Royal Protocol and Etiquette

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mmm...I know that a man can kiss the hand of a lady only if the hand is bare, but I don't think this is the reason you mean; at least not the only one

How do kings/queen/emperors address one another? is it just a casual hello <first name>?

is a protocol for using gloves? now a days for us communers we use gloves becasue it is cold but i see a lot of cps and queens using them, what is the reason? anyones knows?

How do kings/queen/emperors address one another? is it just a casual hello <first name>?

I would assume that it depends on their relationship - those who are close relatives and friends would just use each others' first names, while those who are mere acquaintances probably follow a more formal "ma'am" and "sir."

is a protocol for using gloves? now a days for us communers we use gloves becasue it is cold but i see a lot of cps and queens using them, what is the reason? anyones knows?

Wearing gloves has always been an essential part of the etiquette.

In past, gloves were all but compulsory. The etiquette has of course relaxed since then, however more traditional Royals (especially the British ones) still wear gloves during official engagements.

As per the royal etiquette, long gloves should be worn at Gala Balls, Court presentations, “White Tie” dinners, dinners in Honour of a dignitary, formal indoor occasions, receptions, on arrival at a luncheon or dinner party and in all other similar cases.
Short gloves are worn upon discretion, however it is highly recommended to wear them in church (or places of worship), at semi-official events, practically at all outdoor events or events where you are expected to be introduced to a large number of people.

There are general rules for both long and short gloves:
* No jewellery should be worn over gloves, with the exception of bracelets.
* If one is wearing gloves, they should be kept on at all times, including when being presented to someone or while dancing (at a formal party). This is more compulsory in case of long gloves.
* When the drinks and hors d’oeuvres are passed, it is recommended to either remove one glove (the right one) or turn gloves back at the wrist. This obviously concerns mostly the long gloves. Short gloves not only can but should be removed before consuming any food.
* At the dining table, the etiquette dictates to either remove only the right glove, or remove both gloves.
* Gloves should be removed when eating, drinking, smoking, applying makeup or playing cards.

As for non-Royals who are presented to Royals, nowadays, it is not necessary to wear gloves during such ceremonies (unless otherwise warned beforehand): however if you do wear gloves, you should not remove them during the presentation.

The etiquette regarding gloves has considerably relaxed lately; the Scandinavian Royals, for example, hardly ever bother with them at all. And if they do wear those, most remove at least one glove upon arrival to great people more ‘informally’.

I was looking at stephen poliakoffs "the lost prince" and in a scene women were smoking in the evening while keeping their long gloves on. It made me wonder, the serie is so excellent, did they get it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the etiquette does dictate that smoking with gloves on (especially long white ones) is really a big breach, so yes, technically they did get it wrong.
However, I doubt anyone has ever followed all etiquette rules by letter (not to mention that in past a smoking woman was a breach of etiquette all by herself).B esides, I think if the women were alone (there were no gentlemen present), they could relax the rules a bit.

As a side note, as someone who had to wear long white gloves on a couple of occasions, it's a real hell trying not to stain them in any way and no sensible woman would be smoking without taking them off first.

the thought crossed my mind that these women did not care about that, worse would be to have smelly hands.
Anyway, if I come across a painting or print (not likable because of as you say the risky business of a woman smoking cigaretttes) I will post it.:flowers:

Well, the etiquette does dictate that smoking with gloves on (especially long white ones) is really a big breach, so yes, technically they did get it wrong.
However, I doubt anyone has ever followed all etiquette rules by letter (not to mention that in past a smoking woman was a breach of etiquette all by herself).B esides, I think if the women were alone (there were no gentlemen present), they could relax the rules a bit.

As a side note, as someone who had to wear long white gloves on a couple of occasions, it's a real hell trying not to stain them in any way and no sensible woman would be smoking without taking them off first.[/
QUOTE]

Wearing gloves has always been an essential part of the etiquette.
you are star, thank you so much! very interesting, so for communers like us, it is a real treat to use them!!!!

in Norway is there the same british etiquette?

European Protocol - Is there a guide/book about it?

I was wondering whether or not there was a website or a book which includes all the details which are part of the protocol.

Examples:

You may adress a Count with "Your Grace"

You may only get married once. (According to protocol)

You will never offer a toast as it is very rude to do so.

Is the "Savoir Faire" and the "Savoire Vivre" still available?

Minding Manners, International Business Etiquette, Corporate Etiquette, Social & Youth Etiquette London, England, UK, Paris, France
I just found this website, maybe someboy else can add something ellse. it is not much you just have to be living in london and have the money to do the courses
I had been asking myself the same if it was a book or soemthing more specific like they use Princess Maxima and Princess Mary when they studied protocol to became princess.
In America I did not find anything where I live in Las Vegas, not much of protocol here.......
Hope someboy can write more information, it owuld be much apreciatte it1

Jaya i don't know, Thanks for your link Ashelen :) But i'm more interested in specific protocol proper to the gentry and nobility. My Grandmother used to teach me bits of protocol, she seemed to know all these rules by heart, i wish she had had time to teach me a little more.

I think other than the touching of another's skin it also had to do with the widespread epidemic of TB around the world.Pls advise.
Today I think that it is decorative,hygienic and keeps the distance of the other person from unwanted familiarity.

Bow + curtsy

The protocol on meeting a British royal is as follows:
...If you are not a British Citizen, you do not have to curtsy or bow--your choice.
@tiaraprin: Toward the Queen...being a stranger or not, you must ALWAYS bow or cursty.

The wearing of gloves has become much more relaxed during and since Princess Diana's time. Even Camilla doesn't wear them much unless it's cold.

There was a video I saw where Mary's hat was about to fall off and she was going to shake a parliament guys hand with her left hand. He switched hands for her so she could shake his hands with the right. She looked a little embarassed. She wasn't married to Frederik yet, so I guess she wasn't used to it. If I find the video I will post it here.

How do you promote nobility in everyday life?

So how do nobles/royals employ their titles? I'm really more interested in ranks below King/Queen or Prince/Princess.

I've seen "The Prince/Princess of X Foundation" which I think is a good idea to get attention to their charity. But what about more day-to-day activities? Do nobles (counts or barons) use their title on stationery? I've seen monograms for monarchs but do lesser ranked nobles have those? How would an invitation go out?

I think royalty/nobility is something special that should be admired (assuming any nobles in question live up to high standard) and I'm just wondering how can it be promoted in subtle ways in everyday life without coming across as crass like making a dinner/hotel reservation under the title just to receive special attention.

The world is becoming more casual so there should be little ways of regularly promoting nobility since the big formal events (state dinners, weddings, etc.) aren't as frequent and are not accessible to the vast majority.

Looking for creative ideas...

Royal fiances question

Hello. I hope this is the correct place to put this.

My 6 year old has developed a real fascination with royalty and keeps asking questions that I do not know the answers too!

His latest is about the fiancé/fiancée of a royal and their place at a royal event such as a funeral or wedding.

Would they be sat with/next to their other half or would they be the same as a girlfriend and sat elsewhere?

Thank you.

Well when Princess Victoria got married in June, Prince Alberts then girlfriend sat near royalty rather than away.
However this could be because Victoria knew of Alberts impending engagement.

Thank you. So it probably depends on the hosts of the event and the couple really?

He has been reading about Prince Charles' trip to the funeral of Pope John Paul II. I think that started him pondering about what would have happened had the death been someone in the BRF and it warranting the postponement of his wedding and the placement of his fiancé during such funeral.

I have no idea where he gets the interest from, but he's so enthusiastic it's lovely to see!

Yes it does depend on the couple.
Letizia Ortiz was engaged to Prince Felipe of Spain at the time of Prince Frederik of Denmarks wedding and they sat together.
Camilla didn't attend the funeral of Pope John Paul II. Their was postponed a day because of his death.

Thanks Lumutqueen.

He was thinking about if they'd had to postpone their wedding for a while I think.

Apparently royal protocol is "intriguing" - I didn't know he knew words like protocol and intriguing at 6 :lol:

He thanks you both for your answers.

Charles and Camilla postponed the wedding for a day, it was originally planned for the 8th April to avoid The Grand National on the 9th. However when Pope John Paul's funeral was planned for the 8th, they moved it so that Charles could attend the service.
This put HM in a bit of a pickle, go to the service or watch the Grand National. ;)

I'm happy to help, i've had an interest in royalty since I was 6 as well.

Thanks Lumutqueen.

He's wanting to know what would have happened in the following scenario if anyone can tell me?

If rather than Pope John Paul passing away it had been a member of the BRF warranting a royal funeral would it be likely that the wedding (or any wedding in this kind of circumstances) would have been postponed for a while - months perhaps?

If that was the case would the fiancé/fiancée most likely have been treated as a wife or husband because the wedding was only postponed because of such an event?

I have told him I'm not sure that there would be set rules for such an occasion, but he says there are royal rules for everything lol.

Your little boy sounds very precocious! He's right that there are rules for everything, although I doubt anyone knows all of them unless they work at the Palace, LOL.

If a British royal died right before a British royal wedding, the wedding would most definitely be postponed for a significant amount of time, at least a month. The exact time would depend on whether the deceased was someone like the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh or Prince Charles, versus someone further down the line like Prince Edward or one of Princess Anne's children. Royal courts generally observe a period of mourning after a death in the Royal House, during which there are no huge celebrations (i.e. weddings).

I think the fiance(e) would be treated as a spouse whether or not there was a postponed wedding. Generally royal fiance(e)s are treated as spouses in most cases, especially in terms of seating at weddings/funerals/etc. Once you become engaged to a royal, you're "official." At this point, you start participating in some engagements with the royal you're planning to marry, you attend events involving the whole royal family, and you sit with the royals at weddings and funerals.

For example:
As Lumutqueen said, Letizia Ortiz sat with her fiance Prince Felipe of Spain at the Danish royal wedding in May 04.
Henri de Monpezat sat with his fiancee Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark at a Dutch royal wedding in Jan 67.
Daniel Westling would have attended the Nobel Prize events with the Swedish royals last December when he and Crown Princess Victoria were engaged, had it not been for his recent surgery.
Sonja Haraldsen stood on the Palace balcony with the King and her fiance Crown Prince Harald of Norway during the National Day celebrations in May 68, as did Mette-Marit Tjessem-Hoiby during her engagement to Crown Prince Haakon in May 01.

A wedding would have been postponed, for a while if a member of the BRF passed away, unless it was the express wishes of the deceased that the wedding go ahead. Like when Queen Mary passed, she insisted the coronation happen.

There aren't royal rules for everything, ;)

And Maura724, not every fiancee gets treated as an "official" member. When Princess Mary became engaged to Prince Frederik she didn't attend the New Years Court celebrations because she wasn't considered "official". All depends on the family.

Back
Top Bottom