Mythical/Legendary Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhys82192

Courtier
City
Imus, Cavite
Country
Philippines
If you know some Royals who are depicted in Folk Legends and Myths , please kindly share them here. Thank you very much! :flowers:

Let me start with King Dangun, the founder of the ancient Kingdom of Gojoseon, the oldest kingdom of Korea. King Dangun is considered as the "Father of the Korean Nation". According to an old Korean legend, King Dangun was the son of Prince Hwanung, with his wife, Ungnyeo (Bear Woman). Prince Hwanung was the son of the God of Heaven, Hwanin (This name also appears in Indian and Chinese Buddhist Texts). Prince Hwanung was sent by Hwanin to earth, with Prince Hwanung's three ministers, the Earl Wind, Chancellor Rain, and Chancellor Cloud, and 3,000 helpers, and founded a City called "Shinshi" (City of God).

One day, a Bear and a Tiger living together in a cave, prayed to Prince Hwanung under the Sacred Sandalwood Tree near the cave, that they might become human beings. Upon hearing their prayers, Prince Hwanung gave them a bundle of mugwort and 20 bulbs of garlic. He ordered the Bear and the Tiger to eat only them, and that they should stay away from the sunlight for 100 days. And so, the Bear and the Tiger did what Prince Hwanung ordered them to do. Unfortunately, the Tiger didn't make it, and gave up. Meanwhile, the Bear ate mugwort and garlic and stayed away from the sunlight for 100 days, and finally, the Bear's wish was granted, the Bear transformed into a human being, a beautiful woman, which we call "Ungnyeo".

Ungnyeo was overjoyed and thanked Prince Hwanung. One day, Ungnyeo went again to the Sacred Sandalwood Tree, and prayed to Prince Hwanung that she might have a child. Upon hearing this, Prince Hwanung took Ungnyeo as his wife, and soon gave birth to a child, a boy. They named him Dangun. King Dangun is the founder of the Kingdom of Gojoseon, the first kingdom and the oldest in all Korea and in Korean history.

According to history, King Dangun founded the Kingdom of Gojoseon in 2333 BC.

:flowers:

Last edited:
The Princess Diaries film genovia country & the family name not real

That's a completely fake story.
I think Rhys is after stories that involve real royals involved in myths.

The Prince Phillip Movement in Vanuatu: The Yaohnanen believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being; the pale-skinned son of a mountain spirit and brother of John Frum. According to ancient tales the son travelled over the seas to a distant land, married a powerful lady and would in time return. The villagers had observed the respect accorded to Queen Elizabeth II by colonial officials and came to the conclusion that her husband, Prince Philip, must be the son from their legends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

It is also said that the Japanese followers of the Shinto Religion worship Emperor Akihito as a divine being. According to Japanese mythology, the first Emperor of Japan, Jinmu Ten'nou, was the great-grandson of the Japanese Sun Goddess, Amaterasu Omikami. And they believe that all of their Emperors originated from Jinmu Ten'nou. Jinmu Ten'nou established the throne in 660 BC.

Last edited:
Emperor Le Loi of Vietnam (c. 1428), is depicted in an old Vietnamese legend of the Hoan Kiem Lake. Hoan Kiem Lake is a lake in the historical center of Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. The lake is one of the major scenic spots in the city and serves as a focal point for its public life. The name Hoan Kiem means "Returned Sword", and according to the legend, Kim Qui, the Golden Turtle God living in the lake, gave Emperor Le Loi a magic sword called Heaven's Will, and it brought Emperor Le Loi victory in his revolt against the Chinese Ming Dynasty. And when the war was over, Emperor Le Loi went to the lake to return Heaven's Will, and Kim Qui came out of the lake and grabbed the Heaven's Will from Emperor Le Loi's hands, and took it with him underneath the lake. The lake was named Hoan Kiem which means "Returned Sword" (the lake was formerly known as Luc Thuy which means "Green Water"). The Tortoise Tower (Thap Rua) standing on a small island near the centre of the lake is linked to the legend.

Romulus, the First Emperor and Founder of Rome, has a twin brother named Remus, and they were both orphaned as babies. According to Roman Mythology, a female wolf (she-wolf) found Romulus and Remus, and she took the twins and raised them as her own babies, until an Etruscan shepherd found them.

Here is a picture of an ancient Roman sculpture of the She-Wolf, with Romulus and Remus feeding on her breasts:

http://www.crystalinks.com/romulusremus.jpg

Last edited:

This thread is for Royals who are involved in Folk Legends and Myths. If you know any of these Royals, please share them here. Thanks! :flowers:

Last edited:
Besides Gojoseon, there is another ancient Korean Kingdom, whose founder, is also surrounded by myths and legends. It is the Kingdom of Silla, or Shilla, which is one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea (The other two kingdoms are Goguryeo [also called Koguryo], and Baekje [also called Paekche]) and lasted from 57 BC - 935 AD. The founder and the first king of the Kingdom of Silla is Park Hyeokgeose (c. 69 BCE - 4 CE, r. 57 BCE–4 CE). The Korean family name "Park" (Hangul: 박) originated from King Park Hyeokgeose. King Park Hyeokgeose founded the Kingdom of Silla in 57 BC. According to an ancient Korean legend, King Park Hyeokgeose was born by hatching out from an egg of a Cockatrice or "Gyeryong" which means "Chicken-Dragon". The Kingdom of Silla is also referred to as "Gyerim" which means "Chicken Forest", and has its origins in the forest near the Silla Capital, which is believed to be the site where King Park Hyeokgeose hatched out from an egg of a Cockatrice (Gyeryong).

Silla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hyeokgeose of Silla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
according to chinese lore, Gaozu, the founder of the Han Dynasty was the son of a dragon

Several royal houses claim descent from Wodin, or from Priam and Hecuba of Troy. Somewhere, there's a mythic genealogy with descent from Jesus and Mary Magdalene for Merovech, King of France (through some Romans first).

Interesting topic.

The Bagration Royal Family of Georgia also claim that they are descendants of the Biblical King David of Israel.

The Emperor of Ethiopia, and the founder of Rastafarianism, Emperor Haile Selassie I, is believed by Rastafarians to be the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

pk: the merovingian link to jesus might be a recent concoction

rh: while Haile Selasie claimed descent from Solomon, I don't think he supported the rastafarian movement or their claims relative to him

I have no knowledge of how old the claim for the Merovingians might be and would not be at all surprised if it is more modern in construction. Certainly the Rastafarian legend is fairly new. I'm guessing the Bagration claim is 19th century or later, as well.

The founder of the Ancient Qin Dynasty of China, Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di, calls himself "The Dragon King". Are there any legends regarding the title which he call himself?

Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me. I also remember his magical sword called Excalibur, which he pulled out of the rock.

I believe that it is generally held that the Sword in the Stone and Excalibur are two separate swords. Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake sometime after he had already started his reign (and had pulled a different sword out of the stone, confirming him as the true king). Of course, as legend, all this stuff is contested.

King Arthur is one of my favourite legends. I just got interested in it again after playing the computer game Tomb Raider: Legend, where Lara Croft is on the search for Excalibur. Getting to wield it at the end of the game was beyond excellent! :ROFLMAO:

I believe that it is generally held that the Sword in the Stone and Excalibur are two separate swords. Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake sometime after he had already started his reign (and had pulled a different sword out of the stone, confirming him as the true king). Of course, as legend, all this stuff is contested.

King Arthur is one of my favourite legends. I just got interested in it again after playing the computer game Tomb Raider: Legend, where Lara Croft is on the search for Excalibur. Getting to wield it at the end of the game was beyond excellent! :ROFLMAO:

Ah...Thanks for telling me. I have also played a video game with the Excalibur as my weapon, and it is depicted with a stone stuck on it. So it is definitely wrong...

The ancient Japanese Queen, Queen Himiko of Yamataikoku (lived about 2nd Century AD), is also legendary. She is also a Shaman.

One of my Direct Ancestors ForeFather's King Sigurd The II Ragnarsson he was a legendary King Of Denmark Through my connection to King Canute The Great.

I do not think Qin Shi Huangdi claimed draconic ancestry. as for the title, it was probably just that. and used to identify himself with the strength and prestige dragons held in chinese culture

bodhisattvas are closer in concept to saints rather than dieties

But if Bodhisattvas are only equivalent to Saints, why does Kan'non or Kuan Yin is revered by the Japanese as "Goddess of Mercy"? :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom