Royals Breaking Protocol

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I thought we could start a new thread on royals breaking protocol. What incidents can you remember and is there any pics?

Queen Juliana had the habit, especially when she was a teenager/ in her 20-ties to deliberately walk next to the red carpet instead of on the red carpet, as a kind of protest maybe.

i wonder why she did that.

Also, the Japanese princess has of course broken tradition by being the first Japanese royal to marry a commoner. That story is getting SO much coverage but its good as now we are seeing more stories from the Japanese royal family, whom we rarely hear of.

When Queen Rania wore a long skirt to Felipe and Letiza's wedding.

zarzuela said:
When Queen Rania wore a long skirt to Felipe and Letiza's wedding.

Yes, i remember Rania wearing a long white and purple skirt

in the royal wedding, they said Mary was breaking protocol by kissing Frederick before they were out of the church?

really? I thought Mary and Frederik kissed outside the church instead of inside, maybe i'm wrong. Probably am lol

If you look through the Earl and Countess of Wessex thread, you'll find several and possibly hundreds of examples of the Countess of Wessex walking in front of her husband. This was a cause of much debate when the couple was just married, as many saw it as disrespectful. As she continues to do it, I don't think Edward has ever mind.

Queen Sofia broke protocol in the 11 of March and the 20 of August, because she cried in both the funerals.

Last edited:
magnik said:
Who don't break protocol:confused: :D
I think that all the royals broke protocol... nor that it is just once... ;)

Princess Maxima said:
Yes, i remember Rania wearing a long white and purple skirt

why did she break protocol by wearing a long skirt?

nokklav said:
why did she break protocol by wearing a long skirt?
Because in marriages that are realized carried through on the morning the women have to use a short skirt and, generally, hat.

oh i forgot they got married in the morning :p

i love protocol (and i have to say this thread is a great idea)... it's some kind of addictive cause i have that i love finding mistakes (after all, that's how people can learn) :D

i don't know if this may classify as breaking protocol, as there's no rule in protocol that says you can't show your nerves in public (although you need to take care of the image you give), in this case it had to do a lot with mette marit's fear of flying.

an extract of hellomagazine, where it explains what happened:
"Crown Princess Mette-Marit's cool elegance was shaken recently in an emotional outburst that was captured on video. The 28-year-old wife of Crown Prince Haakon of Norway has expressed her regrets about the incident, and blames her public display of nerves on her profound fear of flying.

The images, broadcast on a local Norwegian TV channel, show Mette-Marit and her husband leaving an aeroplane minutes after landing in Karmoe. Apparently distressed by a photographer who had been allowed on board the flight, the crown princess can be seen angrily confronting her personal assistant, Hilde Harladstad, near the plane’s exit. As Prince Haakon intervened and attempted to assist his wife down the plane steps, she raised her voice and, pushing his hand away, exclaimed, “We said that there were no photos inside.”

By the time Mette-Marit reached the red carpet on the tarmac a few seconds later, she had recovered her composure. She went on to greet well-wishers at the airport with a smile and a wave. "

and the photos, from hellomagazine (hola) as well.

16mg1.jpg

29ta.jpg

http://www.hola.com/anteriores/2002/01/16/ho2998s4/

another of letizia was when in the engagement press conference she told felipe "let me talk". she obviously didn't mean it in a bad way, and she wanted to make the press conference look more informal, but she got a lot of criticism for that, and since that day many people defined her as "dominant, with strong caracther."

a video of the engagement, mms://81.19.98.102/CNNPlusVideos/NOT/NOT_GEN_2003-11-06_Peticion_boda2_56k.wmv

you will find the "dejame terminar" in minute 3.54 of the video. also, it's a nice excuse to remember them that day...

Last edited:
It may not be an actual break in protocal but the one I thought of first was when Princess Diana's casket passed by the royal family on the day of her funeral and the Queen bowed her head slightly as it went by. It seemed a very nice gesture on Her Majesty's part. I also recall many years ago for Churchill's funeral that the Queen waived her distinction of being the last into the church, another nice gesture of respect, I think.

Jackswife said:
It may not be an actual break in protocal but the one I thought of first was when Princess Diana's casket passed by the royal family on the day of her funeral and the Queen bowed her head slightly as it went by.

what a nice gesture of her majesty... they did seem to have some kind of polite relationship, which is really good. i sometimes had the impression they disliked each other, but queen elizabeth sometimes seemed really fond of diana.

what a nice gesture of her majesty...

I didn't agree. I thought it was shameful and I lost alot of respect for the Queen when she did that. It's took a while after I saw that footage for me to warm to her again.

BeatrixFan said:
I didn't agree. I thought it was shameful and I lost alot of respect for the Queen when she did that. It's took a while after I saw that footage for me to warm to her again.

i guess it depends on the image you have of the queen. to me she is really stiff, and sometimes too protocolary and not too natural (which i don't blame, that's how it should be, she is the queen...) so i thought it was a cute and nice gesture to see she appreciated her.

She is the Queen - she shouldn't have bowed to a commoner.

the princess royal also broke the protocol when she walked in the funeral march for the late queen mum, when only men are allowed to participate in it.

That was different and I could understand that. Anne has always done things her way and she loved her Grandmother very much - I admired her for that. But the Queen shouldn't bow to anyone.

BeatrixFan said:
That was different and I could understand that. Anne has always done things her way and she loved her Grandmother very much - I admired her for that. But the Queen shouldn't bow to anyone.

oh, i think you misunderstood me, beatrix. after all what you say is totally right. i was just mentioning anne's beaking of protocol as another different example r the thread. :)

Sorry Carlota - you get my meaning though. I hope!

carlota said:
the princess royal also broke the protocol when she walked in the funeral march for the late queen mum, when only men are allowed to participate in it.

As much as I believe in equality for women, that break in protocol really bugs me. I don't know why but it does. :(

carlota said:

I like the idea, maybe Ysbel you just aren't used to seeing women in such a traditionally male dominated activity - in a uniform and walking in a funeral.

If you're American or just know it's history, Jacqueline Kennedy walked behind President Kennedy's coffin. It was the most dignified thing that I've seen a First Lady do.

Maybe the military uniform gets to you.

BTW, I can't remember to well, I think Anne wore her military uniform, not sure.

Yes, Anne wore her uniform in both processions.

Back
Top Bottom