How Elizabeth I Made England Wealthy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImKevin

Commoner
City
Nanuet
Country
United States
What was her methods that brought England to be so financially prosperous?

A strong centralized control, providing internal stability combined with a long reign.
Excersizing enough religious tolerance to eventually establish herself as a figure to rally around, rather than a dividing figure.
Starting an aggressive foreign policy of expansion, when necessary with dirty means.
Avoiding too costly wars and too many costly projects.

And luck, lots of luck!

Thus creating enough stabillity to enable economic growth.

Elizabeth I did nothing. It was England which did, with or without Elizabeth on the throne. In her era the process of colonization started. England conquered more and more land overseas and started to exploit it, at the highest possible cost for the locals and often with ruthless barbary, bloodshed and slavery.

ELizabeth by virtue of being the monarch, did a lot to advance England's prominence. She was a shrewd and cunning woman, way ahead of her time. It's the leader that sets the tone and Elizabeth became the symbol of a greater England.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Wasn't England almost bankrupt by the time of death thanks to the constant Irish Wars during the Tudor conquest of Ireland?

Wasn't England almost bankrupt by the time of death thanks to the constant Irish Wars during the Tudor conquest of Ireland?

From time to time the royal treasury was indeed pretty empty, a common problem for English monarchs before and after QEI.
However England itself continued to experience an economic growth, not least due to English ships venturing out into the oceans in earnest.
Especially in the late 1600's and early 1700's where England really established itself as an economic power in especially the Caribbian - after coming out on top after the Dutch-English wars of naval dominance.
But it was under QEI this really started.

Thanks Mulher yes I meant the royal treasury and not Englands economics.The 9 Years War between the Irish Lords and Elizabeth must have seriously depleted her treasury.

The settling of the Americas took place, and trade with the Far East. Raw materials and gold were coming up out of the ground. Hence one of the first states being called Virginia. Spain and Portugal were also very wealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom