Royal-Royal Marriages Today

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, two heirs cannot marry each other, so a female William could not marry Frederik, and, in a more realistic example, Frederik or Haakon could not marry Victoria. One of them would have to renounce their throne.

No, two heirs cannot marry each other, so a female William could not marry Frederik, and, in a more realistic example, Frederik or Haakon could not marry Victoria. One of them would have to renounce their throne.

I don't think this is true. If the monarch and/or parliament gave his/her/their consent, the marriage is possible. Except for the Swedish princes, who are not allowed to marry other dynasts. The consent is not even needed for the British princes, so, as long as the spouse-to-be is not Roman Catholic, it's fine.

Last edited:
I don't think this is true. If the monarch and/or parliament gave his/her/their consent, the marriage is possible. Exceot for the Swedish princes, who must not marry other dynasts. The consent is not even needed for the British princes, so, as long as the spouse-to-be is not Roman Catholic, it's fine.

But wouldn't it be a major problem for future heirs if two heirs marry? Which throne would their oldest child inherit? Wouldn't it lead to a consolidation of the two thrones? :ermm:

Suppose, in the older generation, Crown Prince Harald of Norway had married Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark. He would have then been King of Norway and Prince Consort of Denmark and she would have been Queen of Denmark and Norway. And their first child would grow up to be...King of Denmark and Norway? I don't think that would have been allowed.

As you said yourself, if two heirs get married and have children together, their child will probably succeed to both thrones one day. But if the British heir apparent marries the Swedish heir apparent and the marriage results in a daughter (born first) and a son (born after the daughter), the daughter would succeed to the throne of Sweden, while the son would succeed to the throne of the United Kingdom, due to different succession laws. If the Prince of Liechtenstein marries the Queen of the UK (I'm talking about hypotethical monarchs in hypotethical situations) and their marriage results in two daughters and no sons, the British throne would pass to the eldest daughter, while the throne of Liechtenstein would pass to the Prince's brother, nephew, uncle or cousin.

I was always fascinated by these endless possibilities. Remember how Petronilla, Queen of Aragon, married Raymond Berengar IV, Count of Barcelona - their son Aphonse became Count of Barcelona and King of Aragon; one of their descendants, King Ferdinand II of Aragon, married their another descendant, Queen Isabella I of Castile - Joanna, Ferdinand's daughter born by Isabella, succeed in Aragon, Barcelona, and Castile; Joanna married the Austrian heir apparent and her son succeeded in Aragon, Barcelona, Castile, Austria, Burgundy, etc!

But wouldn't it be a major problem for future heirs if two heirs marry? Which throne would their oldest child inherit? Wouldn't it lead to a consolidation of the two thrones? :ermm:

Suppose, in the older generation, Crown Prince Harald of Norway had married Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark. He would have then been King of Norway and Prince Consort of Denmark and she would have been Queen of Denmark and Norway. And their first child would grow up to be...King of Denmark and Norway? I don't think that would have been allowed.

Although there is no legal objection to the possibility of two heirs getting married and creating a personal union (except for Swedish royals), the parliaments would never allow such a marriage and the consent wouldn't be given. As for British royals, they do not need anyone's consent, so they can marry any non-Roman Catholic they want.

Why can't the swedish royals marry into other royal dynasty's?
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't the swedish royals marry into other royal dynasty's?
x

Because the Swedish don't want to enter another personal union. They have already been in personal union with Norway and Denmark, but both unions eventually collapsed. They don't want it to happen again.

maybe Prince William of Wales and Princess Theodora of Greece ...

prince harry and princess madeliene sounds rather interesting

for prince william one of the casiraghi sisters (i know they r not royal,but still)

crown princess victoria with prince edward (had he not been married)

Since the "older" generation is all taken and has settled down we could start dreaming about the unattached princes and princesses. Hopefully they will find love between them rather than introducing more commoners to the mix.
Pierre Casiraghi is dating Princess Borromeo, how about Charlotte and Alexandra??

Ok,Charlotte & Harry then.What do you think?

I would prefer her with one of the Luxenbourg princes.
Same religion no issues there...:flowers:
Princess Theodora of Greece with the Prince Georg of the Hohenzollerns.
Prince Philipos with one of the Liechtenstein princesses...

There wer rumours at one time of Princess Tatiana of Liechtenstein and Prince Felipe of Spain. In purely geanalogical terms that would have been a good match. I don't know what it would have been like in personal terms. Another match with Felipe that was considered was with the youngest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Wurttemberg but apparently Duchess Diana knocked that one on the head. (Suprising as I would have thought that she would have loved to have a future King as son in law).

Few years ago I read somewhere about marriege between Prince of Wales and Queen Noor... It was around New Year and would happen in next year or smth like that.

There wer rumours at one time of Princess Tatiana of Liechtenstein and Prince Felipe of Spain. In purely geanalogical terms that would have been a good match. I don't know what it would have been like in personal terms. Another match with Felipe that was considered was with the youngest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Wurttemberg but apparently Duchess Diana knocked that one on the head. (Suprising as I would have thought that she would have loved to have a future King as son in law).

Isn't there a gossip that the Wurttemberg girl is a biological daughter of the king of Spain and so a step-sister of prince Felipe?

you mean half-sister, step sister would be if his mother sofia had a daughter from a previous relationship and then married his father.

Isn't there a gossip that the Wurttemberg girl is a biological daughter of the king of Spain and so a step-sister of prince Felipe?
The same I have thought but that I didn't dare to write...
On a side this gossip could explain the opposition of Duchess Diane to this marriage, on the other side the opposition of Diane can be read as a confirm of this gossip...
Btw, this is only pure speculation...:whistling:

The same I have thought but that I didn't dare to write...
On a side this gossip could explain the opposition of Duchess Diane to this marriage, on the other side the opposition of Diane can be read as a confirm of this gossip...
Btw, this is only pure speculation...:whistling:

yes i agree with you mafan....this is pure speculation and imo should not be gone into at all !! . i take such stories with a pinch of salt unless proven otherwise !!

sorry my friend.....:flowers:

maybe Prince William of Wales and Princess Theodora of Greece ...

I've read in some newspaper such like this: William and Theodora will be perfect match. Theodora is even a far cousin of him. But it's one detail: They don't like each other.

I wonder if it is true?

I've read in some newspaper such like this: William and Theodora will be perfect match. Theodora is even a far cousin of him. But it's one detail: They don't like each other.

I wonder if it is true?

They are cousins, some distant way. Through Prince Phillip. But it wouldn't affect them very much. :)

Third cousins, I remember...Since Charles and Constantine are second cousins.

:previous:
yes via the greek royal family.. they are third cousins. but depending on differant family lines both are cousins of varying degrees.....:D

Goodness if second cousins were not allowed to marry each other, the royal houses of Europe would have a hard time marrying their children off a generation ago.
However P Theodora and P William both descend from the British, Danish, German and Greek royal families and would be a perfect match for romantics like us...

But since nothing seems to happen between them, we can ever hope in Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia for Theodora...120 years ago a Prussian wife for a Greek King, now a Greek wife for a Prussian would-be King...

:previous: That would be lovely too.
Queen Sofia and Queen Frederika chose Greek spouses.
Then again another royal possible husband would be the Prince of Thurn und Taxis....

You could consider Princess Theodara of Greece and Denmark as 'Pure' Royal as you have to go back a fair number of generations before you get a non royal ancestor. The first I think would be the Css Lovisa-Sophie Danneskjold-Samsøe, grandmother of the Emperess AugustaViktoria of Germany, grandmother of Princess Frederika of Hanover. That is six generations back.
The problem with this is that Princess Theodara has a lot of descents from a few number of people.
Queen Victoria - 3
King Christian IX of Denmark - 3
If she were matched with any of the Protestant or Orthodox Princes there would be a fair amount of inbreeding, even for my thinking. In many cases it would double the number of descents for their children. Marrying a Catholic Prince would be much better as there would be fewer doubling up of ancestors. My favourite contenders would be in order Prince Ludwig of Bavaria, HGD Guillame of Luxembourg, Archduke Ameado, Prince of Belgium.

Going back a generation who would have been a good match for Queen Margarethe? Prince Michael of Kent?

I think the children of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg are among the most attractive young royals. Guillaume is getting married to a lovely looking girl who is not a classic beauty but who radiates charm and presence--they will have great looking children if they are blessed with these. Of course Stephanie is not his "equal" even if a countess, but more equal than a commoner. (I am just getting used to these nomenclatures, as a new member of the Forum). The most beautiful Dutch royal bride whom I have seen is the bride of a nephew of Beatrix, whose wedding is on these pages somewhere. She is not royal.

Mariel I agree with you about the children of Maria-Teresa and Henri of Luxembourg. I have only recently "discovered" this beautiful family and can't get enough of them now...they are everything a modern Royal Family should be, imo.

Guillaume's fiancee was made to order for him, his family and for the Grand Duchy.

A linguist with a Master's degree who plays piano and violin(like he does) who seems hardworking and conscientous(just like him) and who is a committed Catholic(just like him).

Whose family was ennobled in the Middle Ages and once ruled parts of Northern France.

It's almost too perfect, to be honest....I simply cannot wait for the wedding.:whistling:

Except for the Swedish princes, who are not allowed to marry other dynasts.
There were and are nothing that forbids a Swedish prince or princess to marry a royal heir or regent, what was not allowed was "må ej, utan Konungens och riksdagens samtycke, bliva regent i utländsk stat, vare sig genom val, arv eller gifte" (Successionsordningen 1810:0926, §8), that is "may not, without the permission of the King and the parliament, becoming regent in a foreign country, be it through election, inheritance or marriage". So if a prince or princess got/gets the permission from the king and the parliament there is nothing that forbids for example Estelle to marry Christian. (Although I don't think the Swedish parliament would give their permission to it, even if the king or crown princess Victoria would agree to such a marriage.)

Last edited:
Before king Carl Gustaf of Sweden married Silvia Sommerlath there were lots of speculations in Swedish magazines about a possible marriage with either princess Caroline of Monaco or princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg. As there are nothing that prevents a Swedish monarch to be married to a Catholic there wouldn't have been any serious religious obstacles for such a marriage (except from the pope/Catholic church). I think Caroline would have suited Carl Gustaf when it comes to similar interests, but she was/is eleven years younger than he and I would think that made her a bit too young for him in the early/mid 70:ies. Marie Astrid would have been a better choice as they are closer in age but I think she may have been too serious (and a too pious Catholic) to suit him.

Back
Top Bottom