Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone else form the Belgian Royal Family have monogram? I haven seen one from Queen Paola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, Prince Laurent, or Princess Claire. Will King Albert's grandchildren create a monogram of their own?

chanel said:
I would love to see the monagrams for Marie-Chantal and Pavlos, for Alexia and Carlos, and of course for the younger greek royals Nikoloas, Theodora, and Philippos. Are there any for the younger ones? Are there any monograms for the older two couples that are other than their wedding day that can be read? The flowers are just slightly hard to understand.... or read!!

As far as Pavlo's and Mari Chantal's is being concerned, it's probably because of the use of the letter Π (P) with which Pavlos' name starts in Greek. There's no such prob with TM or Alexia.

i found these:

from Det Kongelige Bibliotek--National Library and Copenhagen University Library (apparently they are from missing books):

King Frederik VII
HMKingFrederik7.jpg

King Christian VI
HMKingChristian7a.jpg

Christoffer Heerfort's book Herbarium Danicum sempervivum published in 1656. the book is dedicated to King Frederik III and Queen Sophie Amalie whose monograms are embossed on the cover:

monogram of King Christian VII of Norway, from iStockphoto:
HMKingChristian7.jpg

just a question: these kings ruled the united kingdoms of Norway and Denmark, right?

you can see more of these monograms on the Library's link for missing books with the royal monograms as identifying marks: http://www.kb.dk/kb/missingbooks/marks/monograms.htm

Last edited:
RhapsodyBrat said:
just a question: these kings ruled the united kingdoms of Norway and Denmark, right?
The last king of both Denmark and Norway was Frederik VI. Christian VIII was also king in both countries, but not at the same time. He was elected king in Norway in 1814 - but as the European powers failed to accept it, he went back to Denmark where he succeeded his cousin Frederik VI.

As a graphic and heraldic designer I have always been interested in royal cyphers and as of late been asked by many wealthy patrons to design personal cyphers. I have to say if you are intersted in really beautiful ones look for the cyphers of Imperial Russia, all Grand Duke and Grand Duchessses had them (and there were a lot!) plus the use of the Cyrillic alphabet make them real design challenges. I will look through my records and post some when I find the examples.

paulette said:
A monogram of a member of the Russian Imperial Family.
cool! But are you sure? It looks like another version of Elizabeth II's. :ermm:

EIIR hasn't had her monogram done in diamond brooches, so it's unlikely it's hers. The Russians, however, would have had no problem running around with their monograms in diamonds. Ekaterina is the Russian version of Catherine, so it probably is Catherine the Great's, like the previous poster stated.

On the Danish Royal Website, HH Princess Alexandra's page used to display her monogram, even several months after the divorce. I just recently noticed it is no longer displayed on the English version of the website, dispite others' monograms still being visible on their respective pages. I thought it may have been deliberate, but then checked the site in Danish and saw that her monogram is still displayed there.

org.gif

On the whole, the prominence of monograms seems most emphasized on the Danish and Swedish Royal Websites.

I think the prominence of monograms is clearly emphasized on the Danish royal websites in part because HM The Queen designed them herself... and they are beautiful, indeed.

The monograms used to be featured prominently on the Swedish royal website, but I don't see them anymore.

As for HH Princess Alexandra... I too noticed the same thing a few months ago and wondered if the divorce was the reason it's been removed from her personal page (although it's still on the monogram page).

Quenn Sonja

Her Majesty Queen Sonja of Notway's cypher.

Attachments

• sonja mono.jpg
    sonja mono.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,606
King Harald

His Majesty King Harald V of Norway's cípher

Attachments

• velkommen_172533a.jpg
    velkommen_172533a.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,174
Lord Sosnowitz said:
His Majesty King Harald V of Norway's cípher
I think there are 2 different ciphers for King Harald.
The one you posted: The H and a 5
but also: a H and the Roman 5, so a V.

The Norwegian royals' monograms are up on their redesigned official website. If you go to "The Royal Family" and click each individual profile, you can see them here: kongehuset.no - English

The Monogramme of HRH The Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner is very similar to that of HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy with the obvious exception of the crowns.

Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, still maintains a monogram even after her re-marriage, but the crown about the "A" has been down-graded from a royal crown to a countess crown.

Old monogram and new monogram

(Picture and info from Billed Bladet)

when does one receive a royal monogram? is it created at birth, or at a certain age? what does the R stand for in Queen Elizabeth's monogram?

when does one receive a royal monogram? is it created at birth, or at a certain age? what does the R stand for in Queen Elizabeth's monogram?
The R means Regina for all queen's and queen consorts. The R in the king's name means Rex.

Their monogram is very plain but it's really nice. Does Letizia has her own monogram? I hardly see any of the Spanish royals' monograms unlike other houses. I would love to see their monogram esp. the individual monograms. I like it that the Norwegian royals created one for little Ingrid and Sverre. Does the other royal kids have their own monogram?

I don't think any other royal kids have their own monograms (besides Christian, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus). Interestingly enough, Queen Margrethe, who designed the monograms for Christian, IA and Sverre (plus all their parents), hasn't designed one for little Isabella.

Maybe it's a Scandinavia thing to have a monogram for the kids. I was also suprised the Queen didn't design a monogram for Isabella, maybe later on.

I don't think any other royal kids have their own monograms (besides Christian, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus). Interestingly enough, Queen Margrethe, who designed the monograms for Christian, IA and Sverre (plus all their parents), hasn't designed one for little Isabella.
I never knew Margrethe designed the ones of IA and Magnus!

About Isabella:
I guess she'll get her own monogram as well. Christian got his own monogram when he was a little older, too. So, I think they'll wait a while until Isabella is a bit older..

I never knew Margrethe designed the ones of IA and Magnus!

About Isabella:
I guess she'll get her own monogram as well. Christian got his own monogram when he was a little older, too. So, I think they'll wait a while until Isabella is a bit older..

Christian got his monogram when he was around the six-month mark. This is probably because he is the direct heir after Frederik, while Isabella is the 'spare'. Bella probably won't get one until she turns 18, like her cousins Nikolai and Felix

I can't believe we have to wait until they turn 18 to see a monogram - understandable, of course, but disappointing for us royal watchers. ;)

sgl: What does the logo for the wedding look like? I didn't know there was a logo - I thought it was just the joint monogram.

Some more...

I found some:
1., HRH Princess Beatrice of York's coat of arms
2., HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's cypher
3., HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's crest
4., TM The King & Queen of The Belgians, dual cypher
5., HRH The Duchess of Brabant's cypher
6., HM The Queen Of The Belgians's cypher

Attachments

• beatrice.jpg
    beatrice.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,109