Royals Breaking Protocol

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BeatrixFan said:
She is the Queen - she shouldn't have bowed to a commoner.

First of all, Lady Di was not really a comoner, she was the Princess of Wales and mother of the future King.

Second, if you remember, in Prince Rainiers funeral, King of Spain, King of Belgium and President Chirac did the same, it was paying honour to a deceased royal.

But the real reason this day IMO, was to come close to the people again. If you remember these days, people was overemotionned for Diana's death, they blamed and hated Prince Charles, and they were very close to also blame the Queen, because she was considered to have been not supporting Diana in Camilla's story and letting Charles living his affair, quitely. For that she did also a TV speatch for Diana, UNCREDIBLE action, and she bowed the head. She wanted to saw to her people that she was sharing their emotion for Diana's death, otherwise people would believe that she did'nt care....

First of all, Lady Di was not really a comoner, she was the Princess of Wales and mother of the future King.

She was a divorcee. She was Charles ex-wife. The Queen shouldn't bow to anyone. Not her own family, not anybody. And certainly not that woman.

Second, if you remember, in Prince Rainiers funeral, King of Spain, King of Belgium and President Chirac did the same, it was paying honour to a deceased royal.

Prince Rainier was a different case entirely. He was a Monarch. For them to bow to him, it was a mark of respect to a man of their own kind.

For that she did also a TV speatch for Diana, UNCREDIBLE action, and she bowed the head. She wanted to saw to her people that she was sharing their emotion for Diana's death, otherwise people would believe that she did'nt care....

And why should she care? I thought the speech and the bowing business was totally unacceptable.

fandesacs2003 said:
But the real reason this day IMO, was to come close to the people again. If you remember these days, people was overemotionned for Diana's death, they blamed and hated Prince Charles, and they were very close to also blame the Queen, because she was considered to have been not supporting Diana in Camilla's story and letting Charles living his affair, quitely. For that she did also a TV speatch for Diana, UNCREDIBLE action, and she bowed the head. She wanted to saw to her people that she was sharing their emotion for Diana's death, otherwise people would believe that she did'nt care....

The real reason for the Queen's actions after Diana's death was to ward off an angry spiteful vindictive lynch mob that was literally at the Palace Gates.

Such a lynch mob didn't deserve such a lovely Queen who for her whole life had sacrificed her own happiness for her country and had always carried out her duties with dignity and respect. I would not have blamed the Queen if she had decided the throne wasn't worth such a sacrifice if it was for such an ungrateful people and stepped down from her throne.

Luckily for us, the Queen is much more loyal to her people than they are to her and she stuck it out.

ysbel said:
The real reason for the Queen's actions after Diana's death was to ward off an angry spiteful vindictive lynch mob that was literally at the Palace Gates.

Such a lynch mob didn't deserve such a lovely Queen who for her whole life had sacrificed her own happiness for her country and had always carried out her duties with dignity and respect. I would not have blamed the Queen if she had decided the throne wasn't worth such a sacrifice if it was for such an ungrateful people and stepped down from her throne.

Luckily for us, the Queen is much more loyal to her people than they are to her and she stuck it out.

What did she sacrifice??? She lives on her people back, she is incredibly rich and for decades she was even not paying taxes.....
Dutch Queen pays taxes and people respect her for that. Queen Elisabeth started to pay taxes only after the windsor castle burned. By the way she tried to make the repairs paid by the people taxes, you think is that normal???
And I do not think that she would ever step down from her throne, she is very comfortably sat on it.
And when the London subway exploded, I do not remember her running to comfort their people. Spain and Jordanian royal did it IMMEDIATELY

I do not know if you are British, but if you are, could you explain why British people love so much the Queen? It's a mystery for a non British to understand. For the Quuen Mum, OK, she proved many things during the world, but the Queen??

BeatrixFan said:
And why should she care? I thought the speech and the bowing business was totally unacceptable.
Ah, but it was an extraordinary time, and an extraordinary response was called for. Queen Elizabeth addressed her people at a time of national shock and mourning. This is what a Monarch does. People don't remember the bowing to Diana's cataflaque as HM humbling herself, they remember it as a touching and fitting gesture. The entire Royal Family gathered in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace, paying their respects, was appropriate for the heightened emotions of the occasion. It was also appropriate for Princes William and Harry to see their mother, in death, being given special consideration by the Queen.

I am not British but I do know that the Queen was never meant to be queen. She had always wanted to have the life of a country gentlewoman running an estate far from the public eye and as a minor royal which she would have been if her uncle had not abdicated, she would have such a life.

Her father died when she was 25 leaving her to assume the throne with two young children who she had to leave for extended periods to assume the duties of the monarchy.

None of the monarchs traditionally have paid taxes. Elizabeth, Beatrix and the others all started paying taxes but its a recent phenomenon. A lot of people expected taxes to repair Windsor Castle because it was government property and not the Queen's. Why should she foot the bill to renovate property that is not hers?

The Queen reached out after the subway bombs and she even extended condolences to President Bush after Hurricane Katrina hit the United States so I don't know why you're saying she didn't reach out to her people in times of need.

Warren said:
Ah, but it was an extraordinary time, and an extraordinary response was called for. Queen Elizabeth addressed her people at a time of national shock and mourning. This is what a Monarch does. People don't remember the bowing to Diana's cataflaque as HM humbling herself, they remember it as a touching and fitting gesture. The entire Royal Family gathered in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace, paying their respects, was appropriate for the heightened emotions of the occasion. It was also appropriate for Princes William and Harry to see their mother, in death, being given special consideration by the Queen.

EXACTLY, PERFECTLY SAID

Warren said:
The entire Royal Family gathered in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace, paying their respects, was appropriate for the heightened emotions of the occasion.

Yes, Warren, it's entirely appropriate (and good survival sense) to throw a piece of meat at a snarling dog to save your life. But it doesn't make the whole scene any less distasteful.

ysbel said:
I am not British but I do know that the Queen was never meant to be queen. She had always wanted to have the life of a country gentlewoman running an estate far from the public eye and as a minor royal which she would have been if her uncle had not abdicated, she would have such a life.

Her father died when she was 25 leaving her to assume the throne with two young children who she had to leave for extended periods to assume the duties of the monarchy.

None of the monarchs traditionally have paid taxes. Elizabeth, Beatrix and the others all started paying taxes but its a recent phenomenon. A lot of people expected taxes to repair Windsor Castle because it was government property and not the Queen's. Why should she foot the bill to renovate property that is not hers?

The Queen reached out after the subway bombs and she even extended condolences to President Bush after Hurricane Katrina hit the United States so I don't know why you're saying she didn't reach out to her people in times of need.

I may be wrong. I remember in the morning of the Madrid explosion, less than one hour after, the WHOLE royal family of Spain was out to run visit the victims. You had the impression that they rushed, they even not"'washed their tooth' in order to be immediately there.

On London Subway bombing, for days I did not see a single pic of the Queen being immediately there, I think only Prince Charles. Maybe she went later, but I think not immediately. Maybe it is question of peoples caracter, but did we see the Queen crying and trying to console families, as Queen Sofia or Queen Ranja did ???

I thought you always bowed when a coffin passed. I'm sure other royals at funerals have. The only two examples I can think of at the moment are Queen Elizabeth at her mother's funeral and the swedish royal family when the victims of the tsuanmi came back (at the airport). I think that not only was that apporirate but it wasn't breaking protacol.

As for the everything else that week. I just remember thinking leave them alone. I didn't see any reason for either the statement by the Queen or them coming back to look at flowers. They should have been left in peace.

edited to add: Re the London explosions. You saw the Queen with one or two people and Princess Anne with one. The rest of the visits were done without cameras. Also I remember talking about this in my foreign policy class. The entire reaction between England and Spain was so different. England was about moving on as quickly as possible, there was more mourning in Spain. Everyone from the Royals to the common people dealt with it differently in the two countries. Well one of the most powerful images from Spain might have been the Queen consolling a victim, from England it was the 100000 people who showed up for D-Day rembrance a few days later. Nothing was wrong with either but I think it is wrong to compare them because they were so different.

Last edited:
ysbel said:
Yes, Warren, it's entirely appropriate (and good survival sense) to throw a piece of meat at a snarling dog to save your life. But it doesn't make the whole scene any less distasteful.

I'm sorry but what you said is unacceptable. Treating the people as snarling dog!!!!
Do not forget, that especially in our days, if Royals are there, is only because this snarling dogs accept them, by right, stupidity or romantism..... but if this dogs weren't there, from what would Queens and Kings eat, be luxury dressed and travel comfortably???
They do not rule themselves, so what is their added value???
I think that the Queen is intelligent, and she did what their people expected from her. She showed that she respected their sorrow, and this is very good. It is not disgusting to show to those are feeding you.. that you understand their feelings.

On London Subway bombing, for days I did not see a single pic of the Queen being immediately there, I think only Prince Charles.

Our Queen isn't exactly the emotional type. We look to her to remain solid and set the precedent. So, if she appears defiant - we do the same. She was out the next day, visiting the victims and she made that wonderful speech. She ditched the hat and the gloves and she appeared to soften as she wandered through the hospital - it was very strange to see and as someone who was on a train in the next platform when the bomb went off at Kings Cross - well, her words meant alot. Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were next to visit I think and Camilla said to the cameras = "It makes one very proud to be British". I thought so much of her for saying that. But the whole Royal Family were brilliant. At the 2 minute silence, the Queen walked out into the forecourt of Buckingham Palace to mark it - alone. It was a very poignant moment. And of course, she ordered that the bands played the American National Anthem in the forecourt after 9/11.

Last edited:
I think that the Queen is intelligent, and she did what their people expected from her

Not at all. She was forced. The Press wanted to get their shot of her in the black outfit and they were going to force her out of the Palace. And they managed it. The Queen had to throw the bait for them to take. She had to keep on their side because they hold the power of the people.

fandesacs2003 said:
I may be wrong. I remember in the morning of the Madrid explosion, less than one hour after, the WHOLE royal family of Spain was out to run visit the victims. You had the impression that they rushed, they even not"'washed their tooth' in order to be immediately there.

Well fandesacs2003, I certainly admire the Spanish royal family's caring for running out to the scene an hour after the explosion, but with the potential for bombers being still around, was that really wise?

BeatrixFan said:
On London Subway bombing, for days I did not see a single pic of the Queen being immediately there, I think only Prince Charles.

Our Queen isn't exactly the emotional type. We look to her to remain solid and set the precedent. So, if she appears defiant - we do the same. She was out the next day, visiting the victims and she made that wonderful speech. .

Understand.
She did exactly what her own people expected her to do, and this is perfect. She would be a bad Queen of Spain but she the perfect Queen of England. Good, thanks

fandesacs2003 said:
I think that the Queen is intelligent, and she did what their people expected from her. She showed that she respected their sorrow, and this is very good. It is not disgusting to show to those are feeding you.. that you understand their feelings.

I still maintain my respect for the Queen; she did the best she could under very difficult circumstances.

I still maintain my disgust at the angry mob that brought this situation to what it became. They did not deserve such a Queen. Once monarchs have to appease an angry mob, its time for the monarchies to end. The people are no longer worthy of their Kings and Queens.

She did exactly what her own people expected her to do, and this is perfect

No, thats not quite true. For her to do all of that was a huge shock. Usually she releases a statement saying how saddened she is. She never comes out into the forecourt as she did - it was unusual and it won her brownie points because we didn't expect it.

ysbel said:
Well fandesacs2003, I certainly admire the Spanish royal family's caring for running out to the scene an hour after the explosion, but with the potential for bombers being still around, was that really wise?

It was not wise, and the pic of Prince Felipe together with the two infantas, heading the big antiterrorist demonstration under the rain, was not wise also, but this kind of actions make people love their royals.

Queen Mother, staying in the bombed London diring the second War, was not wise either.... but British never forgot, and they loved her till her end.

ysbel said:
I was going to protest at the snarling dog analogy, but I must admit I didn't get offended until someone else pointed out it's offensiveness for me. ;)

But yes, the genius of the Windsors is their knack for survival. And the week of the funeral was ugly indeed. The dogs were barking and the hounds were baying. Fortunately it was only a temporary, and uncharacteristic, aberration. Things are much more settled now.

BeatrixFan said:
She never comes out into the forecourt as she did - it was unusual and it won her brownie points because we didn't expect it.
And here is a pic... my first attempt at Photobucket.

Queen Elizabeth II, Mourning for the victims of the London bombings, July 2005, Buckingham Palace Forecourt
courtesy Abaca Press.

037d84b5.jpg

I thought HM was alone but she wasn't. The men in grey suits were carefully hidden so that from the front view, you couldn't see them.

Warren said:
And here is a pic... my first attempt at Photobucket.
Queen Elizabeth II, Mourning for the victims of the London bombings, July 2005, Buckingham Palace Forecourt
courtesy Abaca Press.
MOURNING IN PINK!!!! Aie Ae Aie!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a general observation I think some members should step back occasionally and have a second look at what they have been posting.

A string of critical and negative posts across various threads does not leave a very positive impression.

Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

BeatrixFan said:
I thought HM was alone but she wasn't. The men in grey suits were carefully hidden so that from the front view, you couldn't see them.
As well, the bodyguards would never be far away.

fandesacs2003 said:
It was not wise, and the pic of Prince Felipe together with the two infantas, heading the big antiterrorist demonstration under the rain, was not wise also, but this kind of actions make people love their royals.

Queen Mother, staying in the bombed London diring the second War, was not wise either.... but British never forgot, and they loved her till her end.

That's what people want from their royals: plenty of human interest, romance, lovely weddings, sweet babies and inspiration in times of crisis. Unfortunately, the British RF hasn't been able to provide much of all that in recent years.
(Apart from the all-conquering Camilla. That is romance indeed!)

Sometimes, Queen Sofia breaks the protocol because she walks in front of the King. And the protocol says that the consort must walk behing the King or Queen ruling.
I read (i don't remember where...) that the King said that i doesn´t mind that the Queen walks in his front.
This mistake happens a lot of times and the some people don't think that is important.
The Princess Letizia was, also, critized because of this little mistake, in her first times as a princess.

ysbel said:

For the Spanish Royal Family, in these cases, the danger is relative, because somehow always they live under terrorist threat.
ETA has tried to kill the King in at least two occasions, the Spanish Royal Family always lives through safety measures surrounded with forts.
The Prince also came years ago to the funeral for a young councilman who was kidnapped and murdered by ETA, a very dramatic history.
If they were thinking about the danger that they run, they would not live.;)

Thanks for explaining lula. :)

BeatrixFan said:
Not at all. She was forced. The Press wanted to get their shot of her in the black outfit and they were going to force her out of the Palace. And they managed it. The Queen had to throw the bait for them to take. She had to keep on their side because they hold the power of the people.

i disagree, with alot of posts on here, we dont know the Queen, we can guess and guess but we never know or will do as to why she does the things she does, everyone can imagen her up bringing, strict, not very emotional, my gran comes from a very upper class, rich family and has many aristocratic friends, and you would never see her say things like, i love you, or hug or kiss anyone, never seen her cry, even when she is morning, and she does that because of who she is because when she was younger that is what was expected of her, as with the Queen. and as for the critizing well you'll lucky HM isnt like me, cause id transfere my bank account, sell my property and jewels, art, gold, silver wave good bye to everyone from a nice big plane probo with my middle finger up and laugh and live the rest of my live relaxing in ibiza , not having to do what is expected of me, just do what i want. theres nothing stopping her but herself, her desire to serve is incrediable no matter what people say. oh and if i was her, abolish the monarchy to and when people complain that the blairs and their succsessors arn't bling bling and showey enough id tell ya to stick it. Im a very strong royalist and pray that i never live to see the day britian becomes a republic, but id love to her do that, and peoples faces. maybe in the future when the Queen dies Zara, Peter, William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie will do just that, cause i doubt they really want be in the place theyre in.

Back
Top Bottom