Americans Who Married Royals and Aristocrats

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Romeyne Robert married Marquess Ruggero Ranieri di Sorbello, an Italian Marquess.

Martha Sharp Crawford (Sunny Von Auersperg then Von Bülow) firstly married Prince Alfred of Auersperg, then secondly Claus Von Bülow.

Just like with “ordinary” humans, royals and nobles have and do divorce. It isn’t that serious.
Technically Claus wasn’t noble because the von Bulow name was from his mother not father. He just used the name to “get to places”. His real name is Borberg

The American-born Alice Heine married twice

1.The 7th Duke of Richelieu ​(m. 1875; died 1880)
2.Albert I, Prince of Monaco, ​(m. 1889; died 1922)

Alice and Albert separated in 1902 but did not divorce .Albert died in 1922 and Alice was style the Princess Dowager of Monaco until her death in 1925.

Alice,Dowager Princess of Monaco and Dowager Duchess of Richelieu
1857-1925

I once read this book "To marry an English Lord". It's a bit tiring but you learn a lot of the background and all those marriages between rich American women and noble Englishmen

https://www.amazon.de/Marry-English-Lord-Gail-Maccoll/dp/0761171959

I am presently re-reading the complete works of famous American writer Edith Wharton, and many of her novels give you insight about the time of the socalled "Gilded Age". As Wharton was herself a member of a very wealthy American family she sure knew what she was writing about.

Not only about rich American infuential families but also about nobility in Europe and their very special situations. As she spent most of her life in France she knew much about French nobility at that time, and some of her novels who didn't become so famous as "The age of innocence" are giving you a real profound insight how society in those circles worked at that time.

Daphne Warburg married Michael Ramon Langhorne Astor

Elizabeth Patterson of Baltimore, Maryland married Jerome Bonaparte.
After they first met, Jerome was smitten with Betsy.

Back
Top Bottom