Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dual cypher of Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales.

Charles Diana.png

The dual cypher of Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales.

Good evening Glasshouse,

I found this cypher of the Prince and Princess of Wales. I know that very small... Sorry. Anyway enjoy !

Attachments

• CD.jpg
    CD.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 2,348
Thanks to fellow forum member, Comte de Hainaut, we have added cyphers for Prince Philippe and the dual cypher for Philippe and Mathilde to Wikimedia.

Philippe.png
pm10.png

Help with identification!! please!

I have this monogram on a knife handle from 1900.
Any ideas anyone??

7 Pointed Crown, and the letters D.E.T....I think...

Attachments

• MONOGRAM.jpg
    MONOGRAM.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 404
It might be F-D-E. I've thought of this in many different ways and I think it might be German in background. It could be for Ferdinand I, King of Bulgaria. Ferdinand was on the throne in 1900, and he was born a German Prince. The initials could stand for "Ferdinand die erste" in German which translates to "Ferdinand the first."

Hello to all. I am hoping that someone will recognize this monogram and be able to help me identify it or point me in the right direction.

I believe it is the French Royal Crown. It is on a match box that is marked "Tonnel Paris". I can't find too much on Tonnel Paris but what little I did find seems to be of high quality. I just purchased the box so would like to know more about it.

Thank you in advance for any help or advise.

Hello to all. I looked thru all the cyphers at wiki. A lot of work has gone into that, you did a great job.

I purchased a match safe on ebay last night. I do not have the item in had yet. But I enjoy researching my purchases.

The case has what looks to me as a Royal Cypher but I am unable to identify it.

Any help is appreciated, even if I knew the Cyphers country it would be a start.

The case was sold/made? in Paris as it contains the markings: Tonnel - Paris, What little I can find on that company is that they made very high end items.

At first I thought the initials were M B. I can definitely make out the M however on closer inspection it may be M and a 3?

Attachments

• 12345.JPG
    12345.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 12345.JPG
    12345.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,396
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. This item looks familiar. Can you produce a better quality photograph or read the letters as they are embossed? Thank you, Lady G

Thank you Lady G. for your quick reply. Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit as I have not received the item. I purchased it online. But I really enjoy researching the fine items I purchase.

If I had to guess without the item in hand I would say the initials are M and B. I can clearly make out the M but the B may be a bit of a stretch.

As soon as the item arrives I will post better pictures.

Again, Thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know when the item arrives? Perhaps then I can have a better answer for you. The crown looks very familiar and the definite letters will help to identify it. Thank you, Lady G

Research on a painting that may have a Royal Connection

Good Afternoon! I am a new member, as of five minutes ago! I have a new painting in my collection that is of a Souliote/Khlept fighter from the Epirus area( pants). I have reason to believe that this painting may be connected to a member of a royal household, as it has a cornet that has been painted in the upper left over the letter "M" and 1762. I believe either that the 1762 is an inventory number or that it is connected to the Souliote Victory over the Ottmans in 1762.
I believe that King Othon commissioned some paintings when he started the Royal Athens School of Art. My questions: Did King Othon have a personal art collection and if so did he take that to Bamberg when he left Greece?
I have come across one painting that came from a sale in 1878. Was there an estate sale or auction in that year? Did Queen Amalia have an estate? Has anyone seen a monogram of the letter M with a six point crown? I also have photographs of this painting. I would love to show them, in case anyone can identify who the sitter is. I would gladly email this photos to any member that may be able to help! I truly would appreciate any insight that you may be able to provide and I would be forever thankful! Stephen.

MJ Monogram 1896-1913

Hello Lady G and all. I now have the case in hand.

First of all let me apologize for posting twice. I first posted in a different thread then found this thread which is much more appropriate.

I have photographed the monogram and highlighted the initials. The case has french hallmarks and French makers mark. The makers mark is A G with a standing lion between the letters. My research shows that this is the makers mark for Alphonse Gombert and was registered between 1896 - 1913.

I am guessing the second letter is a J but open to suggestions. I am still trying to identify the crown.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• mono.jpg
    mono.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,221
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 449
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 515
  • mj.jpg
    mj.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 395
Monogram and Painting

This is the monongram! Thanks!

Here is the painting! The monogram is in the upper left,but the varnish is too bright.

Attachments

• Various Interesting Paintings 013.jpg
    Various Interesting Paintings 013.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Monogram.jpg
    Monogram.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 442
I Think I Have Found My Monogram!

Hello all, well after some research and then going over what I had already looked though I think I have found my monogram! I think it is the Royal Monogram of Queen Maria Pia of Portugal. Which can be found here:

File:Royal Monogram of Queen Maria Pia of Portugal.svg - Wikimedia Commons

500px-Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Maria_Pia_of_Portugal.svg.png

Kate's cypher

I think this cypher totally match to HRH the Duchess of Cambridge :)

Monogram - CC? CD? C? CX?

Hello, I'm another newbie with another unknown monogram/cypher! Can any of you experts help me, please?

I collect porcelain & I've just bought a couple of old plates with this monogram on, but I'm having trouble identifying it. Obviously it's the crown that makes me think it could have a royal/aristocratic connection.

The painter's initials on the backs of the plates look early 18th century, but the seller thinks they're 19th.

Either way, identifying the monogram would be a start to finding out something about their history. I'd be extremely grateful for any pointers - many thanks for your help.

Serena

unknownmonogram.jpg

Serena, it might be more easily recognized by it's pattern. I'm assuming this is a maker's mark.

Hello, I'm another newbie with another unknown monogram/cypher! Can any of you experts help me, please?
I am currently reading a book called "The Private Realm of Marie Antoinette" and I could almost swear that looks like her cypher...! Hmmm.. I will check it tonite for sure and let you know!

Thanks for such quick replies :)

Kitty: the monogram is on the front of the plate, in the middle (see pic below). The painter's / potter's initials on the back are PAK, which usually signifies a particular delft factory in the early 1700s (though these initials were undoubtedly copied/reused at some point). There's no other "maker's mark", unless of course the monogram is in fact a factory fancy done for show / demonstration - which is always possible.

It's difficult to see in this pic, but it's all hand painted - not transfer etc. as many were later. The plate is fluted, though the pattern hides this.

unknownmonogram2.jpg

Moonmaiden23: if that turned out to be the case I'd faint on the spot - I just liked the intricate paintwork, & thought the monogram interesting! ;) But yes, much obliged for the check. Who knows!

Serena

Coat of Arms help.... PLEASE!

Can anyone out there help me please... I recently bought a tapestry with a coat of arms. I was told that it once belonged to a relation of the Queen.. although I can find nothing to substantiate that. Can anyone help me to identify who the coat of arms is for? A family name perhaps? It is a white cross on a black shield, on a gold/yellow shield. Surmounted by a horse with ermine heraldic icons.

Attachments

• 2011-05-23_18-25-25_935.jpg
    2011-05-23_18-25-25_935.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 374
:previous:
Can't help you, but it looks like a French design. It looks more like a church banner than a personal coat of arms. It is beautiful.

While I do agree that it looks like a church banner.. looks can be deceiving. The Cross Flory (the symbol in the middle) means "One who has conquered". It would be unusual (I would think) for a church banner to carry this meaning.

With the horse on top, it appears to be some sort of arms or family crest, rather than a church banner, and might be French in origin.. But that is just my opinion.

Regardless of origin, it truly is a wonderful piece :flowers:

cypher/monogram

Hello,
I have recently come across this cypher and I have looked everywhere but cannot find who it belongs to. Can any of you experts help me please?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• DSC04306 (1).jpg
    DSC04306 (1).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 361
:previous:
Somewhere for you to start: the strawberry leaf coronet is that of a British Duke.

Ducal Coronet

Attachments

• 4 Ducal coronet.jpg
    4 Ducal coronet.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,296
unusual british royal monogram ? any ideas

hi folks, at the royal forums,i recently bought this object which could be a tea cosy..or hand warmer......it has a beautifully embroidered decoration, and a royal monogram..i thought it might be queen victoria..but i believe it is VPM or PM...any ideas would be wonderful. and also what is the object. ? mon3.jpg

mon2.jpg

mon1.jpg.. many thanks gs

Hello all,
I am brand new; here's hoping I'm doing this right.

I am trying to identify a monogram gold-tooled into the binding of a volume of 16 English almanacs for year 1701. The binding is of maroon sheepskin and is roughly contemporary. The monogram (maybe a dual cypher?) is composed of the entrelac initials "W R," and is surmounted with generic sovereign crown. When I bought the book, I figured it was William III (Wilhelmus Rex) because the date is about right, but I can't find this monogram in any of the standard references. For all I know, it's not even English (though other aspects of the binding definitely are), Scottish, Irish, OR Dutch. And it's certainly possible that it is purely fanciful.

Thanks, all!

ps The height of the monogram is 13 mm.

Attachments

• Almanacs Binding 2.jpg
    Almanacs Binding 2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 424
  • monogram 1701 for web.jpg
    monogram 1701 for web.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 450
A monogram of a member of the Russian Imperial Family.
I am trying to find a russian aristocracy family with a photo of some china and it's monogram, how can I do that, help please

Any Heraldry Experts Out There?

I just completed a good discussion in this forum about the possible future ducal titles for Harry. That led me to thinking about the future ducal titles for the sons of William and Kate (the eldest son being obvious of course) but what about any subsequent sons? This then led my imagination to the Coat of Arms for the sons of William & Kate, before they become Kings or Dukes in their own right.

Below is my described projections for the first born and second born sons of William & Kate. There should also be attachements to this post showing the shield of arms graphically.

William's Son #1.
Quarterly, 1st and 4th Gules three lions passant gardant in pale Or armed and langued Azure (for England), 2nd quarter Or a lion rampant within a double tressure flory-counter-flory Gules (for Scotland), 3rd quarter Azure a harp Or stringed Argent (for Ireland), with over all a label of three points Argent the central point charged with an Acorn Or in honor of his mother Catherine Middleton.

William's Son#2.
Quarterly, 1st and 4th Gules three lions passant gardant in pale Or armed and langued Azure (for England), 2nd quarter Or a lion rampant within a double tressure flory-counter-flory Gules (for Scotland), 3rd quarter Azure a harp Or stringed Argent (for Ireland), with over all a label of five points Argent the first, third and fifth points charged with an Acorn Or in honor of his mother Catherine Middleton, unless Son#2 is titled Duke of York where the points may be charged with an Anchor Azure as with previous Dukes of York.

Any other thoughts out there?

Attachments

• Son#1.jpg
    Son#1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Son#2.jpg
    Son#2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom