Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Marmalade said:
Umm...Princess Grace was a consort to a ruling monarch..

I also seem to remember Marina Doria wearing white to visit the Pope..

Princess Grace was not a consort as she was not married to a king. the term princess consort is given to a princess that is married to a king.

here is the wikipedia definition:

"A princess consort is the female equivalent to a prince consort. It is given to the spouse of a king regnant, if the title queen consort is inappropriate."

Patron

Know thou this Saint Gabriel:In that God is my champion is the Patron Saint of the Royals visiting the Pope.

Love Terrance

Duchess said:
only female catholic monarchs and female consorts are allowed to wear white when meeting the Holy Father:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege_(royalty)

while they are catholic, caroline is not a reigning monarch or a consort and the men must still wear black.

this almost correct - all female reigning monarchs or female consorts are permitted to wear white when meeting the Pope as long as they're catholic. at present, these are the only women who fit that criteria. if there are women from other countries, then they too would be allowed to wear white.

since Princess Grace was not a Queen or a consort she would not be permitted to wear white to the Vatican.

although there is protocol with regards to dress colour, many people no longer practice it. i think it means more to a catholic than someone from another religion.
But HM Queen Elizabeth II still practices the tradition or protocol of wearing black when visiting the Pope at the Vatican City.

srivishnu said:
But HM Queen Elizabeth II still practices the tradition or protocol of wearing black when visiting the Pope at the Vatican City.

HM is not catholic and can't wear white.

srivishnu said:
Yes,I am aware of that protocol.

i'm sorry i misunderstood your post. yes she does wear black and i think it's a lovely sign of respect. :)

Duchess said:
i'm sorry i misunderstood your post. yes she does wear black and i think it's a lovely sign of respect. :)
Its ok about it.Humans do make mistakes / error.No human are perfect.The Queen is known for strictly following royal traditions and protocol.The Queen rarely breaks protocol.

Iain said:
Rainier was a monarch. A monarch doesn't just have to be a king or queen, If a country is ruled by a prince, a grand duke, a sultan or a sheik then that person is the monarch.
Yes,you are right.

I must say CP Letizia and CP Victoria looked stunning their black viels!
I find the "prviliege du blanc" quite interesting! Does anyone know when it came into being and when/why these spcific countries were granted this privilege?

i heard cherie blair made an embarrasing mistake of wearing white while meeting the Pope

No problem for the Vatican

When a lady makes a 'mistake' and wears white in front of Pope, you will not hear it from Vatican diplomats. It is nice when you observe the old protocol, but it is no longer a strict requirement.

Compare it with the tradition of bowing and making révérences: on most Courts you may bow or make a révérence but it is no longer required, not even at the British Court.

The privilège du Blanc in short:

- HM Queen Sofía of Spain
- HM Queen Paola of the Belgians
- HM Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
- HRH Grand-Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau
- the Archduchesses of Austria (they do not use the privilège)
- the Princesses of the House di Savoia (most do not use the privilège)

The question mark for the future:

- HM Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau
Will she meet the Pope, dressed in white?

foiegrass said:
i heard cherie blair made an embarrasing mistake of wearing white while meeting the Pope

IMO It wasn't a mistake per se. Mrs Blair fancies herself as a Queen. The woman is very pretentious.

Personally I find this protocol for meeting the Pope rather ridiculous. He is just a man elected to an office.

Well, those to whom it matters to wymanda, are entitled to keep it. Cherie Blair didn't make a mistake. She was wearing a white suit and was giving a speech at the Vatican Museums. His Holiness heard that she was in the Vatican and invited her for a 20 minute audience. She didn't have time to change and so met the Pope in white.

And notice that when he met Queen Margrethe, His Holiness didn't wear his stole. He only wears it when he meets Catholic dignitaries.

Henri M. said:

She may still be catholic but she will be the consort of a Protestant Monarch so she won't have the "Privilege du Blanc";)

wymanda said:
IMO It wasn't a mistake per se. Mrs Blair fancies herself as a Queen. The woman is very pretentious.

Personally I find this protocol for meeting the Pope rather ridiculous. He is just a man elected to an office.

Protocol is protocol, and it is specially strict when it comes to religion or royalty and in this case both of them...

Last edited:
Mrs. Blair is a catholic and Mr. Blair now too.

I understand that bit but Queen Margrethe II is in the Vatican and not wearing black. Does anyone understand why.

During the funeral of the Pope Jonh Paul II the Queens of Denmark and Spain didn't wear white dresses:

elmundo.es | JUAN PABLO II - 1920/2005 - El Papa que vino del Este

I think that the privilege of the white dresses is an historic privilege, when the Kings or Emperors fougth for the Vatican and the Catholic religion. The principal were Spain, Italy and Austria. But i Don't know the rest of them (Belgium, Luxembourg, etc...)

When a lady makes a 'mistake' and wears white in front of Pope, you will not hear it from Vatican diplomats. It is nice when you observe the old protocol, but it is no longer a strict requirement.

Compare it with the tradition of bowing and making révérences: on most Courts you may bow or make a révérence but it is no longer required, not even at the British Court.

The privilège du Blanc in short:

- HM Queen Sofía of Spain
- HM Queen Paola of the Belgians
- HM Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
- HRH Grand-Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau
- the Archduchesses of Austria (they do not use the privilège)
- the Princesses of the House di Savoia (most do not use the privilège)

I think taht it's becouse they aren't "Catholic Majesties":

The titles Catholic King and Catholic Queen are awarded by the Pope as head of the Roman Catholic Church to monarchs who in the eyes of the papacy embody Catholic principles in their personal lives and state policies. The title remains attached to monarchs descended from whoever received the original, unless withdrawn by a Pope. Among the reigning monarchs of Europe, the title is currently carried by the sovereigns of Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain. The Roman Catholic Princes of Monaco and Liechtenstein have not been awarded the title, and the other European monarchs (Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom) are Protestant.
One of the rights of being a Catholic Queen, either regnant or consort, is that she may wear white, rather than the normal black, when meeting the Pope (known as privilège du blanc).
The most popular example of the granting of this title is upon Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon (both kingdoms are now part of Spain). The Kings of Spain (since Los Reyes Católicos) have used the style of a Catholic Majesty. The present king chose not to relinquish the ancient titles of the Spanish crown, but he does not use them [1].

Regards!!

The future Queen Maxima will not qualify for the " privilège du Blanc " because even though she is Catholic herself she is not a "Catholic Queen"- meaning the Netherlands is not a Catholic monarchy.

The future Queen Maxima will not qualify for the " privilège du Blanc " because even though she is Catholic herself she is not a "Catholic Queen"- meaning the Netherlands is not a Catholic monarchy.

How did Maxima get married with Prince Guillermo Alejandro? Did she get married in two ceremonies like Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia in 1962?

Regards!

Princess Maxima married Prince Wilhelm Alexander civil ceremony in the Beurs van Berlage, Amsterdam which was then followed by a religious ceremony at the Nieuwe Kirk (also in Amsterdam).

Maxima has stayed faithful to the Catholic Church and not converted to the religion of the Prince. However they did agree that Princess Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane would be protestant.

The privilège du Blanc applies for..
Queen Sofia of Spain.
Queen Paola and Fabiola Of Belgium.
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa of Luxembourg.
x

Which Royal Queen received the Pope's golden rose ?
I know only one : The Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.
Perhaps because she was the Head of her country and not an consort ?
Thanks for your help.

Which Royal Queen received the Pope's golden rose ?
I know only one : The Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.
Perhaps because she was the Head of her country and not an consort ?
Thanks for your help.
I know: Princess Isabel of Brazil (1888), Queen Amelie of Portugal (1892), Queen Marie Henriette of the Belgians (1893), Queen Ena of Spain (1923), Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians (1925), Queen Elena of Italy (1937).
All them were Queens consort, except for Princess Isabel of Brazil, who was only a Regent and not a Queen.

I saw the golden rose above her coffin at her funerals.
I know that both Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola don't have it . Therefore my question. Wikipedia is not a bible , you may add informations yourself..

Back
Top Bottom