Americans Who Married Royals and Aristocrats

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danjel -

Thank You for those photos. Those are the two wemon I was talking about. Was Joan american or british? I thought that she was american.

Chanel

Consuelo Vanderbilt (1870-1964) married Chas. Spencer Churchill in 1895, in NY- she was born in New York, her husband was the 9th Duke of Marlborough- c Bleneihm Palace- they divorced in 1921. The Family was related to Sir W. Churchill and to Lady Diana Spencer.

Originally posted by Sean.~+Jan 4th, 2004 - 1:59 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Jan 4th, 2004 - 1:59 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Naut2bGrimaldi@Jan 4th, 2004 - 1:54 am
One website I read said that it's Zsa Zsa Gabor (she has a daughter by Conrad Hilton) and that she was once the "Princess of Anhalt, Duchess of Saxony" another said her husband never really had that title.  Can anyone shed light on that one.

With respect to Zsa Zsa, her husband Frederick bought his title. That is, he was adopted as an adult by a Sax-Anhalt Princess in exchange for money. As a result of his adoption he gained the last name Furst von Saxe Anhalt. So he isn't really a Prince and Zsa Zsa most certainly is not a Princess. The German titles were not transmitted through adoption (particularly in the female line).

The Sax-Anhalt line is, in reality, extinct.

Sean. ~ [/b][/quote]
Actually, Sean, I think you may be thinking of the Ducal line of Saxe-Altenburg, which is extinct; the Ducal House of Anhalt, whose members carry the collateral title "Duke/Duchess of Saxony", aren't quite extinct; in fact, the head of the family, Eduard von Anhalt, is a well-known TV talk show host in Germany. There aren't many of them left, though. Zsa Zsa' husband, real name is Robert Lichtenberg, was adopted by Maria Auguste Prinzessin von Anhalt, who apparently made her living off of adopting adults who sought her title.

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:18 pm
[You're right. I seem to get my Anhalts and Altenburgs confused often. Marlene corrected me once before too (similar names, etc.). I know of Eduard von Saxe-Anhalt. IIRC, the male line is almost extinct too? Non?

Sean.
Very close to extinction, yes.

Princess Grace, actually, was the second American consort in Monaco. The first was Princess Alice from a very rich New Orleans family, & widow, I believe, of the Duc de Richelieu.

The famous 1940s actress Rita Hayworth married the Aga Khan and became a princess. The couple had a daughter Princess Yasmin, who nursed her mother in old age and when she was ill with alzheimers.
The couple were only married for a short time before divorcing, so Rita Hayworth remained much more famous as an actress than as a princess. She starred in such movies as Gilda which was probably her most famous role. :flower:

Attachments

• pcsritahayworth2.jpg
    pcsritahayworth2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 542
Did Rita Hayworth marry the Aga Khan? I thought she married Prince Aly Khan...? Or are they one and the same person?

She married Aly Khan, the father of Aga Khan IV. He went to bed with Gilda and woke up with Rita Hayworth.

Let me see:

Hope Cook who married The Chogyal of Sikkim (it was never a Kingdom). She became known as "Hope La, The Gyalpo of Sikkim." She was born in 1963 and he was born in 1923. His eldest child was actually older than Hope. She wasn't his first or even his last wife.

Lisa Halaby who married King Hussein who, as we all know, became HM Queen Noor Al-Hussein and mother of 4 of his 12 children.

Sarah Bulter the British/American Texan who married HRH Prince Zeid bin Ra'ad of Jordan and Iraq. She became HRH Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan and Iraq. They have several children now. The Iraqi Hashemites only use their Jordanian titles.

Alice Heine born in New Orleans in 1858. Her family was super wealthy. Her mother was from a wealthy New Orleans family her father was of the super wealthy Hamburg banking family. She married Armand, Duke of Richelieu at 17. They had two children together before he died 5 years later. She met Prince Albert not long after and they were a couple until 1889 when his father finally died. Then the Duchess became Princess Alice of Monaco. She was a beautiful blonde lady much like Grace. Prince Albert and Princess Alice seperated in 1902 (never divorced).

Grace Kelly who became Princess Grace of Monaco. We all know this story. I'm reading an new (or rather old) book on them currently.

Joan Dillion is American. She married HRH Prince Charles of Luxembourg and I believe was known as Princess Charles. She is now married to Phillippe de Noailles, Duc de Mouchy. She is now Joan, Duchesse de Mouchy. Her daughter Princess Charlotte is listed as just Charlotte Cunningham after her marriage. I don't know if she is still a Princess of Luxembourgh. I don't know so much about Luxembourgh titles as other countries. I do know that the title "of Luxembourgh" is only for the children of the GD or the HGD now the others are just "HRH Prince/ss of Nassau." haut-brion.com has information about Joan and her kids.

The Middle East is just full of American and also British wives and even husbands.

Lots more who have married aristocrates than have married royalty.

Harry and William are part American via Diana.

Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill's mother was American.

The Dole's imprisoned the Last Hawaiian Queen in her Palace. There is much dispute over who is the heir now. The most likely claimant is a billionairess. It is a really sad story. The are still tring to find all the treasures that were stolen and sold from the Palace.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Apr 29th, 2004 - 5:19 am

The Dole's imprisoned the Last Hawaiian Queen in her Palace. There is much dispute over who is the heir now. The most likely claimant is a billionairess. It is a really sad story. The are still tring to find all the treasures that were stolen and sold from the Palace.
When I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon a few years ago, my husband and I toured the Iolani Palace, which is the only palace ever built on American soil. It's in downtown Honolulu. There is a volunteer organization who takes care of it. It's being restored, and they are in the process of combing the world for the original items from the house. (They have photographs of what each room looked like.) Some rooms are completely restored; others have only a table and a chair, or even just a photograph, showing what the room should look like. Our tour guide told us a story about how on one tour he'd given, a couple from Maine was looking closely at a photo of one of the rooms when the wife suddenly said, "Honey, doesn't that look like the table we just bought at the garage sale?" When the couple went home, one of the volunteers from the group who cares for the Palace went with them to examine the table, and, sure enough, it was the exact same table. The couple graciously donated it to the Palace.

I hadn't known much about the story of the Hawaiian royal family before then, and I thought the whole thing was so incredibly sad.

I saw a story about how portraits of the one of the King and Queens were discovered in a barn in Ireland. The owner had bought them from Gypsies. Luckily, the owner had a friend who happened to recognize the King and asked him what he was doing with a picture of the King of Hawaii in his barn.

Prince Andre Louis Leopold Charles Marie Poniatowski, a French nobleman and distant heir to the Polish throne married Elizabeth Sperry of San Francisco back in 1894. Sperry was a member of a San Franciscan socialite. Her sister was married to William H. Crocker (also of San Franciscan wealth). Crocker built Tanforan Park which has some fame with the race-horse Seabiscuit.

Originally posted by Perillos@Dec 31st, 2003 - 4:22 pm
Lest we forget, America's own Royal House, the Kamehamehas of Hawaii:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Hawaii/hawaiimn.htm
for goodness sake don't let the Hawaiians hear you call their royal family American. I was told that when Hawaii became a state of America not one native Hawaiian took part in the celebrations and there is a Hawaiin nation organisation dedicated to Hawaiian independence.

Consuelo Vanderbilt married the Duke of Marlborough (may or may not qualify technically as "royalty"). :heart:

Queen Geraldine of Albania had an American mother, although I don't think she ever lived in the USA.

Hélène said:
That is soo cool. I had no idea Hawaii had it's own Royal House...
Not that many people do.

I was born and raised in Kauai, Hawaii and I am half Hawaiian & half Irish. But I can tell you this, many locals (non-Haoles) do not consider themselves to be "American" ever since the US overthrew our monarchy and stole our lands from our people ; moreover, they stole our homeland for their own greedy needs!

It's a touchy subject here and quite a long story, but if you are intrested in the history of Hawaii do a little research and you will be quite shocked to learn the truth.

Take care
Kanga

Well what about Princess Lee Rawzidall-Jackie O's sister.
Angela Brown was born in Panama, but obtained American citizenship and basically lived her whole life in the US b/f marriage

susanstotz said:
there is no such thing as american royalty, you are either the one or the other.

(&americans who curtsy to the english royal family or other royals are not entirely well)

Is this because you think that Americans are somehow superior to other nations?

.....But I thought that in the Americas monarquies do not exist!! the last monarquies (or alike) were the Aztecs and the Inca Empire.....helloooo!!!

American Monarchies

Australis said:
.....But I thought that in the Americas monarquies do not exist!! the last monarquies (or alike) were the Aztecs and the Inca Empire.....helloooo!!!

Not quite.

HAITI
1847-1849: Emperor Faustin I (Faustin Soulouque)

MEXICO
1822-1823: Emperor Augustin de Iturbide
1864-1867: Emperor Maximilian I (brother of the Emperor Franz Josef of Austria)

BRAZIL
1815: proclaimed a Kingdom;
1822: proclaimed an Empire;
1889: Emperor Pedro II deposed.

Last edited:
American Danish Princess

Prince Viggo of Denmark (1893-1970), a grandson of King Christian IX, married in 1923 Eleanor Green (born in New York 1895 - died Copenhagen 1966).

On his marriage he renounced his title of HRH Prince of Denmark and became His Highness Prince Viggo, Count af Rosenborg.

Princess Viggo was a popular member of the Danish Royal Family; they had no children.

what about that thai princess who married an american guy? their son died in the tsunami.

North-American - Canadian - Royalty

I found it very interesting reading all the Americans that married Royalty, can anyone think of someone from Canada that married into Royalty??

Actually I just thought of one - The wife of the Earl of St. Andrews (oldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent (Britain) married a Canadian.

Although not quite the same as marrying one, Prince Andrew has a girfriend - Sandy Jones that he met while at school in Ontario Canada, she was invited to his wedding. Prince Charles has had a girlfriend here as well. It was also rumored that Princess Margaret fell in love with our former Prime Minister Turner, long before he became Prime Minister, but it was discouraged.

And in history we have the Duke of Kent's lady Julia from Quebec, who he married .

Last edited:
Also...Lee Radziwill, Jackie Kennedy's sister. She was married to Prince Stanislas Radziwill of Poland

Plus, there are descendants of Hawaiian royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Lee Raziwill still alive? I recently saw a picturebook about her, she was extremely elegant, even more then her sister Jackie O. Where Lee and Jackie the only siblings or do they have more brothers/sisters? Did anybody else see the documentairy made in the 70-ties about their aunt and cousin, Edith Bouvier Beale and Edith Beale?

Barbara Hutton

Hi,

Are we forgetting Barbara Hutton? The track record of "The Poor Little Rich Girl":

First she married Prince Alexis Mdivani of Georgia (who may or may not be legitimate).
Then, she married Count Kurt Von Haugwitz-Reventlow of Denmark.
Later, she married Prince Igor Troubetzkoy of Lithuania.
Still later, she married Baron Gottfried Von Cramm of Germany.
And even later, she married Prince Doan Champassak of Vietnam.

So, she has been up and down the princely, countly, baronly trail. None of these men were technically 'royal' but interesting, and classed as "Million Dollar Studs".......:eek:

Regards,
Larry

Marengo said:
Is Lee Raziwill still alive? I recently saw a picturebook about her, she was extremely elegant, even more then her sister Jackie O. Where Lee and Jackie the only siblings or do they have more brothers/sisters? Did anybody else see the documentairy made in the 70-ties about their aunt and cousin, Edith Bouvier Beale and Edith Beale?
I'm positive she's still alive. She is a contributing editor at Vanity Fair magazine, and there was an article about her in one of last year's issues. I haven't heard that she has died since. She and Jackie were the only children of Black Jack Bouvier, but their mother Janet remarried Hugh D. Auchincloss, Jr, and they had two more children Janet Jr. and James (Jamie). Janet Jr. passed away in 1985 but James is still alive, I think. I've read that Jackie and Lee stopped to both or one of their half-siblings because he/she/they gave candid interviews about their famous sister.
I have not watched the documentary Grey Gardens but I would like to.

Last edited:
HRH Prince Christopher of Greece's first wife was an American heiress - Nancy Leeds (who after their wedding took the name Anastasia).

One of John. F. Kennedy's sisters married into British aristocracy? Kathleen Agnes Kennedy (1920-1948). Known as Kick, she married a Protestant, the son and the heir to the Duke of Devonshire, over her mother's strenuous religious objections. After being widowed when her husband, the Marquess of Hartington, was killed in action in WWII, she was killed in a plane crash in France with her lover, a British earl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_family

Back
Top Bottom