Royal-Royal Marriages Today

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the past 5 Romanian RHH Princesses could marry Royals . No Royal wanted them i

In the past 5 Romanian RHH Princesses could marry Royals . No Royal wanted them i
I’m sure they could have married a royal or aristocrat, but life turned out differently for them. For example, one of the daughters married someone who pretended to be a member of the Habsburg family even though royal friends and relatives had warned her about him, but she went to marry and had a daughter with him and they later divorced. If life after exile from Romania had turned out better for them, they could have a royal or aristocratic match.

Last edited:
I’m sure they could have married a royal or aristocrat, but life turned out differently for them. For example, one of the daughters married someone who pretended to be a member of the Habsburg family even though royal friends and relatives had warned her about him, but she went to marry and had a daughter with him and they later divorced. If life after exile from Romania had turned out better for them, they could have a royal or aristocratic match.

Is this about Princess Sofia?

Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein has been in a relationship with an American woman for a few years now.

Didn't they break up? There was also a rumour that Wenzel was dating Georgina von Arco-Zinneberg (Princess Napoleon's younger sister).

Didn't they break up? There was also a rumour that Wenzel was dating Georgina von Arco-Zinneberg (Princess Napoleon's younger sister).

Didn't know about this rumor of a relationship with Georgina von Arco-Zinneberg. It was good that there would soon be an announcement of Wenzel's engagement. :flowers:

On the thread for Wenzel, Marie-Caroline, Georg and Nikolaus, someone said he and his American girlfriend did breakup but got back together at some point. It’s possibly that Wenzel has dated or knows of Georgiana, but there’s been no picture of them together. Plus Georgiana isn’t Jean-Christophe’s younger sister, but sister-in-law and she’s not royal (but from a mediatized family via her father, her mother is royal)

On the thread for Wenzel, Marie-Caroline, Georg and Nikolaus, someone said he and his American girlfriend did breakup but got back together at some point. It’s possibly that Wenzel has dated or knows of Georgiana, but there’s been no picture of them together. Plus Georgiana isn’t Jean-Christophe’s younger sister, but sister-in-law and she’s not royal (but from a mediatized family via her father, her mother is royal)

I assume that's why Blog Royal said that Gloria is the princess' (i.e., Olympia's) younger sister...

And Wenzel's grandmother wasn't royal either, so I don't think anyone would complain if Wenzel married a noble (countess) instead of a royal, who in this case even has an archduchess as mother (unlike the late fürstin - whose parents were born nobles (count and countess)). Note that he himself isn't a royal either, only his mother is a royal highness, his father and Wenzel himself are serene highnesses.

For a royal- royal marriage I’d love Joseph wenzel of Liechtenstein to end up with Alexandra of Hanover and lady Louise Windsor to marry Christian of Denmark and become queen of Denmark!!

I assume that's why Blog Royal said that Gloria is the princess' (i.e., Olympia's) younger sister...

And Wenzel's grandmother wasn't royal either, so I don't think anyone would complain if Wenzel married a noble (countess) instead of a royal, who in this case even has an archduchess as mother (unlike the late fürstin - whose parents were born nobles (count and countess)). Note that he himself isn't a royal either, only his mother is a royal highness, his father and Wenzel himself are serene highnesses.
Well the main line of the Princely von und zu Liechtenstein does descend from Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie of Austria , half-sister of the last Austrian Emperor and who was the paternal grandmother of the reigning Prince, Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein. Also Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein (nee von Bayern) was born long after the monarchy was abolished and her mother isn’t royal). With the exception of Princess Olympia Bonaparte, most of her sisters have not married royals or even minor nobles.

Last edited:
It would be very interesting if any of the future Queen Regnant's ended up marrying the currently eligible heirs to defunct crowns. Several of them are in their late 20s so a bit old but not out of the realm of possibility.

Catherine-Amelia, Princess of Orange and Archduke Ferdinand Habsburg- how do you think the Dutch would feel about a race car driver?

Elizabeth, Duchess of Brabent and Boris, Prince of Tarnovo

Leonor, Princess of Austrias and Afonso, Prince of Beira

Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Constantine-Alexio - not sure how well that would go down in Norway

Princess Estelle of Sweden and Prince Carl Friedrich of Prussia

My dream matches :D :

Elisabeth of Belgium and Carl-Theodor of Württemberg.

Prince Gabriël of Belgium and Nobile Elena Maria di San Chirico. Most people want him paired with Leonor, but the utter vileness of the Spanish press is something no one deserves to endure.

Prince Christian and Princess Alexia (for the lolz)

Princess Eléonore of Belgium and Friedrich Bernhard of Baden.

Princess Gabriella of Monaco and Prince Oskar of Sweden.

Charles of Luxembourg and Charlotte of Wales. (Yes, I know she's a bit older, let it happen).

Last edited:
My dream matches :D :

Elisabeth of Belgium and Carl-Theodor of Württemberg.

Prince Gabriël of Belgium and Nobile Elena Maria di San Chirico. Most people want him paired with Leonor, but the utter vileness of the Spanish press is something no one deserves to endure.

Prince Christian and Princess Alexia (for the lolz)

Princess Eléonore of Belgium and Friedrich Bernhard of Baden.

Princess Gabriella of Monaco and Prince Oskar of Sweden.

Charles of Luxembourg and Charlotte of Wales. (Yes, I know she's a bit older, let it happen).

Intresting ideas. Anyway shouldn't Charlotte lost her place on line of succession since Luxembourg family is Catholic? And not sure could her then ever become Princess Royal.

Thanks to the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, Charlotte doesn't need to renounce her rights, she would remain in the line of succession even if she married a Catholic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013

Yes but if she is marrying the heir to a very catholic country, she'd be expected to convert and therefore be inelligible for the British throne. And her children would be catholic as well.

I don't see someone raised in the Anglican faith being all that comfortable in the very conservative Catholic Lux royal family. Even if the five year age difference was not already a sticking point for many.

Intresting ideas. Anyway shouldn't Charlotte lost her place on line of succession since Luxembourg family is Catholic?

No, she would not lose her place in the line of succession if she married a Catholic. That rule was repealed in 2015 when the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 came into force.

It would be very interesting if any of the future Queen Regnant's ended up marrying the currently eligible heirs to defunct crowns. Several of them are in their late 20s so a bit old but not out of the realm of possibility.

It would be interesting and problematic if the spouse of the head of state claimed a defunct crown, since such claims amount to accusing the current government of that country of being an illegitimate usurper, which is obviously problematic if the country over which the monarch reigns has diplomatic relations with that government.

(I do not have a source for this, but I think I remember a knowledgeable royal watcher saying elsewhere that someone once contemplated matchmaking with Infanta Elena (or was it Infanta Cristina?) and a Habsburg, but they called off the idea because that Habsburg would need to stop calling himself an Archduke if he married the Infanta.)

Catherine-Amelia, Princess of Orange and Archduke Ferdinand Habsburg- how do you think the Dutch would feel about a race car driver?

Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Constantine-Alexio - not sure how well that would go down in Norway

Afonso is much older than Leonor.

Unless she's a fellow toddler like Princess Geraldine of Albania, I don't think pretty little Charles of Luxembourg's (Royal) bride has been born yet.;)

I mean if greece was still a monarchy the laws could likely have been changed for olympia

(I do not have a source for this, but I think I remember a knowledgeable royal watcher saying elsewhere that someone once contemplated matchmaking with Infanta Elena (or was it Infanta Cristina?) and a Habsburg, but they called off the idea because that Habsburg would need to stop calling himself an Archduke if he married the Infanta.)

The rumour is that she had a short-lived relationship with Georg von Habsburg.

Even if the five year age difference was not already a sticking point for many.

Well, it's my list, so it doesn't need to be liked or approved by anyone but me. This is all in good fun.

Unless she's a fellow toddler like Princess Geraldine of Albania, I don't think pretty little Charles of Luxembourg's (Royal) bride has been born yet.;)

How could I forget about Geraldine? She's being raised Catholic, now she's an ideal match for His Royal Cuteness ?

Yes but if she is marrying the heir to a very catholic country, she'd be expected to convert and therefore be inelligible for the British throne. And her children would be catholic as well.

I don't see someone raised in the Anglican faith being all that comfortable in the very conservative Catholic Lux royal family. Even if the five year age difference was not already a sticking point for many.
she why do she need to stay apart of the line of succession if she marries a heir to the throne of another pretty sure catholic or not she would be pressure to renounced regardless by her grand father

she why do she need to stay apart of the line of succession if she marries a heir to the throne of another pretty sure catholic or not she would be pressure to renounced regardless by her grand father

She cannot renounce her place in the line of succession unilaterally. A renunciation, like an abdication, would require legislation passed by the UK Parliament and the Parliaments of other Commonwealth realms, which is quite complex.

As others have said, under the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, she can now marry a Catholic without losing her place in the line of succession. If she became a Catholic herself, then she would be automatically excluded.

I am not sure if Charlotte herself would be forced to convert if she married into a Catholic royal family. She would have to promise to raise the children of the marriage as Catholics though to have a Catholic wedding, which I am pretty sure the family would insist on. In a scenario where George is already married and has at least one child of his own (securing the succession so to speak), I don't think there would be any major objection to Charlotte marrying a Catholic and raising her children as Catholics (in which case the children of course would be out of the line of succession).

Notwithstanding the 2013 act, George is the only person in the BRF whom I do not see marrying a Catholic without creating a controversy in the UK. Other Protestant monarchs, e.g. in Sweden and recently Willem-Alexander in the Netherlands, have married Catholic women before though.

Last edited:
She cannot renounce her place in the line of succession unilaterally. A renunciation, like an abdication, would require legislation passed by the UK Parliament and the Parliaments of other Commonwealth realms, which is quite complex.

In this hypothetical scenario, Princess Charlotte of Wales could "renounce" her place in the line of succession to the British throne by simply not asking formal permission to marry, assuming she is still within the first six in line at the time. Under the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, that would suffice to exclude her and the descendants of the marriage from the British throne. Having said that, the British establishment have demonstrated that they are fine with foreign royals being in line for the British throne, so I don't think there would be pressure on her to "renounce".

I am not sure if Charlotte herself would be forced to convert if she married into a Catholic royal family. She would have to promise to raise the children of the marriage as Catholics though to have a Catholic wedding, which I am pretty sure the family would insist on.

Her hypothetical in-laws might insist on a promise to raise the children Catholic, but the Catholic Church itself would not.

Tatiana Maria; said:
Her hypothetical in-laws might insist on a promise to raise the children Catholic, but the Catholic Church itself would not.

Under the old 1917 canon law code, she would have to make a promise in writing that the children would be raised as Catholics. But you are right , that provision was repealed in 1983. Currently, only the Catholic parent has to promise that he or she will do everything in his or her power to raise the children of the marriage as Catholics, but that promise is not binding on the non-Catholic parent.

Under the old 1917 canon law code, she would have to make a promise in writing that the children would be raised as Catholics. But you are right , that provision was repealed in 1983. Currently, only the Catholic parent has to promise that he or she will do everything in his or her power to raise the children of the marriage as Catholics, but that promise is not binding on the non-Catholic parent.

I wonder if we'll ever see another brokered deal like the one between Valdemar of Denmark and Marie d'Orleans, where the boys are Protestant and the girls are Catholic.

Another option for little Charles could be the newborn Alix of Austria-Este, they would be quite a good match in terms of their royal and religious background. Yes, of course, they're related, but not so closely. If I'm not mistaken, they are third cousins- both great-great-grandchildren of King Leopold III and Queen Astrid

Back
Top Bottom