Royals Breaking Protocol

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is becauce King J-C is a gentleman and as he is king and it is voluntary, it doesn't really constitute a breach. But it is nice to see :)

Maybe she felt lucky being hugged by a tall, nice and athletic man such as Mr Garneau. Many women would....

:D
Princess BellyFlop said:
Maybe she felt lucky being hugged by a tall, nice and athletic man such as Mr Garneau. Many women would....
:D :D :D

In fact the invitation card of Leti&Flip only "advise" the appropiate clothes, so it wasn't an essential condition.

Coming back on the Louis Garneau affaire, he said in the BBC article that the Queen said no problem for the photo but not to put his hand on Her Majesty's shoulder. He also said that in sports they always do that. Well sorry Mr Graneau but you were not in presence of an athlete but the Queen of Canada, the Head of State.

I think that it is great though that the Queen didnt mind.

BeatrixFan said:
That was different and I could understand that. Anne has always done things her way and she loved her Grandmother very much - I admired her for that. But the Queen shouldn't bow to anyone.

That wasn't a break in protocole. It is a break in tradition. I think that she did the right thing. In royalty males are always placed before womens and I think that it just showed that womens can have their places in royalty as well even before the males.

Well protocol is tradition isn't it? Surely tradition sets protocol?

Monalisa said:
she wore a long skirt (matching for evening) instead of a short one,as the protocol asks for weddings celebrated in the morning.

That should be written in the card of invitation.

I don't think it has anything to do with protocol as much as did cultural belifes. I can only assume she like many muslim women show as little skin as possible.

LIELAC said:
I don't think it has anything to do with protocol as much as did cultural belifes. I can only assume she like many muslim women show as little skin as possible.

Are you kidding??? Did you see how much skin she was showing at the pre-wedding dinner in the dress with the sparkly cape type bit that sat on her shoulders?????

Sarah, Duchess of York was well known for breaking protocol!

LIELAC said:

Are you kidding??? Did you see how much skin she was showing at the pre-wedding dinner in the dress with the sparkly cape type bit that sat on her shoulders?????

Agree liizz70,this is the funniest thing I heard about QR's respect for her religion.

She always does things in the opposit,she wears short and very revealing clothes when she should cover herself,as lizz said,the dress of the prewedding was very telling how much she respects her religion,as I don't see any need to wear that kind of dress for a muslim woman who supposebly respects her religion and performed Omra only few months ago:rolleyes: ,she also wore short dresses and skirts during Hamzah's Haya's and ali's engagements,while all the rest of the family women wore tall dresses...But she wore tall clothes when she doesn't have to do,and when the protocol code asked to wear short skirt/dress,like in the spanish wedding...

And this is what I think she does things not by ignorance but she knows what she's doing,as when she would do something different or that should not be done,she succefuly will attract cameras,and this is what she's looking for...

Monalisa said:
Agree liizz70,this is the funniest thing I heard about QR's respect for her religion.

She always does things in the opposit,she wears short and very revealing clothes when she should cover herself,as lizz said,the dress of the prewedding was very telling how much she respects her religion,as I don't see any need to wear that kind of dress for a muslim woman who supposebly performed Omra only few months ago:rolleyes: ,she also wore short dresses and skirts during Hamzah's and Haya's engagements,while all the rest of the family women wore tall dresses...But she wore tall clothes when she doesn't have to do,and when the protocol code asked to wear short skirt/dress,like in the spanish wedding...

And this is what I think she does things not by ignorance but she knows what she's doing,as when she would do something different or that should not be done,she succefuly will attract cameras,and this is what she's looking for...

I completely agree with you.
The point is that Rania's trying to get over Queen Noor and since (Noor) has such good relations with both the SRF and the spanish media, (Rania) needed something to attract all the attention and succeded but in a not-so-good way in my opinion:rolleyes:

Oppie said:
I thought you always bowed when a coffin passed.

Exactly! Elizabeth was only following what is a common practice. Many people stop and bow when a funeral cortege passes.

At Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's funeral all of the Monarchs bowed and curtseyed to her coffin as it left Westminster Abbey.

Coming back on the Louis Garneau affaire, he said in the BBC article that the Queen said no problem for the photo but not to put his hand on Her Majesty's shoulder. He also said that in sports they always do that. Well sorry Mr Graneau but you were not in presence of an athlete but the Queen of Canada, the Head of State.

I think that it is great though that the Queen didnt mind.
I think it comes down to the fact he was being polite and respectful just didnt know protocol and QE2 understood that and took the gesture in the spirit it was ment.

Hmm, this is an interesting one and from what I can ascertain from the internet and various Catholic websites, regardless of the venue, when engaging in a papal audience, women should dress modestly in dark/subdued colours, cover heir head an men should wear a tie and a dark jacket, whether in the Vatican or Castel Gandolfo as the Pope gives audiences in both places.

The only ladies who are allowed to do differently are the women of countries who were given the designate of 'Catholic Monarch' - Spain, Belgium etc. Every other lady should wear either black or other dark colour.

If someone can clarify this from an official recognisable source (not angelfire or geocities), I'd be really interested to see it as it has piqued my curiosity now.
No official response sorry but I visited the vatican with my aunt ( a nun) for her to meet the pope and be given an award by him and the mother superior of her order instructed myself and my other aunts who were going with her to wear dark colours and of course cover our heads (that is standard at any formal catholic ceremony) My aunt wore the habit of her order which is beige these days and the veil which is optional for them but obviously required for a papal meeting. We had an awful time with sticky tape the morning of the audience trying to keep it on as she has lost her hair and the veil pulls her wig off. :lol: She has a great sense of humour and could see the funny side of it as well so I can make a joke of it ok. In the end we glued it to her head to keep it in place. I wore a mantilla (lace headscarf) in black because I already had one for funerals. I hope the spanish people dont take offence to it being called that but we have always called it that. If you look at different catholic ceremonies communion, confirmation, wedding, baptism, funeral. Traditionally the women cover their hair to some extent and wear an appropriate colour. Modern nuns wear the colours of their orders but in every meeting with a high ranking church member married women are supposed to (going only on the various occasions my family has attended them not on a book of protocol) wear dark colour. I am not sure if there is a different protocol for non christians??? I remember the uproar when Bill Clinton sat down before his Holiness and was ushered to his feet until the Pope had sat and everyone howled that as a good christian he should have known better. As a catholic I like the office of Pope to be respected but she had everything covered that needed to be covered so I am ok with the outfit. Cant believe a royal house would seriously stuff up on a visit not only to a head of state but the head of a religion particularly a different religion.

That was different and I could understand that. Anne has always done things her way and she loved her Grandmother very much - I admired her for that. But the Queen shouldn't bow to anyone.

The Queen always bows her head as a gesture of respect to the dead - for instance at the Cenotaph rememberance service. I do not believe that her bow in front of Diana's coffin was a PR excercise simply something she always does when she sees one. The Queen is the last person I can think of who would break protocol.

Hmm reading back through this thread I realise that people have got extremely strong and angry opinions regarding the Queen, Princess Diana and the length of skirts to be worn at weddings. It has set me thinking that if a monarch or senior member of a royal family does something then we should accept it and not criticise. Provided the Queen does not launch herself at a coffin and wail crazily at teh occupant, I am happy for her to bow. Provided Queen Rania is not dressed in a bikini and wearing a straw hat at a wedding, I am happy for her to wear a long dress and no hat. This thread has really annoyed me today!

Do you remember the Grand-Duke's and his wife State Visit in Sweden. The second day they hosted the Swedish RF, MT came first with a tiara and as Queen Silvia and her daughters did not wear any tiara, MT had to take her tiara of !!

Do you remember the Grand-Duke's and his wife State Visit in Sweden. The second day they hosted the Swedish RF, MT came first with a tiara and as Queen Silvia and her daughters did not wear any tiara, MT had to take her tiara of !!

i guess that was then the swedes fault. state visits are a perfect scenario to wear tiaras. i believe maria teresa was just being courteous as always taking hers off.

I think that it was very couteous and gracious of Maria-Teresa to take off her tiara. As any woman knows, once you have your hair styled, it can be a bother to have to restyle it again.

i am suprise the sedish royals did not use it, it 'nt suppose this thing are arange in advance????

Well normally they would've had expectations communicated, but it obviously didnt work in this case.
If I remember correctly, it was an event hosted by the guests, so the communications should have been made to the Swedes...

I remember a faux pas Maxima almost did, when on a state visit to some south American country, she almost stepped out b4 the Queen, and was stopped, and photographed with a "yikes" expression on her face...

I remember a faux pas Maxima almost did, when on a state visit to some south American country, she almost stepped out b4 the Queen, and was stopped, and photographed with a "yikes" expression on her face...
I'm pretty sure that happened during the State Visit to Argentina.

I think Albert of Monaco is braking protocol by taking Charlene Wittstock to so many official events. She was even taken to some event in Monaco where she was given flowers, during that event she was wearing outfit that was looking like Monegasque national outfit. So far, Charlene is not official fiance.

Back
Top Bottom