Royal Courtiers, Ladies in Waiting, Staff, etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ladies in waiting

Does Letizia have a "lady-in-waiting"?

ldt20 said:
Does Letizia have a "lady-in-waiting"?

Not, in Spain this position does not exist. When the current Kings occupied the throne they decided that court should not exist. The Queen Sofia does not have it either.;)

what is lady- in- waiting?

Definition of a Lady-in-waiting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lady-in-waiting is a female personal assistant at a noble court, attending to a queen, a princess or other noblewoman. A lady-in-waiting is often a noblewoman of lower rank (i.e., a lesser noble) than the one she attends to, and is not considered a servant or other commoner. Their duties varied from monarchy to monarchy. In Tudor England they were divided into four separate caste systems - great ladies, ladies of the privy chamber, maids of honour and chamberers. The ladies of the privy chamber were the ones who were closest to the queen, but most of the other women were the maids of honour. Female relatives were often appointed because they could be trusted confidantes to the queen; Lady Margaret Lee was a Lady of the Privy Chamber to Queen Anne Boleyn, just as Lady Elizabeth Seymour-Cromwell was to Queen Jane Seymour. The duties of ladies-in-waiting at the Tudor court were to act as royal companions, and to accompany the Queen wherever she went. Tudor queens often had a large degree of say in who became their ladies-in-waiting. Sometimes Ladies-in-Wating would be a lady's older sister who never got married and came to keep her sister company.
The term is also used in film and stage, to describe an actress whose role consists of very little action or involvement.
This attitude was very different to ladies-in-waiting to French queens under the later Bourbon dynasty. Ladies-in-waiting often acted as glorified but distant companions to the Spanish and Polish wives of Louis XIV and Louis XV. Under France's last Bourbon queen, Marie-Antoinette several of her favourite ladies-in-waiting - namely Yolande, duchesse de Polignac acquired huge influence and wealth for themselves.
In later years, the ladies-in-waiting became discreet companions to the royal ladies of Europe, a practice which continues to this day.
In the Royal Household of the United Kingdom the term Lady-in-Waiting is used to describe a woman attending a female member of the Royal Family other than the Queen Regnant or Queen Consort. An attendant upon one of the latter is style Lady of the Bedchamber or Woman of the Bedchamber, and the senior Lady in Waiting is the Mistress of the Robes. The Women are in regular attendance, but the Mistress of the Robes and the Ladies of the Bedchamber are normally only required for ceremonial occasions. There were formerly other offices, including Maids of Honour.

The Spanish Royal Household has a full staff of secretaries that take care of: protocol, planning, relationship with the media, etc.

The King, Queen and Prince each have their own "secretary". I guess Letizia now shares with Felipe.

http://www.casareal.es/esp/laCasa/lacasa.html

I don't know if anybody goes with them and assists them when they travel or do their official outings.

Does anybody know what Royal Households have ladies in waiting?

Last edited by a moderator:
So who helps them or assists them during their official outings?

I think Sofia doesn't need, but maybe for Letizia, she will be a good help, at least for these first times.

The Queen has a secretary who directs her small equipment, the Infantas also have secretaries who depend on the equipment of the Queen. They are quite men. The Princess depends on the Secretariat of the Prince and of that they form a part of the equipment of the Prince.
In the trips importantly spueden to have a person who helps them with the clothes or a heirdresser.

nayralorenzo said:
I think Sofia doesn't need, but maybe for Letizia, she will be a good help, at least for these first times.
In Spain a court does not exist and therefore this possibility did not exist, I believe that for the Spanish society it would be very strange to return to something like that.
What Letizia needs or it will be necessary when they decide that she should develop her own activity, it is a secretary with that to form equipment. Someone who helps her in her work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ldt20 said:
The Spanish Royal Household has a full staff of secretaries that take care of: protocol, planning, relationship with the media, etc.

The King, Queen and Prince each have their own "secretary". I guess Letizia now shares with Felipe.

http://www.casareal.es/esp/laCasa/lacasa.html

I don't know if anybody goes with them and assists them when they travel or do their official outings.

Does anybody know what Royal Households have ladies in waiting?

Always they are accompanied by people, depending on the act. In the trips of State or officials they are in the habit of being accompanied by the Chief of the Royal House or the General Secretary.
In the trip of the Kings to Jordan were the Chief of the Royal House, the Secretary, the Chief of Security, that of press and that of protocol.

In the small visits there come their secretaries and assistants who are in the habit of being military. This way it is in the habit of being in case of the Kings and the Princes. The Infantas I imagine that they are accompanied of her secretaries.

Does anyone know if Queen Paola, Crown Princes Mathlide, Princess Claire, or Princess Astrid have a lady-in-waiting or assistant.

rebbevb said:
i dont think she has one

I beg to differ.

I don't think there is a single Crown Princess in Europe without a lady in waiting.

But mum's the word .... it being a position of privilege and more so, honour.

hrhcp said:
I beg to differ.

I don't think there is a single Crown Princess in Europe without a lady in waiting.

But mum's the word .... it being a position of privilege and more so, honour.

Maxima doesn't have a lady in waiting. If the occasion warrants one then Queen Beatrix lends her one of hers to accompany her.

There's also been no announcement as to whether Camilla has a lady in waiting. They are usually formally announced.

none of the spanish royals have lady in waiting.

Charlotte1 said:
Maxima doesn't have a lady in waiting. If the occasion warrants one then Queen Beatrix lends her one of hers to accompany her.

In daily practice Princess Máxima always has a Hofdame in her enclosure, but because these ladies are in the Queen's personal service and are paid by the Queen herself, do have appartments in the Queen's residences and fall under the 'Honorary Household', we formally can not label them as 'Máxima's Hofdame'. In practice the Queen's Hofdames (6 ladies) and Dames du Palais (appr. 4 ladies) have a shift which also 'covers' the engagements of the Princess of Orange.

:flowers:

really?

ive noticed that many Royals have ladies or should i say people, in waiting, and others dont.
but what exactly is the job of a Lady or person in waiting?
:wacko:
i know it seems stupid to ask, but im curious:neutral:
thank you!:flowers:

I Know That Cp Mary Has A Lady In Waiting, You Can See Her In Many Photos, She Is A Bit Taller Than Mary And Looks Very Nice

Explanation

Saudiprincipessa said:
ive noticed that many Royals have ladies or should i say people, in waiting, and others dont.
but what exactly is the job of a Lady or person in waiting?
:wacko:
i know it seems stupid to ask, but im curious:neutral:
thank you!:flowers:

See the link please.

Caroline Elizabeth Heering-Kjær

tamar said:
I Know That Cp Mary Has A Lady In Waiting, You Can See Her In Many Photos, She Is A Bit Taller Than Mary And Looks Very Nice

The Hofdame of Crown Princess Mary is Caroline Heering, born Kjær.

She is the daughter of Helle Kirsten Countess Moltke of Bregentved and Jomfruens Egede, born Flamand, formerly Kjær.

Last edited:
on wikipedia, I found a presentation of (minimum number of) household staff, that I thought the readers here might in interested in ....

"Household staff

Practices vary depending on the size of the household and the preference of the employers, but in general the staff is divided into departments run by the:
  • Butler--the head of household staff in most homes; in charge of the pantry, wine cellar and dining room. In a small house the butler also valets for the master of the house. Male staff report to him. The butler is often engaged by the master of the house but usually reports to the lady of the house or sometimes to the housekeeper.
  • Cook--in charge of the kitchen and kitchen staff. Sometimes a chef is employed with several subordinate cooks. The cook usually reports directly to the lady of the house but sometimes to the housekeeper.
  • Housekeeper--responsible for the house and its appearance; in charge of all female servants. In grand homes the butler and cook sometimes report to the housekeeper.
Support staff

Junior staff

Grounds staff

An Estate Manager may have charge of the maintenance and care of the grounds, landscaping, and outbuildings (pool, cabana, stables, greenhouse etc.) which is divided into departments run by the:
Support staff

Thank you for the info. It's very useful to me. I see that Royal families still have a great Household Staff.

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Thank you for the info. It's very useful to me. I see that Royal families still have a great Household Staff.

Vanesa.

In the Netherlands some 400 to 800 persons, depending on how you count (only workforce effectively receiving their monthly payment slip from the Royal Household Services), or everyone who works for the Queen's Household like the security (police and armed forces but detached into the Queen's Household) or the the workers from the Royal Forestry (who formally are paid by the Crown Domains) but are effectively working for the Queen's pleasure.

Last edited:
No royal household

hrhcp said:
on wikipedia, I found a presentation of (minimum number of) household staff, that I thought the readers here might in interested in ....

That was a nice list but not really the description of a royal household. It is typically the household of a big country estate or stately home.

A royal household also has functions like Chamberlain, Mistress of the Robes, Crown Equerry, Court Chaplain, Court Jeweller, etc.

What is a "lady in waiting" 's (French : dame de compagnie) job ?

This vital question has been haunting my mind for a while :stuart:

Is it a maid ? A servant ? A friend ? A mix between this all ?

Does anyone know ?

What is their training ? How are they chosen ? What do they exactly do ? How many of them do Royals have at their disposal ? When ? In what do their jobs differ from other servant jobs ?

I swear I'm not going to apply to Buckingham Palace but I am really curious about this uncommon job :blush:

Absolutely no maid!

This vital question has been haunting my mind for a while :stuart:

Is it a maid ? A servant ? A friend ? A mix between this all ?

Does anyone know ?

What is their training ? How are they chosen ? What do they exactly do ? How many of them do Royals have at their disposal ? When ? In what do their jobs differ from other servant jobs ?

I swear I'm not going to apply to Buckingham Palace but I am really curious about this uncommon job :blush:

:eek: :lol:

In short you can say that a lady-in-waiting (this is the English term, in my country it is called Hofdame ("Dame of the Court") or Dame du Palais ("Dame of the Palace"). They are definitely no maids or servants. In the Netherlands, but also in the United Kingdom, they use to be ladies of certain descent, with an excellent standing in society. Often it are noble or patrician (upper class) ladies who are "approved company to Her Majesty", so to say.

In the Netherlands the Hofdames and Dames du Palais are not paid. Their expenses for their functioning and representation are met by The Queen. So you need to be financially independent. It is seen as an utmost honour to be asked (you don't apply, you are 'asked') for this position. After all, after the family, you are the closest as possible to the Sovereign.

It is a very high position at the Court. In the Netherlands (and I assume in the United Kingdom it is comparable) the ladies do not belong to the regular staff (= cooks, footmen, maids) but are part of the 'Household Honorair", and are led by the Grootmeesteres (Grandmastress, in the United Kingdom: Mistress of the Robes) who only has one boss: The Queen.

In the Netherlands there are 6 Hofdames and 5 Dames du Palais. The difference has somewhat gone: Hofdames used to be unmarried ladies, while Dames du Palais were married ladies. Now there is in fact no real difference: Dames du Palais now are senior Hofdames with a long record. They have a weekly shift, so that means once in the 5 à 6 weeks they are on duty. Their high position is illustrated by the fact that they have their own appartments inside the palace, do receive their own guests in their salons and travel together with The Queen, usually next to her (since Queen Beatrix is a widow, she has no accompany from her spouse).

The Grootmeesteres used to give her own New Year's reception for the Corps Diplomatique. But this has been abolished. The Grootmeesteres, the Hofdames and the Dames du Palais however do organize diners and receptions and act as the eyes and ears of The Queen. They also represent The Queen at weddings and funerals of important figures and keep in touch with the aristocracy.

I hope this gave enough insight.

:)

Last edited:
Hofdames and the complicated rules at the Court

Coincidentally on the Benelux Royal Message Board a poster, named Joris, posted a link to an exhibition with an interesting insight in what was discussed in the latest post:

An excerpt:

The Hague in the Netherlands, home to the Court and the nobility, city of politicians and ambassadors, has always been sophisticated and outward-looking. La Haye even had its own language, known as Hagois, a striking mixture of Dutch and French. The city’s refinement is reflected in the gowns that have been preserved of hofdames, dames du palais and others who moved in Court circles.

They wore these fashionable creations at receptions, dinners, balls, investitures and weddings, but also during times of mourning. In entertainment circles one could dress less formally than at Court but here, too, the smart set of The Hague showed class.

A large and truly unique collection of garments has been preserved from the wardrobe of Jonkvrouw (= noble lady) Henriëtte van de Poll (1853-1946), hofdame to the Queen Emma of the Netherlands, whose many letters provide a peek behind the palace screens. A host of anecdotes betrays a society in which fashion was a matter of life and death.
Each item of clothing has its own special story that reveals the Court’s written and unwritten rules. When did you wear a manteau de cour, what did demi-montante mean, what should you wear for light mourning and what on earth was meant by compulsory décolleté?
happy.gif

Henri M.,
Thanks for the insightful answers. I definitely thought that a lady-in-waiting was a graceful way of saying servant.

Weren't they mostly from aristocracy or nobility?

Back
Top Bottom