Marriage to Commoners vs Royals/Nobles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How a person conducts themselves and how they treat others around them is a more clearer indication of their character than their social standing. Someone of a higher standing is given a pass for their behavior. Someone who is of a much lower standing doesn't get a pass or given the benefit of the doubt when they conduct themselves badly or treat people badly.

its a difficult subject any way you look at it the royal families esp in europe walk a knife edge in regards to justifying their existence. With no real authority in governance they dont really do anything of significance.

so marrying commoners to appear to be closer to the people to increase support or interest in them may or may not work long term.
there is that balance that they need to achieve different and special. But not too common because if they essentially become simply commoner royals.
Then whats the point of a royal family ? a elected president who is a figurehead could do the ceremonial job just as well

it will be interesting to see how the public really reacts when Elisabeth, Beatrix,Margrethe,Carl Gustaf etc start to pass and their children take up the thrones if the experiment has truly worked.

but also the changing demographics of europe will impact this as well europe in 30- 50 years is going to look alot darker and Muslim. this change is already slowly starting in the Lichtenstein Princely family.

who knows maybe the children of crown princesses and princes right now may save their royal thrones by marrying into Asian and Islamic royal families from the middle east in 30 years who knows ?

its a difficult subject any way you look at it the royal families esp in europe walk a knife edge in regards to justifying their existence. With no real authority in governance they dont really do anything of significance.

I don't think any European royal family "walks on a knifes" edge at the moment. For a lot of people they do a lot of significant things.

so marrying commoners to appear to be closer to the people to increase support or interest in them may or may not work long term.
there is that balance that they need to achieve different and special. But not too common because if they essentially become simply commoner royals.
Then whats the point of a royal family ? a elected president who is a figurehead could do the ceremonial job just as well

I believe they marry "commoners" for love, not just to get closer to the people.
And an elected president couldn't do the job just as well as the Monarch, they wouldn't have the same sense in the job.

but also the changing demographics of europe will impact this as well europe in 30- 50 years is going to look alot darker and Muslim. this change is already slowly starting in the Lichtenstein Princely family.

What do you mean?

who knows maybe the children of crown princesses and princes right now may save their royal thrones by marrying into Asian and Islamic royal families from the middle east in 30 years who knows ?

Doubt it very much.

I believe that doric44 referred to the fact that Prince Maximilian of Lichtenstein married Ms.Angela Brown, who is an Afro-Panamanian descent.

yes they do walk a knife edge if they act too frivolous or out of touch or in a way that angers the public. in one act of parliament or a referendum they could be gone Queen elisabeth was close after Diana's death

they may marry for love but these people have been marrying for centuries to acquire things or gain power not about love .
it may be cynical on my part but if they felt marrying commoners would gain them good PR i think they would do it.

the Lichtenstein family already as a Afro-Panamanian woman in the family Denmark's Prince Joachim married a woman of Anglo Chinese ethnicity

and who knows in 40 years many European countries will have large or even majority Asian and Muslim populations. it may be a natural course of things that a number of the members of the royal houses of europe marry people of eastern and or Muslim persuasion.
40 years ago no one would have thought royals marrying divorcees or single mothers would ever happen so who knows

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think that marriages between Asian, Middle Eastern and European royal/noble house will happen any time soon because the Asian and Middle Eastern royal/noble houses are more orthodox in this respect than their European counterparts. The Japanese Imperial House is likely to never allow one of their members to marry a gaijin.

yes they do walk a knife edge if they act too frivolous or out of touch or in a way that angers the public. in one act of parliament or a referendum they could be gone Queen elisabeth was close after Diana's death

So they could walk on a knifes edge, but they aren't at the moment.
Diana's death did barely anything for the republican movement in the UK.

they may marry for love but these people have been marrying for centuries to acquire things or gain power not about love .
it may be cynical on my part but if they felt marrying commoners would gain them good PR i think they would do it.

No "May" about it, it's quite obvious that they marry for love, else we would see the present crop of Princes/s marrying other royals would we not?
You have a low opinion on the feelings of royals.

the Lichtenstein family already as a Afro-Panamanian woman in the family Denmark's Prince Joachim married a woman of Anglo Chinese ethnicity

Two people in how many years of having Monarchies in the world?

I do not think that marriages between Asian, Middle Eastern and European royal/noble house will happen any time soon because the Asian and Middle Eastern royal/noble houses are more orthodox in this respect than their European counterparts. The Japanese Imperial House is likely to never allow one of their members to marry a gaijin.

Exactly my point, there is a difference between divorcees and people with different relgious beliefs.

Look they marry commoners, because we are all the same and that idea that they are better is fading. Monachies are an archaic relic that have moderized in some nations to continue to exist, but they know what line they have to walk. Also, marriage between other royalties do not matter anymore, no one makes alliances that way. They can't. They are just figureheads.

You wonder when there were marriages for alliances or to better the relationship of the two countries if this worked all the time? I guess sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. Even among families you have people who fight with each other all the time or who just don't get along. Royals are no different in this regard.

Marriage Between Royalty And Commoners

Do you think that marriages between commoners and royals really work or is it fraught with problems? I don't mean like commoners as in aristocrats who aren't royal, but commoners with no title at all.

Gone are the days when royalty had to marry royalty in terms of accepted laws and traditions. Very often these were arranged marriages which headed for disaster and extra-marital affairs anyway. I personally feel that marriages between commoners and royals can work, provided the non-royal party is from a "fairly suitable" or "stable" background. I think a lot of East European monarchies have already proved this. Once an engagement or marriage takes place, the couple will automatically be in the media and will have to cope with the public eye. If they can be encouraging role models to society with strong family values, it will just prove that the marriage was then totally worthwhile

Last edited:
Do you think that marriages between commoners and royals really work or is it fraught with problems? I don't mean like commoners as in aristocrats who aren't royal, but commoners with no title at all.

There have been quite a few that seem to be working, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands.

I believe that the failure of the Diana & Charles marriage (Diana being the only aristocrat apart from Mathilde among the heir to the throne generation) only opened the door for all those royal-commoner marriages we see these days.

I doubt that some of the ladies would be around today as CPs (drug past, divorcee) had the Charles & Diana union been a shining success.

There have been quite a few that seem to be working, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands.

And Denmark

Well, not sure about that one.
Prince Joachim married a commoner and that didn't work out well.

Weeeeeell, I was thinking of the CP couple :whistling::flowers:

Why? What would give you the impression that this marriage isn't working?

I think FasterB was referring to the success of the CP of Denmark's marriage.

To the old generation the only marriages in Europe between commoner and royals was Norway and Sweden. They worked, but we can not know if they really worked or if they last just because divorce was not usual ath this time and this position.

In the actual generation, into reigning houses, most of marriages are "mixed":
Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Spain and now UK
I would say they are ALL mixed, except Belgium, as Mathilde come from a high aristocratic family.
So we do not have enough time to say if they work or not, most of these weddings are not older that 10 years.

Prince Edward ,Earl of Wessex and the Countess of Wessex is married for 12 years and it works IMO :)
Sophie was a commoner ;)

Yes I say commoner/royal marriages work it depends on the two people who are involuved look at the Grand Ducal Couple of Luxembourg.Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa have been married 30 years.And the grand duchess was born a commoner also.

Last edited:
Commoner, noble or royal it does not matter anymore. What people don't often realize is that royal or not rotal most people tend to marry someone of the same background.

I mean that for a prince or princess chances are that they will meet their future partner within a group that share the same interests (sports, hobbies, schools, etc...). I am not saying it has ALWAYS to be like that. But it happens that most people marry people that have many things in common. Our society believes the fairy tale that 'love and only love is what matters' but many things make a marriage succesful and love is only one.

Prince Edward ,Earl of Wessex and the Countess of Wessex is married for 12 years and it works IMO :)
Sophie was a commoner ;)

I was thinking about this couple when I opened the thread. I think their marriage is going along swimmingly (or at least based on what we're shown via pictures and articles).

Back
Top Bottom