Royal Families Exchanging Gifts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elly C

Heir Apparent
City
Kingsbridge
Country
United Kingdom
I have just visited a very interesting exhibition at the V & A in London called Treasures of the Royal Courts; Tudors & Stuarts and the Russian Tsars. (see link below). It features many objects which were given by British Royals from the courts of Henry VII to Charles II, to the Russian Royals from Ivan IV (the Terrible) to the early Romanovs. Gifts on display ranged from jewellery, textiles, minatures to some wonderful silverware. Although the exhibition is relatively small, it is well worth a visit for some unusual and beautiful items of craftsmanship.

exhibition link

I don't think there is a separate thread on these forums concerning the long held tradition of exchanging gifts on State visits, so I thought it would be a good idea to start one. We could post details of the gifts( with pics) and any interesting background/explanation as to why they were chosen amd where they have ended up.
Here is one such article

Official Gifts to the Queen

A further article about aspects of exchanging gifts with details of some gifts received by US Presidents

Tokens and Treasures

A gift for Queen Elizabeth II that didn't have the result the giver intended ( Haven't we all been there?)

Telegraph

Aside from the rich Middle East/Brunei etc Royals, what does Royals exchange nowadays, i.e. at Weddings, State Visits etc?
Are these still really, really valuable things, such as grand parures, Gold etc?
Or are these mainly orders, official photos and maybe a speciality of the country (like linen/silk/embroidery/clothes, local food/drink specialities etc)
BYe Bine

Details of gifts exchanged between British Royals and Obamas

BBC

Bine - there still appear to be some pretty nice gifts being received and given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom