The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #541  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 290
There is a real possibility that the UK of GB & NI will cease to exist, being replaced by the separate Kingdoms of England (including Wales) and Scotland. If the break-up happens while the present Queen is alive, a personal union of the two crowns would most probably be agreed upon but if Scotland becomes independent near the start of a new reign, that may not be the case. I wonder in that case if the Scots would opt for a separate King/Queen of Scots (maybe even someone from the BRF, such as The Princess Royal, as Queen Anne II, for example), continued personal union with the English crown under Charles III, or a republic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
I think there is a greater chance of an evolution towards a purely ceremonial monarchy alongside an elected presidency in some monarchies. There's no earthly reason why there can't be an elected president and a royal family in the same state. it doesn't have to be binary.

Thankfully, the days of violent upheavals and revolutions in Europe are increasingly distant, so unless there is an earth-shaking scandal, it would seem more likely for the shift to an elected head of state being 'softer', and the establishment of a system in which the royal families would be removed from the pinnacle of the state but still recognised for their cultural, symbolic and ceremonial roles. Ironically, this may open the door for a restoration of other royal families (Romania? Albania? Serbia?) to a similar role.
Why would you need an elected president? Monarchies function perfectly well with a prime minister and a monarch next to each other. What would the role of an elected president be in this case? Be another ceremonial head? Because if it is about leading the government, that's what the PM already does...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
There is a real possibility that the UK of GB & NI will cease to exist, being replaced by the separate Kingdoms of England (including Wales) and Scotland. If the break-up happens while the present Queen is alive, a personal union of the two crowns would most probably be agreed upon but if Scotland becomes independent near the start of a new reign, that may not be the case. I wonder in that case if the Scots would opt for a separate King/Queen of Scots (maybe even someone from the BRF, such as The Princess Royal, as Queen Anne II, for example), continued personal union with the English crown under Charles III, or a republic.
I've no doubt that the Scots would want their own full time resident head of state. I've also no doubt that they'd opt for a republic. Probably based on the Irish system as that's compatible with the Westminster model.
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,196
I don't think that any of the monarchies in Europe are nearing the end at this time.
Neither does Spain's monarchy, although it has had some problems recently.
Monarchies function perfectly, they are completely valid systems and have been modernized a lot in the last decades. I hope they will last a long time.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I don't think that any of the monarchies in Europe are nearing the end at this time.
Neither does Spain's monarchy, although it has had some problems recently.
Monarchies function perfectly, they are completely valid systems and have been modernized a lot in the last decades. I hope they will last a long time.
Monarchies dont function perfectly, any more than any system does. Constitutional monarchies work reasonably well.. but they are inherently unfair and there are many monarchies which are still absolute ones
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:45 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I've no doubt that the Scots would want their own full time resident head of state. I've also no doubt that they'd opt for a republic. Probably based on the Irish system as that's compatible with the Westminster model.
Is there any Stuart descendant living in Scotland now?
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Monarchies dont function perfectly, any more than any system does. Constitutional monarchies work reasonably well.. but they are inherently unfair and there are many monarchies which are still absolute ones
There are not many absolute monarchies. Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Brunei, Oman, Qatar, Swaziland and the United Arab Emirates are the only absolute monarchies. But there are also republics that are dictatorships, so none of the regimes is actually perfect.
I defend monarchies, it is a regime that is valid for me, of course I am talking about constitutional monarchies.
A King or Queen who defends the constitution and represents his country at the highest level for me has great significance.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Is there any Stuart descendant living in Scotland now?
Do you mean from the Jacobite line? The sister of James II&VII? I don't know I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 12-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Do you mean from the Jacobite line? The sister of James II&VII? I don't know I'm afraid.
Considering how awful the Stuarts were as rulers, I'd say they have no chance. Scotland's far more likley to become a republic
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 12-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Is there any Stuart descendant living in Scotland now?

There are no (legitimate) living descendants of James II or Charles II. The most senior living descendant of Charles I is Franz, Duke of Bavaria.


I hope I got it right.
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 12-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Considering how awful the Stuarts were as rulers, I'd say they have no chance. Scotland's far more likley to become a republic
Oh yes definitely. Restoration of the Stuarts in an independent Scotland is an eccentric pipe dream.
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 12-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There are no (legitimate) living descendants of James II or Charles II. The most senior living descendant of Charles I is Franz, Duke of Bavaria.


I hope I got it right.
Yes. He's a descendent of the sister of the last (reigning) Stuart King, James II&VII
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, republican, royal


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello, here I am. My interest is the future of monarchies. Mr. Midgard Member Introductions 1 06-29-2008 09:26 PM
Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip: State Visits to Baltic Republics - Oct 16-20, 2006 Skydragon Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 87 10-23-2006 03:13 PM




Popular Tags
abdication abu dhabi american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry baby names baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace countess of snowdon cpr doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii facts family life family tree fashion and style games george vi gradenigo history hochberg hypothetical monarchs imperial household intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery kids movie list of rulers luxembourg mountbatten names nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee pless prince constantijn prince dimitri prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess ribha queen louise queen mathilde queen maxima random facts resusci anne royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon thai royal family uae customs videos wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×