Royal Patronage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

florawindsor

Nobility
Country
China
royals are usually patrons of so many charity organisations. what do they do for them? help them raise money or do they have to donate money to be a patron?

I think that the biggest thing a patron does is give publicity to the charity. When a royal attends a gala fund raiser, or makes a visit to a charity, that gives the charity publicity and raises awareness. Also when a royal attends a fundraiser people might be likely to pay more money and more people might come.

What patronages or organisations would you like to see Royals support?

Seeing as there are so many different organisations out there, I was wondering if there are any charities or groups that people think a Royal should support and why?

I would love to see royals do real lobby work for animal rights, notably working against the present disgraceful EU rules for transport of animals for slaughter across Europe - for hours and hours on end without food or water.
I wouldn't mind if these activities transgressed the rules of being non-political that applies to most royals.

I would like more Royals involved in Microcredit Programs. Many Royals already are, which only emphasizes the importance of the Program. But more popular names would always be welcomed.

Other important Programs, in my opinion, are Enviromental Programs. I think only Prince Charles and Prince Albert are seriously involved in them (forgive me if I'm wrong). This is an issue that, imo, needs as much support as possible, especially from those, who are in position of power/influence.

UserDane said:
I would love to see royals do real lobby work for animal rights, notably working against the present disgraceful EU rules for transport of animals for slaughter across Europe - for hours and hours on end without food or water.
I wouldn't mind if these activities transgressed the rules of being non-political that applies to most royals.
I tend not to rate animal charities in my own list of priorities. However, do you have any details, as I was under the impression the EU had revised the rules for transport?

Theoretically I think the different patronages of the various royals cover most.
And what I consider important, they (at least a good many) reflect what is important to the particular country or the royal.
eg. WA-Netherlands-watermanagement or immigration issues for Maxima and Mary. As well as childrens nutrition and obesity start to become issues in northern Europe and for ex. Mary has taken up that patronage in Denmark.
I would love for Frederic of Denmark to take up something on environmental issues, considering that Greenland as part of Denmark is in particular danger. (But than I would actually love for Frederic to take up any topic at all that is not related to his sports hobbies and that he indeed persues in earnest.)

Little_star said:
I tend not to rate animal charities in my own list of priorities. However, do you have any details, as I was under the impression the EU had revised the rules for transport?
It seems that a Danish proposal for a minimum transportation time of 8 hours will not go through - even though there does seem to be more awareness of the conditions of animal transportation within the EU.
I am not generally more 'into' animal rights than rights for human beings - but I do feel that our treatment of slaughter animals are often unbelievably unethical and cruel - and would be a worthy cause for royal attention.

Personally I like it best when the royals are supporting a cause of (weaker) groups in society that are in minority/ under 'fire' etc. Like unemployed youngsters, immigrants, elderly, illiterate etc.
Though it is admirable that many royals are active internationally I think that the focus should always stay on the national interest firstly, and secondly on the international issues.
I also do not usually like economic missions, which makes these royals seem like a glorified marketing/PR manager.

UserDane said:
It seems that a Danish proposal for a minimum transportation time of 8 hours will not go through - even though there does seem to be more awareness of the conditions of animal transportation within the EU.
I wasn't aware of the Danish proposals, I can recall protests in the mid-90's here regarding animal transportation. I just assumed it was dealt with as you hear so little about it now.

Userdane said:
I am not generally more 'into' animal rights than rights for human beings - but I do feel that our treatment of slaughter animals are often unbelievably unethical and cruel - and would be a worthy cause for royal attention.
I suppose I share your viewpoint because while animal charities aren't the first I think of, the conditions some are kept in can be very cruel.

I'm not sure if members of the British Royal Family are involved with similar charities, if not I think this could be a good candidate.

Personal debt is growing in the UK and the number declaring themselves bankrupt is at its highest ever. A Royal patron may well boost the profile.
CCCS -

That is happening everywhere in the Western world, sadly. It would be great to see any royal getting involved in such a less-traditional cause.

I agree, Marengo, especially as it is a problem. Admittedly it's not as glamorous or trendy as other causes but it is equally important.

fee said:
I would love for Frederic of Denmark to take up something on environmental issues, considering that Greenland as part of Denmark is in particular danger. (But than I would actually love for Frederic to take up any topic at all that is not related to his sports hobbies and that he indeed persues in earnest.)
I agree, I've read several articles that paint a very grim picture for the future of Greenland, as the future king I think it's vital for Fred to take up such a cause.

Serious, heavy-duty environmental issues and human trafficking.

If I had that much power, I would actually try and use it to accomplish something. I am always sort of sad to notice that most royals prefer light-weight, non-populistic issues (like, pardon me, the microcredit). I for example like Prince Charles for speaking out for the environment - even if it doesn't improve his popularity.

What I have also noticed is that most royal women support "soft" issues, while royal men are more into environment and heavies things. I just cannot believe we are still that sexist.

Priority today is to support something against social exclusion. I wish some of the Royals could work for the unity of the family, and the improvement of the education...oh, and of course they could also support any organization who cares about homeless or people lossing their jobs. These are our forgotten people. Royal must think about them.

Vanesa.

lisamaria said:
Serious, heavy-duty environmental issues and human trafficking.

If I had that much power, I would actually try and use it to accomplish something. I am always sort of sad to notice that most royals prefer light-weight, non-populistic issues (like, pardon me, the microcredit). I for example like Prince Charles for speaking out for the environment - even if it doesn't improve his popularity.
What's lightweight about microcredit? It's an incredibly important issue in the developing world and has helped change the lives of millions of people.

Vanesa said:
oh, and of course they could also support any organization who cares about homeless or people lossing their jobs. These are our forgotten people. Royal must think about them.

Vanesa.
I think your last comment is very true, I know Diana was very involved with charities for the homeless. I'm not sure if any of the other Royals are though.

Little_star said:
What's lightweight about microcredit? It's an incredibly important issue in the developing world and has helped change the lives of millions of people.

Lightweight may be a wrong word, I admit. But I just am quite skeptical about microcredits in general (and I don't aim my attitude in any person particularly), and here are some reasons why I don't put them on top of my list.

There is a multitude of problems involved in the scheme, most notably that it is business - charitable business, yes, but still business. The numbers used to promote the credits don't necessarily reflect the success rate - poor people with very small business ventures often become dependant on the bank (Grameen has a particularly high amount of 2nd/3rd/4th/...th time borrowers), rather than gaining financial independence. Failure to repay the loan leaves them worse off than they were.

Many studies also suggest that women often act simply as loan collectors for men, taking the loan in their own name while their husbands/sons get the money; those women also are solely responsible for paying back money that did nothing to benefit them in the first place. Many of the companies giving out loans operate in countries where women's position is decidedly bad; they claim to improve that position but in reality women are very much unprotected by the surrounding society and it's attitudes.

Also, in poor countries, where public services are still developing, microcredits can motivate local officials to cut money from health care and education, especially girls' education. Lack of education is, as we know, the main reason why women (and all people, for that matter) in the developing world are struggling. If they cannot read and do calculus, they cannot properly take care of their own interests, and can be taken advantage of by, for example, one of the about 10 000 organisations handing out small loans. I could keep going (indefinetely) about the advantages of education but that is another matter :)

I'm sure well-educated people with a real desire to help and develope the society can advance things through this scheme; as yet, I feel, it still hasn't shown to really change things in large scale.

lisamaria said:
Lightweight may be a wrong word, I admit. But I just am quite skeptical about microcredits in general (and I don't aim my attitude in any person particularly), and here are some reasons why I don't put them on top of my list.

There is a multitude of problems involved in the scheme, most notably that it is business - charitable business, yes, but still business. The numbers used to promote the credits don't necessarily reflect the success rate - poor people with very small business ventures often become dependant on the bank
(Grameen has a particularly high amount of 2nd/3rd/4th/...th time borrowers), rather than gaining financial independence. Failure to repay the loan leaves them worse off than they were.
I can recall hearing recently that Grameen has something like a 90% success rate. Approximately that number of women who take out their first loan will pay it back in full. As for additional loans, many businesses will take out more than one loan in order to succeed, expand etc.

It's interesting because you seem to be viewing the idea that a business venture as a negative , or at least that's the way I interpreted your post. However, I actually think that's preferable to a charitable handout or donation because it promotes long-term gorwth and self-sufficiency.

lisamaria said:
Many studies also suggest that women often act simply as loan collectors for men, taking the loan in their own name while their husbands/sons get the money; those women also are solely responsible for paying back money that did nothing to benefit them in the first place. Many of the companies giving out loans operate in countries where women's position is decidedly bad; they claim to improve that position but in reality women are very much unprotected by the surrounding society and it's attitudes.
I have to admit I haven't heard of this problem, although it would not surrpise me. However, to give you a real example, my grandmother's tailor took out a loan with an institution in Pakistan to expand her business. Since then she's never looked back, she now employs 5 other female tailors who are able to supoport their families in the long run. Without the financial help she would never have been able to do this. More importantly though she left her husband who was abusive.

lisamaria said:
Also, in poor countries, where public services are still developing, microcredits can motivate local officials to cut money from health care and education, especially girls' education. Lack of education is, as we know, the main reason why women (and all people, for that matter) in the developing world are struggling. If they cannot read and do calculus, they cannot properly take care of their own interests, and can be taken advantage of by, for example, one of the about 10 000 organisations handing out small loans. I could keep going (indefinetely) about the advantages of education but that is another matter :)
Don't worry, I'm a firm believer in the importance of education as well. To use Pakistan as an example again, microfinance is growing in popularity yet the government is investing millions in education, particularly female education. I don't think one necessarily excludes the other.

lisamaria said:
I'm sure well-educated people with a real desire to help and develope the society can advance things through this scheme; as yet, I feel, it still hasn't shown to really change things in large scale.
It's still a "new" concept though and it will take time. Most of the results are more long-term, not necessarily visible in the short-term.

Vanesa said:
Priority today is to support something against social exclusion. I wish some of the Royals could work for the unity of the family, and the improvement of the education...oh, and of course they could also support any organization who cares about homeless or people lossing their jobs. These are our forgotten people. Royal must think about them.

Vanesa.
I agree with this I know the homless and displaced are not the most 'glam' of causes but they are of great importance .I know Princess Dian had a foundation for the homeless and I think Prince Willam has carried on with it but I would like to see more of that.Connnected to that I would like to see more come out for an end to hunger.I too would like to see more about the enviorment and animal causes.Another cause I have alot of admiration for is animal assitence-animals traine to help people with disablities.It's done alot in the U.S. I don't know how common it is world wide.I also like to see music,the ars and the performing arts supported.

I like the fact that Prince Nicolae of Romania is involved in the donation of books in the campaign "Children's books to every home". Knowing how to read is important.

Osipi, Prince Nicolae definitely has to have you helping with the book campaign.
Reading introduces an individual to so many enjoyments.
A reading assignment can be enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the fact that Prince Nicolae of Romania is involved in the donation of books in the campaign "Children's books to every home". Knowing how to read is important.

Not only knowing how to read but to come to the realization that with a book, you can go anywhere into any time or situation and into any world and let the imagination run rampant while learning. I do believe that sometimes a book is also like a palimpsest. Sometimes things jump out at you that you didn't see before when a book is reread.

I'm a confirmed bookaholic and proud. :D

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden is a huge supporter of the Scouts. He has been the Honorary Chairman of the World Scout Foundation.

:previous: many royals have been involved. The queen and duke of Kent both serve, duke of Kent as president.

But Carl gustaf is often seen visiting jamborees. The couple created the Queen Silvia fund which helps support handicap children allowing them to join.

Last edited:
Princess Laurentien of The Netherlands has been active in promoting literacy since 2001.
Stichting Lezen & Schrijven was set up on her initiative in May 2004 to prevent and reduce functional illiteracy.

Back
Top Bottom