The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Commoner

Rules

There are rules about regnant royals versus non regnant. A regent rules for a regnant royal by their side until they are of majority age. Check with debretts. They might have more information on this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
In countries like Sweden or the Netherlands, and I suppose also in Belgium, the regent is chosen by the country's parliament and doesn't necessarily have to be the next adult in line to the throne. For example, if I am not mistaken, it has been decided in the Netherlands that, if Princess Amalia ascends the throne before turning 18, her mother, Queen Maxima, will serve as regent if available, as opposed to her uncle, prince Constantijn. I also believe that, in Spain, the constitution explicitly gives precedence to a surviving parent over the next adult in line to be the regent. Conversely, in the UK, I believe the law says the next adult in line automatically becomes the regent.

In summary, rules change from country to country and you may choose any of the aforementioned models for your novel.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Traditionally, in European monarchies, two possible rules are/were used to name a regent for an underage monarch:
  1. The monarch's surviving parent becomes the regent (in the past, that usually meant the monarch's mother).
  2. The next adult person in the line of succession becomes the regent (previously, under male-preference succession, that person would normally be the monarch's uncle, unless the former monarch had no brothers).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of models 1 and 2, and how would they compare to an alternative model 3 where Parliament appoints a regent or a regency council composed of people who are not related to the monarch and are not in the line of succession themselves?
Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Traditionally, in European monarchies, two possible rules are/were used to name a regent for an underage monarch:
  1. The monarch's surviving parent becomes the regent (in the past, that usually meant the monarch's mother).
  2. The next adult person in the line of succession becomes the regent (previously, under male-preference succession, that person would normally be the monarch's uncle, unless the former monarch had no brothers).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of models 1 and 2, and how would they compare to an alternative model 3 where Parliament appoints a regent or a regency council composed of people who are not related to the monarch and are not in the line of succession themselves?
I am not an expert, but I thought model 3, or combinations of 1, 2 and/or 3 (e.g., a regency council headed by the queen dowager or the prince next in line to the throne) were traditionally commonplace in European monarchies.

In the present-day European monarchies, I think a council of regency is unnecessarily complex (even though it remains the arrangement provided by the Norwegian constitution). A regency council may balance the interests of jealous factions or prevent a single ambitious regent from exceeding their authority, but those functions are fairly irrelevant to today's European monarchs, who either operate as apolitical figureheads or govern politically stable microstates.

As for the alternatives of monarch's surviving parent versus the next adult in the line of succession to the throne, I think that, in this age of slimming down European royal houses, the surviving parent will in most cases be better suited, owing to her day to day exposure to the constitutional and representative duties of the monarchy during her time as queen consort or crown princess consort. In a slimmed-down royal house, the next adult in line to the throne (who most often will be a younger child of a previous monarch) will likely have a modicum of experience from occasional official engagements, but will have spent most of their adult life in the private sector.

However, while appointing the surviving parent is more beneficial to the monarchy, it is less beneficial to the child monarch and their siblings. Losing one parent as a child and then being deprived of family time with the surviving parent because, as regent, their time and energy are occupied by the heavy demands of serving as de facto monarch, is not ideal for children. If there is another senior working royal who is competent and available (such as the young monarch's grandparent), that would be the better option, in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Historically, option 2 was seen as being best, because the child monarch's surviving parent would usually have been a princess or noblewoman of another country, and would therefore have been biased towards that country. For example, Mary of Guise, whilst acting as regent in Scotland, was strongly biased towards the Guise faction in France.