Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hillary_nugent

Heir Apparent
Country
Australia
Hillary's 2nd FORUM

Hey everybody just a few minute ago i was going through a forum suggesting names for Princess Mary's future children's name and as i have noticed before the names are rather conservative....is there an unwritten rule for conservative names such as Victoria, Elizabeth, Louise, Charles etc. etc. ??? And this doesn't have to just apply to the English royalties ^___^

also what names would royalties never name their children?? ^__^ and what are the strangest and unique names that royalties have out there???

hahahaha my friends say i will never be a Princess because Hillary just wasn't made for the title >__< hahahaha

Wouldn't it be funny if Gweneth Paltrow's daughter became Queen!!! QUEEN APPLE!! hahahaha

Nikolai and Felix are not royal(or common) names in Denmark. And as I confirmed a short while ago, Pauline Grace Maguy is not common for France/Monaco.

As for little Apple, in theory it is not that bad, but I can already imagine the kid going to elementary school and being nicknamed "pineapple" or "apple pie". I hope that she'll be a strong girl(emotionaly) because that future is almost certain.

In the 1940's & 50's Anne & Charles were not considered traditional royal names as they had been out of use since the Hanoverians came to the throne.

When Queen Victoria was named Alexandrina Victoria the names were very uncommon in Britain

In the present generations uncommon names have been

Zara - Daughter of the Princess Royal
Davina - Daughter of the Duke of Gloucester
Helen - Daughter of the Duke of Kent
Beatrice - Daughter of the Duke of York
Eugenie - Daughter of the Duke of York
Columbus - Grandson of the Duke of Kent
Cassius - Grandson of the Duke of Kent
Zenouska - Granddaughter of Princess Alexandra

Originally posted by wymanda@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:52 pm
In the 1940's & 50's Anne & Charles were not considered traditional royal names as they had been out of use since the Hanoverians came to the throne.

When Queen Victoria was named Alexandrina Victoria the names were very uncommon in Britain

Anne, Charles and Helen have been around for a while....

but i like Eugenie and Zara ^__^

My point was that they are, or have been in the past, uncommon in Royal circles.

So there's a chance (however slim) that Fred and Mary's daughter will be named Olivia (pls pls pls) :p :p :lol:

I will not rest until that yet to be born princess is named Olivia!! (ok that sounds wierd! :lol: )

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 16th, 2004 - 6:01 am
So there's a chance (however slim) that Fred and Mary's daughter will be named Olivia (pls pls pls) :p :p :lol:

I will not rest until that yet to be born princess is named Olivia!! (ok that sounds wierd! :lol: )
hahahaha...why Olivia?? why not Hillary??? hahaha ^___^

Originally posted by wymanda@Jun 13th, 2004 - 8:52 pm

Beatrice and Eugenie are the only royals of that whole list.

Originally posted by renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am
Nikolai and Felix are not royal(or common) names in Denmark. And as I confirmed a short while ago, Pauline Grace Maguy is not common for France/Monaco.

Not to be fussy or anything, but Nikolai is actually quite common here in Denmark, it might not be royal but it's common. Actually when Alexandra and Joachim chose that name, it was already very popular. Offcourse that popularity has increased a lot (read= TONS) since...

An unusual name by the way is Prince Joachim. "Joachim" is neither royal nor that common in Denmark (it isn't totally unusual, but we do have a lot more of those Christians and Frederiks runnig around in all ages)

Originally posted by MarieLouise@Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:43 pm
Not to be fussy or anything, but Nikolai is actually quite common here in Denmark, it might not be royal but it's common. Actually when Alexandra and Joachim chose that name, it was already very popular. Offcourse that popularity has increased a lot (read= TONS) since...
Thanks for telling me! I read that wrong information somewhere. I'm glad you cleared that out! :flower:

Re Charles. Do you mean they are Royal names or that they are in fact "royal" because if you are I'm getting a bit fed up of not being able to include the granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth ( i.e. Zara Phillips) in these discussions.

As for little Apple, in theory it is not that bad, but I can already imagine the kid going to elementary school and being nicknamed "pineapple" or "apple pie". I hope that she'll be a strong girl(emotionaly) because that future is almost certain.
I recently read an article written by Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof about Apple. She gave a clear insight what it is to be named after a fruit :ninja: It has been quite though for her

That's why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;)

Pauline is a very common name in France and Belgium B)

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

Pauline is a very common name in France and Belgium B) [/b][/quote]
But not Pauline Grace Maguy

Originally posted by Georgia@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:54 pm
Re Charles. Do you mean they are Royal names or that they are in fact "royal" because if you are I'm getting a bit fed up of not being able to include the granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth ( i.e. Zara Phillips) in these discussions.
It has nothing with being fed up. They are not royals, simply as that. They don't "need" royal names. If you must include a maternal granddaughter of The Queen as royal, why not include all descendants of kings and queens as royal? It must stop somewhere.

Of the names I quoted, I'd say Helen, Eugenie and Beatrice are the closest to royal names. They have some precendent.

Originally posted by renats+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-renats
@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

But not Pauline Grace Maguy [/b][/quote]
no that's true B) certainly not the combination of a french name (pauline) with and english one (Grace), I thought you were only talking about Pauline :blush:

Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm
I recently read an article written by Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof about Apple. She gave a clear insight what it is to be named after a fruit :ninja: It has been quite though for her

That's why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;)
That is so funny! Though I think Apple is a bit more innocent than Peaches... I don't know, but Peaches kind of sound X rated!

But I think I'm safe. When I have kids, they'll be called Olivia or Mary-Olivia (hah!) and Frederik.

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

That's why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;) [/b][/quote]
The name of the woman is Peaches? Wow, her parents were very inspired, weren't they? :lol:

I like unnusual names better but I think that there're limits. However I would probably give my kids one of those names that are well knowed but not very used. Believe me, having a common name can be as difficult as having an uncommon one. I find it so cool that foreigners find my name(Renata) exotic! It's very common in Brazil and every time I saw that there was another Renata around I was sssooo disapointed, upset and sometimes a little angry :cry: .

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:02 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:02 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by renats@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm
Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-renats
@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

But not Pauline Grace Maguy
no that's true B) certainly not the combination of a french name (pauline) with and english one (Grace), I thought you were only talking about Pauline :blush: [/b][/quote]
That's ok! :flower: ;) :flower:

Royal names, where did they come from

I love names and always wonder where the names come from who are they named after

whith help from great members i got this

Royal House of Norway

King Harald; old Viking-Kings in Norway was called, Haakon, Olav, Harald and Magnus.
Crown Prince Haakon; the crown prince was named Haakon Magnus and used these two names for very long He dropped the last name when he turned 18
He was named after King Haakon but Sonja's brother is also called Haakon
Magnus is also a name from past kings. One of them was Magnus Lagabøter (the Lawmaker.)
Princess Ingrid Alexandra; There was a Norwegian queen named Ingrid also Mette-Marit's paternal grandmother was also named Ingrid.
Alexandra is from Alexander, which was the one of King Olav's four names that he was known as before he became Olav. It is also the name of his maternal grandmother, and one of the names of Princess Ragnhild.
Princess Martha Louise; Named Märtha after father´s mother, Crown Princess Märtha of Norway, and Louise after great-greatgrandmother, Queen Louise of Denmark, daughter of Carl XV of Sweden and mother of Haakon VII of Norway.
Maud Angelica; Maud Angelica was named after Queen Maud but Angelica is a name they liked
it could also be that they wanted something with M and A. Märtha and Ari are big on the symbolism.
Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg; was probably named after Crown Princess Märtha's sister Astrid, but also because it's an old norse name. Her two other names: Maud and Ingeborg are from her two grandmothers.
Princess Ragnhild Alexandra; The Princess got the name Ragnhild from the mother of Norway's first King: Harald Fairhair (Hårfagre.) She is also named Alexandra for Queen Alexandra of Great Britain.

thank you so much norwegianne and Larzen

the dutch royal house

Queen Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard; Wilhelmina is of course after her grandmother. Armgard. Her father´s mother was Baroness Armgard
Prince Willem-Alexander Claus George Ferdinand; Willem = from Willem of Orange of course. After the Kings Willem I, Willem II and Willem III, he will be King Willem IV.
Alexander = Beatrix and Claus loved the name and the name is already often used in the family (in the past).
Claus= his father's name
George= also one of his father's names (full name of Claus was:Claus George Willem Otto Frederik Geert)
Ferdinand= is the name of one of his godfathers: Ferdinard von Bismarck
Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria; Catharina - Although her ancestors carried this name, she was not named after any of them.
Amalia - Like the name Catharina, many of her ancestors carried this name, however she was not named after any of them.
Beatrix - This name was given in honour of her paternal grandmother, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
Carmen - This name was given in honour of her maternal grandmother, Carmen Cerruti Zorreguieta.
Victoria - Her father, Prince Willem-Alexander, said her birth was a "victory." So he named her after the latin word for victory, which is Victoria.

thank you so much Dennism, The Watcher, montecarlo

Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso , Felipe is for the first King of the Bourbon dinasty in Spain, King Felipe V; Juan is for is paternal grandfather the Count Juan of Barcelona; Pablo is for is maternal grandfather the King Pavlos I of Greece and Alfonso is for the last King of Spain (until the coronation of Juan Carlos), the King Alfonso XIII.

Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard Beatrix was chosen because the name means 'she who makes happy'.
Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina Juliana was named after the mother of the father of the fatherland (william of Orange), Juliana of Stolberg. Louise comes from Louise de Coligny, 4th wife of William of Orange and a staunch protestant, Emma was her maternal grandmother (Queen-widow Emma of the Netherlands, nee Pss of Waldeck-Pyrmont) Marie was het paternal grandmother (Dowager Grand Duchess Marie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, nee Pss of Swarzburg-Rudolstadt), Wilhelmina comes from her mother and all the traditional Willems i the family.
Johan-Friso Berhard Christiaan David, Johan-Friso also is a family name. Stadholder Johan-Willem-Friso inherited the positions & titles from King/Stadholder Willem III. Friso comes from the province of Frisia in the north of the Netherlands, the father of JWF & JWF himself were only stadholder of Frisia, and after the death of Willian III of the other dutch provinces as well. Bernhard is his maternal grandfather, David...rumours have it that David comes from a David that the queen was in love with during the early 60-ties, an israelian sheepfarmer who Crownprincess Beatrix met when they were involved in charitywork for the people who suffored from an eartquake in Persia (now Iran). No idea where Christiaan comes from.
Constantijn Christoph Frederik Aschwin Constantijn is named after the king of Greece. I am not sure about Christoph, but I believe it comes from a relative of Prince Claus, Christoph von dem Bussche, Frederik also is a traditional name frequently used in the family, the last time for Prince Frederik, 2nd son of King Willem I. Aschwin is the brother of Prince Bernhard (Prince Aschwin of Lippe-Biesterfeld)
Irene Emma Elisabeth Irene means peace, so this also contains a wish from the parents, just before WWII ravished the Netherlands. Emma was the maternal grandmother of Queen Juliana, Elisabeth comes from Queen Elisabeth, the Queen Mother, godmother of Irene.
Margriet Fransesca Margriet (is dutch for Daisy) was the flower that symbolised hope and resistance (to the Nazi's) in the Netherlands. Dutchmen wore the flower in their coats, to show hopes for a free and bright future. Fransesca comes from her godfather, Franklin D. Roosevelt.

This maybe out of the scope of your research, but:
William Arthur Philip Louis-the William was for either(take your pick ;) )William the Conqueror, or for the late William of Gloucester, brother of the present Duke; Philip for Prince Charles' father, Louis for Lord Mountbatten.
Victoria Eugenia Julia Ena of Battenberg (later Queen of Spain)-Victoria for her grandmother and Eugenia for Empress Eugenie of France.
Marina Ogilvy-daughter of Princess Alexandra and Angus Ogilvy, was said to have been named for Marina of Kent, a very well-liked member of the UK royal family. (Alexandra herself having been named for Queen Alexandra).
A very fascinating subject!

Well I thni it was a battle b/t william (his mom's choice) and arthur (his dad's choice) for his 1st name, but his mom won.

No way that Johan-Friso also is a family name. I never read that.

Felipe Juan Froilán. The son of Infanta Elena. Felipe is for his uncle Crown Prince Felipe; Juan I'm not sure if is for his grandfather King Juan Carlos or of the grandfather of Infanta Elena, the Count of Barcelona; Froilan is the Patron Saint of Lugo and Elena and her husband are Dukes of Lugo.

Hm, I hope this works, simplified familytree, so you can discover a Johan-(Willem)-Friso (btw the poor man drowned is the Zuiderzee when he went to visit Frisia, even before the birth of his only son):

William 'the rich', count of Nassau
=2 Juliana van Stolberg
|
_____________|___________________________
| |
Willem I, Pr of Orange Jan 'the old', Count of Nassau-Dillenburg
=4 Louise de Coligny =1 Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg
| |
Frederik-Hendrik, Stadholder Ernst Casimir Stadholder of Frisia,of Holland, Zeeland, etc, Count of Nassau-Dietz
Pr. of Orange, Count of Nassau-? = Sophia-Hedwig of Brunswick-
= Amaliaof Solms Wolfensburtel
| |
Willem II, Pr. of Orange, Pr of Willem-Frederik, Pr of Nassau-
Orange-Nassau, Stadholder of (see above) Dietz, Stadholder of Frisia
= Mary of Great-Britain = Albertine-Agnes of Orange-
| Nassau (dau of Frederik-Hendrik)
| |
Willem III, Pr of Orange etc and Hendrik-Casimir II, Pr of Nassau-
King of Great-Britain. Dietz, Stadholder of Frisia
= Mary II, Queen of Great-Britain = Henriette-Amalia of
| Anhalt-Dessau