Uncrowned Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hans S

City
Wellington
Country
New Zealand
What is the naming/titling protocol of former monarchs who were never crowned?

As I understand it monarchs who were crowned and subsequently lost their throne, i.e. Constantine II of Greece remain being Constantine II of Greece.

Kings who were never crowned, i.e. Edward VIII do not retain that title. So protocol would dictate that Edward VIII be known as the Duke of Windsor.

Am I correct in this or have I the wrong end of the stick? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Edward ascended to the throne and was never crowned, when he abdicated he was given a new title because he was still of royal blood. He was known as that because he was an uncrowned monarch, that was his title.

Edward doesn't retain the title King because he abdicated and his brother took his place. Whereas in Constantine's situation, he abdicated and his countries monarchy fell so no on replaced him.

Last edited:
I don't think that Constantine II ever abdicated,the monarchy was simply abolished and Greece declared a Republic.

What is the naming/titling protocol of former monarchs who were never crowned?

As I understand it monarchs who were crowned and subsequently lost their throne, i.e. Constantine II of Greece remain being Constantine II of Greece.

Kings who were never crowned, i.e. Edward VIII do not retain that title. So protocol would dictate that Edward VIII be known as the Duke of Windsor.

Am I correct in this or have I the wrong end of the stick? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Only British Monarchs are crowned,most other Monarchies have done away with that custom.

Monarchs who abdicate the throne such as Edward VIII,Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana of the Netherlands were no longer styled as King or Queen following their abdications.Edward was made Duke of Windsor,while Wilhelmina and Juliana reverted back to being Princesses of the Netherlands.

Ex King Constantine II of Greece lost his throne and Greece became a Republic,however he is still referred to as 'King Constantine II' in royal circles.

The difference between King Constantine and the Duke of Windsor is not the fact one of them was crowned and the other wasn't, it's the fact one of them abdicated and the other didn't.

When a Monarch voluntarily relinquishes his/her styles and titles (abdicates), he obviously ceases to have them. That means, he/she can no longer be considered a Sovereign or have a right to the title. Edward VIII abdicated and became The Prince Edward (title he automatically held as the son of the Sovereign); he was created the Duke of Windsor later. King Constantine, on the other hand, never abdicated; he lost his crown as a result of a change of regime.

To explain better, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands was crowned in 1848; however, when she abdicated in favour of her daughter, Queen Beatrix, she herself ceased to be a Monarch and was henceforth known as Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana.

The difference between King Constantine and the Duke of Windsor is not the fact one of them was crowned and the other wasn't, it's the fact one of them abdicated and the other didn't.

When a Monarch voluntarily relinquishes his/her styles and titles (abdicates), he obviously ceases to have them. That means, he/she can no longer be considered a Sovereign or have a right to the title. Edward VIII abdicated and became The Prince Edward (title he automatically held as the son of the Sovereign); he was created the Duke of Windsor later. King Constantine, on the other hand, never abdicated; he lost his crown as a result of a change of regime.

To explain better, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands was crowned in 1848; however, when she abdicated in favour of her daughter, Queen Beatrix, she herself ceased to be a Monarch and was henceforth known as Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana.

None of them were Crowned,only British Monarchs are crowned.Dutch Monarchs have an Investiture Ceremony,the regalia is present but they are not crowned.

Greek Monarchs to the best of my knowledge were not crowned either.

:previous:
It's true that Britain is the only current Monarchy which has a full coronation ceremony.

Greece has crown jewels which were given to Otto I, but no King was ever crowned with them. In regards to the Netherlands though, I'd say their inauguration ceremony is as close to a coronation as it is possible without actually being called one. It is not nearly as lengthy as the British one, but I still consider it a coronation.

On a side note, I always loved this picture of Queen Juliana in the Golden Coach after her inauguration ceremony in 1948.

Great Thread, very interesting

:previous:
It's true that Britain is the only current Monarchy which has a full coronation ceremony.
Although Greece, for instance, has crown jewels, no King was ever crowned with them.

In regards to the Netherlands though, I'd say their inauguration ceremony is as close to a coronation as it is possible without actually being called one. During the enthronement, the crown, orb, sword of state and sceptre are placed on cushions surrounding a copy of the Dutch constitution, with the Monarch seated on a throne opposite them as he/she takes the formal oath to uphold the kingdom's fundamental law. It is not nearly as lengthy as the British one, but I still consider it a coronation.

On a side note, I always loved this picture of Queen Juliana in the Golden Coach after her inauguration ceremony in 1948.

The Dutch Ceremony is laden with pomp but I wouldn't class it as a coronation as its not a religious ceremony and the Dutch Monarch's have never been crowned.Both the King's of Norway and Spain both had religious 'blessing' ceremonies following their proclamations,the regalia were present but neither were crowned.King Juan Carlos I had an "Enthronement Mass" at the Church of San Jerónimo,while King Harald V had a similar ceremony at the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim.I also believe the King of Sweden had an enthronement ceremony.

The Heir to the throne becomes the Monarch immediately on the death of the previous Monarch. So a coronation or any other ceremonial is not what makes them King or Queen.

I understand that King Constantine is still King as he lost his throne when Greece became a republic, but how will his son be declared king? I'm using this as an example because it is the continuation of titles etc when there is no longer an "official" monarchy that I find interesting. And are they recognised by existing royal houses? Who decides that?

The Heir to the throne becomes the Monarch immediately on the death of the previous Monarch. So a coronation or any other ceremonial is not what makes them King or Queen.

I understand that King Constantine is still King as he lost his throne when Greece became a republic, but how will his son be declared king? I'm using this as an example because it is the continuation of titles etc when there is no longer an "official" monarchy that I find interesting. And are they recognised by existing royal houses? Who decides that?

Constantine II is an ex King,Greece is no longer a kingdom,he is still referred to as H.M.King Constantine II in royal circles as a courtesy style.

My understanding is that when Constantine II dies his son will not be King,he will remain Crown Prince unless Greece restores it monarchy and makes him the king. Ofcourse many monarchists might regard the Crown Prince as a titular King after his father's death.

Crown Prince Pavlos will never be King, not even titular, unless Monarchy in Greece is reinstated.

As you said, King Constantine is a King because he was one during the change of regime, and he never abdicated. Pavlos is a different matter altogether.
I guess you could say his situation (title-wise) is similar to that of Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia; although following his father's death he was urged to take the title "King Alexander" by pro-Monarchists, he declined the offer on the basis that since Yugoslavia had no monarchy, he couldn't self-proclaim himself its monarch. Consequently, he is known as Crown Prince Alexander (although the numeral II is usually added to his name).

Crown Prince Pavlos will never be King, not even titular, unless Monarchy in Greece is reinstated.

As you said, King Constantine is a King because he was one during the change of regime, and he never abdicated. Pavlos is a different matter altogether.
I guess you could say his situation (title-wise) is similar to that of Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia; although following his father's death he was urged to take the title "King Alexander" by pro-Monarchists, he declined the offer on the basis that since Yugoslavia had no monarchy, he couldn't self-proclaim himself its monarch. Consequently, he is known as Crown Prince Alexander (although the numeral II is usually added to his name).

Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia is a very good example,hadn't thought of him!

I believe when Leopold III abdicated the throne of Belgium he retained the title and style of a King. The same in Luxembourg, when their monarchs abdicated they retained the style and title of Grand Duke/Grand Duchess. in The Netherlands it is in the law that the abdicated monarch reverts to their former status as Prince/Princess of The Netherlands, although interestingly upon their death people seem to have resumed referring to them as Queen Wilhemina and Queen Juliana.

When the Queen invited monarchs to her Jubilee celebrations, King Constantine was included. Would she have invited the Crown Prince if he had been the most senior Greek royal?

When the Queen invited monarchs to her Jubilee celebrations, King Constantine was included. Would she have invited the Crown Prince if he had been the most senior Greek royal?

Interesting, I would think so. Simply on the fact they're very close and Pavlos is Charles' godson.

I suppose it's possible Pavlos would have indeed been invited as the Head of his House.
Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia was, after all, invited - and posed in the official Monarchs photograph.

She also invited the ex kings,Simeon II of Bulgaria and Michael I of Romania.Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia and his wife were also invited as head of that royal house,so its quite possible that Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece could also have been invited if his father or mother were not available. (but he wouldn't have been there as a Monarch ex or reigning)

But if the ex-Kings have died, what about their heirs ?

We might have to wait for an ex-King to die to find that out, AFAIK there isn't one around other than Alexander.

As stated above the Crown Prince Alexander II was invited as head of his Royal House,his father the ex King Peter II died in 1970.If the ex King's of Greece,Bulgaria or Romania had all passed away then their heirs would have been invited.

Thank you to everyone who's answered my questions ...... so here's another :)

Where does the Queen draw the line? Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Greece - how far back does she go?

Where does the Queen draw the line? Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Greece - how far back does she go?

You'd have to ask The Queen that one. ;)

I'd say 1+ generation - the current former Monarchs and their current heirs. For instance, I very much doubt that, unless monarchy in Romania is restored, we'll see Prince Nicholas of Romania (heir of Crown Princess Margarita - heiress of King Michael) invited to events like Lunch with Monarchs. The Greeks may be a bit of a special case because they are close family (and I don't mean just by blood because all the others are too).

Last edited:
Isn't it simply tradition to refer to someone by the highest title they received in life even though they no longer "hold" the job? Former presidents and governors in the United States are always referred to as President Carter or Governor Pataki? So unless a country has a tradition of the former monarch taking a new title, such as Princess Beatrix, they would retain the title for life but not pass it on to their heir. Crown Prince Alexander's son Prince Peter will never be a Crown Prince unless the monarchy is restored.

Isn't it simply tradition to refer to someone by the highest title they received in life even though they no longer "hold" the job? Former presidents and governors in the United States are always referred to as President Carter or Governor Pataki? So unless a country has a tradition of the former monarch taking a new title, such as Princess Beatrix, they would retain the title for life but not pass it on to their heir. Crown Prince Alexander's son Prince Peter will never be a Crown Prince unless the monarchy is restored.

Pretty much, yes.

While higher titles may be claimed it's not common for such titles to actually be used.

For example, Alexander of Yugoslavia, is the claimant to the throne of Yugoslavia. However as he became the claimant after the monarchy was abolished he doesn't use the title King Alexander II. Instead he is called Alexander II, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia. His heir, meanwhile is titled Peter III, Hereditary Prince of Yugoslavia, despite being the heir apparent.

When restorations do happen it's typical that the numbering is based on the line of monarchs who claimed the throne, even if they didn't ever hold it. So, for example the current claimant to the Jacobite succession is Franz, Duke of Bavaria. While he doesn't actually claim the British throne those who do so for him name him Francis II. There's never been a ruling British Francis I, however Franz's claim comes through Francis V, Duke of Modena, who was called Francis I by the Jacobites.

The Orleanist Pretender to the French Throne is listed as Henri VII.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain that Peter I of Yugoslavia was the only Serbisn monarch to be crowned, and receive a coronation. I dont believe that Alexander I, or Peter II were crowned. I dont believe any of the monarvhs or princes before Peter I, were crowned, either.

No any European monarch is crowned, not even the Pope, except... the British Sovereign.

Back
Top Bottom