Historical Royal Affairs and Mistresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, he did. And if he hadn't been a king, he would have been convicted of bigamy. But kings were above the law of course...

LOL:p

So, the King Fredrick IV of Denmark actually kept 2 wives and 2 families:eek: :p

How did his first wife respond to that?
Was she insulted? What about his court:D? And his general public?

Oh, my God, I'm Swedish, not Danish! But let me check if I can find something. Okay... I guess she was insulted, but many kings and princes cheated on their wives back in the day, so it wasn't unusual for a princess or a queen to share her husband with other women. Examples of queens, who had to share their husbands with mistresses, was the Brittish queen Alexandra of Denmark, the Swedish queens Josephine of Leuchtenberg and Louise of the Netherlands and the French queen Marie Therese of Spain. There wasn't much for a royal woman to do. The royal marriages were just matters of politics, and love was seldom involved at all. And the men wanted to take advantage of their power.

Ok, but I wonder now is it true though?

Was it really Fredrick IV of Denmark or someone else?

Lillia said:
Ok, but I wonder now is it true though?

Was it really Fredrick IV of Denmark or someone else?

Yes it's true. Frederik 4 married his first wife Louise in 1695, and she was his first queen. Then in 1703 he married another woman, Elisabeth Vieregg, to "his left hand", where his queen was married to his right hand. The hand business has something to do with the relation to God, I don't know so much about this. Anyway Elisabeth died in 1704 i childbirth. Then in 1712 Frederik married Anne Sofie Rewentlow, after he "kidnapped" her, again to his left hand. Queen Louise died in 1721, and after that Frederik married Anne Sofie again, this time to his right jand, and made her his queen, and she is the first commoner queen in Denmark, Mary will be the second.

Sorry about this long story, but it is quite fascinating. Apparently Louise was very jealous, and after Frederik died in 1730, Anne Sofie was sent away from court, because Frederik and Louises son, the new king, hated her and what she had done to his mother.

Lillia said:
King Fredrick IV sponsored kidnapping his mistress:confused: :eek: and he then married the woman while still married to someone else?:eek: :eek:

Yikes!

Yes indeed and after his wife queen Louise died he married her :)

Lillia said:
How did she manipulate him? :eek:

And it sounds like it was obvious manipulation to everyone except him, is that right? Did he refuse to listen to anyone? :D

That is exactly right:)!

What about George IV who married a catholic, Mrs. Fitzherbert, in secret and later had to divorce her because his parents the king and queen found out and had already planned an alliance with Caroline of Brunswick?

Kelly said:
What about George IV who married a catholic, Mrs. Fitzherbert, in secret and later had to divorce her because his parents the king and queen found out and had already planned an alliance with Caroline of Brunswick?
He wouldn't have had to divorce Mrs Fitzherbert because under the Royal Marriages Act such a marriage was neither legal nor recognised, and therefore did not exist.

Lillia said:
Wow:p :)

thanks for that story Avalon!

Very interesting:D

But if he was having a generally happy life, why was there plots to kill him? Did his public accept Kate and their children?

Thanks, though now I look back at what I wrote, it seems awfully long and boring. :eek:
The Russian public at the time (I mean people) would accept anything that the Tzar would tell them to. Yes, they accepted Kate, and so did the court. Alexander was not killed because of his private life. It was the political situation. I am not quite sure how to expalin that, simply because I don't understand it. Even the terrorists had to admit that there was nothing wrong about the Tzar, that he was a good man and did a lot of good things for the country. The only think they had against him was that he was a Tzar and therefore had to die. It was more of an anti-monarchist movement.

Louise said:
Then in 1712 Frederik married Anne Sofie Rewentlow, after he "kidnapped" her, again to his left hand. Queen Louise died in 1721, and after that Frederik married Anne Sofie again, this time to his right jand, and made her his queen, and she is the first commoner queen in Denmark, Mary will be the second.

I thought the Rewentlow were counts in Denmark. Not exactly royal but not exactly commoner either.

ysbel said:
I thought the Rewentlow were counts in Denmark. Not exactly royal but not exactly commoner either.

You are absolutely right, but it was not at all acceptable for the king to marry women below the stand of princesses and duchess.

Louise said:
Yes it's true. Frederik 4 married his first wife Louise in 1695, and she was his first queen. Then in 1703 he married another woman, Elisabeth Vieregg, to "his left hand", where his queen was married to his right hand. The hand business has something to do with the relation to God, I don't know so much about this. Anyway Elisabeth died in 1704 i childbirth. Then in 1712 Frederik married Anne Sofie Rewentlow, after he "kidnapped" her, again to his left hand. Queen Louise died in 1721, and after that Frederik married Anne Sofie again, this time to his right jand, and made her his queen, and she is the first commoner queen in Denmark, Mary will be the second.

Sorry about this long story, but it is quite fascinating. Apparently Louise was very jealous, and after Frederik died in 1730, Anne Sofie was sent away from court, because Frederik and Louises son, the new king, hated her and what she had done to his mother.

Oh my. Yes

I have to agree that is certainly some kind of story! So I guess the new King never had an affair after all that?

What was his name and who did he marry?:D Was his marriage a happy one?

Last edited:
Kelly said:

Who was George IV? a Prince? Did he then have a happy marriage at all?

Kelly said:
That is exactly right:)!

thanks Kelly. OK, does anyone have more details on this story about Lola Montes and how she manipulated a King and embarrased him in public?

Did she make a spell on him when he saw her dance or something?

Avalon said:
Peter the Great and Anne Mons

Peter the Great is Peter I of Russia; he is responsible for transferring old-fashioned and a bit barbaric Russia into a more or less European country. He also literally built Petersburg (now Saint Petersburg), which was/is called "window to Europe". Anne Mons was the daughter of a vintner. She was initially the mistress of Peter's friend, Frantz Lafort, who introduced her to King. Peter fall in love with her and their affair continued for 10 years. The King was already thinking of making Anne his Queen, but then it turned out she was not exactly "his" Anne but had been betraying him with a German merchant, with whom she even had a daughter. Peter imprisoned Anne but very soon (in a few days) forgave her and even asked to come back to him but Anne (!) proclaimed her intention to marry to the Prussian Ambassador. She was not happy with him, he died early and she lived her life in misery. But the story goes on. Soon Peter fall in love and married Catherine Trubacheva. The Emperor introduced her as the Empress of Russian Empire but a year later he got a report that Catherine was betraying him with Wilhelm Mons (Anne Mons's brother). Mons was imprisoned but he did not tell a word about his connection with Catherine (he was not tortured). Nevertheless he was executed. The court insisted on Catherine's execution as well but Peter knew better. Catherine was the Empress of Russia and mother of his children. He forgave her. Catherine succeeded throne after him as Catherine I (not their daughter but her).

p.s. If you have any question, be most welcomed to aks them. I am not pretending to be an expert (on the contrary, there are loads of things I learn from different forums) but I do know History well because, as I said, it's my passion. :)

So Anne Mons lived a miserable life after all that -- I guess after all, being thrown in jail would have made me miserable too! What happened to her in the end?

And what about Peter? Was he ever able to find any relief from women who always would cheat on him?

I mean, not by putting them in prison?:eek:

Last edited:
Lillia said:
Who was George IV? a Prince? Did he then have a happy marriage at all?
He was a king of Britain, actually. He was the son of king George III and was the prince regent during his father's illness. His marriage with Caroline was always unhappy. They had a daughter, but after that, they separated. When George became king after his father's death, he didn't want to acknowledge Caroline as queen, but he was unable to divorce her. Their daughter Charlotte Augusta died when she was only twentyone years old, but she still seems to have been married to the king Leopold I of the Belgians, so she must have been married off at a young age or not too long before her death.

Last edited:
OK, so George IV never had a happy marriage either...

Did his wife take on others too, since she was probably unhappy with him? I imagine she would have been insulted being married to someone who did not want to acknowledge her.

Did George IV have other mistresses?

And the name Mrs.:eek: Fitzherbert, I imagine his family must have hit the roof for him marrying a married woman!

What happened to her in the end?

Did she go back to her husband?:D

Last edited:
Any one know about the King of Poland and Saxony?

Wasn't his daughter was married off to a French King or something like that?

Lillia said:
Oh my. Yes

I have to agree that is certainly some kind of story! So I guess the new King never had an affair after all that?

What was his name and who did he marry?:D Was his marriage a happy one?

Teh next king was Christian 6. and he was married ti Sophie Magdalene of Saxen-Hildeburghausen. They were wery pietistic and banned all theater in Denmark.
They were not wery liked by the ppl because they stayed at the castle all the time. When they were crowned the queen got a new crown because she didnt wanted to wear the one Anna Sophie Rewentlow had worn.

Their daughter Charlotte Augusta died when she was only twentyone years old, but she still seems to have been married to the king Leopold I of the Belgians, so she must have been married off at a young age or not too long before her death.

Charlotte Augusta married Leopold in 1816 when she was 20. She died in childbirth in 1817, but was never Queen of the Belgians (or Queen of England, she was the heiress to the throne there after all) because Leopold only become King in 1830 .

ladybelline said:
Charlotte Augusta married Leopold in 1816 when she was 20. She died in childbirth in 1817, but was never Queen of the Belgians (or Queen of England, she was the heiress to the throne there after all) because Leopold only become King in 1830 .
Oh! She died soon after her marriage then. Just as I thought.

Oh! She died soon after her marriage then. Just as I thought.

Oh yes, she had a short and quite sad existence (quarreling parents, isolated and only child, fighting to marry Leopold against her father's wish....) excepted for the last year of her life when she was married to Leopold. They were very fond of each other.:(

The story of Princess Charlotte is very interesting, and very sad. However, it's not really appropriate to discuss her in the "Scandalous Royal Affairs and Mistresses" thread.

Thanks,
Warren
Britsh Forums moderator

Katherine Howard and Lola Montez

Katherine Howard was installed in Anne of Cleves retinue by the Duke of Norfolk, a Howard. The idea was to increase the Duke's and/or his family's fortunes by marrying Henry to the beautiful Katherine. Henry was clearly disatisfied with Anne of Cleves at that time.

She wasn't up to it, having various affairs. Henry was old, overweight, crotchety, and he had an ulcerating leg wound. He just wasn't the red hot lover he touted himself to be. The last affair was with a Thomas Culpepper. When executed, Katherine said "
I would rather die the wife of Culpeper than the Queen of England." And so she went.:mad:

Katherine Howard portraits and a fuller story can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/1344/howard.html

Also, pictures of Lola Montez can be found at:
http://www.zpub.com/sf/history/lola-photos.html.

gogm said:
Katherine Howard was installed in Anne of Cleves retinue by the Duke of Norfolk, a Howard. The idea was to increase the Duke's and/or his family's fortunes by marrying Henry to the beautiful Katherine. Henry was clearly disatisfied with Anne of Cleves at that time.

She wasn't up to it, having various affairs. Henry was old, overweight, crotchety, and he had an ulcerating leg wound. He just wasn't the red hot lover he touted himself to be. The last affair was with a Thomas Culpepper. When executed, Katherine said "
I would rather die the wife of Culpeper than the Queen of England." And so she went.:mad:

Katherine Howard portraits and a fuller story can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/1344/howard.html

Also, pictures of Lola Montez can be found at:
http://www.zpub.com/sf/history/lola-photos.html.

So was Katherine Howard so open with her affairs that she did not care to be caught or not? From that statement, seems she really disliked her husband the King...

thanks for those links.:D

Are there any pics of Peter the Great and Anna Mons?

Furienna said:
Oh, my God, I'm Swedish, not Danish! But let me check if I can find something. Okay... I guess she was insulted, but many kings and princes cheated on their wives back in the day, so it wasn't unusual for a princess or a queen to share her husband with other women. Examples of queens, who had to share their husbands with mistresses, was the Brittish queen Alexandra of Denmark, the Swedish queens Josephine of Leuchtenberg and Louise of the Netherlands and the French queen Marie Therese of Spain. There wasn't much for a royal woman to do. The royal marriages were just matters of politics, and love was seldom involved at all. And the men wanted to take advantage of their power.

What's the story on Josephine of Leuchtenberg?

And Louis of the Netherlands? Was she a Queen also? Who was she married to?

Lillia said:
So was Katherine Howard so open with her affairs that she did not care to be caught or not? From that statement, seems she really disliked her husband the King...

thanks for those links.:D

Are there any pics of Peter the Great and Anna Mons?

Catherine wasn't open with her affair with Thomas Culpeper - there was only one while she was married and its been said that the affair was encouraged by her uncle to get a child on the chances that Henry VIII was sterile and would blame the lack of children on his wife. Henry had already said that she wouldn't be crowned unless she bore a son.

The first murmurs against Catherine though were about her previous sexual relationship with her music teacher while she was still a young teenager and living with her grandmother, the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk. The Dowager Duchess was old and blind and couldn't supervise the teenagers very well so apparently their sexual escapades were well known locally.

Henry appeared willing to forgive Kate at first but the Norfolks had powerful enemies who spread rumours of Kate's indiscretions all over the courts of Europe. Henry's male ego was wounded at being publically humiliated and then the affair with Thomas Culpeper was discovered.

Catherine had been indiscreet but no one could have predicted when she was a young girl in Norfolk that the King would have taken a fancy to her and once Henry VIII decided to marry, he was not easily put off. Later she was also used as a tool by her family's enemies who manoevered Catherine and Henry's pride to get what they wanted.

It was pretty sordid all the way around.

So it sounds like poor Katherine Howard stood no chance from the very beginning:(, especially with Henry VIII for a husband.

And Henry VIII should have known that a young woman couldn't have been so interested in him actually, given that rather unappealing discription -- smelly wounds an everything -- and his age:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom