Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
moosey60 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 7:19 pm

.... I think that the Queen will normally wear the visiting country's sash, while the male monarch will wear the one of his own country.

That's what I've observed.
That observation escaped me.
Thanks .

But Moosey60,
what 'order' is Queen Sylvia honouring, or what order has she been honoured with?
in ie:
King Christian  Posted on Oct 7th, 2003 - 10:50 pm
  The sash worn by Queen Sylvia is which Jordanian order?

Hmmm...it's the highest female Jordanian order. The King has that chain-type thing...I don't know, it was somewhat discussed in the Jordanian State Visit forum over in the Swedish royal family archives.

Polfoto 17-03-1999 Nelson Mandela, President of South Africa, stands right to Swedens King Carl VXI Gustaf upon arrival to Stockholm palace Wednesday March 17,1999. To the left Swedish Crown Princess Victoria, who usually studies in the USA

Is this perhaps a South African sash or order?

Attachments

• SW_family_490t.jpg
    SW_family_490t.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 397
I got a message off the The Scandinavian Royals Message Board

that there are two almost similar sashes where the Danish Royal Family and a Greek Order is concerned. What was said, was
Re: Order of the Elephant  Posted by Kelly on 12/10/2003, 6:07:05

No that's a Greek Order. See how it's worn on the right shoulder? The Elephant is worn on the left shoulder. And the Greek order has bands of a paler blue along each side. The Elephant doesn't.

Does anyone know which Greek order Nikolaos has? Does he have the light blue one (is it St George & St Constantine?) like his parents or the dark blue one (I think it's St Olga & St Sofia) like his sis-in-law?
Would it be possible to see a picture of this Greek sash with a "paler blue" along each edge of the sash ?

What is the order of the sash Marie-Chantal is wearing? Does Alexia's husband Carlos Morales have a sash as well, or is his situation similar to Ari Behn's, who are "merely" the husbands of princesses so they don't have sashes. Whereas Mette-Marit and Marie-Chantal both have sashes because they are married to crown princes?

This picture is compliments of Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid
and shows Queen Elizabeth II wearing a sash which honours which country or order?

Attachments

• ry_uk_yellow_sashAADS001552.jpeg
    ry_uk_yellow_sashAADS001552.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 410
I've learned a lot about sashes, and am still learning.

There is a humungous number of sashes out there, and what I have decided to do, is open separate topics for each country that gives out sashes.

I realize the foregoing terminology might not be entirely correct, but seeing I am still a learner at this, I trust the more knowledgeable on this MB will give me the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

To summarize, briefly, I've learned that
1. Belgium appears to have only one (1) sash.
2. Luxemburg appears to have only one (1) sash.
3. The Netherlands has at least two (2) sashes.

4. Great Britain has at least two (2) sashes.
5. Spain has numerous sashes.
6. Greece has three if not more sashes.

7. Norway might have two or more sashes.
8. Denmark has two or more sashes.
9. Sweden has two or more sashes.

10. Jordan appears to have two sashes so far.
11. Japan seems to have a lot of sashes.

12. Germany has an official sash, and Prince Ernst August might have a separate sash.
13. Finland has an official sash.

Also, sashes appear to be part of chivalric orders ... which is something I never ever imagined and really opens the field far more than I would like. Perhaps some-one else might want to take the lead on chivalric orders, garters, stars, chains, etc?

Crown Prince Frederik is wearing the sash of Thailand, I believe.

Attachments

• DK_frederick_152.jpg
    DK_frederick_152.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,020
Hard to make out the golden yellow sash Queen Margrethe is wearing with all the vibrant colours of her own gown, but this is also the sash of Thailand, perhaps the highest honour there is?

Attachments

• DK_margrethe_119a.jpg
    DK_margrethe_119a.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 838
Same dress, different occasion, different sash - Queen Margrethe with a sash from Finland.

Attachments

• DK_margrethe_134.jpg
    DK_margrethe_134.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 741
Princess Caroline with the Monaco sash.

Attachments

• MO_caroline_101.jpg
    MO_caroline_101.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 387
Prince Ernst of Hanover with the German sash.

Does Caroline now have a German sash, too, because of her marriage to Ernst?

Attachments

• MO_family_101a.jpg
    MO_family_101a.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 377
The yellow sash of QEII's looks like the same as QMargarethe's. Possibly the same Thai sash...different Thai state visits?

State visit by Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip to Norway. King Harald with the British sash and Queen Elizabeth II with the Norwegian order.

Attachments

• NY_EN_110.jpg
    NY_EN_110.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 380
Definitely the South African sash, King Harald with Graca Machel (?), the wife of former South African president Nelson Mandela.

Attachments

• NY_harald_106.jpg
    NY_harald_106.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 337
What is this blue sash that King Harald has on? ... Or maybe it just matches with his outfit?!

Attachments

• NY_harald_sonja_127.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_127.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 746
Queen Beatrix with a different sash than the Dutch one.

Attachments

• NL_beatrix_claus_110.jpg
    NL_beatrix_claus_110.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 433
Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 12th, 2003 - 8:28 pm
What is this blue sash that King Harald has on? ... Or maybe it just matches with his outfit?!
Wasn't this picture from a trip to Britain? I believe that's the Garter sash KHarald is wearing.

Infanta Cristina with yet another sash ... The Spanish royals must have some extra room in their closets for all the sashes they collect!

Attachments

• SP_cristina_161.jpg
    SP_cristina_161.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 587
justine  Posted on Oct 12th, 2003 - 9:35 pm

(Alexandria @ Oct 12th, 2003 - 8:28 pm)
Wasn't this picture from a trip to Britain? I believe that's the Garter sash King Harald is wearing.
I agree.. it had to do with a visit to Britain .. some Colonel-in-Chief ritual.

But Garters are beyond me at the moment .... I know there to be at least 4 if not more Garters that Queen E presides over, if somebody else could begin a thread on that, I might learn some more !!!?!!!

The German state visit to Spain, part I.

Attachments

• SP_family_151a.jpg
    SP_family_151a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 675
The German state visit to Spain, part II.

Attachments

• SP_family_151b.jpg
    SP_family_151b.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 656
I think this was a state visit by El Salvadore? I'm not really sure.

Attachments

• SP_family_189.jpg
    SP_family_189.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 721
Prince Charles and Princess Diana visit Spain ... Aren't the Prince of Wales and King of Spain wearing their own sashes? I thought you were supposed to honour the other country by wearing their's?

Attachments

• SP_EN_104.jpg
    SP_EN_104.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 415
Another one of the Spanish royals with their sashes. If I were a member of this family I think I would need a cheat sheet to know which sash to wear to which function!

Attachments

• SP_family_203.jpg
    SP_family_203.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 516
The King of Spain with an apple green sash ...

Attachments

• SP_family_281.jpg
    SP_family_281.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 386
King Paul and Queen Frederika of Greece.

Attachments

• GK_frederika_paul_100.jpg
    GK_frederika_paul_100.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 500
Belgian state visit to Japan ... or the other way around?

Attachments

• BM_JP_100.jpg
    BM_JP_100.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 372
I believe this was the Swedish state visit to Belgium.

Attachments

• BM_mathilde_150.jpg
    BM_mathilde_150.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 537
Back
Top Bottom