Favourite Deceased Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
betina said:
I dont think that she was very tactical about her daughters marriage.
Louise was married to a prince of Schaumburg-Lippe
Ingeborg to a prince of Sweden
Thyra was never married
Dagmar was married to count Castenskiold

Am I going insane, or are Queen Louise's daughters Queen Alexandra of GB, Dagmar of Russia, and another one who married a prince on second thoughts, it could be a different Louise, if you look at the years.

Yes, I just realized whils looking at the dates and history that, the mother of Alexandra, GB etc. was a princess of Hesse and Kassel and the dates were much earlier!

Queen Louise of Denmark (1817-1898), nee Pss of Hessen-Kassel, spouse of King Christian IX had 3 daughters: Queen Alexandra of GB, Dagmar aka Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia and Thyra, Duchess of Cumberland. The eldest son of Christian IX and Queen Louise was King Frederik VIII. This Frederik married Princess Lovisa of Sweden (1851-1926). This couple had 4 daughters, Dagmar, Ingeborg, Thyra and Louise.

List of my favorite Royals.
  • King Edward II
  • King George VI
  • Queen Victoria
  • Queen Alexandra of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
  • Queen Elizabeth I of England
  • Queen Anne Boleyn (2nd wife of Henry VIII of England and mother to Queen Elizabeth I)
  • Queen Catherine of Aragon (1st wife of Henry VIII of England and mother to Queen Mary I)
  • Emperor Nicholas II, Empress Alexandra of Russia
  • Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Tzarevich Alexei of Russia
  • Grand Duchess Elisabeth Feodorovna of Russia
  • Empress Elizabeth of Austria, Queen of Hungary
  • Queen Marie-Antoinette of France
  • Queen Juliana of the Netherlands
  • Prince Rainier of Monaco
  • King Hussein of Jordan
  • Queen Alia of Jordan
  • Princess Grace of Monaco
  • Princess Diana, Princess of Wales
  • Queen Sahakanuish of Armenia
  • Queen Margaret of Navarre (sister of François I and not 1st wife of Henry IV of France)

norwegianne said:
When you have two Danish queens by the name of Louise, and they both have daughters by the names of Dagmar and Thyra... it is easy to get confused.

How very true norwegianne...I don't feel so bad now ;)

"MII"

Avalon said:
List of my favorite Royals.
  • Queen Sahakanuish of Armenia
This Queen would be unknown to most of the members Avalon; would you be able to tell us something about her?

Warren said:
This Queen would be unknown to most of the members Avalon; would you be able to tell us something about her?
Queen Sahakanuysh was the wife of King Ashot (914-924) the Iron (called so because he seemed to be tireless and not have any weakness). King Ashot liberated Armenia from the Arab dominance in Armenia. He took many victories; many of them seemed almost miraculous. His wife, Queen Sahakanuysh was from a very noble Armenian family. That was a marriage of love, though. However in the last years of Ashot’s life their married life was gloomed by Ashot’s adultery (unlike European kings, Armenian kings couldn’t cheat without punishment) and the uprising of Sahakanuysh’s father and brothers against Ashot (the main reason for upraise was revenge for their Sahakanuysh, though historians believe there were also political reasons). He, feeling guilty, went on volunteer exile to the island of Sevan.

Queen Sahakanuysh, however, stood on the side of her husband. She persuaded her relatives not to harm the country, because upraise would naturally do so, and for her sake lay down the weapons. She immediately gathered an army and went after Ashot. On the way, the army, led by her, managed to win in several important battles (led literally, because he was always ahead of the army, fighting equal to men, risking her life). But before she could reach Ashot, the island of Sevan was surrounded by a huge Arabian army. The Queen would never manage to be on time for Ashot’s aid. But the King did almost impossible, with only a few hundred men (many of them monks of the island, disguised as soldiers) he managed to win the Battle of Sevan (in 921), defeating the army of Yussouf ‘s commander (which numbered several thousands of soldiers). The Arabs, frightened by unexpected attack, thinking that the King would not attack unless he had a big army, mislead by monk, dressed as soldiers and believing that Queen with the rest of Armenian army must be near, flew.

Ashot and Sahakanuysh reigned for several more years; their reign was marked by unprecedented renaissance in architecture. They were childless, however and Ashot was followed by his brother, Smbat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margrethe II said:
Can you please pass the Kleenex tissues so I can wipe this egg off my face pdas1201? Indeed my sincere apologies. I definitly got the two confused.

Thankyou for the correction.

"MII"

Honey, don't worry about egg on your face. I have had whole egg, rotten tomatoes and other gross stuff thrown on my face:D

Indeed, its so easy to confuse people with the same names. Freddie VIII (for the lack of original names) decided to name his two daughters after his sisters, Thyra and Dagmar. Since, they weren't as popular and widely known as Thyra, Duchess of Cumberland and Dagmar, Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia; they tend to be confused with their aunts. Its very common mistake.

Last edited:
I would have to say Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg just because her passing is so recent and I kind of didn't like her when she was alive, so now I feel bad in a way.

I do love history, and I am always eager to learn more, so my llist could be long, but my all time favourite deceased royals are the ones that follow. They all have left a deep impression on me, wherther if it was through their historical role, achievements, wrong doings, personal tragedies, love stories plus, in some cases, the World Heritage works they left behind:

Historical:
Pharaoh Ramesses II
Pharaoh Akhenaten and Queen Nefertiti
Queen/Pharaoh Hatshepsut
Queen Cleopatra
Boadicea Queen of the Iceni
Charlemagne King of the Franks and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Queen Urraca I of Castille and Leon
Queen Isabel of Castille
Catherine of Aragon, Queen consort of England
Queen Elizabeth I
Inca Atahualpa
Huey Tlatoani Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin
Louis XIV, King of France
Tsarina Sofia Alekseyevna
Tsar Peter the Great
Tsarina Catherine the Great
Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French and King of Italy
Franz Joseph I Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary and Bohemia and his wife, Empress Elizabeth
Ludwig II, King of Bavaria
Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii
Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Duchess Sophie von Hohenberg

2nd half of the 20th Century: (Royals whose live I have witnessed through the media, documentaries and even movies on their lives)

Prince Rainier III, Sovereign Prince of Monaco and his wife Princess Grace
Princess Diana of Wales

I don't know if I already said this, but one of my favourite deseased Royals is
Duchess Viktoria Luise of Braunschweig-Lüneburg (born Princess of Prussia)

Emperor Chien Lung of the Qing Dynasty.

HM Queen Victoria
HSH Princess Grace von Monaco
Lady Diana, Princess of Wales
HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother

My fav deseased royal is the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. She was such a classy lady and much loved. She is truly missed. I liked her devotion to her subjects during the ww2 and how she stood up for her country.

My favs are:
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Philippe II Auguste of France
Blanche of Castilla
Isabel I la Católica
Charles V (and I of Spain) his brother Fernando I of the Holy Roman Empire (Is Ferdinand in English?)
Infanta Isabel Clara Eugenia
Tsars Alexander I and Alexander II of Russia
Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (the daughter of George IV) and her husband King Leopold I of the Belgians.

Princess Grace & Prince Rainier III of Monaco
Princess Diana

Princes Grace and Princess Diana.

King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid of Denmark

The Last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II and his family, Tsaritsa Alexandra, Grand Duchess Olga Nicholaievna, Grand Duchess tatiana Nicholaievna. Grand Duchess Maria Nicholaievna, Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicholaievna and Tsarevich Alexis.

Other favorites are Nasser es Dinh Shah Qajar, Mohammed Reza Pahlavi Shah and his wife, Shahbanou Farah Dibah, the Emperor Haile Selassie, the late Count and Countess of Paris, Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Isabel la Católica of Spain, Grand Duchess Eliza Bachiocci Bonaparte.

Vanesa.

Madame la Comtesse de Paris
Princesse Gracia de Mónaco

Of course the one and only Princess Diana of Wales. Gosh in august its going to mark the 10th anniversary.
Princess Grace of Monaco. D.1982
Queen Alia of Jordan D.1977
Princess Leila of Iran D.2001

Last edited:
Princess Diana, Princess Grace, Prince Rainier and like Vanesa the Last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II and his family.. :sad:

My Favorite Deceased Royal would be Diana, Princess of Wales. I always thought she was beautiful and it was horrible how she died. I remember watching her funeral on tv and crying even though I didn't know much about her. I will always remember her for her beauty, kindness, and the sad ending to her life. May she rest in peace...

1.Princess Grace- My all time favuorite
2.Diana,Princess of Wales
3. Empress Catherine II, The Great of Russia

RoyalKnottie said:
My Favorite Deceased Royal would be Diana, Princess of Wales. I always thought she was beautiful and it was horrible how she died. I remember watching her funeral on tv and crying even though I didn't know much about her. I will always remember her for her beauty, kindness, and the sad ending to her life. May she rest in peace...

yep

many million people in world got shock when late Diana,Princess of Wales got car accident in Paris,France what so shock! and ambulances took her to the hospital for treatment but the doctors need to save Diana,Princess of Wales when she got in operation include Diana got in accident as cardiac heart surgery,broken ankles,etc what results from doctors in Paris,Frances its so rough for doctors. When the doctors get press conferences when Diana got died too early young at ages 36 years old.

i never met Diana,Princess of Wales because she very beautiful Royals and she very glamorous she raise as future King of England dues respect of her i dont blame Diana what she wanted it.

when Diana died many people in the worlds pays respect to Diana at Paris,France and London,England and USA include New York,Washington,D.C. and lots of more in USA who remind of Diana very much deeply! but i wanted pays respect to Diana at her home at Kensington Palace or her childhood at Althorp what Diana wanted it or you can pay respect to late Diana,Princess of Wales because she very glamorous Princess they wont replace her like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom