Church Burials And Canon Law

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAfan

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
N/A
Country
Italy
Hi everyone! I guess this is the right place for this thread.

I need some help from someone who knows the Canon Law: I know that the Canon Law states that "Bodies are not to be buried in churches unless it is a question of burying in their own church the Roman Pontiff, cardinals, or diocesan bishops, including retired ones" (Can 1242).

At the same time, in recent years several members of Savoy Family have been buried in the Basilica of Superga, and some Archdukes of Austria have been buried in the Capuchin Crypt of Vienna or in the Loretokapelle in Kloster Muri.

Isn't this a contraddiction of the Canon Law? Or is there some Law I don't know that permit these burials?

And do you know some other recent episode of Catholic Royals buried in churches?

Well intresting topic; but an answer can be that crypts in Superga and in capuchin convent in Vienna are not considered churches but burial places, even if reserved to a family. (Does national laws permit to be buried wherever? Or these places have an authorization by states or town councils?)
However it seems to me to remember that princes Borghese are buried in the Borghese chapel in S.Maria Maggiore, Rome, that is definetly a church. Since that chapel was founded by Pope Borghese and the family has always been very close to the papal court I am sure that in this case there could be a papal privelege to allow it, if needed.

Yes, Borghese family members can be buried in the Borghese Chapel in Santa Maria Maggiore; in 1974, for example, Prince Junio Valerio was buried here.
Another example of Royals are the members of the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg, who are buried in the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom