The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Nobility

There is a real possibility that the UK of GB & NI will cease to exist, being replaced by the separate Kingdoms of England (including Wales) and Scotland. If the break-up happens while the present Queen is alive, a personal union of the two crowns would most probably be agreed upon but if Scotland becomes independent near the start of a new reign, that may not be the case. I wonder in that case if the Scots would opt for a separate King/Queen of Scots (maybe even someone from the BRF, such as The Princess Royal, as Queen Anne II, for example), continued personal union with the English crown under Charles III, or a republic.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
I think there is a greater chance of an evolution towards a purely ceremonial monarchy alongside an elected presidency in some monarchies. There's no earthly reason why there can't be an elected president and a royal family in the same state. it doesn't have to be binary.

Thankfully, the days of violent upheavals and revolutions in Europe are increasingly distant, so unless there is an earth-shaking scandal, it would seem more likely for the shift to an elected head of state being 'softer', and the establishment of a system in which the royal families would be removed from the pinnacle of the state but still recognised for their cultural, symbolic and ceremonial roles. Ironically, this may open the door for a restoration of other royal families (Romania? Albania? Serbia?) to a similar role.
Why would you need an elected president? Monarchies function perfectly well with a prime minister and a monarch next to each other. What would the role of an elected president be in this case? Be another ceremonial head? Because if it is about leading the government, that's what the PM already does...

Old 12-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
There is a real possibility that the UK of GB & NI will cease to exist, being replaced by the separate Kingdoms of England (including Wales) and Scotland. If the break-up happens while the present Queen is alive, a personal union of the two crowns would most probably be agreed upon but if Scotland becomes independent near the start of a new reign, that may not be the case. I wonder in that case if the Scots would opt for a separate King/Queen of Scots (maybe even someone from the BRF, such as The Princess Royal, as Queen Anne II, for example), continued personal union with the English crown under Charles III, or a republic.
I've no doubt that the Scots would want their own full time resident head of state. I've also no doubt that they'd opt for a republic. Probably based on the Irish system as that's compatible with the Westminster model.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that any of the monarchies in Europe are nearing the end at this time.
Neither does Spain's monarchy, although it has had some problems recently.
Monarchies function perfectly, they are completely valid systems and have been modernized a lot in the last decades. I hope they will last a long time.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I don't think that any of the monarchies in Europe are nearing the end at this time.
Neither does Spain's monarchy, although it has had some problems recently.
Monarchies function perfectly, they are completely valid systems and have been modernized a lot in the last decades. I hope they will last a long time.
Monarchies dont function perfectly, any more than any system does. Constitutional monarchies work reasonably well.. but they are inherently unfair and there are many monarchies which are still absolute ones
Old 12-16-2020, 05:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I've no doubt that the Scots would want their own full time resident head of state. I've also no doubt that they'd opt for a republic. Probably based on the Irish system as that's compatible with the Westminster model.
Is there any Stuart descendant living in Scotland now?
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Monarchies dont function perfectly, any more than any system does. Constitutional monarchies work reasonably well.. but they are inherently unfair and there are many monarchies which are still absolute ones
There are not many absolute monarchies. Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Brunei, Oman, Qatar, Swaziland and the United Arab Emirates are the only absolute monarchies. But there are also republics that are dictatorships, so none of the regimes is actually perfect.
I defend monarchies, it is a regime that is valid for me, of course I am talking about constitutional monarchies.
A King or Queen who defends the constitution and represents his country at the highest level for me has great significance.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Do you mean from the Jacobite line? The sister of James II&VII? I don't know I'm afraid.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Do you mean from the Jacobite line? The sister of James II&VII? I don't know I'm afraid.
Considering how awful the Stuarts were as rulers, I'd say they have no chance. Scotland's far more likley to become a republic
Old 12-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post

There are no (legitimate) living descendants of James II or Charles II. The most senior living descendant of Charles I is Franz, Duke of Bavaria.

I hope I got it right.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Considering how awful the Stuarts were as rulers, I'd say they have no chance. Scotland's far more likley to become a republic
Oh yes definitely. Restoration of the Stuarts in an independent Scotland is an eccentric pipe dream.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There are no (legitimate) living descendants of James II or Charles II. The most senior living descendant of Charles I is Franz, Duke of Bavaria.

I hope I got it right.
Yes. He's a descendent of the sister of the last (reigning) Stuart King, James II&VII

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, republican, royal