Royal Funerals and Mourning

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMQueenElizabethII

Heir Apparent
City
Ryde
Country
Australia
Please post pictures of past Royals here such as: Queen Victoria,King George V,King Geogre VI, King Olav V, Queen Mary, Duke of Windsor, Princess Grace, Lord Mounbatten, .....

I mean the funerals photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
take a look at the different forums we got several threads about funerals just search with funeral and the name of the royal
id there is a funral that you can´t find post it at the forum the royal belongs to

how about late Princess Diana of Wales,Prince Charles,Earl and Countess of Wessex and lots of more in British Royal Family and also Prince William and Prince Harry and lots more.

Sara Boyce

Mourning period of each royal family?

I know that after the death of prince rainier III, prince albert is going to succed him after 3 months.
What is the mourning period of each royal family to suceed in the throne?

King Olav died in January 1991, and King Harald received the blessing from the bishops in Nidarosdomen in June the same year. However, he swore to uphold the Constitution four days after his father's death.

How long the period of mourning lasts, varies, I think. There is the heavy period of mourning, which I've read lasts for about three months, where in the Royal Family doesn't undertake any official engagements.

When a monarch dies, the heir succeeds him/her as the new monarch as soon as they have died. The enthronement ceremony or whatever is held takes place later of course.

I believe I've read something like what Norwegianne says, that 3 months is a normal period of Court mourning.

GrandDuchess said:
When a monarch dies, the heir succeeds him/her as the new monarch as soon as they have died. The enthronement ceremony or whatever is held takes place later of course.

I believe I've read something like what Norwegianne says, that 3 months is a normal period of Court mourning.

.....Unless,there are serious reasons(possible revolution,physical catastrofies) and the succeror takes over immediatelly!!

what about British Royals?

many people still mourning of late Princess Diana in 1997 because of favorite Princess very much many people been mourning for months or more till 1 years? im not sure!

and also 2 Royals in 2002 includes Queen Mother who died in March 2002 and Princess Margaret in February or March im not sure! but we had mourning for months follow death of Queen Mother and Princess Margaret also but im not sure how long Princess Margaret and Queen Mother been in mourning?

Sara Boyce

cuervo said:
.....Unless,there are serious reasons(possible revolution,physical catastrofies) and the succeror takes over immediatelly!!
Yes, as I said in my post:
GrandDuchess said:
When a monarch dies, the heir succeeds him/her as the new monarch as soon as they have died.

The enthronement ceremony or whatever is held takes place later of course.

Sara is Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince Edward dead?

I dont think so!

I have never seen a photo from the funeral of King Haakon 7., Queen Maud or Crown Princess Martha of Norway. It is no pics on the Norwegian royal forum. Have you pictures?

Ive Heard Forgot where When QEII Passes only 5 months of morning before Charles Coronation

Ive Heard Forgot where When QEII Passes only 5 months of morning before Charles Coronation

That would probably depend on when in the year the Queen will die. I can't imagine that if the Queen died in August that they would have a January coronation.

Does anyone know what date Princess Beatrice (daughter of Queen Victoria; 1857-1944) was buried at Whippingham Church on the Isle of Wight? I know it was sometime in August 1945, but the exact date would be helpful.

According to Wikipedia princess Beatrice was buried on the 3th of November, 1944 (she died on the 26th of October), her body was exhumed in August, 1945 and reunited with her husband, Prince Henry, at Whippingham Church.
Wikipedia
Some sources say she was finally buried in August, some sources that in September, like this here:
IsleofwightBeacon

Last edited:
charles coronation would take months of planning
george vi died in feb 52 and the queen wasnt crowned until june 53

(only exception being after edward viii abdicated his planned coronation went ahead just as planned only with a different monarch)

Last edited:
charles coronation would take months of planning
george vi died in feb 53 and the queen wasnt crowned until june 53

King George died in February 52 so it was 16 months till Elizabeth's coronation. In Tonga Queen Salote died in December 1965 and her son wasn't crowned until July 1967.

In a few Arab countries such as the Gulf, mourning period is 40 days.

King George V lies in State
Corbis
The coffin of the late King George V is carried into the chapel at Windsor for his funeral 1936
Corbis
The representatives from foreign countries who took part in the funeral procession of the King George V through the streets of Windsor.
Corbis
The funeral procession the King George V
Corbis
The new King Edward VIII of England takes part in the funeral procession of his late father King George V
Corbis
The funeral procession the King George VI on February 15th 1952
Corbis
Corbis
Men standing by the Casket of King George VI as he was lying in state in the St. Mary Magdalene Church.
Corbis
Guardsmen pallbearers are carrying te coffin of King George VI from the train that bore it from Sandringham to London.
Corbis

Yes, it is the same as Malaysia.
The mourning period is 40 days.

In the UK, the Throne passes to the new Sovereign at the moment of the previous Sovereign's death. Coronation is not actually required. Typically in the UK, the new Sovereign will wait at least one year, as it would seem inappropriate to have a jubilant celebration (the coronation) during the traditional (Victorian, I think) 1 year of mourning.

According to the records in the site for St. George's chapel the coffin of Princess Beatrice was transferred to St. Mildred's Church, Whippingham,
Isle of Wight on 27 August 1945. The burial service was private with only her son and I believe Princess Marie Louise attending.

Royal funerals

These can be one of the largest and most grand occasions ever. I respectfully look forward to the funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth the Second. It will be amazing.

I thought it might be nice to see how different royal families mourn significant members of their rank. The Maori Queen's funeral was spectacular and was almost a week of public mourning and rites.

Green is the traditional colour of mourning for Maori. The majority of the funeral rites were conducted on the sacred courtyard of her official home of Turangawaewae Marae in Ngaruawahia. Royalty from Tonga, Cook Islands, Hawaii and Fiji arrived in official delegations and paid respects to Te Arikinui Te Atairangikaahu.

Here are some pictures.

Close female relatives of the Maori Queen sit in vigil during the entire mourning process. Her eldest child and daughter Heeni takes the place of chief mourner to the left.

Former prime minister of New Zealand pay their respects.
Maori elders ritually welcome visitors to the marae atea (sacred courtyard)

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/71...83CA505F32166322FBDC25324ECC2191F19EEEB4B00E7

Prime Minister Helen Clark was afforded a special place during her official welcoming.

Te Ata's oldest son...Tuheitia was raised up as the new Maori King besides his mother's closed coffin. Maori monarchs are elected in secret by the council of chiefs. The people did not know who their new monarch would be until he walked into the sacred courtyard in procession.

The royal barge that transported her to the sacred mountain of Taupiri where all 5 predecessors are buried.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/71...0C9D9A79A84007C3E867D6F0E3E6AE7C3DB1D2EA1C136

A small flotilla of war canoes accompanied her down the Waikato river.

71684557.jpg

I once heard that Princess Diana's coffin weighed some 40 stone. How did they arrive at that figure, and is this a typical weight for a royal coffin?

Queen Victoria even mourned the death of her much love husband, Prince Albert, for the rest of her life.

I once heard that Princess Diana's coffin weighed some 40 stone. How did they arrive at that figure, and is this a typical weight for a royal coffin?

Traditionally royal coffins are lead lined, hence the seemingly excessively heavy coffin.

King Olav died in January 1991, and King Harald received the blessing from the bishops in Nidarosdomen in June the same year. However, he swore to uphold the Constitution four days after his father's death.

How long the period of mourning lasts, varies, I think. There is the heavy period of mourning, which I've read lasts for about three months, where in the Royal Family doesn't undertake any official engagements.

Does anyone know if the period of mourning would extend to things such as the state opening of parliament in the UK? They couldn't delay that for 3 months, could they? Would the new sovereign perform necessary duties like that, and just cancel all the other royal engagements?

What about things like Remembrance Sunday?

(I have a lot of 'what if' questions, apparently...)

Back
Top Bottom