Royals Breaking Protocol

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looked white in a heck of a lot of photos

Thats the thing - it looked white. She should have gone for a dark navy or a dark purple - not grey.

BeatrixFan said:
Thats the thing - it looked white. She should have gone for a dark navy or a dark purple - not grey.

Are we sure it was Castel Gandolfo both times, they were officially received at the Vatican in 1999 :confused:

BeatrixFan said:

Yes, it looked almost bridal

I don't think it was Castel Gandolfo when she wore white. I'm sure it was the Vatican but I could be wrong.

BeatrixFan said:
I don't think it was Castel Gandolfo when she wore white. I'm sure it was the Vatican but I could be wrong.

Yes I thought it was the Vatican too, I can't remember exactly where but I do remember reading about the protocol issue as a mistake.

I think they were received at the Vatican in November 1999

~*~Humera~*~ said:
No it wasn't a breach of protocol.
Queen Rania was allowed to wear gray (not white) because she was visiting the Pope at his summer residence (Castel Gandolfo) and NOT the Vatican.
http://www.geocities.com/jordanroyals/misc/pope/castelgandolfo1.jpg
It would be quite silly for a Queen to make such a huge mistake and risk a diplomatic disaster. All royals and heads of state have teams of people to ensure they dont make such serious mistakes.

Why then she wore a mantilla "white,silver or whatever",she's not spanish,and the mantilla is a limited in the spanish culture,or spaniards allowed her also to wear a mantilla?:rolleyes:

Looking, I don't think it is a mantilla - just a lace shawl.

lizz70 said:
Why then was Rania wearing black to visit Pope Benedict at Castel Gandolfo last year?

most likely because she chose to.
Just because she wore gray the first time didnt mean she had to wear it again during her second visit, especially since there isn't a strict requirement about colour for visits to the summer residence.

Monalisa said:
Why then she wore a mantilla "white,silver or whatever",she's not spanish,and the mantilla is a limited in the spanish culture,or spaniards allowed her also to wear a mantilla?:rolleyes:

its not a mantilla, not the kind that the Spanish royals wear. During Pope John Paul II's funeral you could see many women, royal and non-royal, wearing similar shawls.

Hmm, this is an interesting one and from what I can ascertain from the internet and various Catholic websites, regardless of the venue, when engaging in a papal audience, women should dress modestly in dark/subdued colours, cover heir head an men should wear a tie and a dark jacket, whether in the Vatican or Castel Gandolfo as the Pope gives audiences in both places.

The only ladies who are allowed to do differently are the women of countries who were given the designate of 'Catholic Monarch' - Spain, Belgium etc. Every other lady should wear either black or other dark colour. Raisa Gorbachev caused a stir as she attended a papal audience in bright red - but then she was representing Communist Russia at the time.

There is tons of stuff about the 'privilege du blanc' and lots telling about the dark/black clothing but I have come across nothing that says that these rules are relaxed just because an audience takes place at Castel Gandolfo. Also, I would like to know why Paris Match pointed out that it was a mistake? Having been raised as a Catholic, I have certainly never heard of any woman wearing any other colour except for black when meeting the Pope in an audience, except of course for the Catholic Queens.

If someone can clarify this from an official recognisable source (not angelfire or geocities), I'd be really interested to see it as it has piqued my curiosity now.

Monalisa said:

Most Catholics understand that a mantilla is a lace shawl or veil.

It is just a figure of speech, lace veil or lace shawl is appropriate too and is not limited to Spanish culture.

lizz70 said:
I would like to know why Paris Match pointed out that it was a mistake? Having been raised as a Catholic, I have certainly never heard of any woman wearing any other colour except for black when meeting the Pope in an audience, except of course for the Catholic Queens.

This is exacly what I was thinking about,I myself have the issue of "Paris Match" where the journalist pointed that QR made a great mistake,and added in french "Reine Rania a fait un faux pas,et a frolé l'incident diplomatique",those were words of the french magazine."

I doubt if it was not a breaking protocol case,that "Paris Match" would talk about or speculate about,as it's a serious magazine and not a magzine of gossips:rolleyes:

Monalisa said:
This is exacly what I was thinking about,I myself have the issue of "Paris Match" where the journalist pointed that QR made a great mistake,and added in french "Reine Rania a fait un faux pas,et a frolé l'incident diplomatique",those were words of the french magazine."

I doubt if it was not a breaking protocol case,that "Paris Match" would talk about or speculate about,as it's a serious magazine and not a magzine of gossips:rolleyes:

I do think you are right about this MonaLisa as also, apart from being serious magazine, Paris Match is published in a Catholic country, so I am sure they would check their facts

Queen Rania is not above making a 'faux pas' as was demonstrated at the wedding of Felipe and Letizia.

lizz70 said:
Queen Rania is not above making a 'faux pas' as was demonstrated at the wedding of Felipe and Letizia.

Not to talk about that,That's funny that till now we admitted "faux pas" of other royals,but for QR we need justifications,why not to call "a cat" by it name:D ,she's human,and nobody is perfect.

What did she do at their wedding?

BeatrixFan said:
What did she do at their wedding?

she wore a long skirt (matching for evening) instead of a short one,as the protocol asks for weddings celebrated in the morning.

That should be written in the card of invitation.

Is that breaking protocol? Wouldn't that be more a fashion mistake than a protocol error?

Monalisa said:
Not to talk about that,That's funny that till now we admitted "faux pas" of other royals,but for QR we need justifications,why not to call "a cat" by it name:D ,she's human,and nobody is perfect.

Exactly! Nice to know others get things wrong sometimes too, even those with wealth and power ;)

BeatrixFan said:
Is that breaking protocol? Wouldn't that be more a fashion mistake than a protocol error?

No I think there was a dress code for the wedding, so it wasn't fashion error. It would be a bit like turning up to a black tie event in a mini skirt. It was a pretty skirt, just the wrong time and place to wear it.

lizz70 said:

I think that her breaking protocol in Let&Fil wedding was wanted,even if she didn't know,always the invitation cards of such as weddings,underline the appropriate clothes to wear.

Monalisa said:
I think that her breaking protocol in Let&Fil wedding was wanted,even if she didn't know,always the invitation cards of such as weddings,underline the appropriate clothes to wear.

well.....yes, exactly my point. Invitations to functions always state dress code. My own wedding invitations stated morning suits, so if someone had turned up in a lounge suit, it wouldn't have been ignorance.

BeatrixFan said:

I think it's both,long skirt instead od short one for breaking protocol thing,and skirt matching for evening for fashion mistake thing.

Monalisa said:
I think it's both,long skirt instead od short one for breaking protocol thing,and skirt matching for evening for fashion mistake thing.

She should have known better!!! Bad girl!!!:D

King Juan Carlos usually let Queen Sofía walk first (as a gentleman is supposed to do) as shown in this picture:

Source: Rex Features

I think if it is voluntary it isn't a protocol break ;)

Back
Top Bottom