Family relations between European royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sybilla of Luxembourg is related to King Juan-Carlos of Spain, her maternal grandmother (infanta Beatriz) is his paternal aunt.

The house of France (Orleans) is related to many other non-reigning houses, Portugal (Duarte's and Henri's mothers were sisters). Duchess Diane of Wurttemberg is a sister of the present count of Paris, Infante Carlos of Spain is married to a sister (Anne) of the present count as well. The duke of Aosta is his former brother-in-law (maried and divorced from Claude d'Orleans).

Benedikte of Denmark is aunt to the hereditairy prince of Hesse-Cassel (and his siblings). Their mother is Tatiana of Sayn-Witgenstein-Berleburg, sister of Prince Richard.

Queen Margarita of Bulgaria is a 1st cousin to the late husband of Infanta Pilar, sister of the King of Spain.

Former Kings Mihai of Roumania and Constantine II of Greece are 1st cousins. Their 2nd cousin is CP Alexander of Serbia and he Duke of Edinburgh.

The other Day i saw a recent pic Of Crown Prince Haakon on the beach with his Stepson and Prince Kryil of Bulgaria hope I spelled that right arent the Greek and Spanish Royals closely related to the Romanovs

Freedom said:
Do you know of any royals who are not necessarily related, yet have strong friendships because perhaps they holiday/vacation together or otherwise have spent considerable time together.

The Spanish & Belgian RF holiday together (or at least they used to). The former is also close several former reigning families that it isn't closely related to.

Royal Fan said:
The other Day i saw a recent pic Of Crown Prince Haakon on the beach with his Stepson and Prince Kryil of Bulgaria hope I spelled that right arent the Greek and Spanish Royals closely related to the Romanovs

One of the most notable family connections between the Schleswig - Holstein - Sonderburg - Glucksburgs of Greece and the Romanovs of Russia would be through Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Olga Konstantinova Romanova (Her Majesty the Queen Consort/Queen Dowager Olga of Greece), daughter of His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich Romanova & Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna, born Her Highness the Princess Alexandra Friederike Henriette of Saxe-Alternburg. Thus, she was the granddaughter of His Imperial and Autocratic Majesty the Tsar Nikolai I of all the Russia's.

Her Majesty the Queen Consort Sophia of Spain, born Her Royal Highness the Princess Sophia of the Hellenes carries the Romanov lineage into the House of Bourbon.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
One of the most notable family connections between the Schleswig - Holstein - Sonderburg - Glucksburgs of Greece and the Romanovs of Russia would be through Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Olga Konstantinova Romanova (Her Majesty the Queen Consort/Queen Dowager Olga of Greece), daughter of His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich Romanova & Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna, born Her Highness the Princess Alexandra Friederike Henriette of Saxe-Alternburg. Thus, she was the granddaughter of His Imperial and Autocratic Majesty the Tsar Nikolai I of all the Russia's.

"MII"
Yes, it was notable.

For the benefit of the previous poster, there were other connections as well. George I's own sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna, and thus the Greek Princes/ss and the children of Alexander III were all first cousins. Moreover, two of his daughters married Romanov Grand Dukes. One married a son of Alexander II, while the other married a grandson of Nicholas I (and thus her mother's first cousin). George's son NIcholas married Grand Duchess Helen Vladimorovna (maternal grandmother of the present Kents), who was a granddaughter of Alexander II and a first cousin to Nicholas II. Another son, Andrew (father of Prince Philip) married Alice of Battenberg, who was the niece of Alexandra Feodorovna via her sister Victoria.

Sean.~ said:
Yes, it was notable.

For the benefit of the previous poster, there were other connections as well. George I's own sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna, and thus the Greek Princes/ss and the children of Alexander III were all first cousins. Moreover, two of his daughters married Romanov Grand Dukes. One married a son of Alexander II, while the other married a grandson of Nicholas I (and thus her mother's first cousin). George's son NIcholas married Grand Duchess Helen Vladimorovna (maternal grandmother of the present Kents), who was a granddaughter of Alexander II and a first cousin to Nicholas II. Another son, Andrew (father of Prince Philip) married Alice of Battenberg, who was the niece of Alexandra Feodorovna via her sister Victoria.

Of course!!

I cannot believe I left out Her Imperial Majesty the Tsarina (Dowager) Maria Fyodorovna Romanova, born Her Highness (1853-1858) Her Royal Highness (1858-1866) the Princess Marie Sophie Frederikke Dagmar of Denmark. One of those blank moments I'm affraid.

"MII"

Last edited:
European Royalty

Before I stumbled upon this web site I did not know very much about Royals in Europe. As an American the most we hear about is British Royalty. I thought after WWII a lot of the royal families were no longer ruling. Hmmmm must have missed something in Social Studies classes somewhere.

So that is why from time to time I ask maybe seems to you Europeans silly questions. So might as well ask another one....

I know Norway and Sweden have Royal families ruling. Did Finland ever have royalty ruling? Just asking since I see there is no talk of it here....

Is there a site I can go to and read about European Royalty, past and present I find it very interesting?

There is a good website that can help you with current and past royalty. it is:
http://www.royalty.nu/

Im not too sure but i dont think Finland ever had a monarchy, they may have been ruled by another royal house such as Sweden or Denmark, I dont really know.

Finland has a history of being together with Sweden, and therefore ruled by the Swedish monarchs, or being under Russia, and therefore being ruled by the Russian tsars, I believe.

Finland is currently a republic.

The countries of Europe with monarchs as head of state would be:
The United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Monaco, Liechtenstein... (did I forget any?)

Prince Friedrich Karl und Landgraf von Hessen und Brabant (1868 - 1940) was elected King of Finland in 1918. It is said that he would have been HM King Väinö I of Finland. However, this was at the end of WWI. Germany had been declared a Republic after the Kaiser abdicated. Germany said that the Allies would never accept a German Prince to be King of Finland. Therefore, Friedrich Karl abdicated, and Finland became a Republic. A similar thing happened in Lithuania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Charles_of_Hesse

Who was supposed to e the monarch of Lithuania?

Freedom said:
Which countries' royals have close relationships, possibly alliances, with other countries' royals?
The British Royal Family and the Brunei Royal Family.

Love the picture of Edward VII's funeral. What a sight - all of the kings lined up in their medals and uniforms

Denmark's royal family, for example, experienced both a royal wedding and a royal divorce in the past year.

I believe that article is going on 5 years old.

Could it be that they're just meeting to see each other? After all, the royals of Europe are all related one way or another.

The article was printed in 2005 and Aftenposten quit putting out the English on line edition quite a while ago.:flowers:

I'm not sure where else to post this but there are two excellent resources on the European monarchy exhibition at the Grimaldi centre.

Grimaldi Forum

ditto click on video link under exhibition poster.

Today the leaders of the European Union get together in some designated country.There is plenty of pictures of these meetings available.But 100 years Europe was practically all Monarchies and the Kings and Emperors of those days would get together.Does Anyone have pictures of these meetings?when monarchs of the time tried to keep Europe peaceful and united by their blood relations and loyalties with each other.

I colorized this photo of nine monarchs taken at the funeral of King Edward VII. Other colorized versions of this photo have portrayed the colors incorrectly since they were obviously not aware of what uniforms the monarchs were wearing. each are identifiable even in B&W. All but three are wearing British uniforms reflecting honorary commissions.
[FONT=&quot]First row (standing), left to right:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King Haakon VII of Norway, KG, and Honorary Colonel [/FONT]Norfolk Yeomanry[FONT=&quot] 23 Dec 1905.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria. Bulgarian Field Marshal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King Manuel II of Portugal KG Portuguese General.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Kaiser Wilhelm II KG, British Field Marshal 27 Jan 1901.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King George I of Greece KG, British Admiral 31 Oct. 1903.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King Albert I of Belgium. Belgian General.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Second row (seated), left to right:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King Alfonso XIII of Spain, KG, British General 17 May 1905.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King George V of the British Empire KG. British Field Marshal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] King Frederick VIII of Denmark KG, Honorary Colonel in Chief of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 9 Nov. 1906.[/FONT]

Attachments

• The_Nine_Sovereigns_at_Windsor_for_the_funeral_of_King_Edward_VII final.jpg
    The_Nine_Sovereigns_at_Windsor_for_the_funeral_of_King_Edward_VII final.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 2,107
I colorized this photo of nine monarchs taken at the funeral of King Edward VII. Other colorized versions of this photo have portrayed the colors incorrectly since they were obviously not aware of what uniforms the monarchs were wearing. each are identifiable even in B&W. All but three are wearing British uniforms reflecting honorary commissions.
[FONT=&quot]First row (standing), left to right:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King Haakon VII of Norway, KG, and Honorary Colonel [/FONT]Norfolk Yeomanry[FONT=&quot] 23 Dec 1905.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria. Bulgarian Field Marshal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King Manuel II of Portugal KG Portuguese General.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kaiser Wilhelm II KG, British Field Marshal 27 Jan 1901.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King George I of Greece KG, British Admiral 31 Oct. 1903.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King Albert I of Belgium. Belgian General.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Second row (seated), left to right:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King Alfonso XIII of Spain, KG, British General 17 May 1905.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King George V of the British Empire KG. British Field Marshal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]King Frederick VIII of Denmark KG, Honorary Colonel in Chief of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 9 Nov. 1906.[/FONT]

In this photo, the Kings of Denmark and Greece were uncles of The King of Great Britain, The King of Norway was his brother in law, The Emperor of Germany his first cousin, The King of Spain was married to his first cousin and the Kings of Belgium, Bulgaria and Portugal were all Coburgs. I loved that era of royal relationships.

Queen Victoria and Family in Coburg 1894

Today the leaders of the European Union get together in some designated country.There is plenty of pictures of these meetings available.But 100 years Europe was practically all Monarchies and the Kings and Emperors of those days would get together.Does Anyone have pictures of these meetings?when monarchs of the time tried to keep Europe peaceful and united by their blood relations and loyalties with each other.

A color version of this photo was on the Daily Mail website but again the uniforms were coloured incorrectly.
From Left:
Prince Arthur Duke of Conaught as Colonel in Chief of the Prussian 3rd Hussar Regiment.
Prince Alfred Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha Prussian Field Marshal
Kaiser Wilhelm II here wearing the uniform of the Prussian 1st Guard Dragoon Regiment "Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland" of which his grandmother Queen Victoria was Colonel in Chief.
Edward Prince of Wales also an honorary officer of the 1st Guard Dragoon Regiment and wearing that uniform.

Attachments

• BBC Royal Coburg group.jpg
    BBC Royal Coburg group.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 458
Royals Who Are Related

Elizabeth II of Great Britain, her husband Philip, Carl XVI. Gustav of Sweden, Harald of Norway, Juan Carlos of Spain, Sofia of Spain - all of the shared the same great-grandparents: Viktoria (1819-1901) and Albert (1819-1861).

Margrete of Denmark is related to Elizabeth and distantly to Philip too, but not to the others, cause her relative was King of Denmark, a brother to Alexandra, later married to Edward VII, the eldest son of Viktoria and Albert.

Georg V. (paternal grandfather of Elizabeth), Viktoria of Mountbatten (maternal grandmother of Philip), Margaret of Connaugh (paternal grandmother to Carl XVI. Gustav), Maud of Norway (paternal grandmother to Harald), Viktoria Eugenia of Battenberg/later Mountbatten (paternal grandmother to Juan Carlos) and Sophia of Prussia (maternal grandmother to Sofia).

Georg V., Viktoria of Mountbatten, Margaret of Connaugh, Maud of Norway, Viktoria Eugena of Battenberg/Mountbatten and Sophia of Prussia all wer cousins.

Queen Elizabeth II , Queen Margrethe II, King Carl XVI Gustaf, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, and King Harald V are all Queen Victoria's great-great-grandchildren.

Queen Elizabeth II, King Albert II of Belgium, Queen Margrethe II and King Harald V are also King Christian IX's great-great-grandchildren.

Royal Descendants of Queen Victoria and King Christian IX.

Yes, you are right.

But: What's about the houses of Liechtenstein and Luxemburg ?
How are the related to the "famous" Royals in Great Britain etc. ?

Last edited:
Thank you, Lee-Z.

They are also related.

The world is a small village. ;)

Henri is an uncle to Queen Elizabeth II, wow.

In the end, it all comes down to the House of Oldenburg. When we go with the tradition that the father's heritage decides the name of the House his children come from, then the

are all members of the House of Oldenburg. When Queen Elizabeth dies, the UK will become part of it (no matter how they name hte house) because new king Charles' father is an Oldenburg, too.

So all people who were born either into one of those Houses or have a princess of one of those houses as an ancestor (including queen Elizabeth's descent from Alexandra of Denmark, who was queen consort of Edward VII.) are related to each other, even if through very far connections.

I'm sure there is no Royal House who does not have at least one marriage in the lines with an Oldenburg prince or princess.

Unfortunately that means they are all related with that German politician with the Nazi views named Beatrix von Storch, for she was a Duchess of Oldenburg before her marriage. I wonder what Otto von Habsburg would have said to this, as his son Georg is her brother-in-law (through Eilikia of Oldenburg, Beatrix' sister and George's wife).

Back
Top Bottom