941), Lucian Tapiede (d.1941), Dietrich Bonhoeffer (d.1945), Esther John (d.1960), Martin Luther King (d.1968), Wang Zhiming (d.1973), Janani Luwum (d.1977), and Óscar Romero (d.1980).
Very nice gesture from the authorities of the Abbey; presenting martyrs belonging to all three major factions of Christianity (Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants)

A photo:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/404384

Last edited:
Sacred Bone Relic of Blessed Emperor Charles of Austria, which is venerated in my country, the Philippines! :)

http://oi56.tinypic.com/wuml35.jpg

That relic of Bl. Emperor Charles is under the custody of a priest friend from Cebu, Philippines. During the feast of Bl. Emperor Charles, the Relic is taken out to the Church to be venerated by all of the faithful.

King Baudouin of the Belgians is also considered as a Saint by the Belgian people. He and Queen Fabiola lived a Saintly life.

King Baudouin of the Belgians is also considered as a Saint by the Belgian people. He and Queen Fabiola lived a Saintly life.
In what sense do you mean "Saintly life"?
It's interesting to know more about this couple.

He 's not directly related to me on my Father's side of the family but the connection is there my connection is to King Canute The Great and all of his ancestors before him Through the Canute/Cornett Connection. Anyway their is a King Canute The IV who is a Saint that's in the Canute line.:flowers:

St. Ingonde, Princess of the Thuringians
St. Clothilde, Princess of Burgundy
Has anyone mentioned St Vladimir? I may have missed it.
Saint Mathilda of the Anglo-Saxons, Queen Mother of Thierry III, King of Burgundy

Lots of ancient saints among aristocrats as well. Saint Mathilda of Ringleheim was mother of the Queen of France (Gerberga).

Although this is not Christian, Buddha was born into the Royal World. Buddha, or popularly known as Gautama Buddha, was a Prince of a Kingdom in Nepal called Kapilavastu. Buddha was the son of the King of Kapilavastu, Suddhodana, and his wife, Queen Maha Maya (or Mayadevi).

Here is a painting of Queen Maha Maya miraculously giving birth to Gautama Buddha:

http://www.exoticindia.com/buddha/maya_devi_and_buddhas_birth_te45.jpg

The exact birth place of Buddha in Lumbini, Nepal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Birthplacebuddha.jpg

Saint Albert of Louvain (1166 - 1192), is a Belgian Royal Saint. He was the Prince-Bishop of Liege from September 22, 1191 till January 1192. He was canonized in 1613. Saint Albert was the son of Godfrey III, Count of Leuven, and brother of Henry I, Duke of Lorraine and Brabant. His relics are transferred to the Carmelite Monastery of Brussels, Belgium in 1612, some are re-located to the Cathedral of Liege in Belgium, in 1822:

Saints.SQPN.com » Blog Archive » Saint Albert of Louvain
Albert of Louvain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was surprised to know that the Servant of God, Empress Zita, was born in Lucca, Italy. Lucca is the place where the famous early 20th Century Mystic, Saint Gemma Galgani, was born.

In what sense do you mean "Saintly life"?
It's interesting to know more about this couple.

That they were devoutly Catholic,the couple had no children as Queen Fabiola had several miscarriages.

In 1990 the king refused refused to give Royal assent to the liberalising of Belgiums Abortion laws.

Agnes of Bohemia (1211-1282): Princess and Saint

Exhibition on St Agnes of Bohemia opens in Prague convent | Prague Monitor
A unique exhibition on St Agnes of Bohemia (1211-1282) will open in Prague's Anezsky convent, which was founded by St Agnes and whose Gothic architecture will complement the medieval artifacts on display, the organisers told journalists on the eve of its opening Thursday. The exhibition, which runs through the end of March, offers about 300 works of arts documenting the life and later cult of Agnes, a princess of the House of Premyslids who opted for a life of charity and piety in the 13th century.

The life and legacy of Saint Agnes of Bohemia - Radio Prague
Born in the year 1211, Princess Agnes (or Anežka in Czech) was predestined by birth to live a life of luxury at one of Europe’s royal courts. Yet, inspired by other religious figures of her time, she dedicated her life to service and sacrifice.
[...]
So this woman who could have influenced not only the fate of the Czech lands but the whole of Central Europe devoted her attention to charity and care for the sick and poor, working in two hospitals in Prague.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_of_Bohemia

They are not royals, just wizards. Not relevant to these forums.;)

They were NOT wizards but priests - the Magi - were the priestly group in ancient Persia. They are also referred to as the Three Kings so they do belong in a royal forum.

They were NOT wizards but priests - the Magi - were the priestly group in ancient Persia. They are also referred to as the Three Kings so they do belong in a royal forum.
You are free to discuss any legendary priests, or kings, or gods you like.:flowers:
The real news is that Hildegard of Bingen, a woman of noble (not royal) birth will be proclaimed a Doctor of the Church in 2012.
Brilliant news!

Wenceslas: A Goodhearted King And His Popular Carol : NPR
Wenceslas was a real person: the Duke of Bohemia, a 10th-century Christian prince in a land where many practiced a more ancient religion. In one version of his legend, Wenceslas was murdered in a plot by his brother, who was under the sway of their so-called pagan mother.
Following his death, Wenceslas became a saint and martyr revered especially for his kindness to the poor. Meanwhile, the catchy tune to "Good King Wenceslas" was around when people celebrated spring, but the Wenceslas legend hadn't yet met up with the melody. For centuries, it had been sung in Latin as "Tempus adest floridum" — a springtime song celebrating nature's powers of rebirth. It had verses in various languages, some of them adventurous in their descriptions of these celebrations.

There are quite a lot of saints if we turn back to Medieval times or the periods of first Christian kingdoms. St Margaret of Scotland was once a queen of scotland, St. Adelaide was an empress, St. Elizabeth of Hungary, a queen, St. Elizabeth of Portugal. St Ethelreda, Saint Melangel, Saint Vladimir of Russia,it was needed to be someone of high standing to get noticed in the medieval period.
It's interesting that Anne Boleyn was considered by some as a martyr, especially during the reign of her daughter, Elizabeth I. And Elizabeth I was kind of considered a heroine because she brought England into the Golden Age and when she came onto the throne, there was a lot of problems in England following the reigns of her brother and sister before her. England was in a pretty dark period after her sister Mary I.

Back
Top Bottom